Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
In Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

get that OUT of my face posted:

Do Russians typically swear a lot, or are they too depressed by life to even do that? They don't even show emotion on those dashboard cam videos where crazy poo poo happens right in front of their eyes.

That depends on the person and their individual level of culture and education. Mine is high, so in the years after high school I got used to not swearing unless warranted

CommissarMega posted:

I heard somewhere (hell, it might even have been this thread) that on the whole, Russians don't really swear or even show much open emotion because word choice can often get something across more forcefully than shouting 'gently caress!!1!' with wide open eyes or the like.

The last part is true for any language :v:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"Blyat" is the only curse word necessary in Russian.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Well, I've watched White Sun of the Desert and the Diamond Arm, so I'm sure I won't even need subtitles.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I watched come and see.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I played DOTA2, i'll get by

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I just assume anyone speaking a language I don';t know is talking poo poo about me. Works out pretty well.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

chitoryu12 posted:

And Cyka

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
When I took Russian back in college, the only curse word I was ever taught was their word for "pancake." I still have no idea why it's considered a curse word.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

Some will try to convince you that "блять" and "блядь" are different words used in different contexts, but it's not, don't believe them. The former (the one with a "t" in the end) is a misspelling and nothing more

Zain posted:

And Cyka

The phonetic transcription (insofar as it's even possible to write something phonetically in English, English words are basically less scary Kanji/Hanzi) is "suka", and it's a direct equivalent of the word "bitch" :eng101:

Apep727 posted:

When I took Russian back in college, the only curse word I was ever taught was their word for "pancake." I still have no idea why it's considered a curse word.

The word is "blin", and it's origin is people wanting to say "blyad", then trying to hold back after saying "bl"
Its nature as a curseword has nothing to do with its actual meaning, and it's such a mild profanity that it's barely considered one at all, it's like saying "drat" in English

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
And, most importantly, Russian pancakes are actually big and thin, like crepes
For tiny thick pancakes we use either the word "оладьи" (olad'yi), or an anglicism, "панкейки" (pankeiki), for American-style pancakes
The main difference is that the former are traditionally prepared with kefir as the base for the batter instead of milk, but the distinction is vanishing

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Alexeythegreat posted:

The phonetic transcription (insofar as it's even possible to write something phonetically in English, English words are basically less scary Kanji/Hanzi) is "suka", and it's a direct equivalent of the word "bitch" :eng101:

Played enough DotA2 to know that part at least. :v:

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Alexeythegreat posted:

The word is "blin", and it's origin is people wanting to say "blyad", then trying to hold back after saying "bl"
Its nature as a curseword has nothing to do with its actual meaning, and it's such a mild profanity that it's barely considered one at all, it's like saying "drat" in English

That sounds just like people saying "fudge" instead of "gently caress". What's the Russian equivalent of "gosh darn it to heck"?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

White Coke posted:

What's the Russian equivalent of "gosh darn it to heck"?

From what I've read of depressing Russian literature? "Hello."

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

White Coke posted:

That sounds just like people saying "fudge" instead of "gently caress". What's the Russian equivalent of "gosh darn it to heck"?

1) Yes
2) Can't think of one

Bruceski posted:

From what I've read of depressing Russian literature? "Hello."

That's more of a defeated-sarcastic "well that's awesome"

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Apologies for wrecked voice, but there was a good reason for that, I swear

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
I can't help but every time I hear Samuels speak, I hear the NOD Tiberian Sun HUD voice.

"Unit ready"
"Building..."

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
You really should jump more during fights.

I have to say I also generally dig DOOM 2016's version of post-Hell Mars.Until the demons start teleporting in, you could imagine that the human survivors just went insane and ate each other, then arranged the corpses as ornaments.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
These are some S-Tier orthodox church burns right here in this update, wowzers!!!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
What were all the Easter Eggs in that room, btw? I'm not well versed in Doom mythos.

Also, it's interesting how many representations of hell exist that are based from Dante's Inferno, yet almost all of them have fire and brimstone aesthetics while in the poem, the deepest realms of hell were ice and snow.

Also had the city of Dis, a horrible realm where one gets mocked by terrible rappers for all eternity.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Samovar posted:

What were all the Easter Eggs in that room, btw? I'm not well versed in Doom mythos.

I probably missed some of the Easter Eggs, but the major one that I noticed was that the cube with the glowy yellow bits that Alexey briefly looked at, was the Soul Cube from Doom 3, where it was the ultimate weapon needed to win the game, and also generally a useful artifact.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Wow, you made the Russian Orthodox Church sound metal as hell.

I noticed you have to kill 8 enemies in one shot for one of your challenges. How are you gonna manage that?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
They don't call it "orthodox" because of how well its adapted with the times for the last 1500 years or so

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Willie Tomg posted:

They don't call it "orthodox" because of how well its adapted with the times for the last 1500 years or so

My parents converted to Orthodoxy in college or something. They went full Russian, but I grew up going to a Greek church because there were more kids my age there. Back then Orthodoxy was this big counter-culture thing because it was anti-USSR, and all of my parents' friends were old Tsarists with three-color flags hidden away for when the day came.

Then the day came and it sounds like the church sold out hardcore. It's still really jarring to me that they so quickly bedded with the totalitarian regime that would include them, but I won't pretend to ever be surprised by that kind of thing.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I can't believe you'd make an Achmed The Dead Terrorist joke in 2016.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

You really should jump more during fights.

I have to say I also generally dig DOOM 2016's version of post-Hell Mars.Until the demons start teleporting in, you could imagine that the human survivors just went insane and ate each other, then arranged the corpses as ornaments.

I know! I was jumping all the time in my off-camera run, but here, for some reason, I don't. I have the entire campaign recorded and there's no jumping in the Classic maps because reasons, but I'll endeavor to spend more time in the air in the DLCs (which I haven't even bought yet, let alone recorded)

I noticed you have to kill 8 enemies in one shot for one of your challenges. How are you gonna manage that?

With a gun that is very, very large

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Willie Tomg posted:

These are some S-Tier orthodox church burns right here in this update, wowzers!!!

The one at 13:00 had me loling pretty hard.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

Wow, you made the Russian Orthodox Church sound metal as hell.

The First Method: An Explosive
The Easy Way: BFG

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Oh right, forgot he has that.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I can't believe you'd make an Achmed The Dead Terrorist joke in 2016.
Those dead guys looked more like the Crypt Keeper.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
You said that there wasn't much interesting here. I kind of disagree: It's an interesting note that, despite Hayden being her biggest backer and giving her the opportunity to work in absolute freedom with god knows how many resources, she refused to work for him. Only once he sends her some cursed relic of hell that drives her obsession does she do as he asks.

Yet another thing about this that is Hayden's fault.

Also, that hologram of the sacrifice: Nice detail that the sacrifice is shown clearly trying to breathe after the first two stabs. Poor dude, they didn't even finish him properly.

Alexeythegreat posted:

I know! I was jumping all the time in my off-camera run, but here, for some reason, I don't. I have the entire campaign recorded and there's no jumping in the Classic maps because reasons, but I'll endeavor to spend more time in the air in the DLCs (which I haven't even bought yet, let alone recorded)

...There's single player DLC?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

TheDarkFlame posted:

...There's single player DLC?

I don't know, I just assumed that since there are three of them, and nobody liked the multiplayer, there had to be some single player content :v:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Alexeythegreat posted:

I don't know, I just assumed that since there are three of them, and nobody liked the multiplayer, there had to be some single player content :v:

There isn't, and there isn't going to be, all three of them are multiplayer packs.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

auzdark posted:

I can't help but every time I hear Samuels speak, I hear the NOD Tiberian Sun HUD voice.

"Unit ready"
"Building..."
There's also CABAL which, you know how that ended

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

There isn't, and there isn't going to be, all three of them are multiplayer packs.

poo poo

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

But enough about the Russian Orthodox Church, what are your thoughts about the multiplayer DLC?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

I want more subscribers, so I decided to do some search engine optimization

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 22, 2017

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone remember my LoK threads?
I got a spam offer to join a network
Now, almost everyone in the subforum gets them, it's nothing unusual
Here, the funny things are: 1) it's a Russian network (I like the line about "Russian-language support", as if I loving need any), and 2) they think that I am "Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver - Topic"
I'm not sure whether to be flattered or offended :shepicide:

:fuckoff:

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Looks like you're gonna have to do some more ripping and tearing.

Scream was really nice. Had to pause the video and lower my speakers, but it was satisfactory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

bman in 2288 posted:

Scream was really nice. Had to pause the video and lower my speakers, but it was satisfactory.

Fuuuuck, I went through great pains specifically to make sure that there wouldn't be a spike in volume
I have failed :(

• Locked thread