Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I remember somebody posting something to the effect of "artillery aren't useful in combat until a certain miltech". When was that breakpoint again?

A bit late but tech 13 is usually when I start mixing them in, there's a tech boost to artillery fire at that level and the new unit type popping up is a nice reminder if you're just smacking techs without paying attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Chin Strap posted:

Thanks, I have a bit more time than I thought it seems. Thinking I can leave exploration for second idea group and take religious first for CB.
I think I went Exploration first and colonized Mahe => Mautirius => something in northwestern South Africa => Cape. Then I filled the Cape out. With Madagascar being populated by actual countries, now, you can take Mahe and fabricate a claim to conquer some of it to give you a closer jumping off point to get to the Cape.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Chin Strap posted:

So I keep trying to make Ethiopia work, but in the 3 attempts I've done, Mamluks dominate me every time, resetting decades of work. I go into major debt to get comparable armies, but it just isn't enough and I don't have the time to recover.

What do I do? How do I get them to stay away?

It helps to not share a border with them until you're ready to face them. You'll get missions to take provinces that would give you such a border, but just don't take those.

Feel free to beat up on the guys north of you and take some of their land and all of their ducats, just don't take so much that you wind up sharing a border with Mamluks

Chin Strap posted:

How quickly do I need to get down to the cape in order to beat spain/portugal?

It varies a lot but you should have plenty of time to lock it down. Take Exploration as your first idea and focus on getting down there and you will definitely make it before the Europeans do. Easiest way is to take some coastal provinces from Adal early, in order to build some ships, and then start island hopping toward Zimbabwe. More aggressive way is to push hard toward the south

Chin Strap posted:

Thanks, I have a bit more time than I thought it seems. Thinking I can leave exploration for second idea group and take religious first for CB.

The CB is normally very nice, but it's a little less useful in an early Ethiopia game just because there's no point in making friends with anyone around you so you may as well be fabricating constantly. But you can likely still take the cape anyway by just pushing south into Kilwa in order to boost your colonial range a bit

^^^ I did the Mahe to Madagascar route as well, it's really effective and the islands that you're colonizing have pretty good development and no natives! It's pretty great

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So I've started colonizing in my imported CK2 Welsh north sea empire game. Just got rolling in Canada in the 1480s, it does not appear that anyone else has reached the New World yet. Do I need to keep the colonist in that colony while it's developing or can I pull him out to get more colonies running. Trying to beat those Iberian fucks to as much of the lucrative poo poo in North America as I can and that means hop skotching my way down towards the Carribean from what I understand.

Trying to ALSO futz around in Africa is probably chasing too many rabbits.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

So I've started colonizing in my imported CK2 Welsh north sea empire game. Just got rolling in Canada in the 1480s, it does not appear that anyone else has reached the New World yet. Do I need to keep the colonist in that colony while it's developing or can I pull him out to get more colonies running. Trying to beat those Iberian fucks to as much of the lucrative poo poo in North America as I can and that means hop skotching my way down towards the Carribean from what I understand.

You can take the colonist out, but you'll lose the settler increase modifier and you'll get get a slow drip. The other thing is that it gets quite expensive to be colonizing above your colonist limit. I don't know the formula off -hand, but I remember paying like 20+ ducats for having 3-4 extra colonies. But yeah, strategic use of that can allow you to expand more quickly. If you have the money then may as well.

Lock down the ivory coast if you can, and colonize Caribbean/East Coast America/Canada.

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 18, 2017

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Having multiple colonies (not colonists) going gets more and more expensive so you can do that but it more than doubles the cost.

E:fb

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

You can, but each colony over your colonist limit gets (exponentially?) more expensive -
Colony over cap: Cost multiplier for that colony:
1st 2x
2nd 5x
3rd 10x
4th 17x

e: thats what I get for looking up the numbers :<

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Tsyni posted:

You can take the colonist out, but you'll lose the settler increase modifier and you'll get get a slow drip. The other thing is that it gets quite expensive to be colonizing above your colonist limit. I don't know the formula off -hand, but I remember paying like 20+ ducats for having 3-4 extra colonies. But yeah, strategic use of that can allow you to expand more quickly. If you have the money then may as well.

Lock down the ivory coast if you can, and colonize Caribbean/West Coast America/Canada.

Did you mean east coast America?

Believe me I'm lusting for that Ivory Coast dominance but right now I'm unsure how to effectively GET there from my perch here in merry old England Prydain. Colonial range is a hell of a thing.

Edit: Are Trading Companies worth faffing about with

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 18, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

awesmoe posted:

You can, but each colony over your colonist limit gets (exponentially?) more expensive -
Colony over cap: Cost multiplier for that colony:
1st 2x
2nd 5x
3rd 10x
4th 17x

e: thats what I get for looking up the numbers :<
Is this really what it is? I thought it was 2.0 ducats per colony per colonist (thus 1 colony with 1 colonist is 2.0; 4 colonies with 4 colonists is 8.0) and each colony after that the price doubles, so 3 colonies with 2 colonists was 8.0 (2.0 + 2.0 + 4.0 for the extra colony), then if you added a 4th colony it would be 8.0 for that colony plus the 8 you are already paying, and 16.0 for the 5th plus the 16 you are already paying, and so on.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Did you mean east coas5 America?

Believe me I'm lusting for that Ivory Coast dominance but right now I'm unsure how to effectively GET there from my perch here in merry old England Prydain. Colonial range is a hell of a thing.

Haha, yes! Oops. Just slowly leap-frog.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Is this really what it is? I thought it was 2.0 ducats per colony per colonist (thus 1 colony with 1 colonist is 2.0; 4 colonies with 4 colonists is 8.0) and each colony after that the price doubles, so 3 colonies with 2 colonists was 8.0 (2.0 + 2.0 + 4.0 for the extra colony), then if you added a 4th colony it would be 8.0, and 16.0 for the 5th.

im just quotin the wiki, my dude. My feeling is that it's so easy to test that the wiki numbers wouldn't be wrong.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the tool tip for the colonial maintenance upkeep says it's quadratic

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

awesmoe posted:

im just quotin the wiki, my dude. My feeling is that it's so easy to test that the wiki numbers wouldn't be wrong.
Huh, I guess I need to check out the wiki more often.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It is quadratic.

The first colony over the limit is +100% cost (so 2x). The second is +400% (5x), then +900%, +1600%, +2500%...

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

What? You didn't grab the Canaries in CKII to prep for EUIV? :lol:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Chin Strap posted:

I'd advise against that pretty heavily. The CB saves you AE and Diplomat time, neither of which are especially scarce as Ethiopia. And if you're conquering so much that the AE does become a concern at the beginning, then you'll be starved to heck for admin points.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

dang good dynasties... and hot !!

too bad about the hapsburgs. oh hmm

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I've picked up my Consulate of the Sea run and I'm starting to get concerned about Castile colonising in Africa and them getting over the 37 provinces that'll stop me from forming Spain diplomatically. Will forming Spain now prevent me from getting the achievement or is starting as Aragon enough? Incidentally, it's 1524 and colonialism still hasn't spawned, I guess that's the problem with vassalising one of the major colonisers and annexing the other.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Baron Corbyn posted:

I've picked up my Consulate of the Sea run and I'm starting to get concerned about Castile colonising in Africa and them getting over the 37 provinces that'll stop me from forming Spain diplomatically. Will forming Spain now prevent me from getting the achievement or is starting as Aragon enough? Incidentally, it's 1524 and colonialism still hasn't spawned, I guess that's the problem with vassalising one of the major colonisers and annexing the other.

Yes you can still get it if you form Spain, according to the wiki.

http://www.eu4wiki.com/Achievements

If you look under the requirements column you'll notice some achievements have "playing as x" listed. For those you need to be a specific nation for the achievement. The starting conditions column is self-explanatory.

I had colonialism wait 40 something years one time and I wasn't even messing with the colonisers. Was weird.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So I'm messing about in the new world with a custom nation for that achievement. Castile shows up at about the usual time (and then turns into Spain), so I decide to take a look at Europe to see if I can get some allies to keep him busy while I beat up on his colonial nations.

Spain has a PU over France :gonk:

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I loving love border gore! :shepicide:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

What? You didn't grab the Canaries in CKII to prep for EUIV? :lol:

Alas, no. That'd have been pretty good though in retrospect! :v:

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Jabor posted:

So I'm messing about in the new world with a custom nation for that achievement. Castile shows up at about the usual time (and then turns into Spain), so I decide to take a look at Europe to see if I can get some allies to keep him busy while I beat up on his colonial nations.

Spain has a PU over France :gonk:

I played a game as Mali and had the same thing happen to me, but it wasn't as scary as I thought. You just have to be proactive in meeting their naval invasions on the beach.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Can someone explain to me when it is correct to add things to trade companies versus keeping them as states? My last game as Castille I added everything I could to trade companies but I'm guessing there is a better rule of thumb.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Senor Dog posted:

I'd advise against that pretty heavily. The CB saves you AE and Diplomat time, neither of which are especially scarce as Ethiopia. And if you're conquering so much that the AE does become a concern at the beginning, then you'll be starved to heck for admin points.

So Exploration -> Defensive -> Administrative(?) (or maybe Economic to deal with all my inflation crap given how much gold provinces I will be relying on?) sounds like a good plan in that case.

Chin Strap fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 19, 2017

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Chin Strap posted:

Can someone explain to me when it is correct to add things to trade companies versus keeping them as states? My last game as Castille I added everything I could to trade companies but I'm guessing there is a better rule of thumb.

Honestly assigning everything you can to its trade company is fine. Forgoing the extra merchant is a huge sacrifice versus merely getting full tax & production, especially considering how poor much of that land is, and the fact you can reach the state limit in the far richer lands of Europe.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Allyn posted:

Honestly assigning everything you can to its trade company is fine. Forgoing the extra merchant is a huge sacrifice versus merely getting full tax & production, especially considering how poor much of that land is, and the fact you can reach the state limit in the far richer lands of Europe.

If I get the extra merchant without having to add everything to a trade company, I'm guessing highest priority to remove from trade company would be the provinces with provincial trade modifiers?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
No, the trade company gives a good trade power bonus iirc.

You would probably just select the provinces that are high development.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Chin Strap posted:

Bear in mind state maintenance goes up the further you get from your capital, so creating states overseas is usually a bad idea.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

history question: what were the genoese doing in the Krim in the 15th century?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

probably merchant stuff

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

double nine posted:

Trading with the mongols.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
and the poor, poor lonely goths

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

double nine posted:

Venice originally took it from Byzantium during the 4th crusade, Byzantium later cut a deal with Genoa to help oust the treacherous Venetians in return for some of the plum Eastern ports like Kaffa and Chios (which really should be a +trade province)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

My Naples run is going extremely well, except for the fact that France is scarier than ever. They are my ally and they were incredibly helpful in beating down Spain to reclaim the mediterranean islands and a fuckton of money, but they grabbed a bunch of Spanish provinces including Castilla la Vieja and they are colonizing like madmen, they own almost all of Brazil's coastline.

I might be insane and decided to grab Explo as my 4th idea set just for fun, I have colonized the Amazon river and made a CN there to block off Brazilian France CN from the northern part, now I am building up to colonial Colombia which I shall name "Cokelombia". With Spain too busy fighting off the Frenchies, they only have CN Florida and Ivory coast / guinea instead of EVERYTHING as in most games, while Portugal focused on Caribbean and Caribbean only, so there's a lot of space for me - and loving Norway - to grab Canada, Colombia, Mexico and La Plata (if France doesn't get there first...) and I might try for the "province in every continent" achievement too by stealing some Asian and African land from some backwater minor there.

Also I did a dumb thing: I turned protestant ASAP (sadly my reformation center got toasted by a random event that flipped it back to catholic but luckily it happened in 1640 so it would've gon away in a decade or so anyways), but I didn't realize that it would allow me to avoid the "conquered Rome" malus so I left it for last while I could easily have grabbed it 50 years ago. Oh well, that'll be a ton of points to core, but Italian Ambition is 100% guaranteed now, I only need to scrounge up 400 spare admin points or so. Also the Pope is now allied to Austria which I need to beat down anyways to connect all the Neapolitan Balkans (I have the entirety of Bosnia, Croatia, Albania and Serbia) to my homeland, the Commonwealth owes me a ton of favors due to me helping in their hopeless war against Russia.

France please don't turn on me, pleeeease

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 19, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TorakFade posted:

France please don't turn on me, pleeeease
Keep relations up, convert favors to trust, maintain mutual rivals, and dont share a border with them.

In my current Spain game I have the Ottomans at 80 trust. We are #1 and #2 World Powers, respectively.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Keep relations up, convert favors to trust, maintain mutual rivals, and dont share a border with them.

In my current Spain game I have the Ottomans at 80 trust. We are #1 and #2 World Powers, respectively.

I let savoy live for the sole purpose of being a buffer state between me and the BBB, and we both rival Austria. Sadly they rival the Commonwealth too which is like my best friend and so useful with its 120k army (I have 77, france about 90 but of course super soldiers)

Also the Ottomans hate me while they're neutral to france and that could be a problem

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Is there any way to remove a Center of Reformation from a subject? I have a PU over Bohemia and they have a CoR in Ratibor (iirc). I've enforced Catholicism through subject interactions, but I have a feeling all their provinces being Protestant is probably screwing with their ability to contribute to my wars, although the CoR isn't causing me (Austria) too many issues (I am amused by Protestant Bosnia, though). Ratibor is the only remaining Protestant CoR; I killed Altmark the easy way and Utrecht the hard way. I think I've taken out two Reformed CoRs as well, so my Reformation is going pretty well.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

Is there any way to remove a Center of Reformation from a subject? I have a PU over Bohemia and they have a CoR in Ratibor (iirc). I've enforced Catholicism through subject interactions, but I have a feeling all their provinces being Protestant is probably screwing with their ability to contribute to my wars, although the CoR isn't causing me (Austria) too many issues (I am amused by Protestant Bosnia, though). Ratibor is the only remaining Protestant CoR; I killed Altmark the easy way and Utrecht the hard way. I think I've taken out two Reformed CoRs as well, so my Reformation is going pretty well.

You have to convert the province that is the actual CoR to Catholic for it to stop. Or wait till 1650 and it stops on it's own. Those are the only ways that I know of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

double nine posted:

Trading with the Mongols is the right answer. Following the Mongol conquests, trade ports on the sea of Azov became a prime entry point to Europe for goods moving east from Asia. Kaffa was perhaps the largest slave trading port in Europe (Mongols would bring captured Christians here to sell), and it's believed that Bubonic Plague reached Europe on ships leaving Kaffa, after Mongol besiegers catapulted infected corpses into the city.

• Locked thread