Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The problems of flying an unpressurized jet powered combat aircraft are hilariously numerous. It was bad enough in piston powered bombers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Reading that article I was scared that it was gonna end up as a Byford Dolphin scenario

quote:

Subsequent investigation by forensic pathologists determined Hellevik, being exposed to the highest pressure gradient and in the process of moving to secure the inner door, was forced through the 60 centimetres (24 in) in diameter opening created by the jammed interior trunk door by escaping air and violently dismembered, including bisection of the thoracoabdominal cavity which further resulted in expulsion of all internal organs of the chest and abdomen except the trachea and a section of small intestine and of the thoracic spine and projecting them some distance, one section later being found 10 metres (30 ft) vertically above the exterior pressure door.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Luckily the cockpit glass wasn't designed to withstand anywhere near 9atm. I wonder how high the pressure actually got.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mortabis posted:

That seems really weird because I can hold my breath a lot longer than 20 seconds. Does low pressure make that harder?

It can take quite a while before you recognize that you even need to. If an alarm isn't triggered, you probably don't even realize there's a problem until you're hypoxic enough that the symptoms catch your attention.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Godholio posted:

It can take quite a while before you recognize that you even need to. If an alarm isn't triggered, you probably don't even realize there's a problem until you're hypoxic enough that the symptoms catch your attention.

I've done hypoxia training, and I can tell you that the onset is extremely insidious. There were a quite a few people in the pressure chamber who needed assistance to put their masks on because they just flat-out didn't realise they were hypoxic.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

MrChips posted:

I've done hypoxia training, and I can tell you that the onset is extremely insidious. There were a quite a few people in the pressure chamber who needed assistance to put their masks on because they just flat-out didn't realise they were hypoxic.

Destin at Smarter Every Day did a good video on it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kUfF2MTnqAw basically the same thing happened to him.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's emphasized in human factors training that pilots will usually not recognize hypoxia in a single-pilot environment before being too impaired by it to respond correctly, which is why it's a good idea to use oxygen even in marginal situations where you're not legally required to.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

MrChips posted:

The "oh god I can't breathe" trigger isn't the level of O2 in your blood, it's the level of CO2. So unless there's some external indicator that you're not breathing enough oxygen, you can absolutely slip right into unconsciousness and death.

That's how Payne Stewart went. They don't know how fast his plane lost pressure, but:

quote:

If there had been a breach in the fuselage (even a small one that could not be visually detected by the in-flight observers) or a seal failure, the cabin could have depressurized gradually, rapidly, or even explosively. Research has shown that a period of as little as 8 seconds without supplemental oxygen following rapid depressurization to about 30,000 feet (9,100 m) may cause a drop in oxygen saturation that can significantly impair cognitive functioning and increase the amount of time required to complete complex tasks.

A more gradual decompression could have resulted from other possible causes, such as a smaller leak in the pressure vessel or a closed flow control valve. Safety Board testing determined that a closed flow control valve would cause complete depressurization to the airplane's flight altitude over a period of several minutes. However, without supplemental oxygen, substantial adverse effects on cognitive and motor skills would have been expected soon after the first clear indication of decompression (the cabin altitude warning), when the cabin altitude reached 10,000 feet (3,000 m) (which could have occurred in about 30 seconds).

Investigations of other accidents in which flight crews attempted to diagnose a pressurization problem or initiate emergency pressurization instead of immediately donning oxygen masks following a cabin altitude alert have revealed that, even with a relatively gradual rate of depressurization, pilots have rapidly lost cognitive or motor abilities to effectively troubleshoot the problem or don their masks shortly thereafter. In this accident, the flight crew's failure to obtain supplemental oxygen in time to avoid incapacitation could be explained by a delay in donning oxygen masks of only a few seconds in the case of an explosive or rapid decompression or a slightly longer delay in the case of a gradual decompression.

And as another poster mentioned, it is *not* the same thing as holding your breath, because your blood doesn't surrender all its oxygen in one pass. If you hold your breath and your blood keeps cycling, there's enough O2 left in it to keep you functioning for a while. But if the PPO2 in your blood is higher than the PPO2 in the stuff you're inhaling, then your blood will outgas oxygen to the environment. Blood entering the lungs is typically about 40mmHg PPO2, so if the atmosphere where you're at is less than that O2 is going to start leaving your bloodstream at about 25 milliliters per minute per mmHG. When that deoxygenated blood makes its way back around to your brain, it's lights out.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 19, 2017

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

If you notice symptoms, you're already in trouble. And it's not just a risk while flying.

It can kill you at sea level too.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
That's why some people suggest nitrogen asphyxiation as a way of carrying out the death penalty. Just pump the room full of pure nitrogen and you won't notice anything since there's no CO2 buildup to tell your body you're suffocating and you quickly go unconscious and die. Also it's cheap!

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!

MRC48B posted:

If you notice symptoms, you're already in trouble. And it's not just a risk while flying.

It can kill you at sea level too.

That's a solid read, sad too.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

my kinda ape posted:

That's why some people suggest nitrogen asphyxiation as a way of carrying out the death penalty. Just pump the room full of pure nitrogen and you won't notice anything since there's no CO2 buildup to tell your body you're suffocating and you quickly go unconscious and die. Also it's cheap!

It's also an easy way to commit suicide.

Why are you guys looking at me like that?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

EightBit posted:

Banned for posting whilst dead.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

EightBit posted:

There’s a doctor (actually, I think he’s a former doctor now) in Australia, Philip Nitschke, who runs a store that sells nitrogen “brewing equipment” :airquote: in packages that contain all the components necessary to end a life.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I'm pretty sure all you would need to do is buy a bunch of dry ice at the hardware store, pour it on the back seat, shut the windows and go to sleep...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Aeronautical Insanity Mental Illness - How best to fly that "final approach"

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Ola posted:

Aeronautical Insanity Mental Illness - How best to fly that "final approach"

Usually it's CFIT

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fickle poofterist posted:

I'm pretty sure all you would need to do is buy a bunch of dry ice at the hardware store, pour it on the back seat, shut the windows and go to sleep...

You’d wake up and have to fight the urge to get fresh air.

Carbon dioxide pretty much the worst gas you could use, other than actual chemical weapons.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Platystemon posted:

Carbon dioxide pretty much the worst gas you could use, other than actual chemical weapons.
Yeah, this is the precise reason hypoxia is so dangerous. Our bodies are really good at detecting excessive CO2 - in fact it's the build up of CO2 that causes the suffocating feeling. But our lungs don't detect oxygen level at all. As long as the gas you're displacing oxygen with isn't CO2, you'll just get light headed and then pass out.

CO2 will eventually do that too, but first you'll be in excruciating pain.

To tie back to aeronautics, NASA hasn't had a carbon dioxide poisoning death that I know of, but they have lost people due to inert gas asphyxiation.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jan 19, 2017

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Ok then break into the science dept and steal some bottles of liquid nitrogen, and do the same thing

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ok then break into the science dept and steal some bottles of liquid nitrogen, and do the same thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut8mwo7vGBI

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Comrade Gorbash posted:

To tie back to aeronautics, NASA hasn't had a carbon dioxide poisoning death that I know of, but they have lost people due to inert gas asphyxiation.
No joke, that might be the most grammatically hosed up article I've ever seen on Wikipedia.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Whippit, whippit good!

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Aeronautical Insanity: whippits at 50,000 feet.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
High CO2 causes carbon dioxide poisoning, not hypoxia, and even in the presence of plenty of oxygen it'll kill you.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
To reiterate how dangerous nitrogen is:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2000/09/21/nyregion/worker-at-hospital-dies-gas-leak-suspected.html

My wife used to work at a fertility clinic and they used ln2 for embryo storage. One day someone dropped a rack into one of the storage containers which caused a lot of ln2 to slosh out and even more to come out as it went into a roiling boil. They ran the gently caress outta there and closed the rest of the day.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Mods please change thread name to Anaerobic Insanity

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

simplefish posted:

Mods please change thread name to Anaerobic Insanity

The last time I took a breath at 0 feet, I got blown out

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I'm never going above 1000ft, or in an enclosed space ever again

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

blugu64 posted:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.ibti...1?client=safari

There's no escape.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I've gotten some worryingly conflicting info over the years in workplace safety courses about what I should be doing after emptying one of those CO2 fire extinguishers.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

blugu64 posted:

See also:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Nyos

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

aphid_licker posted:

I've gotten some worryingly conflicting info over the years in workplace safety courses about what I should be doing after emptying one of those CO2 fire extinguishers.

putting it down and walking away quickly is my suggestion. I guess bonus compassion-for-your-coworkers points if you put it in a ditch or hole or something similarly under ground level

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Jealous Cow posted:

blugu64 posted:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.ibti...1?client=safari

There's no escape.

Never go above 1000ft, stay on the top of the highest hill in the area.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Saukkis posted:

Never go above 1000ft, stay on the top of the highest hill in the area.

Yeah, on top of a hill, nothing bad can hap

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Find a hill that's well over 1000' agl, and hang out right at the 1000' mark.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Safety Dance posted:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
It really is hosed that you could be seconds from getting killed and not know it, no matter where you go on Earth.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Safety Dance posted:

Sure head for the high ground sounds like a solid plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

With all that said and done, I think the safest place to be is flying in an airplane.