Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
That's from vader down. The art was special levels of awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

ShineDog posted:

That's from vader down. The art was special levels of awful.

More please!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The Vader comic is the worst of the lot and had the things that made the EU terrible. Vader's waifu would've been funny if the whole thing wasn't so bad.

Someone post the General Ackbar Grievous abomination.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You know, as silly as that was at least it wasn't the first arc of the mainline comic, which was the special kinds of terrible that you only really got from Marvel prior to the release of The Empire Strikes Back.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Chill la Chill posted:

Someone post the General Ackbar Grievous abomination.

We're approaching the point that new EU is worse than old EU. Not quite there yet, but it's coming.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
So a couple of friends and I have gotten Armada fleets together and want to kick off a 2v2 or 3v3 Corellian Conflict game. The main issue is, a lot of them coming from a DnD background, they want to see more of us doing stuff together. I'm trying to come up with some interesting ways to get all players playing at the same time, and adding some interesting house rules. For example: Between battles, players can exchange ships in their fleets.

That being said, there is some interest in somehow getting additional players to have an impact (or participate in) battles, as opposed to a straight series of 1v1 battles with a resource aspect.

Aside from going straight 2v2 on the same play area, does anyone have any ideas how to have allied fleets have an impact? (ie: hyperspace reinforcements from another fleet with a penalty on a later turn).

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Vitamin P posted:

We're approaching the point that new EU is worse than old EU. Not quite there yet, but it's coming.

what the christ is this

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

banned from Starbucks posted:

what the christ is this

Literal answer: cyborg MonCal who thinks he's next level poo poo and Vader is just an obsolete prototype. lolnope. Messes with the best, dies like the rest.

(SW comics have a tradition of putting Vader against pretty frickin wacked-out opponents.)

Meta-Answer: DisnEU can be as weird, crazy and over-the-top as ClassEU; tighter editorial control might slow it down, but one day there will be as much insanity in it as the old stuff, just in different places and ways.

Compare to Lord Nyax(lightsaber-knees-guy)

Star Wars is pulpy.</captainobvious>

ecureuilmatrix fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jan 18, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TBF as bad as that pulp EU character is, I would buy and paint an imperial assault mini of it as a weird novelty. It's me, I enable the bad EU stuff.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Kieron gillens vader run is well written and good. The rough art does not sell some of the bigger concepts. The premise, where vader (in disgrace after getting chumped on mustafar and the deathstar debacle) dismantles the various schemes of palpatines evil science minion, who plans to replace him with the strongest of a variety of techno warrior monsters. (Palp expects him to win). is a lot of fun. The various bads are weird and interesting. It's git a surprisingly great supporting cast (aphra and her murder bots)

It's let down by functional at best art. During the vader down crossover with the main SW book seen above its catestrophic.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I dunno... I haven't read much of the vader comic but almost everything dumb about the new EU seems to come from there.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Finster Dexter posted:

I dunno... I haven't read much of the vader comic but almost everything dumb about the new EU seems to come from there.

Yeah. Vader literally gets a yandere waifu. The people I know who like it also love GA Thrawn, Ysilimari and the oneupmanship it represented, and the Darth Maul returns stuff.

The concept might be nice, but they completely lost me on the premise after issue 3 or 4 when they show off the various enemies, including Grievous Ackbar there. I read up to issue 11 or 12 thinking it gets better. :negative:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
The older I get the more I have to consider that I have really bad taste. I like Thrawn. :(

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I like Thrawn in principle. The version in Rebels is really good, imo. I recently re-read the Thrawn trilogy and a lot of the stuff Zahn tacked on like ysilimari and the clone stuff was kinda loopy.

The genteel Imperial officer that is so tactically and strategically dominant that he could rise to the highest military rank in a very pro-human gov't even though he had blue skin and weird eyes is kind of cool. People think the art thing was dumb, but I actually liked that, too, and some of what people hated about it has been warped and exaggerated for effect.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Eh, Thrawn still just have to study a handful of pieces of art to instantly deduce a whole race's innate fears. And he then delivers gems such as "They are afraid of the unknown, so if we pretend to have a super weapon that can bypass all their defenses nilly willy, they'll surrender". Truly a master strategist at work here. But I do confess the general concept of him works. It's just badly executed.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
I was always a fan of the theory that all the art-scrying was just a front for a really good intelligence network.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Iceclaw posted:

Eh, Thrawn still just have to study a handful of pieces of art to instantly deduce a whole race's innate fears. And he then delivers gems such as "They are afraid of the unknown, so if we pretend to have a super weapon that can bypass all their defenses nilly willy, they'll surrender". Truly a master strategist at work here. But I do confess the general concept of him works. It's just badly executed.

The key wasn't just "pretend to have a superweapon"...he had to come up with a way to sell having that superweapon.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
i found it believable when he analyzed the art of the actual commander he was facing, maybe not so much the culture he was facing though

Noghri were cool though, their story anyways

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Iceclaw posted:

The implication was, though, that in all those cases he wasn't studying a single piece of art, but that he collected samples of their art as part of a detailed study into their entire body of artwork.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Finster Dexter posted:

The implication was, though, that in all those cases he wasn't studying a single piece of art, but that he collected samples of their art as part of a detailed study into their entire body of artwork.

I know star wars is pretty big on the "all aliens are the same" trope, but reducing the art production of a whole specie in any kind of usable sample is... hard.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah. Vader literally gets a yandere waifu. The people I know who like it also love GA Thrawn, Ysilimari and the oneupmanship it represented, and the Darth Maul returns stuff.

The concept might be nice, but they completely lost me on the premise after issue 3 or 4 when they show off the various enemies, including Grievous Ackbar there. I read up to issue 11 or 12 thinking it gets better. :negative:
I legit detest the entire Thrawn thing, but the Vader comics were enjoyable for just plain avoiding the pitfalls of wonky continuity blunders with characters we know for the most part. Having googled "yandere" to work out WTF you mean, I think you have exactly inverted the relationship there.

So far the worst from the nuEU is either the Lords of the Sith novel or the reintroduction of Thrawn into Rebels. I'll have to see how the last one plays out, but I don't see them somehow making him less irritating than he already is.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Thrawn has barely even been a presence on Rebels, I don't see how anyone could be so irritated with the character. You're conflating the old EU Thrawn with the new one.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Iceclaw posted:

I know star wars is pretty big on the "all aliens are the same" trope, but reducing the art production of a whole specie in any kind of usable sample is... hard.

Tell me more. Next, I'd like to hear about how unrealistic it is to have "all-desert" planet, "all-snow" planet, and "all-forest" moon.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Finster Dexter posted:

Tell me more. Next, I'd like to hear about how unrealistic it is to have "all-desert" planet, "all-snow" planet, and "all-forest" moon.

:thejoke: but it bothers me less than "All those other people are the same"

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Thrawn has barely even been a presence on Rebels, I don't see how anyone could be so irritated with the character. You're conflating the old EU Thrawn with the new one.

The voice acting. That weird high pitched monotone as if he can't believe that everyone around him is so stupid reminds me uncomfortably of the exact kind of person who would talk him up as the paragon of Star Wars writing. Also the art thing came back, but the terrible poo poo in the pre-season trailer hasn't actually turned up in the show yet.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I don't think that Thrawn is meant to be likable. He's supposed to be utterly Imperial which is a large part of how he was able to gain his rank. The guy is a world subjugating villain, not a relatable hero to emulate.

I also see the art thing as shorthand for 'this guy is an expert in studying cultures and in psychology, but we don't have time to go into that so here is some of the stuff he is currently reviewing'.

Ideally every time we see his gallery it would contain different stuff, or we would see a docking bay full of trinkets being shipped in and out for his perusal. Or maybe we see him reading a few books. Something to show that he isn't just basing it all off 2 paintings and one sculpture.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
The most recent episode had Thrawn using actual deductive reasoning and tactics that didn't involve studying art at all. He just gambled on the Rebellion doing something impulsive and stupid, which they did.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Partially due to the limitations of the medium it came off as a "just as planned :smug:" moment because they didn't really explain the basic search methodology beforehand. Even when he does something plausible it's presented in a way that I find annoying whatever fiction it happens in.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
So unfortunately my Imperial & Rebels Squadron II packs haven't arrived, they might tomorrow morning but I doubt it and the tourney starts at 11 so there wouldn't be time to change my list up in time.

I was leaning towards an Imperial list but I don't have anything made (or anything to copy :v) up, so I've come up with a partial Rebel list, what are your thoughts and how could I complete this, mainly in terms of squadrons. I have the CC expansion pack and Rogues and Villians pack.
I have all the rebel ships except for Pheonix Home and the Liberty MC80.

292 points - No objectives chosen yet. 8 points remaining
MC80 Command
Admiral Ackbar
Engine Techs
Reinforced Blast Doors
Defiance

Assault Frig MK2 B
ECM
XI7 Turbolaser
Paragon

CR90 A
TRC
Jaina’s Light

CR90 A
TRC
Tantive IV

Squads
Tycho Celchu - A Wing squad
Shara Bey - A Wing squad

What should I get rid of, I know I need more squadrons, I'm thinking more of a fighter screen rather than a bombing force. I like the idea of 4 ships, so I win on activation and give myself choices to deploy and to play.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

New ImpAss stuff! Jedi Luke and Rebel Rangers! I finally can get my Scarif on! :woop:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Drop either the AF or mc80. If you keep the mc80 do consider Raymus for an engine tech build or flight coordination team if you get more squads

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Hmm... or an Imperial list, long/med range oriented with a fighter screen.

card view: http://armadawarlords.hivelabs.solutions/view_list.php?token=72074

400/400
Commander: Admiral Motti
Assault Objective: Most Wanted?
Defense Objective: Fighter Ambush?
Navigation Objective: Dangerous Territory?

[ flagship ] Imperial II-Class Star Destroyer (120 points)
- Admiral Motti ( 24 points)
- Gunnery Team ( 7 points)
- Electronic Countermeasures ( 7 points)
= 158 total ship cost

Victory II-Class Star Destroyer (85 points)
- Enhanced Armament ( 10 points)
- Overload Pulse ( 8 points)
= 103 total ship cost

Arquitens-class Command Cruiser (59 points)
- Reinforced Blast Doors ( 5 points)
- Dual Turbolaser Turrets ( 5 points)
= 69 total ship cost

1 "Howlrunner" ( 16 points)
1 "Mauler" Mithel ( 15 points)
1 Black Squadron ( 9 points)
1 Soontir Fel ( 18 points)
1 Saber Squadron ( 12 points)

---
Edit and the edited rebel fleet, removing the AFmk2:
card view: http://armadawarlords.hivelabs.solutions/view_list.php?token=72081

Commander: Admiral Ackbar

Assault Objective: Opening Salvo
Defense Objective: Jamming Barrier
Navigation Objective: Solar Corona

[ flagship ] MC80 Assault Cruiser (114 points)
- Admiral Ackbar ( 38 points)
- Defiance ( 5 points)
- Raymus Antilles ( 7 points)
- Engine Techs ( 8 points)
- Reinforced Blast Doors ( 5 points)
- Electronic Countermeasures ( 7 points)
- Enhanced Armament ( 10 points)
- Ion Cannon Batteries ( 5 points)
= 199 total ship cost

CR90 Corvette A (44 points)
- Tantive IV ( 3 points)
- Turbolaser Reroute Circuits ( 7 points)
= 54 total ship cost

CR90 Corvette A (44 points)
- Jainas Light ( 2 points)
- Turbolaser Reroute Circuits ( 7 points)
= 53 total ship cost

1 Tycho Celchu ( 16 points)
1 Shara Bey ( 17 points)
1 Wedge Antilles ( 19 points)
1 Rogue Squadron ( 14 points)
1 Luke Skywalker ( 20 points)

While I want to try out the Arquitans, perhaps a tournament isn't the best place as I haven't played with it yet. Not sure which of the two to pick, I'll decide in the morning before I head off, based on feedback in here (if there is any)

drunkill fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 20, 2017

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

FFG here's a free idea: Sell a Scarif campaign exp for impass pls. I would pay all my moneys for that

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Finster Dexter posted:

FFG here's a free idea: Sell a Scarif campaign exp for impass pls. I would pay all my moneys for that

That would be cool. If it wouldn't mean yet more desert tiles a campaign set in and around Jedha city would be cool too. They could even add an 'aid, but at a price' mechanic for if the rebels choose to work with Saw.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Vitamin P posted:

That would be cool. If it wouldn't mean yet more desert tiles a campaign set in and around Jedha city would be cool too. They could even add an 'aid, but at a price' mechanic for if the rebels choose to work with Saw.

Yeah there are a lot of really good options there. A couple branching points maybe based on whether you try to kill/save Galen Erso. Could be very cool.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Actually, you could do one of those "Three Battles at the Same Time" that Star Wars loves. ImpAss for stealing the plans, X-Wing for doomed Blue Squadron vs the TIEs for air support, Armada for the fleet battle in orbit.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

jng2058 posted:

Actually, you could do one of those "Three Battles at the Same Time" that Star Wars loves. ImpAss for stealing the plans, X-Wing for doomed Blue Squadron vs the TIEs for air support, Armada for the fleet battle in orbit.
Those are really fun. I really wish FFG would include linked campaign missions like this in their boxed products. It would be a cool bit of cross promotion too.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Well, unfortunately something came up today so I couldn't go to the regionals tournament. But on the way home I was near the good store which had the massive clearance sale last week and were still getting rid of stock, so I picked up a second MC80 for 30bux (60 at other places) and the Phoenix Home which I didn't have and to balance it out on the imperial side I got a second Arquitans. Sadly their cheap ISDs sold out, was planning on just getting a new Home One and ISD.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

I'm thinking of using the following in a tournament. Opinions and critiscism please?
40 points

Deployment Cards
---------------------------

▪ Luke Skywalker
Rebel Trooper
Echo Base Trooper
▪ Gideon Argus
▪ Fenn Signis
Rebel Saboteur
▪ On a Diplomatic Mission

Command Cards
------------------------

Celebration
Covering Fire
Deadeye
Element of Surprise
Hide in Plain Sight
Lock On
Planning
Reinforcements
Strength in Numbers
Take Cover
Urgency
Son of Skywalker
I Can Feel It
Against the Odds
Hit and Run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

What are people's thoughts on Armada and IA Skirmish now that they've been around for a while and have had a few expansions? How do they compare to X-Wing or other skirmish games, respectively?