Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Can confirm

I haven't actually broken a USB Micro-B connector yet. After several years of Micro-B devices including a bunch of Android stuff.

Am I a wizard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I'm going to do a 360 and Switch this console off because it has no games

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

bloodychill posted:

I'm going to do a 360 and Switch this console off because it has no games

How are you doing to do that if you don't have any ARMS?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

dont be mean to me posted:

Can confirm

I haven't actually broken a USB Micro-B connector yet. After several years of Micro-B devices including a bunch of Android stuff.

Am I a wizard.

No, you're simply not an idiot.

Same, honestly.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I'm so mad that I'm not playing the Switch right now.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
im playing it right now

any questions

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

HyperPuma posted:

im playing it right now

any questions

Why are you posting instead of having total focus on the gaming ambrosia you're assuredly holding

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

had to recharge

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

How do the joycons compare to a plump bassoonist?

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

easier to grip but less rumble

straps are tighter

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Cancelled my "maybe I will, maybe I won't" amazon.de preorder, making this the first Nintendo console I'm not getting on release day since the N64. I am looking forward to it though, just not as a 400€ Zelda machine. Whatever Christmas bundle they come up with is probably what I'm going to get.

Also, is there any news of Japan-exclusive games in the launch window (e.g. Taiko no Tatsujin)? I'm in Tokyo in April and I was going to pick up some Switch games since they're quite a bit cheaper than they are here in Europe; even moreso if I can buy used. Region-free is a huge deal for me.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jan 19, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I definitely understand much more about the Switch than I did about the WiiU before its launch. Hell, it wasn't until a few months after launch that I figured out it wasn't just a repackaged Wii with yet another gimmick controller. So I guess Nintendo's marketing department had more success this time?

I waited on the WiiU and I will probably wait on this. But then, my WiiU is in its box in my closet right now so uhhh...

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

irlZaphod posted:

It's the age-old problem of video games taking a long time to develop.

I wonder if BOTW has ended up sucking in a lot of Nintendo's resources. It seems like it's going to be more ambitious than anything they've tried before, it's been delayed and then presumably the Switch version had to be ported (the hardware is quite different from the WiiU, right?) They've also been porting MK8, along with creating a small amount of new content for it, plus working on Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey.

Definitely huge and ambituous, a lot like MGSV being the first open world MGS. But I wonder if for the time, Super Mario 64 was more ambitious? Still seems like a technical and artistic marvel to this day, and it came out slightly before Tomb Raider (and also with much more impressive stuff all around). In Japan it came out almost the same day the game Quake first hit, oddly enough. Early 3D games, good times.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

I definitely understand much more about the Switch than I did about the WiiU before its launch. Hell, it wasn't until a few months after launch that I figured out it wasn't just a repackaged Wii with yet another gimmick controller. So I guess Nintendo's marketing department had more success this time?

I waited on the WiiU and I will probably wait on this. But then, my WiiU is in its box in my closet right now so uhhh...

I'm waiting, too

Until March 3

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
uh.... that's the release date :rolleyes: lol

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I'm Switched on for the 3rd of March.

I'm not going to do a 360 on such a console. It would be a dream to cast my first day playing such a station full of games. This might be a masterful system, the genesis of brand new super entertainment experiences. Am I going to game? boy am I!

SenseLess
May 4, 2007

Lemming posted:

You also can't gently caress up the direction when plugging it in, so gone are the days of trying to plug it in, reversing it and trying again, then realizing you had it the right way the first time and just didn't put it in right like a DUMBASS and flip it around again then plug it in

If it fits on the first try you accidentally plugged it into your ethernet port.

Which the Switch doesn't have.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I did my own Switch Negativeman. :3

Uh, edit for more contrast:

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 19, 2017

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

VideoGames posted:

I'm not going to do a 360 on such a console. It would be a dream to cast my first day playing such a station full of games. This might be a masterful system, the genesis of brand new super entertainment experiences. Am I going to game? boy am I!

Ooh, you're in for a treat

Edit:

Gaspy Conana posted:

I did my own Switch Negativeman. :3

Ah, I've had this nightmare

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

VideoGames posted:

CD-I hope the launch lineup is able to keep you n-gaged!!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It's more expensive than I thought it was, but I still think if I was going to buy a system just for Zelda I'd go wiiu and wait out the switch. In reality though I don't know anyone weird enough to buy a wiiu or switch just for a Zelda game who hasn't already done one of those things.
I'm buying a Switch for Bomberman and Snipperclips.

SenseLess
May 4, 2007

Bass Bottles posted:

OUYA!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'd like netflix on the switch, but my TV has a 'NETFLIX' button on the remote and I also have a laptop so it's pretty doubtful I'd actually use it now I think about it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

VideoGames posted:

There's a neo new quality to the geo-graphy of this world in Breath of the Wild, and the architecture of Mario's New Dunk City is beyond most 3D games, it's kind of 3DO if you will, wild stuff like a jaguar

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Modus Pwnens posted:

I mean I guess it would be nice to have access to chat and party setup stuff without getting out the console, like while I'm riding the elevator up to the rooftop party, but it sounds clunky as hell. What am I supposed to do, have phone on speaker mode so I can chat and hear the game still?

Are they too incompetent/lacking confidence to come up with an overlay for this chat and group stuff that can run independent of what game is running, or is the hardware just that lacking in overhead?
Isn't DeNA handling the online infrastructure, and aren't they primarily a mobile developer? I'm wondering if that's why they're moving a bunch of this stuff to Apps. I mean, Sony and MS have apps to interface with their consoles too, but it's in addition to being able to configure and use services on the consoles, not instead of.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

VideoGames posted:

wii hope u can afford all the game gear for such atarible system

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Crawfish posted:

Honestly, the most interesting thing about the FE Gaiden remake announced today is it now sets a precedence that wasn't really there before that Nintendo can actually localise a previously Japan only game if they feel like it.

So Mother 3 localisation is not so unlikely now.
They'd already released previously Japan-only games on the Wii VC.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Smh if you didn't buy earthbound zero

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

greatn posted:

720p on a 6 inch screen isn't low resolution. Just look up any off screen video of handheld mode or any journalist impressions, they all say it's gorgeous.

Yeah, that's 236 ppi. The iPad Pro has 264 ppi, about 10 % higher. Apple's Retina Macbooks have 220 ppi. It will look perfectly fine. You can get higher resolution phones and even tablets (my Pixel C has 306 ppi), but that's really mostly overkill and waste of battery life.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Bass Bottles posted:

Heavy Metal posted:

There's a neo new quality to the geo-graphy of this world in Breath of the Wild, and the architecture of Mario's New Dunk City is beyond most 3D games, it's kind of 3DO if you will, wild stuff like a jaguar

HyperPuma posted:

wii hope u can afford all the game gear for such atarible system

:bisonyes:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Katana Gomai posted:

Cancelled my "maybe I will, maybe I won't" amazon.de preorder, making this the first Nintendo console I'm not getting on release day since the N64. I am looking forward to it though, just not as a 400€ Zelda machine. Whatever Christmas bundle they come up with is probably what I'm going to get.

Also, is there any news of Japan-exclusive games in the launch window (e.g. Taiko no Tatsujin)? I'm in Tokyo in April and I was going to pick up some Switch games since they're quite a bit cheaper than they are here in Europe; even moreso if I can buy used. Region-free is a huge deal for me.
I'm currently imagining a German person speaking Japanese with a German accent.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

The gimmick of the Wii and WiiU controllers is that they were really comfortable and fun to play games with. Sadly other console manufacturers have not adapted such gimmicks.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
You got me a Nintendo Switch? Oh grandma, you shouldn't ha-

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

horriblePencilist posted:

Not only the worst Dpad ever but the worst XBYA buttons ever. Congratulations!

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

irlZaphod posted:

The gimmick of the Wii and WiiU controllers is that they were really comfortable and fun to play games with. Sadly other console manufacturers have not adapted such gimmicks.

On the other hand a replacement WiiU controller cost you 290 USD (because there is no way to actually buy a replacement Gamepad). A gimmick I'm happy others have not adopted.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

VideoGames posted:

Not only the worst Dpad ever but the worst XBYA buttons ever. Congratulations!

It's like the alternate reality switch where instead of all buttons they went with all pad

SenseLess
May 4, 2007

Eurogamer reports that Super Bomberman R ist now officially priced £49.99 instead of £59.99
Guess that will reflect to the price in the US. Still too steep imho.

SenseLess fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jan 19, 2017

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

horriblePencilist posted:

Enjoy Super Mario Illiad.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I can't wait to call you on my phone, and then talk to you on my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

mike12345 posted:

I can't wait to call you on my phone, and then talk to you on my phone.

This is how I play dota

• Locked thread