Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Lord Crapulus posted:

So what should we be aiming for? Also I see the spreadsheet is up to 9, at some point should we think about starting a second car (also giving us a little bit of protection in case one gets GT3'd early)?

I've done 0 test laps and the weather is supposed to be "nice" (52F!) on Saturday, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
I just added myself to the sheet.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Larrymer posted:

I've done 0 test laps and the weather is supposed to be "nice" (52F!) on Saturday, so...

I bought, but have not even downloaded, the Mercedes. LET'S DO THIS

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Lord Crapulus posted:

So what should we be aiming for? Also I see the spreadsheet is up to 9, at some point should we think about starting a second car (also giving us a little bit of protection in case one gets GT3'd early)?

I drive a BBW posted:

I just added myself to the sheet.

So now we have 10 on the sheet. If we did start a second car, would we want to try to even out the initial iRating to aim for the same split?

Larrymer posted:

I ran my first laps in the car (ever) two days ago and I'm actually not embarrassingly slow.

poshphil
Jun 17, 2005

I'm doing the only serious practice I'll get to do before the race tonight, are we double stinting tyres?

Do we have a setup preference yet?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Everyone make sure you're in the team by Friday.

Which team are we using?

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
If we do a second car, I wouldn't aim for the same split because then people get locked into one team. I think you theoretically could drive in different teams as long as they're not in the same split. Not 100% on that though.

I looked at some of the results from last year, and the top guys were not double stunting tires. They were all McLarens though, not sure what the difference would be. I'd say that we shouldn't, but we could try it later on if we need to do something crazy.

There are two race sets on the spreadsheet, so if you do any testing let us all know what you liked. The one with more wing is probably safer, but it can be difficult to stay on the end of a draft train.

We'll be using Team BearPope, if we decide to start a second team I'd say Team BearPope DDT (Vando's, IIRC).

e: 13 splits last year, top split GT3 SoF 4251, split 7 SoF 1895

Lord Crapulus fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 19, 2017

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Have we tried double stinting tires in testing to see how they hold up?

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

Bentai posted:

Have we tried ... testing ...?

I believe the answer is no :v:

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
Can I get an invite to the team?

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

I saw I'm an admin, and I'm trying to avoid doing any work the rest of the day, so I sent you and eyud one. That should be everybody that's on the sheet.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I decided to give admin to everyone to make things simple, for situations just like that.

Reposting the spreadsheet again for the new page.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
:siren: some things :siren:

This race only has one time split, so you'll be locked to whichever team you register with. In the past we've been able to multi team but that only works in multi time splits so DO NOT TRY THIS

I can't do any team admin stuff as I'm flying to Hawaii in the morning and the race start time will be at approximately lolno

I strongly recommend adding people to the team by registering it as "password access" instead of "team members only" because the time you don't is 100% the time the one chucklefuck who could drive at poo poo o clock in the morning forgot to accept the team invite

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Vando posted:

:siren: some things :siren:

This race only has one time split, so you'll be locked to whichever team you register with. In the past we've been able to multi team but that only works in multi time splits so DO NOT TRY THIS

I can't do any team admin stuff as I'm flying to Hawaii in the morning and the race start time will be at approximately lolno

I strongly recommend adding people to the team by registering it as "password access" instead of "team members only" because the time you don't is 100% the time the one chucklefuck who could drive at poo poo o clock in the morning forgot to accept the team invite

Excellent points.

Also, for the love of all things holy, map a goddamn button for pit speed limiter so you can deactivate it once you get in the car!

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

The Science Goy posted:

Excellent points.

Also, for the love of all things holy, map a goddamn button for pit speed limiter so you can deactivate it once you get in the car!
Still a hilarious and completely understandable event for me. I never mapped that button myself, so I never used the limiter, so this was completely irrelevant for me. I'm not going to turn it on, who cares about the button. "Yeaaaah, but if the driver you're replacing had it turned on..." - oops! Glad it was whoever it was and not me. (I've obviously since mapped it, this was a long time ago)

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 20, 2017

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

So we now have 11 people on the list, and just about every hour except like 3-5 am CST has several people available. I don't know how many hours people actually want to drive compared to what they're available for, but I'm thinking a second car might not be a bad idea unless most of you guys are just figuring on running 1 or 2 stints.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I drove set 1 yesterday, and set 2 today. I'm okay with using either one, but I would prefer set 1 for the extra stability from that higher wing, but set 2 can be made more stable with an in-car increase to the brake bias.

I didn't A/B the sets for laptime comparisons, but stability is important in a 24 hour race and set 1 is a bit more stable.

poshphil
Jun 17, 2005

The Science Goy posted:

I drove set 1 yesterday, and set 2 today. I'm okay with using either one, but I would prefer set 1 for the extra stability from that higher wing, but set 2 can be made more stable with an in-car increase to the brake bias.

I didn't A/B the sets for laptime comparisons, but stability is important in a 24 hour race and set 1 is a bit more stable.

I preferred set 1 too. I managed to actually drive a full stint without binning it at the bus stop using that one (although I also had more practice in by that point so might just have got better), so on balance I think any minor time gains from set 2 would be offset by the increased chance of needing to sit and fix the car.

I also don't think there's much point double stinting tyres. I ran a full stint, didn't change tyres and did 5 laps on them then changed them and did another couple. I was at least a full second faster on the fresh tyres. At 25s or seconds to change tyres the difference in time is probably made back, plus reduced risk of crashing. Although the tyres were only at 90% at end of the stint.

I was able to do a 44.8 near the start of the stint but was generally running in the 45s at the start then dropping to late 46s by the end of the stint.

My main thing to watch is entry to the bus stop when in draft, the extra speed causes me problems and I tend to home into the barrier on the inside if I'm not careful.

Edit: how does quali work for this?

poshphil fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jan 20, 2017

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Agreed, one stint seems best for tires, they drop off pretty quickly.

Qual is a separate session (next to the time trial button). The Q time used for the race is the fastest qual time of the drivers registered to the car when the session starts.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Anybody interested in a hosted session tonight to get most people to at least try the car? (I still haven't :() Thinking something like an hourish total, do some practice and then the 24 Minutes of Daytona.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I think it would be fun to have two goonteams in the same split. We've done that before. Do you think we can pull that off again?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Larrymer posted:

at least try the car? (I still haven't :()

....you expect to drive multiple hour-long stints in a 24-hour-long race that starts less than 24 hours from now, yet you haven't driven any laps yet, much less driven ~33 laps straight to burn through the entire fuel tank as you need to do in the race?

The car is somewhat straightforward to drive, but it definitely handles in a different manner as the fuel burns off and the tires wear out. The last 20 minutes of the fuel run is almost like driving a completely different car.

Even more importantly, multi-class traffic is usually calm with the occasional spurt of complete insanity. Public practice sessions are essential to figure out how to handle those situations without binning the car and losing 90 minutes in the pits for required repairs (plus the lost time caused by driving a still-broken car for the rest of the 24 hour race).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Guess I wasn't clear. I've tried the Merc, raced in a few bss races last season. I've raced with you in it in some of those gt3 hosted sessions recently even, lol. I've raced Daytona last year in the 24 hour race and didn't kill the car and it was much harder to drive (ruf). I haven't tried the setup but I'm not too worried at this point. I'm not fast or consistent enough to really notice tires, fuel, etc.

If we have two teams, put me on the less srs business team. :v:

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

The one team/two team thing is really up to feedback from all you guys. If people are thinking they only want to run an hour or two, we should stick with one. If people want to run more like four or five, we should do a second.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

My bad, I probably read into that a little too much...

I'm expecting to run 3-6 stints, but that's because I'll be running the night shift.

Do we want to shoot for ~2000-2500ish SOF for pre-race registration?

poshphil
Jun 17, 2005

I can only do the 2-3 hours I've put down so I guess either 2 or 3 stints depending on when the stint before starts.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah I marked when I'll be available, I'm not planning on driving that whole time. A stint or two is probably all I'll be able to do.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I'm somewhere between 0-4

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Eyud posted:

Yeah I marked when I'll be available, I'm not planning on driving that whole time. A stint or two is probably all I'll be able to do.

Same here. One team is probably fine.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

Okay, sounds like sticking with one is best.

I think that rather than making a detailed stint-by-stint schedule that we won't stick to anyway (based on prior experience), just pop in the Mumble and check in when you're around and we'll basically just schedule on the fly. There are a few guys with pretty limited availability; give them first shot during their windows. Since we're not planning on double stinting tires, there's basically no penalty for driver changes at each stop, so we should be pretty flexible.

I think somewhere between 2000-2500 is a good registration number to shoot for, so if Case/Harvey/one more lower guy register the team, that should do it. One of you guys (assuming CaseFace) should do a qual lap at some point. Also, unless whoever ends up being on for registration really doesn't want to start, I'm going to sleep in and plan on helping on the overnight stints. If you want me to start, let me know tonight so I can set the alarm.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Larrymer posted:

Anybody interested in a hosted session tonight to get most people to at least try the car? (I still haven't :() Thinking something like an hourish total, do some practice and then the 24 Minutes of Daytona.

Or we can all meet in the same practice session.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Road America is a ton of fun in the skippy, we should add it to the gooncar list someday.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Road America has been excluded in the past because the series focused on short road courses (Road America is definitely not a short road course) and short ovals. Then the 'Ring came out and we added that, so :shrug:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
It's only 4 laps. It's a short race.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Road America is good in any car imo

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Road America is a garbage draft fest in the Skip what are you all talking about

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

Vando posted:

Road America is a garbage draft fest in the Skip what are you all talking about

omg this

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Road America is good, the skip is meh on it. As much as I like the skip, I kind of wish we'd get away from using it honestly and use something with more balls. It's pretty punishing if you gently caress up a turn (which I do frequently) and lose your momentum.

Did some test laps with the race setup (non V2) and that drat car doesn't have enough gearing but otherwise it feels ok. I'm in the 46's on a good clean lap, 47-48 on less stellar ones. I compared to Caseface and I lose freaking 0.75s in the bus stop on the entry, so might try to figure that out. But eh, good enough for tomorrow. Didn't try the quali set, don't want to be the one to do it either. I'd only put us way down the field where the other mouth breathers (and wrecks) are.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I logged a qualy lap of 1:43.6 for TBP, hopefully that puts us in a decent place for our split. I'll hop in Mumble soon and knock out some laps with race set 1 in a public practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Do we have a suit? If not, here's the suit I submitted last year with the current layout if anyone want to use it.