Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

I have a feeling Red Panels is going to walk away with the 2017 Gay Abortions Award for Most Easily Reinterpreted unless we change the category to Most Easily Reinterpreted (that isn't Red Panels) to make it at least somewhat competitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
I was browsing through "Medium Large" when I came across this strip:

From 2010-ish.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"House pass new abortion laws plagiarized directly from The Handmaid's Tale" is one that seems disturbingly likely to not be comical exaggeration. loving up the relationship with Canada is also plausible, given Trump's habit of insulting other countries left and right, he might do something to really piss off the Canucks.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Cat Mattress posted:

"House pass new abortion laws plagiarized directly from The Handmaid's Tale" is one that seems disturbingly likely to not be comical exaggeration. loving up the relationship with Canada is also plausible, given Trump's habit of insulting other countries left and right, he might do something to really piss off the Canucks.

Breaking NAFTA or dropping out of the various environmental deals would gently caress thing up, yeah. Not sure what we could do to retaliate though, our economy is still pretty focused on selling poo poo to Americans.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

21 Muns posted:

IIRC Stilton Jarlsberg is his actual name and he used to write for Barney. Like, the purple dinosaur.

If "Stilton Jarlsberg" is his actual God-given legal Christian name which he had to use as a child I think it'd explain a lot about how he got all that hate in his heart

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

How did you manage not to hear about Charlie Hebdo?

Hebbo was attacked by islamic fanatics.

Here in europe we have fanatics, people that strongly believe in human rights, freedom, technology and science.

Tei fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 19, 2017

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
It came from Facebook!

I can't find anything else by this dude.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Tei posted:

Hebbo was attacked by islamic fanatics.

Here in europe we have fanatics, people that strongly believe in human rights, freedom, technology and science.
We are more efficient at killing than the middle easterns.

:yikes:

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

It came from Facebook!

I can't find anything else by this dude.

....AGC?

Hate begets hate.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Look man you chose to not put Tei on your ignore list, your bad.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on May, Trump and leadership – During a bad-tempered prime minister’s questions, Jeremy Corbyn repeatedly questioned May over the EU exit plan she set out in a speech on Tuesday. May responded by insisting she aimed to negotiate a strong deal and accusing Corbyn of having no vision of his own"

Telegraph:

No 10 defends Boris Johnson over 'Brexit punishment beatings' quip

Independent:

Times:

Mail:
Mac on... Remoaners and La La Land

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Here in europe we put gods into the table and take measures.

God is either omnipotent and don't need extra care like a small children, or is very weak and not worth worship.

If god is so weak that a cartoon hurt him, he is poo poo.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Tei posted:

Here in europe we put gods into the table and take measures.

God is either omnipotent and don't need extra care like a small children, or is very weak and not worth worship.

If god is so weak that a cartoon hurt him, he is poo poo.

Cool hot take from 2002 my dude

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Yes, the security system is called "Putting all the Muslims in a ghetto and killing them".

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

And so, after Jan.20th, she shall remain the first lady of us all.

"History will shine brighter on this administration mostly because Trump."

He confused Manson with Manning? :confused:

I think that's the narrowest Trump head Toles has drawn.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Jedit posted:

Yes, the security system is called "Putting all the Muslims in a ghetto and killing them".
I wonder how closely you could describe a holocaust for Muslims and get Kirschen on board before he catches on.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Sandpuppy posted:

He confused Manson with Manning? :confused:

No, he's just poking some fun. The nerve. Also that's not what Washington D.C. looks like.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

...You know, if I had made a list of people I expected to actually refer to Manning by the correct name (well, initial), Branco would have been nowhere on it.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
That was actually touching for JRROSE! :aaa:

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

Hihohe posted:

Someone switch the fire with trump so that the sweet, sweet, nuclear fire is hope.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Love you :allears:

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Bill Leak:

In a surprise press conference Barack Obama stepped down as premier of New South Wales.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

King Possum III fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 19, 2017

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Good lord you're getting somehow worse at this.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Welcome to...

First off: no, this isn't a new thing I'm doing. However, considering that this is the last day of Obama's presidency and all, I thought it'd be appropriate to cover cartoons from his inauguration. Think of it as the epilogue to my 2008 retrospective.

Passing the Torch

A
I love the subtle "seven years." Hey Asay, what happened during that one year?

B
Needless to say, the country was in a thorough clusterfuck after Dubya. Two needless wars, an economic meltdown, and a dramatic increase in executive power...there wasn't really any part of the nation that Bush hadn't cocked up somehow.

C
Jesus.

D
Bush faded into the background at a lightning pace. The GOP knew he wrecked the country and, a more grievous sin, he caused them to the lose the presidency to a black man.

E
I'd be remiss not to include this one. It's by far the most remembered of the "Goodbye Bush" cartoons in this thread, and the first image hit I get for "jrrose." It's also kinda correct in a very dark, foreboding way, as Trump is making Dubya seem better by comparison.

One cartoon that I couldn't find, one I remember reading in the paper at the time, was one of Bush talking to Obama in the same room as two sleeping kids (probably labelled "USA" or something), with the sad-faced Bush telling Obama "keep them safe" as he handed off whatever symbol for presidential power was being used (a torch, I imagine). I thought it was a Ramirez, but all archives of his up to that date have shown nothing.

The Inauguration

Stantis was in love with his God caricature carrying the little history book. Hillary didn't get the same treatment when she took the nomination last year.

The media loves Obama!

The oath was flubbed during the inauguration. It was actually Roberts' slip, but some people took potshots at Obama regardless. Even more fringe characters claimed it meant Obama's presidency was illegitimate...because getting the oath right is a requirement for office, or something?

Later Obama would just retake the oath in private. "Obama meets nation's problems as monsters" was a common theme for cartoonists.

Allie was very upset that Obama didn't fix the economy on his first day in office.

Purple lips from the start.

These types of cartoons were popular, and then the cartoonist would proceed to be racist for the next eight years.

Payne didn't let the inauguration stop him from reminding us that it was cold in January.

Speaking of which, I love this incredibly stupid cartoon.

Other Bullshit

Z
Pro-life cartoons came out fiercely around this time as Obama opened the blood gates.

X
People got a bit absorbed into the whole "firsts" thing.

Y
I don't even know.

W
MEDIA

V

U
He's...just making sure.

V
While Hillary lost the primary, Republicans were still anguished over her selection as Secretary of State. Don't worry guys: you'll finally defeat her in eight years!

And that's that. There's more, of course (and it is always worse), but that should cover most of it. It was a bit muddled because of things like the Blago scandal and cartoonists projecting their fears onto Obama (a looooot of Guantanamo cartoons, which is depressingly ironic now). Like I said, this is just a one-shot thing since it does technically conclude the whole 2008 election. Again, thanks for reading all these, and best of luck making it through the next four years.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Shugojin posted:

Good lord you're getting somehow worse at this.

Worse, or better? :allears:

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Look who doesn't know the difference between a pardon and a commutation.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Pants Donkey posted:

Speaking of which, I love this incredibly stupid cartoon.
Oh my god, this is amazing.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

Z
Pro-life cartoons came out fiercely around this time as Obama opened the blood gates.

U
He's...just making sure.

I love hate these talking fetus cartoons. I had no idea a fetus could think, feel, and crack witty quips!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I love hate these talking fetus cartoons. I had no idea a fetus could think, feel, and crack witty quips!

Why arnt there more black eyed no functional organ fetus comics? Yknow? when a fetus would actually be aborted.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Here have another

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

I'm going to pretend all of these were Ramirezes, and so nothing important was lost.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Pants Donkey posted:

U
He's...just making sure.

Oh my god he's not even president yet and the propaganda concerning him is already straddling the line between parody and IRL lunacy

Though I guess at this point the machine already had plenty of time to spin up the craziness.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

Here have another

Ahh, 70den. He was always so enamored with his own halfwit wordplay. Remember "Baltimoron"?

And now he's dead.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Even a global image-hosting nexus infested with hot memes thinks King Possum III posts too much junk. drat.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Pants Donkey posted:

One cartoon that I couldn't find, one I remember reading in the paper at the time, was one of Bush talking to Obama in the same room as two sleeping kids (probably labelled "USA" or something), with the sad-faced Bush telling Obama "keep them safe" as he handed off whatever symbol for presidential power was being used (a torch, I imagine). I thought it was a Ramirez, but all archives of his up to that date have shown nothing.

You win!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I always imagine a cartoon Michelle Obama just out of frame in these cartoons, honking the car horn and shouting at Barack to hurry up so they can finally get the gently caress out of the garbage fire that is national politics.

• Locked thread