Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

limp_cheese posted:

Fake Edit: On a completely unrelated note does anybody know what the "Fun Shoe" thing in my avatar means? It just appeared one day.

Tag from one of the forums fundraisers for new servers, dependent on how much you donated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

limp_cheese posted:

If you have an artifact and it doesn't say "Take this to Gunther in the museum" in the description go ahead and sell it.

Fake Edit: On a completely unrelated note does anybody know what the "Fun Shoe" thing in my avatar means? It just appeared one day.

Except Marble and the Prismatic Shard.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
What's marble for?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

54 40 or gently caress posted:

What's marble for?

The marble brazier which is pretty sweet looking.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
That reminds me that one time Robin mentioned offhand that she'd had a small house fire, and I got paranoid for a while that lighting my house with torches might result in a randomly generated 'your entire poo poo is burned down' event.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
The argument between Robin and Demetrius has no good outcome because the correct answer is a tomato is both a fruit and a vegetable. Saying it can't be both is like saying it can't be red and round and the same time.

It's no more special than peppers, cucumbers, green beans and I'm sure plenty others.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

BrainMeats posted:

The argument between Robin and Demetrius has no good outcome because the correct answer is a tomato is both a fruit and a vegetable. Saying it can't be both is like saying it can't be red and round and the same time.

It's no more special than peppers, cucumbers, green beans and I'm sure plenty others.

No, that argument has a very clear winner, and it's Robin. She told him to go into town and buy fruit, and he came back with loving tomatoes. Their classification doesn't matter. If someone tells you to go get some fruit and you go get tomatoes, you are a doofus.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

oldskool posted:

Tag from one of the forums fundraisers for new servers, dependent on how much you donated.

Thanks for the answer.

I think I have to start saving marble now. Didn't know about the brazier.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Skippy McPants posted:

No, that argument has a very clear winner, and it's Robin. She told him to go into town and buy fruit, and he came back with loving tomatoes. Their classification doesn't matter. If someone tells you to go get some fruit and you go get tomatoes, you are a doofus.

Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting tomatoes in a fruit salad

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting tomatoes in a fruit salad

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The same way tomatoes are fruit is the same way that salsa is a fruit salad thoo

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Skippy McPants posted:

What bothers me about that whole thing is if you take Robin's side-- because it's clear what she meant to anyone who isn't a pedantic autist-- he gets all salty and makes a remark about how he's surprised "a farmer like yourself didn't know the difference."

Uggh. So mad. Jesus what is wrong with that guy?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

mrmcd posted:

He also freaks out and bursts in on you when he think's you're making a move on his daughter. I don't know if he's as bad as Pierre, but dude is definitely unchill.

Kent is the only half-way cool dad in town.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The Wizard is pretty rad. :smug:

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Epic High Five posted:

The same way tomatoes are fruit is the same way that salsa is a fruit salad thoo

Yeah, okay, Demetrius

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Skippy McPants posted:

He also freaks out and bursts in on you when he think's you're making a move on his daughter. I don't know if he's as bad as Pierre, but dude is definitely unchill.

Which is extra funny because (spoilers I guess) Maru's 10 heart event is the only one among the ladies that doesn't involve, uh, moves being made.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
275 beehives. Is that enough? I don't think that's enough. There are still spots to fit beehives.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Have you tried building them outside the farm? I know they still produce honey if placed at the bus stop screen, and coversely probably produce anywhere else you can put them...

Which makes me wonder if you can build them in town...

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Which is extra funny because (spoilers I guess) Maru's 10 heart event is the only one among the ladies that doesn't involve, uh, moves being made.

Well, she can't use the cave like Abigail did. Demetrius goes there for research .

Don't the dudes bone you on a 10 heart? Never seen one.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Guigui posted:

Have you tried building them outside the farm? I know they still produce honey if placed at the bus stop screen, and coversely probably produce anywhere else you can put them...

Which makes me wonder if you can build them in town...

:eyepop:
I thought that was fixed when he put a stop to fruit trees off-farm. This might allowed for unheard of levels of profit!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Poque posted:

The Wizard is pretty rad. :smug:

there really needs to be a Wizard/Abigail event

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Do they ever explain why Abigail seems to literally eat rocks?
I thought it was just an inconsistency with the gift messages but (spoilers)

When you marry her she occasionally asks you to bring her back something to eat if you're going to the mines

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

^ probably added as a joke refferencing that bug.

Skippy McPants posted:

He strikes me as a psycho, his event is getting mad at his wife for making popcorn.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Avalerion posted:

He strikes me as a psycho, his event is getting mad at his wife for making popcorn.

Did... did you miss the part where he's a war vet with PTSD?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Does it really manifest like this? I'm honestly not familiar with the condition beyond "jokes" like the scene here.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Absolutely. Things like fireworks, sirens, loud noises in general can trigger PTSD for people who have witnessed war/combat. Some towns actually don't do fireworks or do silent fireworks at big celebrations out of consideration

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Appologies if I offended anyone then, I can see that being genuinelly hard. :(

Media tends to get mental illness wrong all the time (showing schyzophrenia as literaly dual personalities rather than severe mood swings, a friend has an autistic kid and he's nothing like rain man), so while I'm aware pstd is a thing, thought "var vet freaks out/gets violent at noise" is a similarly overblown trope.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Spring, Summer & Autumn 1 I spent the entire time watering. By the time Spring 2 started I had all 100+ crop spots planned out with level 2 sprinklers. Never watering again. I imagine Spring 3 will probably involve some sort of hydro dam or river rerouting.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

ChrisBTY posted:

When you marry her she occasionally asks you to bring her back something to eat if you're going to the mines

It was originally just a bug. ConcernedApe found it funny, so he has sort of made it canon.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

well why not posted:

Spring, Summer & Autumn 1 I spent the entire time watering. By the time Spring 2 started I had all 100+ crop spots planned out with level 2 sprinklers. Never watering again. I imagine Spring 3 will probably involve some sort of hydro dam or river rerouting.

Just better sprinklers. Though late game you'll be technically able to summon rain.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Avalerion posted:

Media tends to get mental illness wrong all the time (showing schyzophrenia as literaly dual personalities rather than severe mood swings, a friend has an autistic kid and he's nothing like rain man), so while I'm aware pstd is a thing, thought "var vet freaks out/gets violent at noise" is a similarly overblown trope.

No offence at all, you didn't know, you asked and you learned. It really can't get more ideal than that :)

But yes the media is very bad for it. There's a thriller movie coming out called Split about a man with multiple personalities and o just groaned when I saw the trailer.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

ChrisBTY posted:

Originally it was an oversight on ConcernedApe's part, everything else on Abigail's loved gifts list is edible so her line was "How'd you know I was hungry? This looks delicious!" But he forgot Amethyst is also on the list.

It became a wildly popular in-joke among players, so CA ran with it in the 1.1 patch and added the spouse dialogue.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Avalerion posted:

Mental illness as a kooky quirk or as a plot device is something that particularly gets stuck in my craw. It can be fascinating when it explores who that character is as a person but more often it's everyone having a laugh at the freakshow.

But to be fair to CA, I do have a war vet friend who's always on edge whenever fireworks go off/cars backfire. He doesn't start raving and yelling at everyone but it does kind of ruin his day.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I feel like Kent is slightly exaggerated, going by my own experiences--it's a total gamble whether I can handle fireworks or not at any given occasion, as an example--but I feel like as media goes CA's way closer to the mark than most, and given the exaggeration of the populace generally, it didn't throw me.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Avalerion posted:

As someone with PTSD I can confirm that fireworks loving suck. I used to like 4th of July and fireworks but now I have to stay home and get as stoned as possible to keep from freaking out. "Freaking out" in my case is getting REALLY on edge or having a panic attack.

You don't need to be in a bunch of firefights to get like this either. I never was in a firefight but was mortared while on base, which the mortars never came close, and ended up getting shot by a sniper that was so far away no one heard the shot.

I can speak from experience that Kent's character is pretty spot on.

Edit: I guess I should say PTSD manifests itself differently depending on the person and situation. That's one of the main reasons the media and even medical professionals have a hard time understanding or even diagnosing it.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 19, 2017

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

MrSlam posted:

Mental illness as a kooky quirk or as a plot device is something that particularly gets stuck in my craw. It can be fascinating when it explores who that character is as a person but more often it's everyone having a laugh at the freakshow.

But to be fair to CA, I do have a war vet friend who's always on edge whenever fireworks go off/cars backfire. He doesn't start raving and yelling at everyone but it does kind of ruin his day.

Kent's dialogue and portrayal in general seems relatively considerate, given the common usage of mental illness and PTSD in media and lack of awareness in the population. A lot of what I've seen has been very understated, if that's the correct word? Small references and lines that suddenly make more sense once you put them together. Like how he gets nervous at the spring dance because he's in an open field surrounded by trees.

Also, if you give him certain foods (like sashimi) you find out he wasn't just a vet, he was a POW.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

mrmcd posted:

What bothers me about that whole thing is if you take Robin's side-- because it's clear what she meant to anyone who isn't a pedantic autist-- he gets all salty and makes a remark about how he's surprised "a farmer like yourself didn't know the difference."

He thinks his skill in one technical and demanding field translates to mastery of all other fields of human endeavor. He gets upset because being wrong compromises his persona of the "smart guy".

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006

Bar Crow posted:

He thinks his skill in one technical and demanding field translates to mastery of all other fields of human endeavor.

Wait, so Demetrius is a doctor?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I think you guys are really misreading that scene. Dude's got his head like 45,000 feet in the clouds doing his science stuff 24/7, and he's at least aware enough to realize sometimes that means he doesn't infer the right context. It's like the very next line.

he's the eccentric, absentminded professor type, not some sort of dicklord Mr Smart Guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Viperix posted:

Wait, so Demetrius is a doctor?

of botany, maybe