Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
I enjoy revisiting old topics like the process in Philly even if they have been discussed to death. It's like what Dokmo did a few pages back when he revisited his predictions for the Rockets while Capella was injured, its good to look back on what you thought and see how right/wrong you were.

I was skeptical of Hinkie's strategy because I thought there was a real possibility that they could be terrible for 5+ years and still not get that superstar-level player. I think the worst case scenario would have been something like Embiid never gets injured, so Philly has to take the best player available in Jabari Parker, who might have elevated them out of the chance for a likely top-3 pick while still not being good enough to lead a team to a championship all by himself.

That being said, it is really starting to look like they did get that superstar player in Embiid. I think the fact that the team around him right now is bad is mostly irrelevant. Look at the Rockets, they're on their 5th season with Harden, and in that time they've gone from a Harden/Lin/Parsons/Asik core to a Harden/Dwight/Bad shooters core to this Harden/Good shooters/Good Rollers core. As long as they can keep Embiid happy they should be golden.

Overall, I'm not really sure it's a template other teams should follow. It went well this time, but it easily could have been a disaster. I'd be very wary if I was a small market team that hasn't attracted free agents in the past, like Portland, because it does seem like a free agent injection of talent is necessary once your superstar awakens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dejan Bimble posted:

I have two questions for our man Kibner, or anyone who regularly watches the Peligrosos. Is terrence Jones producing because someone has to use some usage, or is he actually playing well? And what happened to knicks star Langston Galloway?

TJones is playing OK but most of his stats are because someone has to take shots. He is an offensive black hole and leaves good defensive and rebounding position to chase blocks. He has no jumper but continues to shoot them. Somehow, his pump fakes work.

I am biased because I just don't like him as a person. He's still more effective on offense than Asik and better than Ajinca on defense (read: doesn't foul a ton).

Galloway has won the hearts of everyone here. He's been great as a 3 point threat, to the point that local press gave him the nickname Green Light Galloway. It has stuck and there is a grassroots effort to get him into the 3pt contest next month.

His defense has been alright, play making non-existent, and he takes too many bad mid-range jumpers. He always plays with energy and is a huge part of the bench getting the team back into games.

When the fourth quarter crunch comes around, Gentry usually picks whoever is the hottest of Langston, Hield, and Moore to be the off-guard.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 19, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Harden didn't force his way off of the Thunder, they chose Ibaka over him and didn't want to go into super duper luxury tax territory. No one knew how good Harden was at the time either. When he put up 30+ his first few games as a Rocket I remember people being genuinely surprised

It's been a few years now but the general consensus was that he hadn't proven himself to be star potential because he was coming off the bench IIRC

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

I didn't catch what he said here.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Time posted:

Every time I watch embiid play I have to walk myself back from genuinely asserting we are watching the birth of he greatest big man since wilt

Having watched Wilt (and Kareem) in their prime, I think there's merit to thinking this, in terms of sheer talent, etc. Those two guys were also pretty much made of iron, injury-wise. Embiid is still just a Delly-roll from "what could have been" at this point.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

pubic works project posted:

I didn't catch what he said here.

He was telling Kanter don't say what's up to his bitch-rear end

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Intruder posted:

Harden didn't force his way off of the Thunder, they chose Ibaka over him and didn't want to go into super duper luxury tax territory. No one knew how good Harden was at the time either. When he put up 30+ his first few games as a Rocket I remember people being genuinely surprised

It's been a few years now but the general consensus was that he hadn't proven himself to be star potential because he was coming off the bench IIRC

That's been discussed ad nauseam, but Ibaka took a cut from max iirc, and Harden wasn't willing to. He was already the 6th Man of the Year, so yeah they knew he was good, maybe not MVP good. But he was also on the Olympic team that year, so. I'm not a salary wonk wiz like everyone else itt, but I recall they were overpaying Perkins in a major way, and could have amnestied him- don't even know if that means anything- but Presti chose not to.

Intruder posted:

lol

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Intruder posted:

Lmao I love Russ.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Pretty much the hindsight answer was that removing Perkins would allow the Thunder to keep Harden and Ibaka while being under the luxury.

So blame Perkins for why the Thunder are currently as they are.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Mr. Mambold posted:

Having watched Wilt (and Kareem) in their prime, I think there's merit to thinking this, in terms of sheer talent, etc. Those two guys were also pretty much made of iron, injury-wise. Embiid is still just a Delly-roll from "what could have been" at this point.

I really love having you in here as our ball granpappy. It adds some really nice context to our inevitable rankings and GOAT discussions.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Poor friendly Kanter is trapped in Russ's hate prison.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Time posted:

I really love having you in here as our ball granpappy. It adds some really nice context to our inevitable rankings and GOAT discussions.

:thumbsup: you guys are pretty spot on about Chuck and those guys being legends in their own mind, and the state of the game in general being far better now than ever.
Hell otherwise I'd stay away from the thread

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

leftist heap posted:

It's not like he's not used to being told to disconnect from the people he loves. Enes Westbrook incoming

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Zogo posted:

You're leaving out the part where CLE gets THREE #1 picks in a four year period. Their odds over that span pegged that as like a once every 2,000 year event (if you think the draft is really legitimate). Seeing as how the machinations of the draft are done behind closed doors I'm skeptical.

Imagine if those state lotteries were done behind a curtain rather than live on TV.
Cleveland won the #1 pick exactly when they needed to in order to acquire Love and bring LeBron back home. Pelicans won to get AD after the league did the Chris Paul shenanigans. Sixers finally win the #1 pick when they bow to the NBA's will and fire Hinkie and hire Colangelos. MAkes You THink.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 19, 2017

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i mean, kd is a shook beta bitch, so i support russ

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hey guys

gently caress Kevin Durant

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Cool Buff Man posted:

It's not like he's not used to being told to disconnect from the people he loves. Enes Westbrook incoming

lol

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Hey guys

gently caress Kevin Durant

Fuuuuuuuck Kevin Duraaaaaaant

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I hope Portland does something because they stink. Anything really.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Cool Buff Man posted:

this post owns

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

leftist heap posted:

I'm willing to sacrifice CJ for a defensive center.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

leftist heap posted:

Why oh why did Portland cap themselves out for a 44 win team? I know there's an attitude of "nobody big will sign with us, so we might as well sign a couple of lesser players to oversized deals" with some small market front offices, but has that path ever lead anyone to a conference finals, let alone a championship?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

As a basketball dilettante I think it's pretty cool that the extremely hyped foreign big man with a history of injury is actually panning out. I seem to remember a lot of hyped foreign big men drafted becoming utter busts, so I kind of have this (I'm sure unjustified) bias against lottery picked seven footers from far off lands, or Canada.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

That's been discussed ad nauseam, but Ibaka took a cut from max iirc, and Harden wasn't willing to. He was already the 6th Man of the Year, so yeah they knew he was good, maybe not MVP good. But he was also on the Olympic team that year, so. I'm not a salary wonk wiz like everyone else itt, but I recall they were overpaying Perkins in a major way, and could have amnestied him- don't even know if that means anything- but Presti chose not to.

Ok, fair enough, though I don't think a player asking to be paid what he feels he deserves is "forcing himself off the team" either

Even max players are by and large paid far less than their value to the team

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

lol the Kings traded Isaiah Thomas for Alex Oriakhi and a trade exception

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Sheriff posted:

Why oh why did Portland cap themselves out for a 44 win team? I know there's an attitude of "nobody big will sign with us, so we might as well sign a couple of lesser players to oversized deals" with some small market front offices, but has that path ever lead anyone to a conference finals, let alone a championship?

Pistons

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Sheriff posted:

A few things

Almost all of Portland's role players were RFAs, and Portland didn't have enough cap space to replace them, so they re-signed them
Portland knew that they wanted to keep CJ and that he would command a max contract, so they needed to sign players before his extension kicked in
Blazer fans got their expectations up for signing a big name FA like Whiteside, so Olshey had to sign someone to placate them
The West 4 through 8 was expected to be wide open, so now was the time to try to put together a 50 win team
Portland needed more assets to try to make a trade for a star

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

straight up brolic posted:

lol the Kings traded Isaiah Thomas for Alex Oriakhi and a trade exception

They had Hassan Whiteside too

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
:siren: I was thinking about Lebron's lack of serious injuries over thousands of games, and MKG's constant string of injuries. In watching video, I would claim that the deciding factor isn't HGH or whatever botique dope Lebron is on, but gymnast/pro wrestler style body control. Lebron contorts in the air so that his body takes impacts in the safest states of relaxation/tension and in the best position possible. MKG dives like a torpedo after loose balls and lands squarely on a full retracted shoulder. Not getting injured is in cases not relating to bad dellavedova beverly knee rolls, is a skill. Having the biomechanics to not prematurely wear soft tissue is also a skill. We see in Derrick Rose how badly things can go if a player doesn't know how to safely run and jump.

This is probably something smart NBA teams understand by now, and if not, pay me 290k for the next 10 years and I'll teach your players how to fall down :siren: :twisted:

I should really practice with final cut so I can make side by side falling comp videos and get those #youtubeRevenues

Pistons championship team was trading for 3rd overall pick who was prematurely traded by Rick Pitino and then by Twolves as a 2nd year player, tricking Michael Jordan that Jerry Stackhouse and his huge contract were worth more than young Rip Hamilton whose numbers were good afaik, signing solid rotation players, and then getting Ben Wallace as part of the sign and trade for Grant Hill, and dead lucking into Rasheed Wallace after Rasheed refused to play for a garbage Hawks team a day after being traded there. Dumars was smart to clear space to make moves, but he didn't build that team through free agency. The the high value low price agents he added were post championship, Chris Webber and Antonio McDyess. You can see how he tried to repeat the process a second time around, with the trade for AI and signing Charlie Villanueva and Eric Gordon, and how badly that went. Luck goes both ways, the NBA is cruel

But you distracted me from what I was originally going to post

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 19, 2017

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

E2M2 posted:

The Grizzlies signed him twice earlier in the same season that he caught on with the Heat

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

E2M2 posted:

He was a real butthead with work ethic problems at that point so you can't really hold that one against them

evil_cheese
Sep 11, 2002
I AM A LIAR

Dejan Bimble posted:

Pistons championship team was trading for 3rd overall pick who was prematurely traded by Rick Pitino and then by Twolves as a 2nd year player

Billups was traded from the celtics in the first yea of his NBA life, in december iirc. Pitino you loving idiot, it STILL makes me upset all these years later. How could anyone think trading the 3rd pick was a good idea after 2 months of seeing how he played?????

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Chairchucker posted:

I've changed my mind BTW it's Philly, possibly even this year.
If they actually made the playoffs this year, Embiid would win the MVP

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Sheriff posted:

They didn't sign all of those guys thinking it would win them a championship. Their goal was to be a consistent playoff team. Unfortunately right now it looks like they missed badly.

One thing that I think is an underrated part of their struggles is the regression of Ed Davis. What the gently caress happened to him? He is the only thing even close to an inside presence on that team, and he's been complete trash this season.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
There is no reliable way to make a team that can get to the Championship. Cleveland made a big splash getting Lebron back, Heat signed 2 superstars to join their 1, Dallas made a bunch of middling FA signs that panned out along with their homegrown superstar, GSW bet the farm on some injury prone players and getting some draft picks to pan out (and were helped by a 2nd rounder exploding). The best way to start is to get super-star level players and then trying to find opportunities to build around them and surround them with talent.

It's pretty much "What can I do to get players with as much talent as possible". There isn't any other strategy.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I predict that the next tanking strategy will be to shut down a completely healthy superstar for an entire season

Of course they won't be that transparent about it, they will say something like "Kristaps is studying meditation at a Buddhist temple this season"

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I predict that the next tanking strategy will be to shut down a completely healthy superstar for an entire season

Of course they won't be that transparent about it, they will say something like "Kristaps is studying meditation at a Buddhist temple this season"

The player would never ever go for it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

As Papercut said I think you'd have trouble getting the player to buy in, but you may see GMs weirdly overrate injured players in the draft.

Although young guys tend to not actually help you win anyway.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

leftist heap posted:

Better than being trapped in Erdogan's real prison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
gently caress!!!! Beaten to the Turkish politics joke punch by Quick Draw Cool Buff Man

• Locked thread