Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Rudy Gay died of an Achilles tear.

At least he probably won't opt out now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

Spoeank posted:

Aw man, not this guy

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

aBagorn posted:

Well if Embiid isn't injured (and somehow still makes it to us at 3, just roll with me here), it's only being intentionally bad for a single year (the MCW-Noel draft class), then you land your superstar and It's all good.

The problem is that it'll be very hard for even great players to dig a team out of a hole like that.

chunkles posted:

Even the best and most well-executed strategy for finals contention (which is draft the only superstar who wants to live in Ohio, alienate him until he leaves and then build up your team through the draft until he returns) probably has a less than 10% chance of getting you to the finals though

You're leaving out the part where CLE gets THREE #1 picks in a four year period. Their odds over that span pegged that as like a once every 2,000 year event (if you think the draft is really legitimate). Seeing as how the machinations of the draft are done behind closed doors I'm skeptical.

Imagine if those state lotteries were done behind a curtain rather than live on TV.

tanglewood1420 posted:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=jv838xz

There. Now everyone either gets to go back home, move to a better team or just gets to play with their friends. Other than Blake who is going to New York for the stand up scene.

Wade, CP3 and Carmelo to Nets: +1 win

Spacebump posted:

In addition to his comment about naming three players from his last time, Rondo quit on a team the last time he was in the playoffs. Would he stop game planning and quit coaching a team if he got in a feud with the front office?

It would be kind of entertaining to see a really insane coach at the NBA level. Throw some chairs, leave the court in a huff, curse the owner on live TV, grab the PA mic etc.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 19, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

straight up brolic posted:

That ammunition is all average though. I highly doubt that anything but the Kings 2019 pick will convey in the top 5 and that's a complete unknown. Sixers look like they'll have the same exact record as the Kings for the swap this year.

Embiid only went 3 because he was hurt for a year.

3 years of intentionally being bad is a very long time.

I'm really interested to see what the environment of the next few drafts are going to be. Last year picks couldn't move because they were worthless, a few years ago picks couldn't move because they were worth too much.

I think the safe prediction is that the picks will be too valuable, but we got some GMs on the hot seat which usually causes the draft to be a trade fest (either if they get replaced by new GMs, or are still grasping to their jobs).

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

https://twitter.com/bleacherreport/status/821967587298844672

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Spoeank posted:

Kings fans said we can't lose Rudy to FA for nothing. The monkey paw curls a finger

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
i can't believe russ rallied the team to a victory over the warriors at gs wow just wow look at this powerful score

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I love Russ so much.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

woo ee! This is all so good
https://twitter.com/royceyoung/status/821969070257885184
https://twitter.com/royceyoung/status/821967872054300673

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

chunkles posted:

Speaking of defense, Rockets had 11 blocks and 9 steals tonight :eyepop:

I'm glad they won but I miss my reckless 25 feet shooting Rockets team

Favorite sequence of the night: Giannis slices through the lane in typical fashion, gets his poo poo swatted by James motherfucking Harden, Harden brings it up the floor in that lazy looking way he does that still puts him coast to coast without giving the defense a chance to set up, abuses a dude with a euro and goes up for a layup while the vengeful Giannis rises up to reject that weak poo poo, too late it hit the backboard and it's a goaltend

Spoeank posted:

Well at least now the Rockets won't trade for him

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Aw man, that sucks for Rudey. Achilles tear is the last injury I'd wish upon someone (first is a stubbed toe in the middle of the night)

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

So with Hinkie, I think can only be evaluated under the auspices of his goals--which were to stockpile assets and trade tangibles until he could build a team that could challenge for the title.

Given the Thunder as a team that made the NBA finals with three superstars conveyed through the draft and one minor star, if we even grant the idea that Embiid and Simmons are superstars, he's still two core pieces away from a finals caliber team after being intentionally bad for a long time.

I don't disagree with any of the moves he made individually, as he got solid return for value, but as a strategy it hasn't been proven as worthy of imitation

You're trying way way way too hard with this.

https://twitter.com/JoelEmbiid/status/821921564597846016

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jan 19, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

-i just don't know if being intentionally bad for so long was worth it

They were going to be bad anyway. So this seems like a red herring.

Unless you think Evan Turner, Thad Young and Spnecer Hawes were going to compete for the ECF.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Spoeank posted:

ah that is terrible. I feel for the guy. And the Kings.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
It all ultimately boils down to one simple question: Is there a guy on your roster that could be the best player on a championship winning team? Everything else is secondary to that. Now that is a high bar, there are maybe seven or eight of those guys in the league, but if you can't tick that box then you aren't winning a title. And if you have that player, and it looks like perhaps Embiid could be that guy, then you are in business and everything else is secondary.

For example for all their salary cap hell and island of misfit toys roster, I would rather be in the Pelicans position with Anthony Davis locked up guaranteed for the next five years and figure out how to supplement him, than the Hornets or Grizzlies or Hakws where you have a nice team with several very good players but no one guy that is going to put you over the top in the playoffs.

Hell, as an example even Indiana with Paul George are a bit up in the air for me. Is Paul George an All-Star player? Of course yes he is truly excellent. He could be the second best player on a title winning team for sure, no doubt. But could he be the best player on a title winning team? Unless he somehow goes up a level unexpectedly in the next few seasons then I'd say no. Same goes for Toronto with Kyle Lowry.

This is all assuming traditional cap dynamics of team building where it's not possible to get multiple max players on a team and have some kind of four headed monster of All-Star but not Super Duper Star players like Paul George, Kyle Lowry, Marc Gasol, Gordon Hayward all on one team (and even then would that team beat GSW or the Cavs in a series?) .

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jan 19, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How do you get super stars.

1. Draft. Best likelihood you need high picks (top 3, preferably 1 or 2).
2. Trade. You need high draft picks and cap space and young talented dudes.
3. Sign. You need cap space and a favorable team/market or be located near Akron, OH.

3. Sign is dying with the new rules. 2. Trade is still legit tho BOS does not seem to be able to find anyone. HOU did it well. Trade was slightly lowered in value with the new rules, however. Optimally your want to trade for a superstar on their rookie deal, which is harder. 1. Draft is still the best imho. The best way to get super stars is to draft them. The best way to draft them is to have the 1st or 2nd pick. 3 is ok too. The best way to get the 1st or second pick is win the lottery, obviously, or have swap rights with Brooklyn.

I think the league recognizes that tanking is the optimal strategy, so, therefore, in order to not turn the league into a farce at the bottom levels, had to instill an outside disincentive to future GMs and owners. The message from the league is clear: If you tank for more than 2 years, we will take over your team and the GM will be fired. I think with the new CBA, which incentivizes tanking EVEN MORE, they will be strict about it, though the Lesson of Hinkie is well known and feared, imho.

You can still tank for one year, no problem. Maybe even two. I think this is a decent balance.

Sixers had almost no assets on their roster. Jrue holiday, that's it. and they were missing picks. Hinkie had to get back 2017 #1 for example. So at the end of the day, Hinkie got 2 potential superstars out of 3 high picks, the lakers pick, Sac 2019 1, all the sixers picks, and tons of cap space. Realistically, I don't see how it could have gone better. Sure he could have allowed to draft Porzingis, but that's hindsight and asking for 100% success. The team is lights years away from where they were when he took over. It's not even a argument. His plan worked so well, the league had to destroy him.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jan 19, 2017

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Redgrendel2001 posted:

You're trying way way way too hard with this.
It's been beat to death, but I think periodically checking back in to evaluate the progress of the strategy under practical constraints is interesting. should we just not assess one of the more out there NBA strategies in recent years because you happen to be a fan of the team and it hurts your feelings or something?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Years ago, I would have said Bos had the better strategy, but they didn't start from the same place that the Sixers did. But now the Sixers have leapfrogged Bos, so I don't know. Bos still has time and assets to catch up, but they have to hit on one of these Brooklyn picks.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

euphronius posted:

Years ago, I would have said Bos had the better strategy, but they didn't start from the same place that the Sixers did. But now the Sixers have leapfrogged Bos, so I don't know. Bos still has time and assets to catch up, but they have to hit on one of these Brooklyn picks.
If Boston hits on one of their Brooklyn picks (and they have three), they're in a much much better position than the Sixers are.

But I think it's unfair to evaluate a team that ripped off Billy King as a legitimate counter strategy (although I guess the same argument would extend to Vlade lol)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Hinkie never got to complete his goals. He was saddled with Colangelo and then forced to step down.

Hinkie did his job, he got them a player who can potentially be a top 5 player in the league. who's to say what other moves he would have made or could make.

Also there is no guarantee any of it works. Winning an NBA championship is the hardest championship to win of any of the 3 or 4 major sports here.

Plenty of greats never won rings(shouts to Jordan). All you can do is get yourself a player with the potential to be elite and work your rear end off to build a team around them.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I thought there was only 2 more Brooklyn picks. This year's swap and next years outright.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
And I don't think Hinkie is flawless, but I believe his main problem was that he got so far into his own head he lost track of the fact that players and agents are humans and not just asset's.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

euphronius posted:

I thought there was only 2 more Brooklyn picks. This year's swap and next years outright.
nvm you're right

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Does anyone know when the first trade to swap picks was? It seems like such a key move if you're trying to tank. If your goal is to increase the odds of getting a superstar, and generally increasing your odds to get the #1 pick, all the extra ping pong balls you can add help.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

but as a strategy it hasn't been proven as worthy of imitation

And CPR usually breaks a few ribs, but sometimes its necessary

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

It's been beat to death, but I think periodically checking back in to evaluate the progress of the strategy under practical constraints is interesting. should we just not assess one of the more out there NBA strategies in recent years because you happen to be a fan of the team and it hurts your feelings or something?

No you're just repeating the same half-baked crap over and over again which gets real tiresome real quickly.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Get a room you two...

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Dexo posted:

Get a room you two...

Meh. I usually just let Abagorn or Euphronius handle him nowadays.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Redgrendel2001 posted:

No you're just repeating the same half-baked crap over and over again which gets real tiresome real quickly.

Over the last two days you have been really grumpy and ruining the friendship basketball vibe my friend

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Redgrendel2001 posted:

lol we're just talking about the strategy, which everyone seems capable of doing except you. stop taking poo poo that has nothing to do with you personally. is everything good with you?

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

lol true, apt metaphor

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 19, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Meh. I usually just let Abagorn or Euphronius handle him nowadays.

LMAO dude this is a sports forum and you're not some kind of anime villain. No one "handles" anyone here

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

LMAO dude this is a sports forum and you're not some kind of anime villain. No one "handles" anyone here

Insert the phrase "respond to" then you pedantic baby. I'm referring to the fact I put him on ignore months ago.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

I would say the main difference is that Boston got a load of help from the worst GM in NBA history. I don't really feel comfortable calling that "strategy". The good part of the strategy was being aggressive and trading for guys like Jae Crowder and Isiah Thomas.

Also I would imagine the new CBA is going to make tanking even more prevalent. Drafting elite talent is now the single most important way to get good by a huge margin because it makes it easier to resign your great players. This in turn makes Trades of young stars even less likely than before AND makes signing a young star as a free agent almost impossible unless they are completely miserable.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 19, 2017

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

http://i.imgur.com/tBCtHsk.mp4

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Who will be the first team in the playoffs out of Lakers, TWolves, or Philly

Chairchucker posted:

Probably Wolves IMO.

I've changed my mind BTW it's Philly, possibly even this year.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

This in turn makes Trades of young stars even less likely than before AND makes signing a young star as a free agent almost impossible unless they are completely miserable.

Think you are going to see more Harden-esque manuevers where a young star forces his way off a team on his rookie deal when there are 2 other stars already on the roster.

Like Nerlens Noel's agent should be pushing for a deal to anywhere. Its vaguely possible he wins DPOY on his next deal which would set him up for SUPER MAX.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

Think you are going to see more Harden-esque manuevers where a young star forces his way off a team on his rookie deal when there are 2 other stars already on the roster.

Like Nerlens Noel's agent should be pushing for a deal to anywhere. Its vaguely possible he wins DPOY on his next deal which would set him up for SUPER MAX.

Why would a team ever do that? A rookie has no control until AFTER they are a restricted free agent. Sure they can pretend to be miserable and refuse to go to camp or get a physical but that doesn't exactly put them in a favorable spot to go to a place that you would want to play.

Harden did not force his way off his team, his team force him off it because they were cheap.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

Why would a team ever do that? A rookie has no control until AFTER they are a restricted free agent. Sure they can pretend to be miserable and refuse to go to camp or get a physical but that doesn't exactly put them in a favorable spot to go to a place that you would want to play.

Harden did not force his way off his team, his team force him off it because they were cheap.

Respectfully disagree on Harden and that rookies/players have no leverage on teams. I mean I know how RFA works, too.

Also, thinking about it, you may see even more power plays at the draft where a super star prospect (like KAT or AD level) puts tons of pressure on teams that already have 2 stars to not get drafted there.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I have two questions for our man Kibner, or anyone who regularly watches the Peligrosos. Is terrence Jones producing because someone has to use some usage, or is he actually playing well? And what happened to knicks star Langston Galloway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

The old style of CPR doesn't break ribs but people are too clumsy to do it right so now the default is the chest smashing style 🤓🤓🤓

• Locked thread