Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

bawfuls posted:

Troy Percival - 22.34 (who?)

He gave this up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol2_UkJS6kw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Does Purge go in as a Ranger or a Marlin?

He was only a Marlin for a year or so.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

Posada played catcher for most of his 17 year career with an OPS+ of 121 and lead a loaded rear end Yankees team in WAR twice

Yeah he's not a hall of famer to me but position/rings/the Yankees make him at least a slight surprise to fall immediately off the ballot.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Obviously he's not a hall-of-famer, but Derek Lee owned.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

I like the guy on the Angels saying "that's the farthest hit ball I've ever seen in my life"

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

R.D. Mangles posted:

Obviously he's not a hall-of-famer, but Derek Lee owned.

I still say he should have won the MVP the year he hit 46 home runs but I'm biased and wrong but I don't care.

in other news, now Kyle Farnsworth can brag that he was traded for a Hall of Famer.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Veterans' Committee should let Farnsworth in for being the best brawler in baseball for an entire generation.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Veterans' Committee should let Farnsworth in for being the best brawler in baseball for an entire generation.

He racky-tacked Paul Wilson.

tm Steve Stone

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Intruder posted:

Posada played catcher for most of his 17 year career with an OPS+ of 121 and lead a loaded rear end Yankees team in WAR twice

He's worth 1.2 more WAR for his career than Jason Kendall.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

He's worth 1.2 more WAR for his career than Jason Kendall.

Jason Kendall was good and also led the league in grotesque ankle injuries and looking exactly like the pittsburgh pirates logo

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

R.D. Mangles posted:

Jason Kendall was good and also led the league in grotesque ankle injuries and looking exactly like the pittsburgh pirates logo

He looked like a yellow P?

(insert Trump joke here)

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

also for tackling Jeremy Affeldt

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Intruder posted:

Also, he only led the Yankees in WAR once and that was in 2000, beating out such luminaries as Scott Brosius and a 37-year-old Paul O'Neill.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Jorge Posada was bad at defense and Pudge was the best defensive catcher in baseball for a decade

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Your Taint posted:

He was only a Marlin for a year or so.
But he won 100% more championships

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Question: why haven't the Rangers retired more numbers? They've played in Arlington for 45 years, surely they think more than two guys deserve the honor.

The Rangers/new Senators are not a very historically successful team, basically.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Now that Pudge is in, the voters can't use the PED excuse anymore.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

IcePhoenix posted:

Jorge Posada was bad at defense and Pudge was the best defensive catcher in baseball for a decade

I don't think anyone other than maybe one of the Yankees guys is arguing Posada's a legit hall of famer.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Jim Thome First Ballot for corn fed midwesterner dingers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA4X0mMwWtg

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Question: why haven't the Rangers retired more numbers? They've played in Arlington for 45 years, surely they think more than two guys deserve the honor.

Because we've largely sucked. Oates (26) and Ryan (34) are the only retired numbers we have, presently. 7 is surely coming soon. I like saving retired numbers for truly special players.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Shiroc posted:

Jim Thome First Ballot for corn fed midwesterner dingers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA4X0mMwWtg

This was in the related videos for those of you too young to remember the Albert Belle corked bat thievery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC6abVMozbI

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
They should make a special wing for the PED era that starts out small, but tasteful and very nice. Next year it is twice as big but no one says anything.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

will_colorado posted:

This was in the related videos for those of you too young to remember the Albert Belle corked bat thievery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC6abVMozbI

Everyone here knows about it for sure but the pine tar video comes up after that, and Gaylord Perry trying to steal the bat while Brett is going crazy is the most perfect baseball thing.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

bawfuls posted:

Every kid on my middle school playground wanted to be Percy :colbert:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
No Bonds, don't care

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Grittybeard posted:

I don't think anyone other than maybe one of the Yankees guys is arguing Posada's a legit hall of famer.

He's borderline at best but deserved more than one year in the ballot.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R.D. Mangles posted:

Was it Paul Wilson or Jeremy Affeldt that he delivered a picture-perfect spinebuster to?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bawfuls posted:

Arguably, the proper metric for evaluating closers on a career basis is WPA not WAR or Saves. In that context, Rivera really does stand head and shoulders above the field. Here is a list of all-time WPA leaders among relief pitchers

Top 10:
Mo - 55.75
Hoffman - 32.78
Gossage - 31.69
Nathan - 30.73
Billy Wagner - 28.40
Papelbon - 28.25
KRod - 27.03
Lee Smith - 24.36
Keith Loulke - 21.46 (who?)

Eckersley doesn't show up on this filter because he spent time as a starter, but in his years as a closer his WPA total was 33.37.

Clemens' WPA :stare:

I mean, it's Fangraphs, so there has to be something horribly broken somewhere in the formula, but Jesus.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

No Bonds, don't care
For the second year in a row, he gained nearly 10%. You should be happy about that at least.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Timby posted:

Was it Paul Wilson or Jeremy Affeldt that he delivered a picture-perfect spinebuster to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mt0_0k40t4

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Timby posted:

Clemens' WPA :stare:

I mean, it's Fangraphs, so there has to be something horribly broken somewhere in the formula, but Jesus.

He pitched a shitload of really, really good innings. In pitcher WAR he's 3rd all-time.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

A suburban Chicago high school gym teacher used that video to show his players how to make a textbook tackle.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

will_colorado posted:

also for tackling Jeremy Affeldt

This was the greatest moment in Comerica Park history until Pudge arrived.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

The Hall of Fame is really dumb, you guys

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

bawfuls posted:

Arguably, the proper metric for evaluating closers on a career basis is WPA not WAR or Saves. In that context, Rivera really does stand head and shoulders above the field. Here is a list of all-time WPA leaders among relief pitchers

Top 10:
Mo - 55.75
Hoffman - 32.78
Gossage - 31.69
Nathan - 30.73
Billy Wagner - 28.40
Papelbon - 28.25
KRod - 27.03
Lee Smith - 24.36
Keith Loulke - 21.46 (who?)

Eckersley doesn't show up on this filter because he spent time as a starter, but in his years as a closer his WPA total was 33.37.

I refuse to believe Papelbon is the 6th best relief pitcher of all time

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Just proof that "relief pitchers" is a made-up category to confound viewers and slow games.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The WPA data only goes back to 1974, though that pretty much covers the rise of the modern relief pitcher. If the list shows anything, it's that all the non-Mo guys are somewhat interchangeable.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Has he found a new team to choke play for? Or is he just done at this point?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FlamingLiberal posted:

But he won 100% more championships

100% more than 0 is still 0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

A suburban Chicago high school gym teacher used that video to show his players how to make a textbook tackle.

You gotta wrap him up.

• Locked thread