Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Threads like this make me proud to be a somethingawful poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
if you donate 10 large you get to go to a dinner in Tokyo where they won't even pay for you to get there.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Golden Goat posted:

It's not your thread anymore PossibleRon.

Schrodinger's Ron
A thought experiment proposed by members of the SomethingAwful community, in which the following theoretical situation is presented: "Let's say you place a Public Relations team inside a HyperDevBox, and that it was sealed away along with a single computer with access to the internet. Is that PR team Ron? Surely, it must be since this has been proven [1]. Alternately, is the PR team Not Ron? Surely, it must be since this has been proven. [2]"

This thought experiment, confusing as it is, puts forth an uncommon idea in that, inside HyperDevBox, Ron both is and is not the PR team. This thought experiment is beloved by game theorists with its relation towards Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, which (in the most simplistic terms) asks the question "was Thermidor a game that would see the light of day?" While leading researchers [3] have pointed towards trending evidence to indicate that it would not be completed, others point to a mysterious, indefinite "time dilation" effect [4] surrounding the game.

So how does this uncertainty apply to Schrodinger's Ron? In essence, the same functions apply; much like the fate of the maligned and historically inaccurate Thermidor, the state of Ron/Not Ron is impossible to prove, thus leading to a philosophical and logical paradox. Popular consensus for those that research Game Theory lean heavily towards the "Ron is a joke" solution, [5] and while no evidence has been put forth to contradict this conclusion--like most modern theories--it has been difficult to verify with 100% accuracy.

[1]:

hyperdevbox posted:

Ron, HDX Japan

[2]:

hyperdevbox posted:

That guy was fired.
Until we hire any PR guy or gal, I will try and do my best.

[3]:

JosephWongKS posted:

Documenting the downfall in real time (thank you for doing this, by the way!)

[4]:

JosephWongKS posted:

It hasn't failed yet - Hyperdevbox still has 12 days 1 month to hit the target.
[Can HDB simply reset the time limit indefinitely, or is there a limit on the number of times they can reset?]

[5]:
Multiple sources, including successful crowdfunder Saint Isaias Boner, successful indie games developer kukrunkarmaskin and noted moron Sole.Sushi. You're a joke, Ron. Sorry you had to find out this way and not due to being fired for gross incompetence.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

^ lmao this is a good post :hf:

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

Thanks everyone, really appreciating the response ITT. At the start I was mostly doing it for comedy/spite, but then the actual game turned out pretty well!

Reminder that there are still two Fabulous Prizes (Steam game of your choice under €10) up for grabs for anyone who PMs me the SECRET PASSWORD revealed during the ending cutscene, alternately a screenshot of the game stuck with one peasant left.

Also, I'm actually entertaining the thought of further working this into an real game and selling it. My current job involves developing stuff in Unreal Engine so I'm comfortable with that side of things, but I've never done a game before so I'm not super knowledgeable on how I would get to a finished product what with the sales and marketing and kickstarting and all.

So please tell me why this is a horrible idea and how it will make me regret the day I was born. That, or how to improve the game to make it viable.

Holy poo poo this dude never even made a game before and he made Fructidor: Tactical Guillotine Action in a few days, a rough but certainly playable and enjoyable game. And yeah, polish this up and I could see myself paying a few bucks on Steam for it, no question.

Meanwhile, Ron.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Truly, the Thermidor was within us all along.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I got a good feeling!

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

staberind posted:

I got a good feeling!

Blame yourself or Ron.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Soon Ron will be released into the atmosphere, ensuring. Complete. Global. Capitalization.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

Also, I'm actually entertaining the thought of further working this into an real game and selling it. My current job involves developing stuff in Unreal Engine so I'm comfortable with that side of things, but I've never done a game before so I'm not super knowledgeable on how I would get to a finished product what with the sales and marketing and kickstarting and all.

Which kind of job uses unreal engine and it's not game development?

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

nerdz posted:

I work in pharmaceutical advertising and we have a UE4 guy on staff for VR booth experiences and such.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

but I've never done a game before
The game is already great but this makes it amazing :stare:

Also a++ username min gubbe

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
I just want you all to know that I'm so glad I've been able to share this experience with all of you. It truly has been a journey, and I look forward to seeing where it takes us next.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
I would like to further expand on the "schrodingers ron" theory to this thread, for it is both good and bad at the same time

weak wrists big dick fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 18, 2017

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
FUNDS RAISED BY THERMIDOR ON INDIEGOGO

28 December 2016 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

31 December 2016 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

3 January 2017 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

5 January 2017 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

6 January 2017 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

7 January 2017 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

8 January 2017 - $1002 USD raised by 23 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal :siren:

9 January 2017 - $1002 USD raised by 23 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

10 January 2017 - $1052 USD raised by 24 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal :siren:

11 January 2017 - $1052 USD raised by 24 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

12 January 2017 - $1082 USD raised by 25 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal :siren:

13 January 2017 - $1082 USD raised by 25 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

14 January 2017 - $1082 USD raised by 25 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

15 January 2017 - $1082 USD raised by 25 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

16 January 2017 - $1082 USD raised by 25 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

17 January 2017 - $1112 USD raised by 26 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal :siren:

18 January 2017 - $1112 USD raised by 26 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

Total increase in number of backers between 28 December 2016 to 18 January 2017 - 4

Total increase in amount raised between 28 December 2016 to 18 January 2017 - $310

Average amount raised per day in the 21 days between 28 December 2016 to 18 January 2017 - $14.76

Time left - A month [According to the Indiegogo page - it's not specified exactly how many days this means]

Shortfall between target and amount raised so far - $238,888.00

Average amount of new funds per day month required to meet target - $238,888.00

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 19, 2017

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

JosephWongKS posted:

8 January 2017 - $1002 USD raised by 23 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal :siren:

10 January 2017 - $1052 USD raised by 24 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal :siren:

12 January 2017 - $1082 USD raised by 25 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal :siren:

17 January 2017 - $1112 USD raised by 26 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal :siren:

Total increase in number of backers between 28 December 2016 to 18 January 2017 - 4

Total increase in amount raised between 28 December 2016 to 18 January 2017 - $310

Average amount raised per day in the 21 days between 28 December 2016 to 18 January 2017 - $14.76

Time left - A month [According to the Indiegogo page - it's not specified exactly how many days this means]

Shortfall between target and amount raised so far - $238,888.00

Average amount of new funds per day month required to meet target - $238,888.00

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

best thing is ol' Ron 100% guaranteed didn't learn a thing and abandoned this thread because we're a bunch of pessimistic, unhelpful trolls :v:

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun

nerdz posted:

Lots of jobs! My background is in civil engineering, but I've gradually moved from steel and concrete design to what's pretty much video game development over a few years. I kind of went: Learning 3D CAD modeling while designing -> Learning how to set up CAD software while 3D modeling -> Learning how to program while setting up CAD software -> Developing CAD add-in software -> VIDEO GAEM. We first started using UE4 about 2 years back for visualizing infrastructure projects, right now we're working on a 1000 km˛ model of a high speed railway which is turning out pretty drat well.

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

The game is already great but this makes it amazing :stare:

Also a++ username min gubbe

Tack kompis! I have been involved in a couple of Awful Jams earlier though but I've only done music, which was the only thing I didn't have time for with Fructidor.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

As promised earlier kukrunkarmaskin you're getting either a big av or a custom platinum icon out of this. I've sent you the details via PM.

Also you should totally develop this further, it has a lot of potential.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Also since we've determined that this is no longer the HDB thread can you change the OP to be all about Fructidor Palpek? Thanks.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

This game really does a great job of capturing the desperation of the times. It's always surprising to me that outside of Paradox games, the question "What if France survived into the Modern Age?" is not up there alongside "What if the Confederacy won?" or "What if Byzantium never fell?". Fructidor drives home just how tense and close things were - indeed, one could say matters balanced on a guillotine edge.

The peasants come without end, seeking food, and no matter how hard I work some are not satisfied. We worked hard to make as many cakes as we could for them, guillotining with a ferocity that would make HyperDevBox's own Rob proud, and there were times when we were sincerely too scared to rotate the camera and see how many more rouge-culottes were making their inexorable way toward us.

We did bravely. But on Wave 25, we fell to the forces of the people.

Scholars still debate exactly what the phrase 'bonne moisson' meant. The most common notion, and one other linguistic work supports to an extent, is that it means something like 'good amount' (by extension implying a tree bearing unusually high quantities of fruit), but in the context of the events of 9 Fructidor, 1789, the argument that it means 'good speed' or '[guillotine] with haste' can be made as well. Hopefully future archeological works might find a rosetta stone of sorts, that we can gain insight into the fascinating French language, and gain more insight into the day-to-day lives of the guillotine designers, guillotine manufacturers, and guillotine operators who made up a plurality of France's working classes during the Revolutionary period.

As a work the game is admittedly limited in scope, but it never proclaimed any objective beyond that which it achieves almost flawlessly. And by shining a light on the extraordinary events of the Fructidorian Reaction, perhaps this unjustly overlooked period of French history will gain more interest in modern pop culture. I rate this guillotine as raised to a height of 13 feet out of a possible 14.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Mister Adequate posted:

This game really does a great job of capturing the desperation of the times. It's always surprising to me that outside of Paradox games, the question "What if France survived into the Modern Age?" is not up there alongside "What if the Confederacy won?" or "What if Byzantium never fell?". Fructidor drives home just how tense and close things were - indeed, one could say matters balanced on a guillotine edge.

The peasants come without end, seeking food, and no matter how hard I work some are not satisfied. We worked hard to make as many cakes as we could for them, guillotining with a ferocity that would make HyperDevBox's own Rob proud, and there were times when we were sincerely too scared to rotate the camera and see how many more rouge-culottes were making their inexorable way toward us.

We did bravely. But on Wave 25, we fell to the forces of the people.

Scholars still debate exactly what the phrase 'bonne moisson' meant. The most common notion, and one other linguistic work supports to an extent, is that it means something like 'good amount' (by extension implying a tree bearing unusually high quantities of fruit), but in the context of the events of 9 Fructidor, 1789, the argument that it means 'good speed' or '[guillotine] with haste' can be made as well. Hopefully future archeological works might find a rosetta stone of sorts, that we can gain insight into the fascinating French language, and gain more insight into the day-to-day lives of the guillotine designers, guillotine manufacturers, and guillotine operators who made up a plurality of France's working classes during the Revolutionary period.

As a work the game is admittedly limited in scope, but it never proclaimed any objective beyond that which it achieves almost flawlessly. And by shining a light on the extraordinary events of the Fructidorian Reaction, perhaps this unjustly overlooked period of French history will gain more interest in modern pop culture. I rate this guillotine as raised to a height of 13 feet out of a possible 14.

I am enjoying how this trainwreck of a video game (Thermidor) is turning into a mock analysis.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I guess there's only one thing left to say:

:thermidor:

Thanks for uploading it FAU.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kelp Me! posted:

best thing is ol' Ron 100% guaranteed didn't learn a thing and abandoned this thread because we're a bunch of pessimistic, unhelpful trolls :v:

millennial hand and shrimp

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

millennial hand and shrimp

I told em, buggrit

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

Hyperdevbox posted:

Thank you for your comment, a crowdfunding campaign is not only a mean to fund a project but also to gauge the general interest, if we see not interest or just a little then, sadly, we will have to end the Thermidor project.

The end is nigh

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

lalaland posted:

The end is nigh

The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis NapoleRon

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Mods please rename HDB into Foul Ole Ron

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I just came in after the title change and thought that good game from the game jam had its own thread.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

Mods please rename HDB into Foul Ole Ron

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I just came in after the title change and thought that good game from the game jam had its own thread.

This is accurate, all things considered.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

lalaland posted:

The end is nigh

They say this after they've already extended the deadline for their utter failure of a campaign

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It does. This is that thread. What other game might it be about?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The game jam game is more complete than the initial joke. :v:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

The game jam game is more complete than the initial joke. :v:

That is a very good summation of the last 3-4 pages of posts, thank you

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

19 January 2017 - $1227 USD raised by 28 backers / 1% of $240,000 fixed goal :siren:

Total increase in number of backers between 28 December 2016 to 18 January 2017 - 6

Total increase in amount raised between 28 December 2016 to 18 January 2017 - $425

Average amount raised per day in the 22 days between 28 December 2016 to 19 January 2017 - $19.32

Shortfall between target and amount raised so far - $238,773

Average amount of new funds per day month required to meet target - $238,773

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

JosephWongKS posted:

19 January 2017 - $1227 USD raised by 28 backers / 1% of $240,000 fixed goal :siren:

:gizz:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

JosephWongKS posted:

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]

JosephWongKS posted:

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006
Isn't that only 1% by rounding? Surely actual 1% is achieved at $2400. Not that I doubt the meteoric rise of this glorious tribute to Revolutionary France of course. It already has a fruit based fan game after all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Typical aristocratic bullshit, asking the pesantry to fund their grand designs.

• Locked thread