Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Traders with boomalopes are the worst. An unfortunate hunting accident burned both my base and relations with that faction.

Can you really say it was an accident?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I have not played in Jungle biomes for a long time and apparently now Malaria is 100% fatal for low tech dudes. That seems pretty wack.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is there a way to tell my people to not wear dead men's clothing? There appears to be a "only wear dead men's clothing" button for some dumb reason, but I don't see anything that says "please don't wear clothes that will make you feel bad you assholes", am I just missing it?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Zhentar posted:

The impression I've always had is that the insectoids are simply feral, with no masters around to serve (their civilization(s) collapsed, and not necessarily at the hands of either mechanoids or insectoids), rather than having turned against their masters. I don't think that any official lore states either way.

It states somewhere in the game that insectoids where genetically engineered to be dropped on a mechanoid infested world and destroy them without further supervision. Like all of these sorts of things, they went out of control and are now a major threat to everyone.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Eddy-Baby posted:

Doors can easily become walls.

I've never tried it but if I was designing the game I'd have traders that become trapped by walls and then die cause a rep hit. Seems like a pretty easy way to detect this sort of thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Azhais posted:

Is there a way to tell my people to not wear dead men's clothing? There appears to be a "only wear dead men's clothing" button for some dumb reason, but I don't see anything that says "please don't wear clothes that will make you feel bad you assholes", am I just missing it?

There should be an option in outfits to specify not allowing corpse clothing, same as the "allow rotten" tick for stockpiles.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Chalks posted:

I've never tried it but if I was designing the game I'd have traders that become trapped by walls and then die cause a rep hit. Seems like a pretty easy way to detect this sort of thing.

Pretty sure the game was changed back in 14 so that if you trapped traders, they'll just beat their way out.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Flesh Forge posted:

I have not played in Jungle biomes for a long time and apparently now Malaria is 100% fatal for low tech dudes. That seems pretty wack.

Penoxcycline is really low on the research area and instantly gives anyone who contracts disease 61% immunity.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Grinning Goblin posted:

Raiders using boomalope as cover during a firefight sounds pretty great for you.

Until you realize that it is next to a barn you set up and the non-conscripted pacifists decide that they need to run out in the middle of a flaming battlefield to put out fires.

Well you shouldn't let pacifists off the compound grounds in general. I usually have a home zone that includes my defenses for fire protection that they are generally resigned too but also a secondary zone that ends at the base wall that I flip them to when a fight starts.

Also there is a mod that let's you place trader spots similar to marriage spots inside your base so they'll go through the front door and away from the fight and chill where they won't do damage.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Teikanmi posted:

Penoxcycline is really low on the research area and instantly gives anyone who contracts disease 61% immunity.

Not all disease! But it does do it for malaria, yes. I think you can actually administer it after contracting malaria, but I'm not sure. It's cheap enough to produce once you have an economy going and you only need to take a pill every 5 days so it's not a major drain to just keep everyone on it at all times though.

I have multiple pawns with chemical fascination and boy is it a pain. Having drugs around is drat useful for when you really need something done, but now I have a bunch of addicts and I keep needing to replace kidneys. Regular pawns getting addicted is fine since I can just eat the productivity and mood hit until they get clean, but ones with chemical fascination just go on binges even if their mood is good. And overdose constantly.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Life is great!

*chugs 2 bottles of go juice*

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Azhais posted:

Honestly I would just use the mod that eliminates the dead man's clothing tag.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Well, after 5 years and recruiting way too many people, my game is now lagging too much to play effectively, so it's time to restart. Pity, liked this base.

Started off somewhat humble

And grew

And grew

And grew even more

Ok, getting out of hand now

And this is where I ended it, in the middle of a massive hydroponics refit

Lost 4 people all together. One lost to mechs, one lost to a loving hungry wolf, one executed after she went nuts and starting slicing up the dogs (she went into the furnace) and one offered sanctuary but was shot and kidnapped before he could get to safety (later got a mood penalty from his relative in my colony, so I guess they offed him). But defensively, the gun complexes from the vanilla turrets mod are maybe a bit too effective. Certainly had no trouble fending off raids with them.

Time for a new biome, with a self-imposed rule of only recruiting spacers to keep the numbers below the lag line. Non-pirates get released, pirates get beaten to death where they lie.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Man I cannot bring myself to strip mine, it looks so loving bad. I'd rather use ground penetrating scanners and buy whatever I need from traders.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Speaking of scanners, are there any mods that increase the mining radius of deep miners? Even a 5x5 would be a huge improvement over 3x3.

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011

Devdisigdu posted:

Since I didn't see anyone answer this: I'm using the mods and it's perfectly viable to keep animals. I'm 3+ years into my current colony and have had no issues with pets going mad.

Do you happen to be butchering up Deep Ones, Mi-Go or the like? Their meat causes sanity loss, which for pets is pretty much a one way trip to berserker rage.

If you're going to have strange meat in your base, don't leave it anywhere an animal can get to it. I personally use it for Chemfuel production, with a separate storage area and butchering table.

Well.

Thanks, I've been feeding them exclusively strange kibble because I didn't know what else to do with all the strange meat in my freezer. No more strange kibble.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Teikanmi posted:

I didn't have it researched but I spawned a couple of those to see how they worked and taking one added a medical effect, but it didn't affect the disease or immunity at all, does it not help after infection?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It bumps your immunity up to 61%, but it doesn't do anything if it's already higher than 61%. Also it only works on the three listed diseases.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Carcer posted:

It states somewhere in the game that insectoids where genetically engineered to be dropped on a mechanoid infested world and destroy them without further supervision. Like all of these sorts of things, they went out of control and are now a major threat to everyone.

The actual descriptions:

Megascarab posted:

A large, genetically-engineered beetle. Once the worker caste of an artifical ecosystem of insectoids designed to fight mechanoid invasions, it is now usually seen without its deadlier insectoid cousins.

Megaspider posted:

Not actually a spider, the megaspider is a genetically-engineered giant insectoid the size of a bear. Designed for heavy work and combat, its thick chitinous armor makes it hard to kill, while its long deadly ripper-blades make it deadly.

That they were genetically engineered for combat is without question; but why they are hostile to your pawns is never stated.

Slime posted:

Not all disease! But it does do it for malaria, yes. I think you can actually administer it after contracting malaria, but I'm not sure. It's cheap enough to produce once you have an economy going and you only need to take a pill every 5 days so it's not a major drain to just keep everyone on it at all times though.

Flesh Forge posted:

I didn't have it researched but I spawned a couple of those to see how they worked and taking one added a medical effect, but it didn't affect the disease or immunity at all, does it not help after infection?

Penoxycycline immediately sets the pawns immunity to the diseases it affects to 61% (if it is currently lower than 61%), regardless of whether or not they are currently infected. Immunity slowly decays over time after that, dropping 2% per day for plague & sleeping sickness and 3% per day for malaria. This means that you can take Penoxycycline less frequently than every 5 days; even every 25 days you're guaranteed to get at least a 2% immunity boost and very likely much more. When malaria is revealed, a healthy <40y.o. pawn will have already developed between 55%-58% immunity, so it gives a pretty small boost immunity taken reactively (plague & sleeping sickness on the other hand get revealed around 30% immunity, so there's an enormous benefit to taking it reactively). But even a small 3% boost to malaria immunity shouldn't be underestimated; the diseases are designed to be real close calls, so even a small boost makes a huge difference in how well you need to roll on your tends, to the point that for <40y.o. even 0 skill no medicine tends are good enough to effectively guarantee survival.

Zhentar fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 20, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

But you aren't shown the infection progress until after 63% (unless you cheat) so ... basically if anyone gets malaria early in the game those colonists are almost certainly doomed. Guess I need to start with a cheesier doctor colonist because Medicine: 6 was not enough even with constant micromanagement. It's neat that the disease is perfectly made to trash your whole autosave history, sort of a stealth iron man mode.
e: this happened late in the first season, and I don't think I could possibly have had a drug lab unlocked, built and batches of this stuff produced at that point even if I had ignored stonecutting and any defense research.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Malaria is especially nasty because it reduces the pawn's Blood Filtration stat, which in turn reduces their immunity gain speed. It's pretty important to keep your pawns in bed all the time - resting in a bed gives you +10% to your immunity gain speed. Set their work priorities to be Patient at level 1, take everything to the left of that to 2 or worse) Set their schedule to be 100% sleep, sometimes even sick pawns pawns get out of bed during scheduled Joy times. If you don't have a TV in your hospital their joy will hit 0, so if you can, make your hospital to be Spacious and pretty with plant pots so hopefully you get enough positive mood bits to prevent a mental break. If someone gets a mental break and starts wandering they'll spend so much time out of bed they'll probably die.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
You can also just click "Rest until healed" on a medical bed... Other colonists will go in and talk to them if their mood gets too low from joy.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

But you aren't shown the infection progress until after 63% (unless you cheat) so ... basically if anyone gets malaria early in the game those colonists are almost certainly doomed. Guess I need to start with a cheesier doctor colonist because Medicine: 6 was not enough even with constant micromanagement. It's neat that the disease is perfectly made to trash your whole autosave history, sort of a stealth iron man mode.
e: this happened late in the first season, and I don't think I could possibly have had a drug lab unlocked, built and batches of this stuff produced at that point even if I had ignored stonecutting and any defense research.

According to the wiki on Malaria, you need at least a level 7 doc with herbal medicine for someone to survive malaria

http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Malaria

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Honestly I would just use the mod that eliminates the dead man's clothing tag.

Yeah, I don't like it at all. Presumably it's a balance thing but the whole idea of "I killed this evil raider and took his awesome armour and now I feel sad about it" is really weird.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Chalks posted:

Yeah, I don't like it at all. Presumably it's a balance thing but the whole idea of "I killed this evil raider and took his awesome armour and now I feel sad about it" is really weird.

I think it's more "I killed this raider and he died in this armour and now it smells like poo poo and I I keep picking bits of organ out of the respirator, that's gross"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chalks posted:

I don't even care about the awesome armor I can't use, just that the only checkbox in my outfit editor is "allow non-deadman's clothing" and unchecking it results in people stripping everything that isn't corpse clothes.

I'll just edit my outfit to only permit armor vests, tshirts, dusters, cowboy hats, and pants with >80% durability I guess. Should eliminate most raider gear

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I'm not sure what exploit it's intended to balance. Raider clothes were already bad craftsmanship and heavily damaged. They sell for like 1-10 bucks.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

cinci zoo sniper posted:

A Swedish doctor who gained notoriety for using a controversial 'anal massage' technique to cure ailments and had his licence revoked could soon be back in action, after Stockholm's administrative court (förvaltningsrätt) ruled that the withdrawal of his permit should not stand.

The doctor, who has worked in Sweden, Denmark and Norway, lost his Danish licence in 2015 after piercing a patient's lung while attempting to give them an anaesthetic injection near the chest.

Sweden's Medical Board of Responsibility (HSAN) then followed suit earlier this year, revoking his Swedish licence with immediate effect based on a clause in the Patient Safety Act.

The doctor appealed the decision to Stockholm Administrative Court however, arguing that the clause used to justify taking his licence was not applicable, and the court has now deemed him to be correct. An amendment to the act in question meant that the HSAN decision was deemed invalid by the court based on a technicality, newspaper Dagens Nyheter reports.

The HSAN could yet move forward however and insist on revoking his licence by doing so based on a different clause which the court had mentioned in its judgement.

This is not the first appeal the practitioner, nicknamed ‘Doctor anal' by the Danish press, has won.

He has been warned several times by the HSAN and equivalent authorities in Denmark and Norway over the years, three of which came in Sweden in 2003 after he treated an elderly patient's head and body aches with an anal massage.

The doctor said he had performed 600-1,000 such treatments yielding “very good results”, but Sweden's HSAN insisted the treatment was “dubious for a number of reasons”.

In 2008 he successfully appealed the Swedish warnings to Stockholm County Court however, which said at the time that the HSAN had not been able to prove claims his treatments contradicted “scientific, tried and tested experience”.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

I'm not sure what exploit it's intended to balance. Raider clothes were already bad craftsmanship and heavily damaged. They sell for like 1-10 bucks.

Yeah, raids aren't exactly a fantastic source of cash even when you could make some money selling the clothes. You'd think these colonists would be hardened to wearing a dead man's clothes considering that most of my fighters have killed a ton of people each.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's definitely a stupid change. Raids should be a risk vs. reward, and some lovely clothing or armor isn't exactly having a huge impact on the game. I would have rather he made it so that raider clothes are more easily destroyed or damaged, leaving you the ability to keep something decent from time to time.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

MadJackMcJack posted:

According to the wiki on Malaria, you need at least a level 7 doc with herbal medicine for someone to survive malaria

http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Malaria

I'm starting to think of taking two pawns with prepare carefully with high medicine and growth skills because I've noticed these are two very important skills early on and you can't have your doctor treat himself.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
Dug into a rock face and some robot monster shot all me blokes dead, strewth. Game owns.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

OwlFancier posted:

I think it's more "I killed this raider and he died in this armour and now it smells like poo poo and I I keep picking bits of organ out of the respirator, that's gross"

You would think they'd be able to rinse the stupid thing out.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You would think they'd be able to rinse the stupid thing out.

The faucets and sinks don't get installed until Tuesday.

Bear in the Woods
Jun 1, 2013
I found that if you strip someone before they die (I have a mod that reduces the chance to outright kill someone, so quite frequently), the clothes won't count as belonging to a dead person.

Seems like a loophole but welp.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Not sure about you guys, but I'm feeling kinda under the weather. I'm gonna go get that anal treatment. My insurance covers it!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bear in the Woods posted:

I found that if you strip someone before they die (I have a mod that reduces the chance to outright kill someone, so quite frequently), the clothes won't count as belonging to a dead person.

Seems like a loophole but welp.

Well, the "D" indicator is specifically that it was on a corpse

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Slung Blade posted:

The faucets and sinks don't get installed until Tuesday.

Just use the deflector dish to simulate a faucet.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
well I heard that people poo poo themselves apon death. do you really want to wear poo filled pants? :shrek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Only if they had to poo poo already. But they do start to leak flavourful juices our of various orifices after a couple hours.

Also any quick fix for the hauling pathfinding being busted and pawns stuck in Standing while performance takes a poo poo?