Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i hope they re-release them after fixing the retarded bullshit like breach charge next to a fire extinguisher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Chexoid posted:

So is the Andersen Animosity Escalation just impossible to do SA? You can't pacify, but you need the detectives disguise. I had kind of been trying to SA all of them.

edit: Wow looked up an SA run and there's detective clothes in the attic. Was that added just for this? What a weird place to put it.

Pretty much any time the game throws a “use X disguise” + “no pacification” restriction into an escalation, the disguise will be added to the map in some horribly obscure spot.

Blowjob Overtime posted:

After Hokkaido was released, didn't the developers announce that they're less than halfway through all of the ET's they're planning for Season 1? It is annoying to have people act like the inclusion of free timed events that require resources from the developer to release on a regular schedule is a drawback of the game.

After ET #13, when they announced they'd change how they'd roll out ETs after the season ended, and presented the new suit unlocks, they also said that even if you got in after the full release, you'd have enough ETs to unlock everything, and could probably even miss out a few and still get it. Since there's a suit unlock that requires 13 completed ETs, they're aiming for a minimum of 26 total — very likely more than that to offer a margin for latecomers.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 19, 2017

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

where the red fern gropes posted:

i hope they re-release them after fixing the retarded bullshit like breach charge next to a fire extinguisher

That at least taught me how to use the Breaching Charge for more than just doors, like setting off gas tanks and barrels.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

WindyMan posted:

I think you may not be understanding what I was pitching. I need to reiterate this again, in bold: I am not proposing people pay to do a new elusive target. If my system was implemented, the exact same system that is in effect now, where your one shot to complete the elusive target, would remain. Got it?

I'm simply saying that if IO is really, really committed to never bringing back elusive targets for replay, this would be a model that might get them to change their mind. We keep the system we have, they get money from people that want to go beyond that system.

Your proposition is a really stupid idea, is the thing.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

WindyMan posted:

Your thoughts?

This is dumb and I'm glad you got downvoted

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

yeah thanks for the essay about how to inject AIDS into a good game

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

WindyMan posted:

Your thoughts?

Great idea, if you're designing a mobile game with intention to suck money out of people.

Please don't ever get involved with proper games though. I'd rather have that kind of cancer contained.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

WindyMan posted:

I think you may not be understanding what I was pitching. I need to reiterate this again, in bold: I am not proposing people pay to do a new elusive target. If my system was implemented, the exact same system that is in effect now, where your one shot to complete the elusive target, would remain. Got it?

I'm simply saying that if IO is really, really committed to never bringing back elusive targets for replay, this would be a model that might get them to change their mind. We keep the system we have, they get money from people that want to go beyond that system.

I understood completely. You get a free chance, but if you fail you have to pay to try again. That is an EA level of stupid idea and has no place in a retail game.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Its probably worth saying why it's stupid as the guy's clearly not seeing it. Putting a price on replaying the mission changes how the whole experience feels to every player. By putting a financial penalty on failure, the devs are incentivised to make the target as hard as possible to get more people failing it, and whether that actually happens or not, players are definitely going to feel that it might be why they just failed an ET. Giving any retries also makes any individual attempt less special, as it rips up the whole 1 chance aspect of risk that makes trying for the tricky kills on these targets so impressive and tempting.

If you want to make a system like that work you would want to look at Let it Die which has an arcade model, but is firstly an f2p game and has ingame currency ways of paying for retries on top of real money.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
This is all quite crazy. You guys are wording hard to undo exactly what makes ET so fun.

It's a test of skill not a test of disposable time. Or finances.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005
I'd be fine with it if ETs just showed up in the game after they expired, for unlimited attempts and no bonus unlocks. They feel like they're over so fast you don't even get to enjoy any extra lines or activity the devs might have put into them. I imagine they eventually will (and almost thought they had) when I found you could start expired ET contracts within the game - but the actually ET doesn't launch, just the intro.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WindyMan posted:

Lmfao

Aug 24, 2011

just did TUPPENCE A WISH in bangkok, all that bullshit about hitting the rocks is bullshit, i bounced 13 coins off the waterfall into the water and got the achievement

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

they should just do away with all the content and just give us all the unlocks, honestly

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

just did TUPPENCE A WISH in bangkok, all that bullshit about hitting the rocks is bullshit, i bounced 13 coins off the waterfall into the water and got the achievement

This was changed long after release so everything you see written about the rocks was prior to that and weren't bullshit.

Aug 24, 2011

if anybody here has not done the ABEL DE SILVA opportunity in bangkok, 47 has some excellent lines if you follow it to the end. i suggest starting in the linen closet, grabbing the master keycard, then running to the keycard room adjacent to where de silva starts, lure him with a coin then take his stuff

seriously its good

Zigmidge posted:

This was changed long after release so everything you see written about the rocks was prior to that and weren't bullshit.

huh ok

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

if anybody here has not done the ABEL DE SILVA opportunity in bangkok, 47 has some excellent lines if you follow it to the end.

Cross: Yeah, the last drummer wasn't mixing well with the sound I wanted to create.

47: So you want someone who can deliver a hit without being noticed?

Cross: ...uh, yeah. Something like that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Speaking of Bangkok, I thought it was interesting that they included the mixing board as a requirement for killing Jordan with the mic. I was futzing around with the board just to kill time and because I figured I might as well blend in. I completed the puzzle (I use that term very lightly) and because coincidentally I happened to be going for the sparky mic assassination it seemed as though Cross wouldn't start singing unless things were properly aligned on the mix board. I looked it up later and I was right.

Also, I killed some random sound crew guy when I blew up one of the birthday room propane tanks when I was bored waiting to snipe Cross and I ended up getting the challenge for screwing with the mix. I guess the rando was the guy who was supposed to fix it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I gotta say, the Bangkok poisoning of Jordan Cross's birthday cake is some dark poo poo. He realizes he's been poisoned and dies thinking his father did it. Brutal.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

My favorite is poisoning the beer in A New Life and the last thing the target's wife sees is a huge clown staring at her dispassionately

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

if anybody here has not done the ABEL DE SILVA opportunity in bangkok, 47 has some excellent lines if you follow it to the end. i suggest starting in the linen closet, grabbing the master keycard, then running to the keycard room adjacent to where de silva starts, lure him with a coin then take his stuff

seriously its good

It really is great, everyone listen to this guy.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

One thing puzzling me about that opportunity:

after the sick drum solo Cross wants to talk with you "alone" on the balcony, which is where I'm supposed to push him into the glass. Last time I tried it he had two bodyguards with him, one of whom was even standing on the same space Cross was. I assume I have to somehow know who those guys are and get rid of those guys too beforehand?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

mp5 posted:

after the sick drum solo Cross wants to talk with you "alone" on the balcony, which is where I'm supposed to push him into the glass. Last time I tried it he had two bodyguards with him, one of whom was even standing on the same space Cross was. I assume I have to somehow know who those guys are and get rid of those guys too beforehand?

I think that's a bug, because they were there for me one time and they not only didn't notice me murder their boss, they clipped into each other and formed one superguard.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

mp5 posted:

The one time I've done it the bodyguard(s) followed us to the spot on the roof where Cross starts talking, but before he went into his speech he told his bodyguards to give us some space to have a private conversation. Maybe him not saying that to the bodyguards was a glitch or missed flag? Did they get hung up on something en route and hadn't yet gotten to that area when the Cross AI did a check for them?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Blowjob Overtime posted:

The one time I've done it the bodyguard(s) followed us to the spot on the roof where Cross starts talking, but before he went into his speech he told his bodyguards to give us some space to have a private conversation. Maybe him not saying that to the bodyguards was a glitch or missed flag? Did they get hung up on something en route and hadn't yet gotten to that area when the Cross AI did a check for them?

I distinctly remember the target saying he wanted space, and the others still just following him anyway. I'll have to try it again tonight I suppose; I'm trying to finish mastery of each map before I move onto the next one at all outside of the Elusive Targets.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Cross: Yeah, the last drummer wasn't mixing well with the sound I wanted to create.

47: So you want someone who can deliver a hit without being noticed?

Cross: ...uh, yeah. Something like that.

47 is genuinely hilarious. I can only imagine Diana sitting back in her chair, muting her mic, and laughing her rear end off.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dNXPwB7lsQ

This has been posted in this thread before, but I finally remember to watch it and 1) watching (and enjoying) this video put me on a watch list, and 2) it is amazing both in accomplishment and time spent. The end of the canonical playthrough was almost exactly 11 hours flat.

If the person who made it reloaded at all, the actual time spent would be well over that. Based on the statistics at the end, I'm going to assume this was not 100% clean without reloading. Add on to that the effort to edit 11 hours of video and match it with the song, and this was over a full day of effort.

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I gotta say, the Bangkok poisoning of Jordan Cross's birthday cake is some dark poo poo. He realizes he's been poisoned and dies thinking his father did it. Brutal.

This is by far my favorite of the "target thinks they've been betrayed by someone else" hits.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

How many missions are there where you get hunted by an AI assassin? I've only seen one in the scarecrow escalation in Colorado.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Blowjob Overtime posted:

This has been posted in this thread before, but I finally remember to watch it and 1) watching (and enjoying) this video put me on a watch list, and 2) it is amazing both in accomplishment and time spent. The end of the canonical playthrough was almost exactly 11 hours flat.

If the person who made it reloaded at all, the actual time spent would be well over that. Based on the statistics at the end, I'm going to assume this was not 100% clean without reloading. Add on to that the effort to edit 11 hours of video and match it with the song, and this was over a full day of effort.

This is a thing of beauty, glorious!

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Blowjob Overtime posted:

I'm the guy who was killed by being pushed gently into 3 foot deep water

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
The new escalation is neat. Sticky Pistol is a cool complication, gives guards a whole new dynamic where you can walk right past them but you have to quickly get out of their sight lines. Last level took me a million tries, and I ran right into Novikov and his entourage booking it for the security room on my way downstairs to the exit. Luckily they were too busy apparently to notice the pistol in my hand.

Odobenidae posted:

How many missions are there where you get hunted by an AI assassin? I've only seen one in the scarecrow escalation in Colorado.

I've done every escalation and that's the only one I can remember with that feature.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Odobenidae posted:

One of the Sarajevo Six console-exclusive missions has a target with a whole entourage of those "stalker" guards. Otherwise, pathing and AI problems have caused the devs to shelve the idea.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

drat, the idea is really cool even though it did get really easy to kite the dude around once you figured out who he was. I never saw him actually attack me though, so I wonder if you can get him arrested/killed by the other AI for firing a gun at you.

In season two I would like a variation of that kind of character that's just a really good guard/detective that can sniff you out and generally be a pain in the rear end.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
The stalker works like a guard who sees through all your disguises, so alerting him near other guards just means he alerts those guards too.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/superdeluxe/status/822248617775747072

so much for that SA tho smh

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

He just have to find a NAS to shoot, and he'll no longer be recorded.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Do ETs not show up as crosshairs on the map or in red like regular targets? I ran around Colorado for about 30 minutes looking for the guy before I got shot to death for trying to subdue a guard and failed the mission forever. I watched a video on YouTube that showed the guy was in the house which was the first place I went to.

Finally unlocked the Sieger 300! Kinda bummed it only has 18 rounds and there's no way to get more ammo, I just want to go psycho from the Sapienza clock tower. :sigh:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

nexus6 posted:

Do ETs not show up as crosshairs on the map or in red like regular targets? I ran around Colorado for about 30 minutes looking for the guy before I got shot to death for trying to subdue a guard and failed the mission forever. I watched a video on YouTube that showed the guy was in the house which was the first place I went to.

No, their not showing up as anything special other than visual appearance is part of what makes them “elusive”. You just have to pay attention to their actual looks and what the mission briefing video shows, because it will generally hint at where they will show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Although for the Chameleon mission, since the target effectively is Rose down to the last detail, you can track him a little easier in Instinct by seeing the highlighted watch he wears.