Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Very stable for me, apart from gameplay and cosmestic bugs, of which there are a half dozen per mission. When playing Ironman, just suck it up and backup the save after every session. Nobody's gonna be calling you out on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

AttackBacon posted:

...? I don't think that's...very accurate. We're not talking about tracking 60 individual actors in real time, we're talking about keeping a mental list of 60 soldiers and general traits tied to them. I'm pretty sure the average school principal mentally keeps track of a lot more information about a lot more individuals than we will ever be required to in LW2. My elementary school had about 200 students and I guarantee you the principal knew everyone's name, their parent's names, their grade, and had a general idea of what was going on with them, without referring to any written information.

You realize that's just rote memorization, right? If any of that information changed he'd be lost until he had time to rememorize the entire thing. I'm talking about Dunbar's Number, and assuming you're not a total shut in adding 60 people to that suddenly would be a stretch.

But sorry for talking about people instead of fake shooty mans. :rolleyes:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Psycho Landlord posted:

What the hell is wrong with you

I never found them very useful? They're a great early game crutch and I use them as such - the flamethrower's panic is great - but I find myself phasing them out around the time I'm outfitting everyone with lasers and carapace and the first suites of gene mods. Everything a MEC can do, gene troopers can do better in my experience, and have better aim while costing less meld that can be saved for things like giving people mimetic skin.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.

Cythereal posted:

I never found them very useful?

They can punch aliens into tractors that then explode!

I posit that the true problem is that the MECs hit an uncanny valley for you, you soulless automaton.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hawgh posted:

They can punch aliens into tractors that then explode!

I posit that the true problem is that the MECs hit an uncanny valley for you, you soulless automaton.

And yet MECs don't end up turning X-COM into a video game adaptation of Predator, starring genetically engineered alien super soldiers as the badasses-turned-slasher-victims.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
There's a special joy to a bigass alien running up and sitting down right next to your invisible assault with aaaallll the crit perks. That is true.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Oh god, I finally got around to playing with the DLCs' story missions disabled. That first Ruler encounter confused the gently caress out of me. Then I killed the Viper King after 3, and the Berserker Queen in 2. She's just a big ol' sack of meat to dump Chain Shot and Rapid Fire into.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Serephina posted:

Very stable for me, apart from gameplay and cosmestic bugs, of which there are a half dozen per mission. When playing Ironman, just suck it up and backup the save after every session. Nobody's gonna be calling you out on it.

Thanks that is a good idea.
On another note can someone explain burning to me? Is the damage random? I lost one soldier that suddenly took 3 damage when she only took 2 the turn before.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Burning damage is quite random and I've seen it go up to loving 6-8 or so, after getting my Dragon Rounds on with some sexy berserkers.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Long War 2 is out "extremely soon" according to Pavonis devs. Friday?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
How come the skyranger only shows four cables but then on the ground each soldier up to six has their own.

Also jumping out of a hovering vehicle to catch a dangling cable is the most hilariously dangerous way of getting into the map.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
loving chrysalids just had my first mission with them

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

FedEx Mercury posted:

How come the skyranger only shows four cables but then on the ground each soldier up to six has their own.

Also jumping out of a hovering vehicle to catch a dangling cable is the most hilariously dangerous way of getting into the map.

LW2 should have a roll for catching the cable so there's a small chance to start with a injured solider.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Mandatory Assembly posted:

Long War 2 is out "extremely soon" according to Pavonis devs. Friday?

Think a bit more imminent than that.

Like within the next two minutes or so. :v:

edit: and it's out - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=844674609

Exposure fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 19, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Well that's unexpected.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Now I have to choose between continuing my current LW game or jumping over to LW2. I haven't even gotten MECs!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

okay whether it sucks or not that's really fuggin cool

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
And there goes my evening.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that's pretty sudden :v:

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Zore posted:

Well that's unexpected.

Jake did sound pretty smug when he said 'very soon' on the Twitch broadcast.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Whoa

Lw2

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Uhhhhh what

My body isn't ready yet

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
see you on the other side, commanders.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Whoa, Gatecrasher.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Hell, that's my weekend sorted.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Oh motherfucker, and I just spent an entire day creating a new and stable modlist...

So did they mention how the difficulties are different? Like how in LW1 easy was the same level as Vanilla Classic? Also if Legendary is still longer?

Oh Adaira
May 7, 2008

Casual Tabby
The workshop page says LW2 is about 100-120 missions long. That doesn't seem to bad for a long war. Vanilla commander is about 50 missions. I never finished LW1 (but I think I got at least mid-game), but it seemed significantly longer than 100 missions. Didn't someone mention that 120 missions was about mid-game for LW1 earlier?

I am excite, but I also start a new demanding job next week. :(

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

pig out bigtime posted:

The workshop page says LW2 is about 100-120 missions long. That doesn't seem to bad for a long war. Vanilla commander is about 50 missions. I never finished LW1 (but I think I got at least mid-game), but it seemed significantly longer than 100 missions. Didn't someone mention that 120 missions was about mid-game for LW1 earlier?

I am excite, but I also start a new demanding job next week. :(

Good news you get to play lw2 for a whole year and save money

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I used Dynamic War and LW1 was still like 80 hours long. it was a boring slog by the end

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Yeah, given one of the primary complaints about LW1 being that it was too long, it wouldn't surprise me if they cut that down for the sequel.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

pig out bigtime posted:

The workshop page says LW2 is about 100-120 missions long
Yuck. Even by about 25 the combat starts very quickly to be not good enough to sustain the game.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I'm going to try this and may not enjoy it too much, but otherwise I won't understand any of the discussion for months.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Kwyndig posted:

You realize that's just rote memorization, right? If any of that information changed he'd be lost until he had time to rememorize the entire thing. I'm talking about Dunbar's Number, and assuming you're not a total shut in adding 60 people to that suddenly would be a stretch.

But sorry for talking about people instead of fake shooty mans. :rolleyes:

Are you seriously comparing stable social relationships to keeping track which of my virtual mandollies is which because that seems really crazy to me but maybe I'm alone in that.

Edit: Oh it's out already? Very sweet.

Double Edit Jeopardy: Like I'll head you off at the pass in that I know you're talking about creating some kind of emotional connection to your soldiers and that being diluted if the headcount rises too high. Which I mean, sure, I agree with that. However it is just crazy to say that it's physiologically impossible to do so at all. I do animal care and I have an emotional connection and affection for all (most of, Butters stop making GBS threads everywhere! :argh:) of them, which is around, what, 50+ animals? And it's not like I have an abnormally small social circle (although I do post on SA so...). I think you said a dumb thing in defense of a reasonable idea basically.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 19, 2017

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I shall live dangerously and play the game with my fire emblem mods like squad cohesion and potentials

EDIT:
Aw yeah, apparently they did some extensive testing with some mods:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0KYKP0J-c9vcksxLXBTUkFzdE0/view

Bholder fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 19, 2017

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Second mission, 4 pods of 7+8+6+7 dudes converging on my position + a few other guys loving around in the fog of war and probably reinforcements somewhere down the line.

It was a good campaign.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

AttackBacon posted:

Are you seriously comparing stable social relationships to keeping track which of my virtual mandollies is which because that seems really crazy to me but maybe I'm alone in that.

People who hate long war are broken people that don't understand fun and therefore think people who like long war must be broken people who don't like fun since they don't find it fun. Didn't you know.

Seriously though, LW complaing too often seems to have the qualities of a teen saying that understanding something like irrational numbers is impossible for humans, when it is really a problem with them and not the concept.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Bholder posted:

I shall live dangerously and play the game with my fire emblem mods like squad cohesion and potentials

EDIT:

That is cool and good of them.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cyclomatic posted:

People who hate long war are broken people that don't understand fun and therefore think people who like long war must be broken people who don't like fun since they don't find it fun. Didn't you know.

Seriously though, LW complaing too often seems to have the qualities of a teen saying that understanding something like irrational numbers is impossible for humans, when it is really a problem with them and not the concept.

Please don't start this poo poo again. Just because people don't like what you like doesn't mean that they fail to grasp what the game is trying to achieve.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Bholder posted:

EDIT:

This is the best. Can't live without Stop Wasting My Time, Gotcha or Evac All anymore. Even Grimy's Loot Mod apparently mostly works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
live footage of a truck driver hearing that LW2 is out and getting distracted:

https://zippy.gfycat.com/AggravatingTimelyAiredale.webm