Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Nintendo is pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

The story about being asked about believing in god was about a different girl entirely, Cassie Burnell, and that story has been disputed by all witnesses. Rachel Scott, who this movie is about, was the first victim and there were no surviving witnesses to her murder. There's no evidence she spoke to her killers at all. So that's the gross christ-sploitation angle here. Still abnormally good for the people who made God's Not Dead.

Haven't Scott's parents and family been super exploitative about her death and the "Do you believe in god?" myth for a while?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Trojan Kaiju posted:

The rest of the post is addressing speculation, but this is a little bit off. Starting March is a free trial period which does not actually have the free monthly games, online lobbies and voice chat with friends using the phone app, or the special PS+ style deals. That all starts in the Fall when the paid subscription starts. All we have between launch until then is online co-op and competitive modes. This is detailed on http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Their online service (just the service of playing online, not the special bells and whistles) will be available immediately, and that online service is specifically what people are saying will not be worth paying for. It's not about the NES/SNES game; they're saying that it's a terrible incentive for an online experience that will consistently bad from Day 1.

We will be able to see what the online environment might be like during this "trial" period. Basing the Nintendo Switch's online experience on that of the Wii U and claiming it's a failure before it's even out the door is ridiculous. The smartphone thing is just the icing on that pre-judgment cake.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The Last Podcast On The Left did an episode or two on Columbine that dug into all the bullshit myths of columbine especially the "Do you believe in God?" one.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Alaois posted:

Haven't Scott's parents and family been super exploitative about her death and the "Do you believe in god?" myth for a while?

It could be way creepier and sleazier.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Jack Gladney posted:

The story about being asked about believing in god was about a different girl entirely, Cassie Burnell, and that story has been disputed by all witnesses. Rachel Scott, who this movie is about, was the first victim and there were no surviving witnesses to her murder. There's no evidence she spoke to her killers at all. So that's the gross christ-sploitation angle here. Still abnormally good for the people who made God's Not Dead.

Richard Castaldo was there with her and played dead after being shot like 8 times, but his story as far as I remember is the same deal, the last he heard from her was screaming on the grass and then getting shot.

"Richard Castaldo (who only survived the attack by feigning death) would recall hearing Rachel weeping as she curled into a ball upon the grass, before hearing a final gunshot as Harris and Klebold approached them."

Alaois posted:

They sure have. Her family or someone related to them, I forget, either way someone jumped at her death and milked that for all it's worth.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 19, 2017

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

My brain was shot by this thread. It is a martyr.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I'm pretty sure that's never going to happen, and would probably be a bad thing if it did. Nintendo is really drat good at creating new ideas and actually implementing them in fun ways, while the other companies see them as "gimmicks" and never, ever put enough faith into their own products. Of course motion controls suck on every system not made by Nintendo, because Nintendo was basically the only company that cared about making them work and making them fun.

Everybody says "Nintendo is doooooomed", but look at what Sony's doing with 4K and VR, and Microsoft's doing with... uh, nothing, while Nintendo is launching a new console in 6 weeks with a shitton of unique features that neither company has and nobody has any idea if it'll work or not, which is like flipping investors and marketing analysis experts the bird.

Everything has been far too "safe" in AAA games for a while now, the same old poo poo has pushed out with a new coat of paint so many times that nobody is buying like they used to even just two years ago, Sony and Microsoft are both pushing "new-but-not" consoles out instead of actual new consoles, so if anything, Nintendo is picking the perfect time to strike with a new console. Nobody knows how the Switch is going to be received, but at the very least it's going to shake things up quite a bit, which is what Nintendo is best at.

I mean, it sucks that they can't get anyone else to make some loving games for the thing, but at least they're willing to go through with it anyway, which takes balls that no other company has.

... so how about them critics, eh?

There was a lot of dumb poo poo in the Switch presentation, but the hard facts are actually pretty good for the Switch's outlook (nevermind that generally no console has a good first year simple because no-one's finished making games for it yet).

The Switch's first year has;
  • A launch title with an insanely-popular franchise that's probably got 100+ hours of content in it (Zelda: Breath of the Wild).
  • An updated version of Mario Kart 8 with Battle Mode a month after release, plus all the DLC and new characters (it's not much, granted, but it's still something of note)
  • A sequel to an outrageously popular online multiplayer game that people have been eagerly anticipating at the three-month mark after release (Splatoon).
  • A new open-world Mario game in the holiday season at year's end, something people have been wanting since after Super Mario Galaxy 1.
  • A Skyrim port (which lets face it, will likely sell okay on the novelty of being portable Skyrim if nothing else)
  • A proper sequel to Xenoblade Chronicles (if not early 2018)
  • Multiple medium-budget JRPG's from popular franchises (Tales of, Shin Megami Tensei, Dragon Quest), making it look very likely the Switch is angling to be the replacement go-to platform for lower-budget titles like the PS3 and Vita were last generation.

That is a solid lineup for a console's first year. That's not including whatever pops up at e3, because there's more than likely going to be a title or two with a release date in the September/October range.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

[*]A new open-world Mario game in the holiday season at year's end, something people have been wanting since after Super Mario Galaxy 1.

Just a tiny nitpick but it's not open world, it's the relatively open levels like in 64 and Sunshine.

All your other points are fairly solid.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

...And now apparently Switch matchmaking and lobbies will be handled through a phone app?

What are they smoking over there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

...And now apparently Switch matchmaking and lobbies will be handled through a phone app?

Everyone and their cat in Japan has a smartphone, and it's something they can use in whatever future consoles they release down the line most likely. It's still dumb, but you can at least see the train of logic behind it.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I think regular matchmaking is the same as normal but the private lobbies are through the phone app.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Everyone and their cat in Japan has a smartphone, and it's something they can use in whatever future consoles they release down the line most likely. It's still dumb, but you can at least see the train of logic behind it.

Okay, they can, but does that mean they should?

And since he is critical and on the internet, Internet of poo poo is worth linking just to be a little on-topic.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Okay, they can, but does that mean they should?

And since he is critical and on the internet, Internet of poo poo is worth linking just to be a little on-topic.

Nintendo's primary market has always been Japan, so "You can use your smart phone with this!" is going to potentially be a big deal there.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Going back on critics, I think Jim Sterling has always had wrong opinions about games. He has a history of them, going back to his time at Destructoid.

Best example for that is his enduring and inexplicable love for Modern Warfare 3, or his review of Sonic Colors.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Spark That Bled posted:

Going back on critics, I think Jim Sterling has always had wrong opinions about games. He has a history of them, going back to his time at Destructoid.

Best example for that is his enduring and inexplicable love for Modern Warfare 3, or his review of Sonic Colors.

He loves Deadly premonition though

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nintendo's primary market has always been Japan, so "You can use your smart phone with this!" is going to potentially be a big deal there.

This is like, the only aspect that has me groaning (aside from controller price which is a bit high). I'm hoping it's more "can" that "must" with smartphone functionality. But this is Nintendo.

Just a note: I'm almost certainly buying the Switch--just waiting until like a year after launch so I can nab a few games (and maybe save some money).

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene

DStecks posted:

Nintendo is pretty cool

:yeah:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mr. Fowl posted:

Just a note: I'm almost certainly buying the Switch--just waiting until like a year after launch so I can nab a few games (and maybe save some money).

Same boat here. It's not worth buying right away due to the small library.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Jim Sterling is best watched in small doses - he's hamming it up when he's on camera and that's funny, but not all the time. Besides, Boglin Watch is the best show he does by far.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I like Jim best as muckraker and gadfly; don't care much about his reviews, but as a commentator and consumer advocate he's fab. Also as a guy making weirdass videos and, of course, as Your #1 Boglin Boy.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

he isn't always wrong about games, like his undying love for silent hill 2 for example.

but yeah his strength is in consumer advocacy and calling out total bullshit rather than his opinions on games. his crunch video is prolly the best he's ever done and prolly won't be topped.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
jim sterling can be a pretty deece writer but sometimes the games he latches onto can be bizarre, like battleborn

just, what

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

cat doter posted:

jim sterling can be a pretty deece writer but sometimes the games he latches onto can be bizarre, like battleborn

just, what

rofl i forgot about that. though his video explaining exactly how hosed that game got by circumstances out of its control was pretty neat and kinda sad even if the game itself was not very good.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Sterling can be right about a lot of things but there's just times where he completely obtuse on some obvious things. Like giving out to Sony about not allowing game mods, when game mods on consoles is just a terrible idea in so many ways.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Do not even ask posted:

Sterling can be right about a lot of things but there's just times where he completely obtuse on some obvious things. Like giving out to Sony about not allowing game mods, when game mods on consoles is just a terrible idea in so many ways.

Hell, Microsoft probably only said yes to user mods in the faint hope it might actually move some consoles. If the XBone hadn't poo poo the bed so badly they'd probably have put their foot down in the same way.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Do not even ask posted:

I don't think mods on consoles are an inherently bad idea, but it requires some curation, for bethesda to thoroughly test the mods and say "ok this works" and push out the best stuff to people

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Cubey posted:

but yeah his strength is in consumer advocacy and calling out total bullshit rather than his opinions on games.

And being a very sexy man.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

cat doter posted:

I don't think mods on consoles are an inherently bad idea, but it requires some curation, for bethesda to thoroughly test the mods and say "ok this works" and push out the best stuff to people

I don't think you get just how vast the modding world is, even just for Skyrim or Fallout. Or how many people Bethesda would need, working 24-7, to keep pace with that influx.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
It's not even just that. Modding Bethesda games requires managing your load order, which is a tricky thing to do at the best of times. Not managing it correctly can lead to all kinds of errors, some of which may not become apparent until hours into your save. This isn't something that curation can fix as you will always be saddling the player with the responsibility of troubleshooting incompatibilities barring situations where one or another mod author creates a compatibility patch.

On PC this is all quite manageable. People have created tools that reference a community maintained database of optimal load orders, tools that store your mods virtually so that you can avoid installation order issues, and even ones that will dynamically create basic compatibility patches by compressing item, NPC and Texture lists from different mods into something more stable. All poo poo that the Modding community has been working with for YEARS and will NEVER be coming to consoles because Sony and Microsoft aren't completely idiotic.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

cat doter posted:

just, what

TotalBiscuit also really liked Battleborn for some reason.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mokinokaro posted:

TotalBiscuit also really liked Battleborn for some reason.

I'm sure it had more sliders in the graphics option that didn't do anything but made it look more complex

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I keep hearing Battle pen was a actual good game, it's just that Overwatch was better and no one cared.

Edit: Also, I understand where Jim is coming from about Skyrim mods. The whole point of Bethesda games at this point is nodding them. Usually to fix the broken stuff they never got around to fixing or to to make the game more interesting.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 20, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BigRed0427 posted:

I keep hearing Battle pen was a actual good game, it's just that Overwatch was better and no one cared.

Edit: Also, I understand where Jim is coming from about Skyrim mods. The whole point of Bethesda games at this point is nodding them. Usually to fix the broken stuff they never got around to fixing or to to make the game more interesting.

If Battleborne was even close to good, it would've survived by word-of-mouth and a slow-burn buildup of the playerbase once the honeymoon period was over for Overwatch.

It's now free-to-play and very dead.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Its parallels to Overwatch are mostly superficial. Battleborn is a lot closer to an actual first person MOBA. A very very grindy and unfun one at that.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If Battleborne was even close to good, it would've survived by word-of-mouth and a slow-burn buildup of the playerbase once the honeymoon period was over for Overwatch.

It's now free-to-play and very dead.

It's not free to play. (Yet.)

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

A lot of Jim's opinions on certain games are definitely different than most people's, but he's always been willing to go into detail about why he likes/dislikes a game and doesn't begrudge people for liking what they like most of the time.

As for Battleborn, it was mostly bad business decisions and people being fed up with Gearbox that did it in. The game itself isn't bad, it's just not good enough. As mentioned before, Sterling has a really good video on why the game failed (as well as ones for other games like Mighty no. 9).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Joseph Anderson returns with an even longer video expanding on his thoughts about Fallout 4, a year later.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Kay Kessler posted:

A lot of Jim's opinions on certain games are definitely different than most people's, but he's always been willing to go into detail about why he likes/dislikes a game and doesn't begrudge people for liking what they like most of the time.

As for Battleborn, it was mostly bad business decisions and people being fed up with Gearbox that did it in. The game itself isn't bad, it's just not good enough. As mentioned before, Sterling has a really good video on why the game failed (as well as ones for other games like Mighty no. 9).

BB would've been tons better if they'd just used Borderlands characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Whipped up a review for series four of Sherlock.

• Locked thread