Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

ImpAtom posted:

And failed miserably. In fact somehow dedicating himself entirely to his training AND having all his friends and family murdered in front of him meant he was weaker than 12 year old Gohan was.

Honestly I never quite got why Future Gohan wasn't a frigging god. 7 years of nonstop training and tons of trauma and motivation really should have at least made him Android level, especially when you consider Future 17/18 were supposed to be weaker than main timeline version.

I think the assumption was the future androids were much much more powerful. That, and Future Gohan lost one of his arms in a fight too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

He won't be a Yamcha, since there are plenty of weaker fighters on the team.

Yamcha was only stronger than Chaotszu when he got kaboomed.

he will be if his role is to set someone else up later in the tournament. that's literally yamcha's role in dragon ball. yamcha

loses to jackie chun in the quarter finals
loses to tien in the quarter finals
loses to kami in the quarter finals

like that's his entire thing

seiferguy posted:

I think the assumption was the future androids were much much more powerful. That, and Future Gohan lost one of his arms in a fight too.

trunks literally says that the androids from his time were weaker than present day 17 and 18

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

seiferguy posted:

I think trunks said that the androids from the main universe were more powerful than the ones he fought in the future.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

ImpAtom posted:

And failed miserably. In fact somehow dedicating himself entirely to his training AND having all his friends and family murdered in front of him meant he was weaker than 12 year old Gohan was.

Honestly I never quite got why Future Gohan wasn't a frigging god. 7 years of nonstop training and tons of trauma and motivation really should have at least made him Android level, especially when you consider Future 17/18 were supposed to be weaker than main timeline version.

The series has always kinda pushed training by yourself not doing a whole lot. Gohan didn't have anyone to help him train, and then he had to go and help Trunks in his timeline, wheras in the main one Goku was still around. Sure it's kinda silly, but Dragonball really likes its mentor characters.

Also, him having such a tragic end is kinda why I think it's interesting how different present Gohan's life is. He gets to have a nice family in this timeline instead of struggling in a hopeless fight.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Gohan will probably lose his poo poo and get super strong this arc, it owns

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Manatee Cannon posted:

trunks literally says that the androids from his time were weaker than present day 17 and 18

Oh, right, he did. Maybe Gohan needed to visit King Kai or something, cause I can't quite figure out that one then.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Gohan trained for like 5 years straight with Goku. The timeskip between Goku arrival and Android arrival was non stop training and then he spent another year in the time chamber.

Future Gohan by comparison probably only read books after Goku came back.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
My only problem with Gohan's post Buu characterization is how little he seems to have been effected by that arc. Considering the whole planet died under what was essentially his watch because he stopped training at all. I mean, he had to do the dumb ritual with Old Kai to rectify this exact problem, but then again that was from when Gohan was still the main character of the Buu arc right up until he wasn't.

Then again, he still had his ultimate transformation whenever beerus first turned up, so his downgrade is relatively more recent timeline wise.

What I'm saying is Super's timeline as well as Gohan's power is really wonky and dumb, but really both Videl and his characters in super make a whole lot of sense when you realize they both had basically the same upbringing that they both didn't really get a choice in: Mr Satan's false image of the world's Savior and Goku actually being that many times over. Come Super, both have been released from that obligation more or less, with Videl knowing the truth of her father's lie/ just how out of her league she is and with Goku coming back to life and apparently intent on doing his thing for the foreseeable future. Them basically going "well gently caress it, were just going to have a happy normal life with our kid and green dad" really makes the most sense.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
gohan's "power level" is entirely a matter of narrative convenience, as with all characters

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Frieza's power level is 530,000.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

projecthalaxy posted:

Frieza's power level is 530,000.
Luckily Super Saiyajin Son Goku had a power level of 530,001 so he wiped the floor with him.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
But Broly's power level is maximum.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

if Broly's power level is maximum, who's power level is minimum?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Kelp Plankton posted:

The Farmer.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Oolong

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Can you have a negative Power Level?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Maybe Devilman when using his beam on Goku?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kelp Plankton posted:

The blind kid that Buu tricked into cannibalism

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

He's just so boring as a fighter.

He basically becomes Goku.

We don't need another one.

He's smart as gently caress, why not make him the guy that does technique fake-outs?

Something like he bluffs a charging Kamehameha, then just punches the guy in the face with a fist full of energy.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Gohan should have needed math that Chi-chi forced him to learn in order to defeat Cell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

He's smart as gently caress, why not make him the guy that does technique fake-outs?

Something like he bluffs a charging Kamehameha, then just punches the guy in the face with a fist full of energy.

Because that is Goku. Goku is pretty smart when it comes to techniques. Remember him tricking Frieza with the frozen underwater Kamehameha or doing the warp blast on Cell or whatnot?

Gohan has never been the smart fighter. He's been the dude who is powerful as poo poo and gets by entirely on that. Goku is the guy who is clever and tricky.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

all this talk about gohan and nobody spares a thought for the rad Tracksuit Androids :(

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

frankly them getting to do anything at all is such a massive step up that I have nothing to say beyond "hey cool 17 and 18 get to do something"

gohan could still go either way. it's not like he hasn't been built up into massive disappointment before

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I wish Gohan had a purple gi with some orange in it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ImpAtom posted:

Future Gohan was stronger than 17 & 18 individually. He just couldn't handle both of them together.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

sassassin posted:

Future Gohan was stronger than 17 & 18 individually. He just couldn't handle both of them together.

okay lets power level chat

Given that those androids were weaker than the ones in the main timeline and Piccolo was around even with/maybe slightly stronger than main 17 that means Future Gohan and Kamiccolo should be fairly close in power.

In super saiyan terms that probably means he was stronger than Goku and Vegeta before they went into the time chamber for the first time but not as strong as their post-time-chamber exit where they had done the whole surpassing a super saiyan thing.

Bushmaori fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jan 19, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bushmaori posted:

okay lets power level chat

Given that those androids were weaker than the ones in the main timeline and Piccolo was around even with/maybe slightly stronger than main 17 that means Future Gohan and Kamiccolo should be fairly close in power.

In super saiyan terms that probably means he was stronger than Goku and Vegeta before they went into the time chamber for the first time but not as strong as their post-time-chamber exit where they had done the whole surpassing a super saiyan thing.

no, trunks could also fight them individually but was overwhelmed by their combination; he even says as much. all of the super saiyans were about on par with one another before the time chamber and kamiccolo was way stronger than any of them

tho the only real points of comparison for the saiyans are via trunks (ie, he easily kills freeza and claims goku could have done the same, he also is as easily dispatched by 17 and 18 as vegeta, and has the same amount of trouble as future gohan against the androids from his timeline)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Basically goku was a dick for not telling gohan about the time chamber which would solve everything

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

sassassin posted:

Anime only. In the manga 17 tells Govan he wasn't even fighting at half strength when the last time they tussled and it immediately smash cuts to Trunks waking up and finding Gohan dead.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Pureauthor posted:

Anime only. In the manga 17 tells Govan he wasn't even fighting at half strength when the last time they tussled and it immediately smash cuts to Trunks waking up and finding Gohan dead.

People say that sort of thing all the time, it's usually bluster.

"These saibamen are all as strong as Raditz"
"Namek will explode in 5 minutes"
"Krillin and Goku are best friends"

Toryama prefers the anime Trunks timeline anyway.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

no, trunks could also fight them individually but was overwhelmed by their combination; he even says as much

Where does he say this? I guess I missed it.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Bushmaori posted:

Before Gohan goes off to fight the androids the last time, he says to Trunks that he wishes he were as strong as his dad had been (and remember, this Goku didn't train in preperation for the android fight). Could just be a figure of speech though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Gohan's failures include accurately estimating how strong his dad is.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Kelp Plankton posted:

This was actually explained in DBZ when Bulma snagged Radditz's scouter: It's Turtle, who has a power level of .001. For reference, a regular non human has a power level of 5.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bushmaori posted:

Where does he say this? I guess I missed it.

when they show up and kick everyone's rear end he mentions that that he could take them together in the future but the present versions were more powerful

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

seiferguy posted:

This was actually explained in DBZ when Bulma snagged Radditz's scouter: It's Turtle, who has a power level of .001. For reference, a regular non human has a power level of 5.

and yet he survived the androids and all the other bullshit that happened to the Trunksverse until Zamasu showed up.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I can't believe Commander Red is gonna be our President tomorrow.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

I can't believe Commander Red is gonna be our President tomorrow.

His first order as Commander-in-Chief will be to collect the Dragon Balls so he can wish for bigger hands.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

I hope Goku comes back from other world to kick his rear end and legalize weed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/LifeAsADabber/status/762705230148407296

• Locked thread