Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Keiya posted:

couldn't you just shoot them in the head to fix any injuries since you always respawn uninjured?
The ways Unreal Tournament 3 tried to justify respawning in the single player storyline was just kind of sad. Don't do that! Don't even acknowledge it! You can't do it without looking dumb and/or using the phrase "endless supply of clones".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

The Kins posted:

The ways Unreal Tournament 3 tried to justify respawning in the single player storyline was just kind of sad. Don't do that! Don't even acknowledge it! You can't do it without looking dumb and/or using the phrase "endless supply of clones".
"You have to take their marker flag from their base back to our base, after you capture it a set number of times, their respawners will automatically shut off and we'll have won the battle!"

"We take a set of nodes to unlock their power core, which when destroyed, shuts off their respawners!"

respawners, respawners, [i]respawners[/b]

"we've perfected warfare without collateral damage"

Hmm, the Necris are invading! *lasers everywhere, tons of collateral damage, lots of dead people*

OH NO THEY BACKSTABBED MY HOT SISTER! She can't respawn because ??????

that game's story actually made me mad. add to that most maps being stacked in the opposition's favor (3v5, 2v4, etc.), the length of maps and the godawful size of most of the arenas, i ended up just spamming bots and turning on godmode to make it tolerable.

also, fun trick if you've ever hosed around with ut99, ut2k3, ut2k4, and ut3: If you spam addbots 32 in console before a match starts, you can go past the maximum allowable number of players in the game, and the game handles the additional AI pretty well. Actual VCTF/Onslaught maps with 200-300 computer dudes duking it out. Note; you will never finish a match fairly because even on potato difficulty, you get instantly targeted if you're doing anything relevant towards objectives.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Weren't spawners always a thing? They're perfectly fine if the concept is a sport, it was trying to justify CTF and whatnot as warfare that was stupid.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Keiya posted:

Weren't spawners always a thing? They're perfectly fine if the concept is a sport, it was trying to justify CTF and whatnot as warfare that was stupid.
I'm... honestly not sure. I don't think they ever bought it up? The various little story bits mentioned things about career-ending injuries, so I'm pretty sure they just conveniently filed respawning away as a gameplay mechanic.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Field LAttice GeneratorS was my favorite UT3 story element

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Don't think I've played a shooter on steam with less quality than 99% of games on my library. Apparently, people have issues with mouse and button events not working. I couldn't actually shoot on the recent build and I had to go on the beta to play with keyboard options which are loving terrible (and I've played doom and wolf3d on keyboard).
From the description for Merger3D

About The Gamer posted:

The game takes its roots from classic first-person shooters, a series of games such as Wolfenstein 3D, Spear Of Destiny, Operation Bodycount, Blake Stone and many others.

Why would you take inspiration from Operation Bodycount?

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Give it a miss and wait for Dusk or Strafe.

I think this has come up before, but I'm kind of skeptical about Strafe. Part of it is because I think procedural generation doesn't really make for a good substitute for hand-crafted levels To be honest, the levels actually look kind of dull and samey. It's also because they keep billing it as this throwback to '90s FPS games, and it just doesn't come off like that to me.

On the other hand, I hadn't heard of Dusk up until now and I gave that a look. :stare: :drat: That actually does look like a game from 1996 (in that it looks like a mod for Quake).

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

ETPC posted:

arrrrgh this hurts to read

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The real test of Strafe is if it's going to be a solid roguelite. Ziggurat is a really dry and mediocre game but it's pretty much the best you've got if you want that particular FPS/roguelite mashup.

Billing it as a throwback to the 90s is definitely not accurate but I guess we'll see if the randomization elements keep the game interesting in its variety or if it just ends up being a repetitive bland game.

e: vvv As far as FPS games go, hand-built levels are always going to be better. But I think it's trying to be a roguelite? I don't recall anything from the trailer talking up the randomization elements (random loot? random guns? who knows!) so if it's just trying to be a slaughterfest with random maps then I'll just stick with Oblige really. Roguelites really need random levels in order to work though, because the player should never ever know what exactly is coming around the corner.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 19, 2017

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

RyokoTK posted:

The real test of Strafe is if it's going to be a solid roguelite.

Man, I want to look forward to Strafe, but the prospect of proceduraly genenerated levels doesn't excite me at all.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Vakal posted:

My dream game has always been a Unreal Tournament game that combines the action of the base games along with the insanely detailed team management stuff present in games like Football Manager 2016.

I want to put together a rag tag team of misfits and work my way up to the Liandri Grand Tournament only to get screwed over by post season injuries and salary caps.

Brock gets barred from the entire Bombing Run season after making grossly-racist remarks about the Nali on live broadcast, forcing you to drag that shitstain Othello into your A-team lineup.

Forty seconds into his first match he leaves his team's goal to pick up four health vials in a hallway and subsequently runs into his own bio-rifle slime as an opponent scores. After the match he demands a pay-raise to match his new stardom.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Deathmatch Manager sounds like a fuckin' awesome game.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Othello, without informing you, accepted a sponsorship from AXIOM-brand nutrient wafers. As part of the contract your team is required to wear specially-designed uniforms plastered in corporate logos.

The outfits are extremely flammable.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

ETPC posted:

Thanks for getting me all mad about UT3 again.

e: gently caress look how stupid they made the goddamn Redeemer what a trash game

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 19, 2017

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
one of the biggest gameplay sins UT3 makes is that the character models blend so heavily into the levels because everything is rendered in the same way and cluttered to death.

Wang_Tang
Jan 11, 2004

Cryptologic

ChickenHeart posted:

Othello, without informing you, accepted a sponsorship from AXIOM-brand nutrient wafers. As part of the contract your team is required to wear specially-designed uniforms plastered in corporate logos.

The outfits are extremely flammable.

This sounds absolutely amazing!

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Diabetes Forecast posted:

one of the biggest gameplay sins UT3 makes is that the character models blend so heavily into the levels because everything is rendered in the same way and cluttered to death.

This was my number one problem with the game. It feels like you're staring at a flat grey canvas. Nothing has any definition to it.

TF2 felt like the antidote for a while, with big, colorful, defined character models that stood out. It looked really clean, up until it didn't.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yodzilla posted:

Thanks for getting me all mad about UT3 again.

e: gently caress look how stupid they made the goddamn Redeemer what a trash game

Look out, Sonic, Dr Eggman's coming after you!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
UT3 almost works as a parody of early last-gen gritty reboots. I'm so glad Doom 16 didn't turn out like that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Keiya posted:

Speaking of UT 2003, why isn't it available anywhere? I mean sure, all that's missing is one map and some dumb story segments, but still.

Because of UT2004.

UT2004 includes everything that was in UT2003, and adds Assault and Onslaught game modes, vehicles, more maps, new weapons and a bunch of other content. There is absolutely no reason to play UT2003.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
the only real issue is I don't think alot of the usermaps for 2003 work in 2004. atleast I've never tried to see if they do. there's alot of really nice ones that only 2k3 had, like a deathmatch map set in a frozen frame of a nuclear explosion going off.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Dusk is way more up my alley than Strafe, but the music by ToyTree for Strafe is rad as hell

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Strafe is a game that I probably won't play very much, but that I backed simply because I approve of it existing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Wasn't there some old game for the original Xbox where you had to manage a team for a hyperviolent future sport?

e: Deathrow

haveblue fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 19, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

KozmoNaut posted:

Because of UT2004.

UT2004 includes everything that was in UT2003, and adds Assault and Onslaught game modes, vehicles, more maps, new weapons and a bunch of other content. There is absolutely no reason to play UT2003.

It's the Left4Dead situation; L4D2 has now encompassed, through DLC (paid on consoles, free on Steam) the entirety of L4D1 and then some. L4D2 is basically a gaming platform for L4D-like games, most notably.... L4D

RyokoTK posted:

Deathmatch Manager sounds like a fuckin' awesome game.

I would buy this in a heartbeat.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Not exactly 'early', but the current indiegala bundle has jankpile 'Xenus II: White Gold' for cheap; I've read enough about it to at least want to experience it personally :o:

https://www.indiegala.com/hump

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Because of UT2004.

CTF-DE-LavaGiant2. And some mediocre cutscenes I guess.

Keiya fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 19, 2017

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I found that rediculous map I was talking about.

check it out, maybe it works in 2k4

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

It works, but the AI doesn't seem to have any idea what to make of it.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Keiya posted:

It works, but the AI doesn't seem to have any idea what to make of it.

I don't think it had good pathing in the first place, but it's been years since I played it. It's more of an art piece cool-factor map than anything.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Diabetes Forecast posted:

This. They literally put a red/blue glow around your teammates in team modes, almost like a tacit admission of how indistinguishable everything looks. It's a shame because it actually plays really solid. All they needed to do was less, and it could've been a high point for the franchise.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I don't think it's the best, but UT2K4 is hands-down the most fun goddamned first person shooter ever made, and I challenge anyone who feels otherwise to a low-gravity, insta-gib match on Morpheus :colbert:

There are many other very fun FPS games, but UT2K4 is like gourmet digital candy.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuNrjeHJk-w

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't think it's the best, but UT2K4 is hands-down the most fun goddamned first person shooter ever made, and I challenge anyone who feels otherwise to a low-gravity, insta-gib match on Morpheus :colbert:

There are many other very fun FPS games, but UT2K4 is like gourmet digital candy.

I dunno I always preferred 99 to 2k4.

Played a poo poo ton of 2k4 tho

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Love both of those, and the Quakes, but my all time fav was Action Half-Life, that was the mightiest of jams for me.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Heavy Metal posted:

Love both of those, and the Quakes, but my all time fav was Action Half-Life, that was the mightiest of jams for me.

Same.

And now I'm the bastard who ignores invites to play again because the games are never starting when I feel like playing games :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Strafe is releasing on the 28th of March, just in case that hadn't been posted.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
That seems like a bad time to release a game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SavageMessiah posted:

I dunno I always preferred 99 to 2k4.

Played a poo poo ton of 2k4 tho

I love 99 as well, but I see 2k4 as a deluxe version of that.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Lurdiak posted:

Look out, Sonic, Dr Eggman's coming after you!

I'd play that game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
For me, UT3 sucked because on harder difficulties it upped the AI of the enemy team and lowered the AI of your team. As a result, the 'single player' was literally impossible to complete due to your idiot teammates feeding kills to the crack shot enemy team during the team deathmatch levels.