Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Mazda apparently doing some weird diesel poo poo with their gas motors next year?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/news/a32301/mazda-gasoline-engine-compression-ignition-skyactiv/

Anyone have any idea what this would mean in a practical sense?

I'm continually impressed at Mazda's engineering prowess considering they're the lone wolf in the auto world these days. I really hope this turns out to be amazing because if it's a huge gently caress up it would be pretty damaging to the company. I'm curious how they'll handle the NOx problem.

Edit: The Skyactiv 2.5 is a very nice engine. I thought it had a decent amount of midrange oomph last time I drove a 6. They're paired with an awesome automatic and get really good gas mileage.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Mental Hospitality posted:

I'm continually impressed at Mazda's engineering prowess considering they're the lone wolf in the auto world these days. I really hope this turns out to be amazing because if it's a huge gently caress up it would be pretty damaging to the company. I'm curious how they'll handle the NOx problem.

Edit: The Skyactiv 2.5 is a very nice engine. I thought it had a decent amount of midrange oomph last time I drove a 6. They're paired with an awesome automatic and get really good gas mileage.

I wish they had the $$ to expand the 2.5 into an I-6.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Mental Hospitality posted:

It pulls pretty well above 3.5k in the right gear but god dammit, I'd kill for a turbo.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The 6 I had as a rental was extremely nice and got shockingly good fuel economy (like, 35 mpg on a long highway drive). Handled ok, had decent power, decent interior. Honestly if I was in the market for an appliance that would be a hard choice to pass up.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

It pulls pretty well above 3.5k in the right gear but god dammit, I'd kill for a turbo.

Yeah, going from a first gen turbo to the current 2.5 was a bit of a shock. The new six speed is brilliant though.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

The 6 I had as a rental was extremely nice and got shockingly good fuel economy (like, 35 mpg on a long highway drive). Handled ok, had decent power, decent interior. Honestly if I was in the market for an appliance that would be a hard choice to pass up.

The only reason I passed on the 6 and leased a Fusion was because here in Ford Country (Detroit) I got an amazing deal on the Fusion. The Ford is a great car, but I think the Mazda felt better engineered.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I think a Skyactiv V6 would be pretty neat. It'd probably get good mileage and sound brilliant. Take me back to my MX-6 days.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 19, 2017

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
But who mourns for the 1.8L V6?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

After owning thirsty Mazda after thirsty Mazda, all this talk of great fuel economy from their cars is surprising. I had two proteges, two miatas, and a v6 mazda 6 and they all got lovely mileage. The 6 in particular had the distinction of being both thirsty and slow. Granted, my newest mazda was an 08, so there you go.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

CharlesM posted:

But who mourns for the 1.8L V6?

I do
IMO small displacement turbo v6 is one of my favorite engine configs and i long for a turbo mx6.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jan 19, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Wistful of Dollars posted:

dope lemme just build a technological dead end engine with horrible packaging requirements for no reason

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I want to turn off the dash too! My VWs touchscreen was so bright even at the dimmest setting it would be distracting.

If I flip the dimmer on my Dodge at night, the gauges and the touchscreen dim a lot - so much that they're kind of hard to see if it's dawn or dusk and the lights are on. At night though, it's significantly better. If I flip it back to normal mode it's drat near blinding. I think it's a pretty effective night mode.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

35mpg out of a 4cyl midsized sedan on the highway isn't all that special these days.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

BloodBag posted:

After owning thirsty Mazda after thirsty Mazda, all this talk of great fuel economy from their cars is surprising. I had two proteges, two miatas, and a v6 mazda 6 and they all got lovely mileage. The 6 in particular had the distinction of being both thirsty and slow. Granted, my newest mazda was an 08, so there you go.
The Mazda6 V6 was some old Ford engine.

I had a first-gen Mazda3 and the mileage was pretty good but not spectacular. I think the mileage really got a boost when they rolled out the SkyActiv engines/transmissions.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

It's not just the engine/trans either for the sky active cars. Look at the weight of a Mazda 3/6 vs. the competition as well. They're always the lightest in their respective class now.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

dope lemme just build a technological dead end engine with horrible packaging requirements for no reason

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Also make it a diesel and put in in a Sportswagon.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I hope the current Mazda3 is selling well; seems to just be a great vehicle in all respects and I kinda love Mazda for bringing us the Mazdaspeed3 and the MX-5 (and the weird tiny-van 5). The G-Vectoring Control thing they're incorporating into the current 3 and some other cars is neat- kinda cuts the throttle ever-so-slightly when you turn the wheel to a certain degree to load up the front tires/suspension a bit and give you a little more direct control.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It does well here. The 3 is a great car.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yup the five years you can drive one before it rusts away from road salt is great.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

CornHolio posted:

If I flip the dimmer on my Dodge at night, the gauges and the touchscreen dim a lot - so much that they're kind of hard to see if it's dawn or dusk and the lights are on. At night though, it's significantly better. If I flip it back to normal mode it's drat near blinding. I think it's a pretty effective night mode.

Does yours have the automatic dimmer that runs separate from the automatic headlights? On the Jeep the interior goes into night mode even in overcast weather that's not dark enough to trigger the headlights and it's pretty convenient. I don't know if they're doing that on all cars but it's a nice improvement but's so minor that it's hard to notice.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Looking at the overhangs on the new Mazda they probably have enough space under the hood for a v12.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Throatwarbler posted:

Looking at the overhangs on the new Mazda they probably have enough space under the hood for a v12.

I'm fairly certain he was talking about the rotary.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The I-6 is cool and good.

It's not V8 good, but still good.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm fairly certain he was talking about the rotary.

Of the Rotary's many flaws packaging is not among them.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I was reading an article on the revival of Procar in Motorsport and Christian Danner called the BMW I6 a slow revving piece of crap. Cool beans.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

Of the Rotary's many flaws packaging is not among them.

That's subjective, it's entirely dependent on how many rotors you decide to go with.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

1500quidporsche posted:

That's subjective, it's entirely dependent on how many rotors you decide to go with.

Mazda only ever got to three, are you a bad enough dude to push it to six??

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Jymmybob posted:

Does yours have the automatic dimmer that runs separate from the automatic headlights? On the Jeep the interior goes into night mode even in overcast weather that's not dark enough to trigger the headlights and it's pretty convenient. I don't know if they're doing that on all cars but it's a nice improvement but's so minor that it's hard to notice.

Yeah, if the automatic headlights come on and the dimmer is set, the interior lights all dim. It isn't connected to the clock in any way. Unless I have the dimmer set to normal mode, then it's fine, I just have to flip it at night when it's blinding me.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Mazda had 4 rotors. :colbert:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Human Grand Prix posted:

I was reading an article on the revival of Procar in Motorsport and Christian Danner called the BMW I6 a slow revving piece of crap. Cool beans.

BURN THE HERETIC.

got fired from Snopes
Aug 28, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

https://youtu.be/emDOPPNAq2w

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

CornHolio posted:

Yeah, if the automatic headlights come on and the dimmer is set, the interior lights all dim. It isn't connected to the clock in any way. Unless I have the dimmer set to normal mode, then it's fine, I just have to flip it at night when it's blinding me.

I was talking about it being a little different. On my JGC the interior dimmer works off of a different setpoint/sensor so even if the headlights are off it'll dim the interior before it's gets dark enough to turn on the headlights. It'd probably make what you're talking about worse but it's a nice minor feature and I was wondering if it was becoming more common.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Jymmybob posted:

I was talking about it being a little different. On my JGC the interior dimmer works off of a different setpoint/sensor so even if the headlights are off it'll dim the interior before it's gets dark enough to turn on the headlights. It'd probably make what you're talking about worse but it's a nice minor feature and I was wondering if it was becoming more common.

Yeah, my Challenger doesn't have that.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

McTinkerson posted:

It's not just the engine/trans either for the sky active cars. Look at the weight of a Mazda 3/6 vs. the competition as well. They're always the lightest in their respective class now.
I don't think it's a coincidence that they all get dinged in reviews for a lot of road noise. I went to an auto show recently and the 3/6 doors felt noticeably lighter than competitors.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The 3 has 18" wheels too which definitely doesn't help with road noise (Golfs and Focuses and whatever tend to use smaller wheels except on the performance versions)

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Apparently one of the biggest changes to the CX-9 was adding way more sound-deadening material. Probably will happen to other models down the road.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Monkey Fracas posted:

I hope the current Mazda3 is selling well; seems to just be a great vehicle in all respects and I kinda love Mazda for bringing us the Mazdaspeed3 and the MX-5 (and the weird tiny-van 5). The G-Vectoring Control thing they're incorporating into the current 3 and some other cars is neat- kinda cuts the throttle ever-so-slightly when you turn the wheel to a certain degree to load up the front tires/suspension a bit and give you a little more direct control.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2017/01/usa-compact-car-sales-stats-december-2016-year-end.html

they aren't exactly setting the world on fire, but I'm sure Mazda isn't expecting that out of the 3 anyway.

Mazda don't have much market share in any segment except compact SUV/Crossover with the CX-5

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

The 2012 Mustangs did something really slick with the backlighting on the tachometer, in that the backlighting would flash bright red if you hit the redline.

My old Saab 9-3 has something similar. It has a night panel feature, which was mentioned, that turns off the needle and backlight for other gauges beside speedometer. On a road trip over christmas I noticed that if you get near the redline it would suddenly turn on the backlight for tachometer and the needle would spring to life for a short while.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

1500quidporsche posted:

Yup the five years you can drive one before it rusts away from road salt is great.

Look a post from 1997

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Koirhor posted:

Look a post from 1997

Unfortunately, not really.

Mazda has had rampant rust issues for the past 10 years or so.

It's pretty well known.