Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Oh, my apologies for that. Also guy you can't take the blame, only I can take the blame because I typed it.

And despite my sarcastic undertone everything that sounded like a joke is true, and I did actually find Jesus. But just because I follow Jesus now doesn't mean I'm gonna give up my sense of humour and take religion super seriously. I just want to bring good and smiles into the world, I'm sorry if that Jewish thing was crossing the line. Actually, it was crossing the line.

Can we get back to talking about stuff jesus did? What happened with the fig? I guess I'm in the doghouse now and will probably just have to google it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

nooooooow were getting somewhere! gently caress bankers (jews?), and what was the deal with fig trees?

I mean jews are typically greedy as hell, so greedy that they wouldnt accept Jesus, because they wanted a Messiah who came and sucked their dicks, and Jesus was like, naw, I'm the loving Messiah, I ain't sucking poo poo. Greedy, selfish motherfuckers

You know who else was Jewish? Jeeeeeeeesus.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paladinus posted:

You know who else was Jewish? Jeeeeeeeesus.

you know who wasn't? satAAAAAAAAAn

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Deeds of Jesus, psssh. What I want to know is: Deeds of God? Does God act in the world? How so? Does God respond to prayer? Sure doesn't seem like it! What's the function of prayer-- what, in other words, is God's foreign policy?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

WerrWaaa posted:

Deeds of Jesus, psssh. What I want to know is: Deeds of God? Does God act in the world? How so? Does God respond to prayer? Sure doesn't seem like it! What's the function of prayer-- what, in other words, is God's foreign policy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Municipal_disinvestment

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Wunderbar

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

WerrWaaa posted:

Jesus is actually God.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

The Whole Triune God In The Present Tense

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

WerrWaaa posted:

The Whole Triune God In The Present Tense
foreverial triune god, true god from true god and loving it

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I get that you want a more feminine name, but this is like if one of the Catholic posters changed her username to Mary Queen of Heaven

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i could see Metternich doing that, but only because of what i believe about bavarians

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

pidan posted:

I get that you want a more feminine name, but this is like if one of the Catholic posters changed her username to Mary Queen of Heaven

no that'd be changing it to jibo kannon

or eshinni i think both work as jokes about buddhist/jodo shinshu equivalents of mary queen of heaven

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
at least my avatar's better!

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

HEY GAIL posted:

i could see Metternich doing that, but only because of what i believe about bavarians

dont tempt me

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Senju Kannon posted:

Hold up, are you Mo Tzu, or whats going on :confused:

Caufman
May 7, 2007

WerrWaaa posted:

Prayer is much more about our foreign policy to God than the other way around. It is the stand we take towards the ultimate reality, inquisitive or hostile or doubtful or illuminated or what have you. The Psalms are good examples of the diversity of a mortal bringing as much honesty as possible before the almighty.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Dutch clothing brand Byborre has collaborated with the Dominican Order of Preachers to create an updated unisex version of the friar's habit.

Oh God why :negative:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
This is super Dutch.
But also in 500 years people will look at those by then antiquated habits with reverence, if Dominicans actually start using them.

Senju Kannon posted:

I disagree!

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jan 19, 2017

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tias posted:

Hold up, are you Mo Tzu, or whats going on :confused:

yep

click the question mark for proof!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

that looks like the world's least fashionable lab coat

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Caufman posted:

Prayer is much more about our foreign policy to God than the other way around. It is the stand we take towards the ultimate reality, inquisitive or hostile or doubtful or illuminated or what have you. The Psalms are good examples of the diversity of a mortal bringing as much honesty as possible before the almighty.

Well doesn't that just sort of punt the question? "God doesn't respond to prayer because it's really about our attitudes..." sounds like God doesn't answer prayers and we're coming upon with excuses to keep on believing. Knock and it shall be opened, ask and ye shall reveive, etc.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I love it and I want three.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Looks good but makes me think Pakistani hipster doctor rather than monk. Also the last picture is weirdly erotic.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

pidan posted:

Looks good but makes me think Pakistani hipster doctor rather than monk. Also the last picture is weirdly erotic.

if you're robert shore-goss maybe

i shouldn't make fun he offered to ordain me. also lady gaga and i have no idea what that says about any of us

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

WerrWaaa posted:

Well doesn't that just sort of punt the question? "God doesn't respond to prayer because it's really about our attitudes..." sounds like God doesn't answer prayers and we're coming upon with excuses to keep on believing. Knock and it shall be opened, ask and ye shall reveive, etc.

Maybe human desires are so disharmonic that making sure we all exist and play by the same rules is all He can do without stepping on someone else's toes.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
God answers every prayer.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Paladinus posted:

God answers every prayer.

... but sometimes the answer is "no"

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Senju Kannon posted:

yep

click the question mark for proof!

Weeabuddhist

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hoover Dam posted:

Weeabuddhist

I'm reading this on break during my Japanese class

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Not to bring politics into this too much but I figured this is better thread than USPol, which I don't even want to look inside of:

Cracked did an article today about Trump's religiousness or lack of it. Now, I've read Cracked for years and I know it's a mixed bag of poorly researched lists and actually researched articles (to simplify). Does this article have any merit? I can't tell since on one hand it reads like those untrustworthy lists but on the other hand it's facts seem interesting in the Chinese curse way.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Valiantman posted:

Not to bring politics into this too much but I figured this is better thread than USPol, which I don't even want to look inside of:

Cracked did an article today about Trump's religiousness or lack of it. Now, I've read Cracked for years and I know it's a mixed bag of poorly researched lists and actually researched articles (to simplify). Does this article have any merit? I can't tell since on one hand it reads like those untrustworthy lists but on the other hand it's facts seem interesting in the Chinese curse way.

The only thing that's untrue is that the allegation that evangelicals voted for Trump because they believe his wealth signified that he was favored by God. While that would be the logical conclusion of the Prosperity Gospel, I rarely see anyone ever take it there; at its roots it's an entirely egocentric movement, its adherents believe in it because they want God to give THEM stuff.

e: On another note, does anyone have any book recommendations comparing Catholicism and Orthodoxy. All I know is "gently caress you pope and augustine"

The Phlegmatist fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 19, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hoover Dam posted:

Weeabuddhist
this needs to be her text

and i kinda like the new robes...

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

HEY GAIL posted:

and i kinda like the new robes...

A bit too "Assassins Creed" for me. I think the older robes look better, but then I do like most robes.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

So, tangentially related to politics... apparently there are socks with Our Lady of Guadalupe on them?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

zonohedron posted:

So, tangentially related to politics... apparently there are socks with Our Lady of Guadalupe on them?

turns out if the fumie were made of cotton it would have been no problem

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

zonohedron posted:

there is everything with Our Lady Of Guadalupe on them, and if you know hispanic people you'll see all of it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

it's kind of sad that I go to a 50% hispanic parish and the first thing i thought of was Benny's pistol in New Vegas

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Phlegmatist posted:

e: On another note, does anyone have any book recommendations comparing Catholicism and Orthodoxy. All I know is "gently caress you pope and augustine"
Aristotle East and West is good

Caufman
May 7, 2007

WerrWaaa posted:

I get where you're coming from. Please let me ask what do you mean that twice now you've said God doesn't answer prayers. Is there a prayer of yours that God has not answered?

It is good to remember the 7th chapter of Matthew's Gospel. We should be able ask and receive, knock and have the door opened. But in the same chapter Jesus says to go through the narrow door. There are many doors to knock on in life, and the big obvious doors always gets knocked on sooner or later. But it is only the narrow door that will open, and behind it is the hidden god.

God is love, and our salvation is in love and through love. But that would be just another pointless string of charming words that Jesus exactly warns against if my life doesn't reflect any amount of that redemptive love. The narrow door will be tighter that the Amigara Fault, because it is meant only for your spirit. If I do not love myself and my family, then who will? If I do not love my neighbor and the stranger, then who will?

I do commend your doubts, though, because many things regarded as God are idols and do not answer prayers or lead to salvation, and people will come up with excuses to believe these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

• Locked thread