Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Herbs don't decay. If you just drop them on the ground in a random place, that town eventually resets so they vanish though.

That said, there are only a couple of alchemy potions worth making so it's really not worthwhile to waste inventory space lugging around a bunch of herbs. Also, herbs seem a bit easier to come by than previous games since they are sold in various specific stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Jeff Vogel struggled to make alchemy worthwhile while also being balanced. But it's very hard to have a crafting skill that is none of overpowered, underpowered, or plot-mandatory. In Exile 1, you had to make Graymold Salve, and if you're investing enough into alchemy to do that you might as well make some other potions on the side. In 2 and 3 it's not mandatory, and since you don't need it, why would you spend the skillpoints on it? The most obvious items to make are energy potions, which are very nice, but reasonably careful rationing will see you through with the ones you find naturally -- or failing that, you can just buy them. Money is in pretty free supply.

3 does have one rather nice thing you can do with high-level alchemy, which I'll refrain from spoiling. It's still not really clear that it's worth it though.

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016
Yeah, from what I've noticed, Alchemy is almost useless in Exile II outside of Energy Potions, which are expensive to make anyways.

In Exile III, however, I think Alchemy in general has a bit more usage. One is the spoiler that TMA has mentioned, but the other is if you're playing a full Anama run and are forbidden from using Mage spells, which makes Speed potions and Poison (as well as the Poison stat itself) at least somewhat useful.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Next update delayed until I either fix my current wireless keyboard for the computer I record the updates on, or get a replacement.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The most obvious items to make are energy potions, which are very nice, but reasonably careful rationing will see you through with the ones you find naturally -- or failing that, you can just buy them. Money is in pretty free supply.
It'd only be worth it with Strong Energy potions anyways since in the Lorelei area there is a traveling potion seller that sells Medium pretty cheap and has unlimited stock.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

berryjon posted:

Next update delayed until I either fix my current wireless keyboard for the computer I record the updates on, or get a replacement.

Good luck with your keyboard issues

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Update 046 – Marish and the Chasm of Screams

“So, where to now?”

“West.”

“Don't care as long as we get to ride horses!”

“Why that direction?”

“Why not?”

“Reasons are helpful, especially now that we have those crystals for analysis.”

“They're Vahnatai in design, I can tell you that much. No, I want to go west and try to find the dragons first.”

“Any particular reason why?”

“Aside from Anaixiamander saying so? I want to talk to them about the evidence implicating them before confronting Rentar-Ihrno.”

“That sounds like a story.”

“Let's just say I'll take confronting a dragon over confronting her any day.”

“And that huge section of unexplored territory has nothing to do with it, I'm sure.”

:barf:

:catholic: “Feeling better?”

“Yes, thank you.”

“Hey there.”

“Greetings. Heard about you from the Dervish. Still have to inspect you, you understand.”

“Go ahead. I'm not about to wreck our working relationship by smuggling whatever it is.”

“Skribbane.”

:science: “They're clear.”

“On your way. And good luck.”

“Thanks.”

“And now, on the other side of the river.”

“This is as good a place as any to start heading overland.”

“Mountains where we learned that ritual.”

Re-learned in my case.”

“Something is in here...”

“Oh, nice!”

“Western coast. That's the Isle of Bigail over there.”

“I have an idea. My precious, activate!”

“What is the purpose of coming out here? I could swim it!”

“THIS!”

“What is this?”

“A very large sandbar.”

“That was... useless.”

“No it wasn't! We explored, and I got to play with my baby some more.”

Matthias is right. There's a very large crescent of those tiny islands to the west of Lorelei and to the east of Bigail which serves no purpose except to be there.

“More horse riding!”

We are now north of Bigail, going along the coast.

“I have to admit, it's nice and quiet.”

“The waters are soothing.”

“Alaska?”

“Alakas.”

“Ugh. I need a nap.”

“There's no road. Not even on this side of the island.”

“Maybe this colony is too new?”

“No. Even though the bridge is there, there should be a road or a path or ... something.”

“That's something.”

“Careful,we're investigating.”

“Great. Gazers and Eyebeasts.”

“I was sure that would work!”

I was unpleasantly surprised to find out that the SP draining ability of the Gazers and Eye Beasts weren't blocked by the anti-magic field. I put these guys on par with Rakshasa when it comes to fighting, and to be honest, even with the average party level approaching 35 at this point, I still find them to be a pain in the rear end to fight.

And because this is apparently the first time I've had a chance to Scry a Gazer.

“They're all dead.”

:ssj:

“I feel like island hopping.”

“Art, no.”

“Art, yes!”

“Awwww....”

“And nothing on this island either.”

“Alrght, more mountains. Hopefully we're closer to where we need to go.”

“You mean where you want to go.”

“Eh... close enough.”

“More island hopping!”
“ugh”
“YAY!”

“Well, we are pretty close to Bigail here. It might actually be possible to hop across the channel.”

Turns out you can't.

“Bye!”

“This town is on the map of Bigail actually. I think it's Marish.”

“I don't remember anything important about this place.”

“It is actually the port associated with Shayder.”

“Nice!”

“Rolling the dice...”

This man is polishing a small statue when you come in. The shop is filled with all sorts of unusual and uninteresting items from all over Valorim. “I'm Udell. Welcome to Udell's Miscellany. We have thing ships bring from all over. Sell me your stuff and purchase new stuff to carry around!”

“Sure, we'll see what you have.”

The only thing stopping me from buying that Magic Breastplate is that Bronwyn already has one. And that's what .. the fourth? I've seen in random shops this game?

“Told you.”

“We believed you the first time.”

“Hello!”

You meet the mayor of Marish. He is sitting in his office, the common room of the town inn, looking at some papers. He straightens his mayor's sash and rises to greet you. “I am Mayor Yale of Marish.”

“Bronwyn.”

“I have heard of you. The Mayor of Shayder was quite pleased with your conduct. I, however, am doing the best I can, considering the hard times.”

“Surely being mayor is a good thing?”

“A great honor. When I was too old to be a sailor, this is where I came to settle down. They liked me. Here I am.”

“So, what are the hard times that have befallen you.”

“Monsters. What else does anyone have to worry about? Monsters! Undead and giant lizards are harassing us from the north. That's why we've been looking into adventurers.”

“Hate to break it to you, but giant lizards aren't a big threat. Undead yes, but not lizards.”

“Try thirty-foot long snakes that cast spells.”

“I take that back. So, adventurers?”

Yale looks a you sombrely. “With the plagues of monsters, the Empire has neglected us out on the frontier. This policy is bearing bitter fruit ... we are assaulted by monsters – undead and lizards mostly ... mainly, but there are also those floating eye things. They come from a cavern in the mountains forty or fifty miles to the north. Slay them, and we will reward you as best we can.”

“On it.”

“Hah! Drakes lead to dragons!”

“Curious, Matthias' map shows a bolt hole back here.”

“I feel the sudden urge to check it out.”

“Oh, that's not good.”

“Should we tell the Mayor?”

Nothing ever comes of this, and no one responds to the bodies behind the wall.

“Well, time to do another good thing for people.”

“The end of the road.”

“And the start of the monsters.”

Undead and Ice Drakes. For some reason I didn't take a screenshot of the fight itself.

“I think these are the wrong mountains. We're too close to the coast.”

“...”

I repeat – these guys are a chore.

Oh hey, there's that encounter again! While we're near the objective and until we complete it, there will be these random encounters popping up which involve Wights and Ice Drakes.

“...”

“...”

“...”

“...”

“...”

“...”

“...”

“No, not this way. The tracks don't go in the right direction.”

“I have to agree. This is the wrong direction to find the source of this scourge.”

“You called it a scourge? Really?”

“Yes I did. Now, let's get back around the other side of the mountains.”

“We just had to go back, didn't we?”

“Convenient.”

“B~oring!”

“NOT BORING!”

“This looks to be it.”

“I agree.”

“Poor horsies!”

I'll be honest with you all. This dungeon is practically a gimme at this point. It's boring, and there's no real major reward for it. But completion-ho!

“Ah.”

“Nagas, not dragon-kin.”

“Awww! I wanted to meet Dragons!”

“We will eventually, don't worry.”

“This cold...”

“I'm glad I'm big! I don't get cold easy.”

“At least there's nothing over there on that obvious watch platform to attack us.”

“You were saying?”

:science:

“As I said, nothing over there.”

“Not. A. Word.”

“I didn't say anything.”

:lol:

I went out and camped at this point.

“Sounds like a source of undead.” :catholic:

“We really need to cast that spell more often.”

“Not undead, but ice lizards and puddings.”

“Ugh. Wights.”

“What is that noise?”

“Sounds like nagas in pain?”

“How would you even know that?”

“Practice!”

“Not overkill at all.”

Very little I can do about someone going from 60+HP to dead in a single action.

“And that takes care of more of the ice drakes. But no Nagas yet, oddly enough.”

“Here they are!”

Do those two Ur-Basilisk's count for the random encounter counter or not? I mean, I have warning they are here due to the Curse All hitting them. I was told in advance that there were giant lizards here (though those are obviously the Nagas and the Drakes), and as you will see later, you can bypass them readily.

“Hah!”

“Still have more snakes to kill!”

“Hold still!” :flame:

“I just hope there's some good looting after all this.”

“Well, there are plenty of secret passages, so perhaps?”

“Curious. There are not as many undead as I was expecting.”

“Perhaps the Nagas kept most of them outside to assail the innocent?”

“Sounds evil.”

“Allow me.”

“Darn. Well have to go around for the other treasure.”

There's only a thousand gold in this chest – except I've already hit the in-game cap of 30,000 gold pieces. I need to find something to spend it all on. Thankfully, I know a place to drop 8,000 on.

“Careful, we still haven't encountered those Ur-Basilisk's yet.”

“Hostile breach then?”

“Yep!”

:science:

:black101:

“There's nothing back here.”

“Well, these might be useful.”

“And I see now. Those who thoughtlessly dismiss barriers wind up assailed by the Ur-Basilisks.”

“And Quickfire too.”

“Clear.”

“Clear.”

“Logic dictates there is an Ur-basilisk to the south-east.”

“CHARGE!”

“Black Shades?”

“Oh, I appear to have forgotten about those when focusing on the Ur-Basilisks.”

“Well, that's done. Let's see what we can loot.”

“Keeping this, just in case.”

“Other than that, nothing of importance. Time to leave.”

“Yay! The horses are safe!”

“Hey.”

“And thus our ability to affect this town has come to an end. Can't go south. Must go north instead!”

:sigh:

berryjon fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 13, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
That dungeon is pretty annoying, mostly due to all the ranged combat it involves. There's lots of enemies with spells and/or breath weapons, and they can use them a lot more freely than you can, unless you retreat to rest.

As I recall, when I played through it with a singleton party, I just kept the lights off and ran through, avoiding as many of the fights as possible.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

We are definitely in the part of the game I don't recall very well.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Soon we will get to the bottom of this mystery! The mystery of the missing map squares :argh:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

Soon we will get to the bottom of this mystery! The mystery of the missing map squares :argh:

The real reason I went this way - with the exception of that Drake in the volcano all the way south (I should take care of that), and a couple hidden end-game, optional dungeons, I've drawn a rough mapped line along the halfway point of the map, and done everything to the south of it.

Next update, of course, ignores all that and instead I deal with the following: Diplomacy, Deserters and Dragons. One of these is not like the others.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
So, since the naga in the game have human heads, do you think the shed skins only go to the neck?

berryjon posted:

Aside from Anaixmander saying so?

Maybe this colony is to new?”

undead and lizards mostly mainly

There is not as many undead as I was expecting.

Feel like that last one should be"There are".

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Zagglezig posted:

Feel like that last one should be"There are".

Fixed in the update, thanks.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm just laughing at the magic breastplates now. Maybe a wizard got tired of making horrendous deathbeasts all day and just made magic breastplates all day and flooded the market?

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

Glazius posted:

I'm just laughing at the magic breastplates now. Maybe a wizard got tired of making horrendous deathbeasts all day and just made magic breastplates all day and flooded the market?

Reminds me of nakar's ultima lps
didnt steve make a bu ch of enchanted arms and armor and left them to prowl britania?

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Arkanumzilong posted:

Reminds me of nakar's ultima lps
didnt steve make a bu ch of enchanted arms and armor and left them to prowl britania?

Magic armor - I think he tried a glass sword too, but they didn't do anything. One of the many amusing things Nakar did to break U6. I don't remember where he did it, but he did it.

One of my favorite LP series ever, right there. :3:

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

Magic armor - I think he tried a glass sword too, but they didn't do anything. One of the many amusing things Nakar did to break U6. I don't remember where he did it, but he did it.

One of my favorite LP series ever, right there. :3:

Same here, still go back to read those lps every once in a while

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I straight up admit in the OP that Nakar's work is an inspiration for me, so I strongly encourage everyone to read the adventures of Steve the Avatar, and her adventures in Britannia and beyond!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Huh, independent of this, I started reading Nakar's U4 LP this morning. :tinfoil:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Update 047 – Calloc and the Dragon Lairs

"Well, that's not good. The magic stone we picked up was another Airy Stone."

Still cursed due to a programming glitch.

While running over to Shayder to ID and dump stuff, I discovered that you could take horses on the boats! Nice!

"Well, there should be a town to the north anyways."

"True. And general exploration is a goal."

"And we get to ride horsies!"

"At least that's one positive."

"That sign should get changed soon."

"Speaking of positives, this grove of trees is strangely regular."

"I remember this! That dryad who we gave the flower to said to start here and go south!"

"It's <i>whom</i>, not <i>who</i>."

"Whatever. We go straight south from here!"

It's an Ivory Charm, which will go on ... someone. At some point. When I don't have something better to put around their neck.

"Enough dallying! Northward ho!"

"Hrm, nothing out of the ordinary."

"You say that as it's obvious these fields have been picked over."

"We must be careful, the guards are wary of me."

"We'll leave the horses here then. Let them know we're not fleeing.”

“Oh, hello Merry.”

“Merry Count” posted:

“PUPPY!”

“Don't go touching anything, you whatever you are.”

“I'm Sass!”

“Yes. Yes you are.”

“No boats in a long time. I wonder where they would go?”

“Good afternoon!”

You meet the innkeeper. He also wears the mayor's sash of Calloc. It's not surprising ... most mayors of these small towns have to work at a regular job. “I'm Rabellino. Welcome to the Beautiful Town of Calloc.”

Yes, that capitalization is in the original text.

“So, what's the going rate for the rooms?”

“Well, we have fine luxury rooms for only 12 gold for the night, and delicious steaks for five gold. Or,” he says with distaste, “are you here on mayor business?”

“The latter, I'm sorry to say.”

He grumbles. “We could use more adventurers around here. The army deserters cause no end of trouble. And worse, we had the trouble with the looters and the raiders.”

“You'll have to forgive me for saying this, but Army deserters? I don't recall that ever happening!”

“And you probably would never had, had things been normal. What, with all the monsters everywhere, some of our so-called protectors are more than willing to turn coward and run, looting and stealing the possessions of good citizens. Gut'em all, that's what I say.”

“I'll keep that in mind. You were talking about looters and raiders?”

“We've had lots of trouble with people coming in and stealing our food. Are you interested in a mission?”

“Of course!”

“For months, our crops have been torn up, and our animals have been stolen. We know what's causing it now. One of our farmers was out at midnight on watch and saw Nephilim around his crops. Those foul creatures must be dealt with! Their clan lives in the mountains to the northeast. Deal with them, and we will pay you.”

“And the fact I'm travelling with a Nephil?”

He waves a hand dismissively. “A civilized one, I presume. I only want the thieves punished.”

“Greetings.”

You meet a mage. She looks very ill, but still works doggedly on a long, intricate scroll. “I am Black. Welcome.” She coughs heavily into her hand. “Excuse me. I'm not well.” She coughs again. “I teach magic.”

“That cough of yours sounds... bad. Do you need healing?”

She coughs again. “Don't worry. I'm not contagious. I don't think. Anyway, you can purchase mage spells from me. If you want.”

Ehhhh... Poison is more reliable on weapons with the innate ability, and Group Fear isn't all that great. I can trash trash mobs already, and the peer-level opponents I face are either immune to it, or have too much morale to make using this rather than sheer damage an effective option.

“Forgive me for prying, but when you say you aren't contagious...?”

“I came here from the Isle of Bigail.” She says this as if it answers your question.

“You know the source of the plague was burned out, right? The magical roaches had their home nest destroyed by liberal application of quickfire.”

“The Anama would never resort to using Quickfire.” She coughs again.

“Who said anything about the Anama?”

“Heh. Well, good thoughts will help me heal. So thanks for that.”

“Well, well, what do we have here...?”

Taking one step north will take me out of town. I don't want that.

“Hello?”

:flame:

“That was less interesting than I had hoped. Empire deserters, really? I mean, why would you give up the safety of having more people helping by striking out on your own, weakening both you and them?”

“Oh hey Matthias. I heard the sounds of fighting.”

“Just some deserters.”

:ssj:

:black101:

“Yeah, a mage and a demon? Here's an Anti-magic field.”

“Well, that was fun.”

“See you around. Going to get this soot out of my poncho.”

“And a little magic..”

Bronwyn, actually.

“Junk.”

“So, Empire Deserters dealt with, though I suspect we'll get no reward or recognition for that.”

“I want to check out these allegations of Nephilim raiding the town. Something about this doesn't seem right.”

“And we can ask them if they've seen the dragons. I mean, we were told the guy who saw them was up here, so it's only natural.”

“They are here.”

“We are less than a dozen miles from Calloc. This is... weird.”

“Ni'aurrl, you're up.”

“Hail!”

“I am more comfortable hunting dire bears than my distant kinfolk.”

“So am I!”

“And the damage outside Calloc is closer in line with Ursagi than Nephil.”

“Agreed.”

“Well, I don't have any objections.”

“Then off we go!”

This is literally on the other side of the small mountain range south-east of Calloc. Less than a dozen tiles. If only Calloc had more people to help reconnoitre the area, and not, say ... run away. :sigh:

This fight isn't much of a problem at all. Ursagi haven't been a threat since the Isle of Bigail.

“Well, that was invigorating.”

The Mayor of Calloc didn't respond to me taking out the Ursagi, and the Nephil are gone. I may have missed a flag somewhere, and I'll check that out later.

“Well, that's our good deed for the day. Let's go north now.”

“Well, that clan hadn't seen any dragons, but then again, their faces were pointed down, not up.”

“Well, I recognize that silhouette. Come on! We must be close!”

“What are those?”

“No idea.”

Me screaming internally because we're about to encounter something out of order, and I can't stop it now.

“Which one... Right!”

“HELLO?”

“I may be the voice of reason here, but why are we trying to gain audience with a dragon who is planning on lethal force?”

“That's weird. I mean, I can understand Athron. She has a recently hatched brood to take care of. But Khoth? He's usually at least tolerant of people who come to him with and for knowledge.”

“What may have changed?”

“... Probably being captured and tortured by the Empire during the war, and any fallout from their murder of Motrax.”

“A sad day for all of Exile.”

“Even dragons have trash pits. Let's have a look at the other side then.”

“I'm sorry, but I think you said something about this particular dragon having a brood?”

“Clutch, actually.”

“I thought 'brood' applied once they hatch?”

“Well, 'clutch' applies to eggs. Maybe they haven't hatched yet?”

“I'm pretty sure they have. I saw the eggs about five years ago, during the war.”

“At least security for them is solid.”

“And some intruders, I think. I can't identify anything about them.”

“Might as well.”

“Well, now that we're down here, I think that Sulfras is here.”

“Three dragons in the same spot?”

“Mutual defence, I think.”

“No way to get through this lock without a key.”

Much like the Electrum Key in Erika's tower, we need a Gold Key to access the back areas of this lair. I honestly don't remember how to get it, and may have to cheat it into my inventory at some point.

“No robbing.”

“Wasn't thinking of it.”

“Why did you respond before me?”

“Well, and invitation is an invitation.”

“I've never seen a dragon before!”

“I think the only one who has is Art.”

“I've met all five dragons in Exile. Killed one.”

“Yeah, I don't believe that.”

“Pyrog was a fool, and that death shall not be lamented.”

“Hello again, Sulfras.”

You stand, quaking, before a specimen of the largest and mightiest species on the planet: a dragon. Sulfras, queen of lizardkind, towers before you, staring at you with ancient, fiery eyes. She breathes deeply and the thick, sulphurous gas makes you gag. “I am Sulfras.” Her words are slow and majestic, and when she speaks you can easily see her multitudes of massive teeth.

“can i go home now?”

“That isn't doing my constitution any favors.”

“Hey there.”

“Art. Art. Art. Twice before you have entered into my lair. The first to pay for passage, the second to set me free from betrayal. I have allowed you to enter so we can speak of important matters.”

“I am alright with Art doing the talking.”

“As am I.”

“Do you know why I am here?”

“For two reasons. One of which you already know. First, it has come to our attention that we have fallen under the suspicions of the Exiles. Second, we wish to enlist your help.”

“Well then, let's get the suspicions dealt with. We found evidence of dragons in the Trash Pit south on the Isle of Bigail. It was the source of the plague that afflicted that isle.”

“A scale is no proof, not when those who are responsible also brought whole peoples back from the void.” She emits a dry, flaming chuckle. “We did not do this thing. Yes, we are planning our vengeance against the Empire. But it has not yet begun. The enemy of our enemy is our friend, and that is why we wish to reassure Exile that we have had no part in these plagues. And why we wish to enlist your help, Art, as our agent.”

“Well, that's not ominous at all. What do you need my help with?”

“We wish to retain your aid in dealing with certain irksome pests.”

“And what would these pests be?”

“What would a dragon consider irksome?”

“First, to the northeast corner of my lair. Enter it. Deal with the pests within. When you have slain them, come back and we shall discuss things more.”

“On it.”

“Wrong room, I think.”

“Yea, I think so.”

“Trust a dragon to keep pests in a pen.”

“Those things ... they're the same things we saw as skeletons out in the valley.”

And here is the Sixth Plague – the Alien Beasts. We haven't started the fifth one yet, and we can't progress past this point on the Alien Beasts until we deal with the Golems first.

The basic Alien beast is a respectable foe – 30 skill means they are pretty accurate (except for after I'm done with the buffing/debuffing) and the 9d10 damage is huge. These are the most basic grunts of the last Plague, and they get bigger and more powerful from here on out.

“This thing ... it's wrong. Sulfras was underselling what these things were. We need to talk to her.”

“Sulfras! What are those things?”

“As you can see, these 'Alien Beasts', as the humans call them, are ... mildly annoying. We know that you are fighting the monsters, and are having success. More so than we. I wish to make you a sword to exterminate them.”

“A sword? That seems a little, I don't know, simple?”

“I have a habit of helping humans. It is unpleasant, but necessary. We wish the Alien Beasts dead. I will make you a weapon to help slay them. To do this, I need two things. Instructions on how to make it, and a bar of special metal. Go up to my siblings, Khoth and Athron. They will give you these things. Then return to me.”

“Helping, my rear end. I had to bribe you once, and the second time I had to rescue you. But fine, we'll talk to the others.”

“If you don't mind, so we in Exile can be prepared for it, what are your plans for vengeance?”

“We are not the only dragons to survive the ... pogrom of the Empire. I will gather them, and lead them against those who though themselves our masters. That is all you need to know.”

“Fine by me. We'll be right back. Let's talk to Athron first, and get out of the way of the paranoid mother.”

“I thought all dragons were paranoid to a degree?”

“Well, paranoid by their definition.”

“So, we're expected now. And remember, don't harm the dragonlings.”

“I think we should take that side passage there.”

“I think so too. I can hear many sources of hissing down this way.”

“Athron.”

You stand before the legendary, secretive Athron. She is dark gray and green, eighty feet from tip to tail, and completely lethal. She looks undecided about whether to kill you or not.

“Art. Unlike my ... siblings, I am ambivalent as to your presence. You keep intruding.”

“Always with good cause.”

“And new followers as well. Very well.” She snorts flame and speaks in a voice deepened by centuries of life. “I am Athron.” She idly gouges the floor with a claw two feet long. “I intend to raise my brood. In peace.”

“How are they? We know you had them, but we respect your isolation that we only come now when circumstances force us.”

“I am the first of my kind in a century to have children. However, circumstances force me to be protective.”

“You're going to have to be a little more detailed where these circumstances are concerned.”

She snorts. “My siblings wish to do battle. I wish for our people to survive. Which is more important? That is why I wish to help fight the Alien Beasts.”

“Is there anything you can add about the Alien Beasts?”

She growls “They are pests, whom none can control. That is what Sulfras and Khoth say anyway. They cannot control them. They wish them slain. I will assist in this. I will give you help again, Art.”

“I thank you for your kindness.”

“The Alien Beasts are malevolent and sly. I can slay them, but I fear they may still sneak in and take my broodlings. In the middle chest nearby, you can find metal which may make a weapon to kill them. That is all the help I can give.”

“Thank you again, Athron. By all grace, we should not have to impose again for this small event.”

“And don't touch any of the other boxes. We're not here to raid Dragon hoards!”

This is the same metal that the smith from a couple updates ago wants, which is the same metal from the Inn of Blades sidequest. We could take this to the smith, but then we would need to track down the third source of the metal before getting Sulfras' weapon. I think I'll wait on the smith for that third source.

“And now for Khoth.”

“Khoth?”

“So many books!”

“Khoth is usually pretty nice about people reading. Just take the hint when something warns you away.”

“Art.”

“Khoth.”

“Are you on a first name basis with every last power in Exile?”

“Yes?”

“You scare me sometimes.”

“That's only because you're used to the terror now!”

You encounter the dragon Khoth, one of the most learned and secretive members of dragonkind. He is reading a scroll, carefully holding it in his claws. You have to wait five minutes to finish it before he deigns to speak with you. His voice is raspy, and laced with contempt. “I am Khoth. What is so important that you must disturb my readings? This piece about the ethics of life creation by Solution is quite illuminating.”

“Khoth. How are you faring?”

“Better, Art. I study and learn. And the rest of the time, I meditate on my hatred of humans.”

“...”

“I despise humankind, especially the clump of petty monkeys that calls itself the Empire. But this is all irrelevant. Sulfras has convinced me I must assist you in other matters. By sharing with you.”

“I understand why you hate the Empire so. I regret every day that passed before my arrival.”

Hs eyes flash with fury. He inhales deeply. You prepare for a burst of flame, but, fortunately, it doesn't come. He calms down and says “I chose to speak of it no longer, Art. Instead, you may purchase a few spells from me I am always eager to add to my trove. Then, I can help you with Sulfras' Alien Beast problem.”

Nothing we haven't seen and purchased before.

“Search my bookshelves. You will find what you need eventually. I have a tome which will teach you how to make a weapon to slay the Alien Beasts, the culmination of months of tho tough research on my part. Take it to Sulfras. I wish to waste no more time on mere humans.”

“Let's start reading!”

“This book was right by the door!”

“Oooh, useful against demons.”

“ooohhh.... How much wood can a woodchuck chuck....”

“My brain!”

Not one of the three useful Alchemical potions.

I don't know what this one does.

“Huh, so that's what that does.”

“Let me Firewalk us out of here.”

“BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!”

“Is that her good laugh, or her evil laugh?”

“Yes.”

“Thought so.”

“Back to Sulfras.”

“Another locked door.”

“We have returned with what you asked for.”

“whoa.”

In the end, this will go on Bronwyn. However, until we start fighting Alien Beasts properly, she will stay with her flaming sword for more damage against all foes, rather than ruinous damage against one specific foe.

“Alright, current plan. Go back to Fort Emergence for the first time in ages, report on the shards and everything else that's happened, get orders, talk to the Vahnatai, and then see where that leads us.”

“Back to Exile.”

“Could be worse places to go.”

Actually, I think I'm going to do a Great Map Update next time. We've covered a lot of ground since the last one. And as I mentioned in the thread, coming over to deal with the Dragons has actually caused me to pretty much cover 95% of everything in the lower half of the map. That 5% is end-game content, and a event battle that I quit from when I got to it the first time.

berryjon fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 18, 2017

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

berryjon posted:

I straight up admit in the OP that Nakar's work is an inspiration for me, so I strongly encourage everyone to read the adventures of Steve the Avatar, and her adventures in Britannia and beyond!

I've played Ultima 7 probably about as many times as I've read those LPs.

Incidentally, I suspect that's why I've enjoyed these LPs so much - you've done a good job capturing (or creating, if you prefer) the party banter that I love in a narrative LP, with an additional dash of "tweaking the story." :cheers:

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Huh, independent of this, I started reading Nakar's U4 LP this morning. :tinfoil:

Hoo boy. If you've never read them before, you're in for a hell of a ride. :v: I tend to tell anyone who's even vaguely interested in LPs to read them on the LP Archive. :3:

Edit for suggested edits:

"It's <i>whom</i>, not <i>who</i>."

“Search my bookshelves. You will find what you need eventually. I have a tome which will teach you how to make a weapon to slay the Alien Beasts, the culmination of months of tho tough research on my part. Take it to Sulfras. I wish to waste no more time on mere humans.”

Epsilon Moonshade fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 18, 2017

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

If memory serves, that locked area for Sulfras is like the locked area for Erika - flavor via magic map, of bits of the home of a powerful being that you aren't actually able to go strolling around in. And there's no key to be obtained in-game, though in-universe a key conceptually exists.

I want to say a later area also has the same quirk of the mappable area including sections you can't actually legitimately explore.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
So, what does the Avatar spell do?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nuramor posted:

It gives you pretty much every buff in the game, including invulnerability.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Vil posted:

I want to say a later area also has the same quirk of the mappable area including sections you can't actually legitimately explore.

It does, though discussing further would be spoilers.

Nuramor posted:

God-mode for one character, more or less. If I recall, it's bless/haste/invulnerability/magic resistance/martyr's shield (reflects a portion of melee damage at attacker). It's very expensive though -- 12 SP if I recall correctly. In Exile 2 it was cheaper and thus amazing for singleton parties; in Exile 3 it still comes out for those instances where you want invulnerability. The problem with larger parties is that usually your priest isn't built to really take advantage of the buffs it gives you, which encourage the PC to be on the front lines soaking damage and laying down the hurt. Art of course is perfectly-well-suited to that job, so it's just a question of if she's willing to spend the SP.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I don't know if it's true for THIS specific instance, but those "you feel unhinged" things usually are a minor XP drain. Small enough that you'd miss it if you didn't specifically check though.

Also, I like the Solution reference :cheers:

Vil posted:

If memory serves, that locked area for Sulfras is like the locked area for Erika - flavor via magic map, of bits of the home of a powerful being that you aren't actually able to go strolling around in. And there's no key to be obtained in-game, though in-universe a key conceptually exists.

In fact, in most of these inaccessible areas, if you cheat your way in, there's just empty chests anyways. Purely for decor.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
:D I feel honored!

Also, Erika is my favorite Vogel character.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
So what happens if you try to get a look at the baby dragons?

Little disappointed none of the Khoth library books were like those romance novel stuff from the start of the game. I guess he sticks to non-fiction. Granted, I suppose most fiction would be about humans, which definitely wouldn't interest him now.

berryjon posted:

by striking out on your own, weaking both you and them?

My siblings wish to do battle. I with for our people to survive.

His voice is raspy, and laces with contempt

Assuming a couple cases of non-capitalization (Sass seeing Sulfras, Bronwyn seeing the sword) were on purpose for effect.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Zagglezig posted:

They look like drakes -- black 2x1-sprite lizards with spells and breath weapons. And if you kill any of them, you get locked out of the Beastslayer Blade because Athron refuses to deal with you (and might even turn hostile, I forget).

Basically your options are a) cast Magic Map (or use the all-maps cheat), b) just happen to notice the secret passageway, or c) make a gauntlet run past the broodlings.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

It does, though discussing further would be spoilers.
I want to say Blackcrag (it's been mentioned already, so that it exists is not a spoiler), but if you're thinking of some place else, nothing is ringing any bells.

God-mode for one character, more or less. ... Art of course is perfectly-well-suited to that job, so it's just a question of if she's willing to spend the SP.

Why do you think Art was laughing like a maniac when she got it? Bless, Haste, Poisoned weapons (with weapons with that quality already), Invincibility, Magic Resistance and Sanctuary all in one spell? It's how she soloed the dungeon to get Demonslayer last game.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

:D I feel honored!

I have made it a point to mention other LPs from the same company. TMA's effort got a mention earlier as well. Just to, you know, show some respect for all the others willing to invest in the time and effort required for these things.

Zagglezig posted:

As long as you don't kill any, they are just generic drakes. Kill any of them, and Athron goes ballistic. But I'm not here to kill dragons yet.

quote:

Assuming a couple cases of non-capitalization (Sass seeing Sulfras, Bronwyn seeing the sword) were on purpose for effect.
Those were on purpose, and will stay uncapitalized. Everything else is fixed.

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016
Awesome, I've been waiting a while to do this! Ladies and gentlemen, the stats of the dragons!

Here's something important to note with them: Khoth is supposed to be the most learned and studious of the dragons, which you think would mean he'd have the best spell-casting ability and the weakest physical stats. But instead, Khoth has NO spellcasting ability whatsoever, has none of the immunities the other dragons have, and is actually slightly stronger damage-wise than Athron! I don't get these inconsistencies.

Also, Sulfras will kick your butt to the moon and back. Unless you're playing a one-man warrior-priest party and spam Avatar on yourself. And even then it's a grind.

It's also weird that the mayor didn't get an update for the defeated Ursagi - I can swear that he does mention it, rewards you for ending the problems, then is a total racist and says "It's a shame you couldn't wipe out the kitties, too." Maybe you need to revisit the nephils first?

Finally, ALIEN BEASTS. By this point in the story, one or two can be taken down by the party no problem. Heck, even a pack of them isn't too tough if you use bless+curse every fight, or even area-of-effect spells. But if you have no magic and/or run into one of the MANY late-game encounters? You can win, but you're taking tons of damage. And they're ALWAYS in packs late-game. It's a frightening image, too - a five-foot tall six-legged pitbull that can turn its head like an owl and mauls everything in sight is downright pants-soiling.

EDIT: Also, I'm pretty sure (about 75%) that there have been more than 5 Merrys so far.

LuffyVeggies fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 19, 2017

berryjon
May 30, 2011

LuffyVeggies posted:

Awesome, I've been waiting a while to do this! Ladies and gentlemen, the stats of the dragons!
I knew I forgot something!

quote:

It's also weird that the mayor didn't get an update for the defeated Ursagi - I can swear that he does mention it, rewards you for ending the problems, then is a total racist and says "It's a shame you couldn't wipe out the kitties, too." Maybe you need to revisit the nephils first?
Yeah, I'm going to poke around and see if I just missed something. I could have sworn he hands you a Helm of Alertness as a reward, but that may be mixed up with the previous town quest.

quote:

Finally, ALIEN BEASTS. By this point in the story, one or two can be taken down by the party no problem. Heck, even a pack of them isn't too tough if you use bless+curse every fight, or even area-of-effect spells. But if you have no magic and/or run into one of the MANY late-game encounters? You can win, but you're taking tons of damage. And they're ALWAYS in packs late-game. It's a frightening image, too - a five-foot tall six-legged pitbull that can turn its head like an owl and mauls everything in sight is downright pants-soiling.
Remember, I haven't even started on the 5th Plague yet. This is just a preview for the end-game.

quote:

EDIT: Also, I'm pretty sure (about 75%) that there have been more than 5 Merrys so far.

So am I! I just need to verify the total because I'm sure I skipped some at some point, or at least backtrack to find the last time I made a Merry count.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

berryjon posted:

That is actually what got me reading your exike lps in the first place
Was unfamiliar with the games (outside of the avernum name) saw your mention of nakar as an inspiration and ended up reading almost non stop trough all of your exile lps until this point
And loving them

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

Nuramor posted:

Surprised that, with all the nakar ultima lps talk no one took the chance to make a joke with this

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Arkanumzilong posted:

Surprised that, with all the nakar ultima lps talk no one took the chance to make a joke with this

I would only make that joke with Nakar's permission.

Or if Nakar showed up in person to make the joke.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I think it's actually kind of adorable that all the dragons have pulled together like this. And there are babies! It seemed from the first two games that the dragons would just kind of fade from the world, and if that's not the case I'll be glad.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Glazius posted:

I think it's actually kind of adorable that all the dragons have pulled together like this. And there are babies!

Do we know who the father is?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

The Lone Badger posted:

Do we know who the father is?

We're waiting on the paternity test results from Maury.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Hope they're reinforced their set for the catfight scene where the father's actual wife comes out and starts beating up on daddy and Athron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

Hope they're reinforced their set for the catfight scene where the father's actual wife comes out and starts beating up on daddy and Athron.

You know, I think I'd pay to watch this....

from a safe distance.

• Locked thread