Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

could just mean they acquired the team they were outsourcing to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Parallax posted:

could just mean they acquired the team they were outsourcing to

Sounds like it from this post.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Crunchyroll/comments/5oug4a/apparently_there_have_been_layoffs/dcm63ua/

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

One one hand, crunchy's infrastructure could use some upgrading.

On the other hand, :stonk:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Lol @ the company laughing off the obvious conflict of interest.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I really really hope that CR isn't getting full of itself and goes down a path that leads to them blowing up. They pretty much set the bar on what a streaming service should be for me, and all the other anime companies blowing it just showed how important they were. This is not good news.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I'm no expert but outsourcing critical infrastructure seems like a potentially horrific idea.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Agronox posted:

I'm no expert but outsourcing critical infrastructure seems like a potentially horrific profitable idea.
Thought every budget-cutting middle-to-upper-manager everywhere.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Agronox posted:

I'm no expert but outsourcing critical infrastructure seems like a potentially horrific idea.

Well, it depends: if you outsource it to a company that already does a good job of the same thing (as opposed to someone who is just the lowest bidder), it may actually be more financially efficient and better. (e.g. NHL's streaming got better when they outsourced it to MLB, which had a lot of expertise in the whole "streaming soorts" area)... but I somehow doubt that's the case here, and little details can matter a lot: for example Netflix's Android streaming app seems to suck for anime since it renders subtitles poorly despite them being good at the far more complicated stuff involved in streaming videos.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Kytrarewn posted:

So the three girls in Akiba Strip are voiced by the same people as the three main characters in Sore ga Seiyuu, and they were credited as the idol group they formed in that show.

I wonder if they brought all 3 on just for the purposes of making that joke, or if "Earphones" is actually succeeding as an idol group in Japan.

Either way, it's kinda cool.

No idea if they're succeeding otherwise, but they also did the opening to this PS Vita game as Earphones, so it's not just Gonzo reviving the group for Akiba's Trip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNNcILXESeo

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
akiba strip seems fun and goofy. it makes me want to pick up the game that's on steam when it's on sale some time. but also, i kind of wonder about the "it's just good because of the localization" angle I've kept hearing since the show alone makes me laugh and there's a lot of funny japanese stuff even i can pick up, like all their dumb punny/net culture names

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Okay, trying to interpret this CR thing.

1. Obviously this sucks for the people affected.

2. Seems like they have been outsourcing some tasks to this other company for a while, and now they are moving to full on merger. This results in laying off the roles that the other company does.

3. This sorta answers the 'why isn't it a conflict of interest' question. It's not a conflict of interest because this was the plan from the start. When the guy from the other company was hired as interim CTO his job was to manage this merger and identify who can be cut given his knowledge of the other company.

4. The goal is to cut costs. Moldovan computer guys are cheaper than Bay Area guys. That would be the logic. Whether this works out, who knows. From the sounds of it CR is very worried about Amazon and Netflix coming in, so these moves make sense in principle in terms of ensuring they continue to be competition. Sack the replaceable tech dudes, keep the anime experts.

5. This ignores that the latter know and are friends with the latter, so this will hurt morale a lot. This probably explains the vague tweets.

Cheer up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7MQj3CqMM4

Fangz fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jan 19, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Space Flower posted:

akiba strip seems fun and goofy. it makes me want to pick up the game that's on steam when it's on sale some time. but also, i kind of wonder about the "it's just good because of the localization" angle I've kept hearing since the show alone makes me laugh and there's a lot of funny japanese stuff even i can pick up, like all their dumb punny/net culture names

The game is good because the localised writing is really funny, and it's neat to wander around a mostly 1:1 Akiba, but the combat in it is super boring and aggressively mediocre and the game would be better without it (or with combat that's actually good).

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Fangz posted:

Okay, trying to interpret this CR thing.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fangz posted:

4. The goal is to cut costs. Moldovan computer guys are cheaper than Bay Area guys. That would be the logic. Whether this works out, who knows. From the sounds of it CR is very worried about Amazon and Netflix coming in, so these moves make sense in principle in terms of ensuring they continue to be competition. Sack the replaceable tech dudes, keep the anime experts.

I bet they feel dumb for worrying about Amazon getting into the anime business, now that Amazon has actually announced their terrible anime plan.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Fangz posted:

3. This sorta answers the 'why isn't it a conflict of interest' question. It's not a conflict of interest because this was the plan from the start. When the guy from the other company was hired as interim CTO his job was to manage this merger and identify who can be cut given his knowledge of the other company.

Saying that is one thing, but absolutely no notice was given to the fired employees from what anyone can tell. It seems as if this plan was intentionally withheld so that there would be no chance to dissent.

And none of that is technically illegal, which loving sucks for all those poor QA and engineering folks.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

Saying that is one thing, but absolutely no notice was given to the fired employees from what anyone can tell. It seems as if this plan was intentionally withheld so that there would be no chance to dissent.

And none of that is technically illegal, which loving sucks for all those poor QA and engineering folks.

I mean the cynical way to reword what I said is that there's no conflict of interest because the business doesn't give a poo poo about the employees beyond their contribution to profitability.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Unrelatedly, some more vague rumours https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2017/01/19/what-unannounced-works-do-anime-studios-have-planned-for-2017/

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

lol I love these. So much non-news.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

8-Bit doing a sequel? Come on, Encouragement of Climb season 3!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

quote:

Orange: Working on a project that will make you go “Eeeh!?”

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i saw the same list in a forum post like 2 weeks ago...

it had a few studios not mentioned too

LIDENFILMS - 1~2 unannounced titles
MADHOUSE - Movie, plus some other titles including anime original and sequels
Millepensee - 3 projects, all sequels
Polygon Pictures - Family-oriented TV series
WHITE FOX - 3 titles, including non-TV series
Brains Base - 2 series from April, 1 from October
feel. - Anime original and adaptation
Doga Kobo - Plans for a sequel
ZERO-G - 3 Titles (Wikipedia says Piace, Tsugumomo, and DIVE!!)
Seven - 2 TV series
XEBEC - The series everyone already knows about
SUNRiSE - Some new stuff regarding Gundam
A-1 Pictures - Anime original
Gonzo - Doing 18 during 17
TRIGGER - Projects with directors like "that" person and "that" person
SILVER LINK. - Putting effort into original content
WIT Studio - Unannounced title
8bit - A certain title’s sequel
Khara - Ryuu no Haisha
Kinema citrus - An adaptation of a work with a deep perspective of the world and an adventure that isn’t so easy
Orange - Producing a series that will make you go, “What!?”

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I can't believe Dogakobo is doing A Certain Magical Index S3

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Davincie posted:

i saw the same list in a forum post like 2 weeks ago...

"A summary of this made the rounds last week, but it was based off the index rather than carefully reading the entire article. We’ve gone through it all and curated the most interesting news and hints, so enjoy!"

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

yeah? so? i read it. this doesn't change them leaving out several studios and details from other ones nor is 2 weeks ago last week.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Davincie posted:

yeah? so? i read it. this doesn't change them leaving out several studios and details from other ones nor is 2 weeks ago last week.

It'd be great if you linked this other post, especially if you could do so 2 weeks ago

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i did

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ok, you're better at anime than Space Flower

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
how come the loser is me!?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Natural selection

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Why are there three threads for Maid Dragon

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

One for Tohru, one for Kobayashi, and one for their daughter.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I think you mean "oh thank heavens, there are three maidragon threads."

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

quote:

Silver Link: Working on an original project that should be announced next year. They also want to focus more on original contents in the future.

I'm legitimately a bit disappointed by this. Silver Link has been doing some great, loving adaptations recently, with things like Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge. It'll be a shame to see them start making (probably) mediocre original stuff.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I think you mean "oh thank heavens, there are three maidragon threads."

drat, you're right

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Kytrarewn posted:

I'm legitimately a bit disappointed by this. Silver Link has been doing some great, loving adaptations recently, with things like Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge. It'll be a shame to see them start making (probably) mediocre original stuff.

they do several shows a year, i don't think that letting them have some ambitious fun is gonna tear the Earth asunder

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

quote:

Tatsunoko: Hints that Kenji Nakamura’s (Tsuritama, Gatchaman Crowds) new work should come out soon.

:toot:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Good post avatar combo

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I'm so loving ready for Gatchaman Crowds S3

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Kytrarewn posted:

why would you assume it'd be mediocre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I want Silver Link to make their Shirobako

• Locked thread