Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

The episode of comedy bang bang that gilbert was on was just fantastic. I gotta go see if it was in the last six months before it disappears down the memory hole.

e: oof february. This year sucked and also flew by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beeman
May 7, 2008

scott cracking him up with the 9 and 11 joke was my fave part

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I don't remember that part. And I never will again. I just remember laughing a lot. Was that the one where you were suckin' and fuckin' your way up the east coast?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Gilbert just immediately diving into Bill Cosby rape jokes was hilarious.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The theme of his podcast is exactly something I'd want to listen to, and I don't hate him or anything, but I just haven't bothered checking in yet.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It's good every now and again, but it's made by the guest. Frank Santopadre is an excellent foil to Gilbert (well researched, polite, asks solid questions), and Gil never ever lets a joke go.

The Steve Buscemi episode is particularly good, but it's not Earwolf, it's Sideshow, so no memory hole.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Pup and Mum.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Golden Bee posted:

The Steve Buscemi episode is particularly good, but it's not Earwolf, it's Sideshow, so no memory hole.

Oh my god. This is fantastic. Out of nowhere Steve Buscemi starts screeching Gilbert Gottfried stand up bits from the 80s.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
So what exactly is In Your Dreams? From the description on the site and all the early ads it sounded like an awful dream analysis show in the vein of Beautiful/Anonymous. But on more recent ads it sounds like it might be an improv comedy podcast? Or is it a hybrid of the two?

Because Gethard is a great comic and improviser, but hearing people try to analyze dreams might be the least interesting subject in the world to me. Unless Earwolf gets a podcast where people talk about the time they swear they saw a ghost, that might win out.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah I haven't listened but I saw someone say on the earwolf reddit that the dream analysis thing is a bit and gary richardson is a comedian (and I guess there's like an arc where they gradually realise he's a fraud or something)

I didn't get that at all from those early ads I heard though so I thought the same thing as you.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I just gave the Gilbert show a try and really enjoyed it. The Ira Glass episode was really fun. I was going to say that the cohost is really great as well.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

n8r posted:

I just gave the Gilbert show a try and really enjoyed it. The Ira Glass episode was really fun. I was going to say that the cohost is really great as well.

Yeah I'm liking it a lot. At the very least I'll be grateful to it forever for introducing me to The Paul Lynde Halloween Special. What a strange loving shitshow.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Holy poo poo there is a chevy chase episode. Listening now...

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I Was There Too is back!!!

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

This has probably been discussed before, but I was wondering why we don't seem to get as many James Adomian podcast appearances and CBB characters as we used to. So I checked his twitter for the first time in a while and remembered "oh yeah he's kind of a dick".

His bio reads:
"Renowned Homo-American. Noted and forgotten in standup, podcasts, cartoons. @TrumpvsBernie album out now! #lgbt4bernie"

That's such a strange and bitter line to put in your own bio.. Then the most recent tweet is apparently continuing his years long, weirdly personal beef with the loving AV Club over god knows what:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JAdomian/status/821905814000697344

Pretty much the rest of his posts from the last couple days are: simultaneous arguments with about 10 random twitter trolls on Chelsea Manning; retweets of Patton Oswalt, Jane Sanders, etc.; and angry unacknowledged rebuttals to Paul Ryan, Debbie Wasserman Schulz, etc.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JAdomian/status/821564127168569345

I heard him on Chapo a couple times recently and he fit in great there but I bet in any other environment he's just a pain to deal with. Besser seems pretty similar so it makes total sense that he also got in a death feud with a site that recaps and assigns a letter grade to WWE SmackDown every week.

It blows because I've listened to JA's CBB appearances - Leykis, Hitchens, Merrill Schindler, etc. - so many times and maybe it's just me, but for me there really is no one funnier (except Andy Daly). His characters are so detailed and always start off with a high brow concept that gets steadily more lowbrow.

Also I don't know if he's retiring Bernie or what but it seems like now would be an important time to keep that character and his message out there. I'm sure he's out there touring and the BvT album only came out a couple months ago, but I watched the Fusion 'Trump vs. Bernie' debate show a couple days ago and it's just weird and dated now. Still, the last 5 minutes when him and Atamanuik get sincere are really powerful (and sad! in hindsight).

It's clear that I've now spent way too much time thinking about this so in conclusion: I don't care if Adomian is kind of a tool, he's still brilliantly funny and he should be on CBB and other podcasts more, and on twitter and reading Orwell less. Also make a sequel to: http://www.earwolf.com/episode/the-tom-leykis-radio-program/

Side note for any sportos out there: "Is Chelsea Manning a traitor" should become the new "Is Joe Flacco elite?"

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Smackdown has been really good since the brand split. I give it an A-.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Unmerciful posted:

This has probably been discussed before, but I was wondering why we don't seem to get as many James Adomian podcast appearances and CBB characters as we used to.

I thought he just moved to New York and couldn't be on the show as much.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

piratepilates posted:

I thought he just moved to New York and couldn't be on the show as much.

if you could write this out in six or seven long paragraphs i might be able to get behind this theory. until then, gonna have to go with the insane guy

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Unmerciful posted:

It's clear that I've now spent way too much time thinking about this so in conclusion: I don't care if Adomian is kind of a tool, he's still brilliantly funny and he should be on CBB and other podcasts more, and on twitter and reading Orwell less. Also make a sequel to: http://www.earwolf.com/episode/the-tom-leykis-radio-program/

"I don't care if monkey is a tool, dance for me on my favorite podcast!" is exactly the reason he's barely doing CBB anymore dude, he posted on twitter a while back about not wanting to define his career by character appearances that get picked apart by every shithead in the comments sections

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I do think it's interesting that he's never been on Never Not Funny though. I get the feeling he and Jimmy Pardo don't quite get along

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
Jimmy has been yelling at Bernie Sanders for nigh on two years so I wonder why

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Paul Sheer on HDTGM posted a short episode regarding the paywall. It's mostly toeing the line and supporting Howl and the paywall (and also apologizing for the poor way it was handled but it sounds like they got some minor concessions. Their best ofs will always be free and up. The free eps will go back a year instead of 6 months and there will be 25 rotating free past episodes.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I think Adomian's the best.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Adomian is a highly skilled comic but can be a real Grumpy Gus sometimes

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
He's fine but I lost a lot of respect for him (he cares, I know) when he got really mad SNL didn't hire him to play bernie sanders. Also in general I don't like endlessly repeating continuity heavy characters so... It's ok.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Work Friend Keven posted:

He's fine but I lost a lot of respect for him (he cares, I know) when he got really mad SNL didn't hire him to play bernie sanders. Also in general I don't like endlessly repeating continuity heavy characters so... It's ok.

yea I like him and all but I knew he was loving nuts when he went on a multi-day meltdown because SNL didn't come begging to him him to play bernie, everything since has just been noise.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I must have missed that. Dude can feel frustrated they went for larry david. Larry david feels like the easy joke. Ataumatik also complained about SNL doing his gyna bit. SNL sucks though so I hope they feel solace in knowing not being on SNL is its own silver lining.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Krinkle posted:

I must have missed that. Dude can feel frustrated they went for larry david. Larry david feels like the easy joke. Ataumatik also complained about SNL doing his gyna bit. SNL sucks though so I hope they feel solace in knowing not being on SNL is its own silver lining.

Easy joke or not, having Larry David do Bernie was obviously the right call from any perspective other than wanting to use the platform to help less famous comedians establish themselves. I totally understand why Adomian was upset, but I don't know how anyone else can blame SNL, especially since it was never going to be a part they'd need someone permanent to fill. Now that Trump seems to be around to stay, I think there's more of a case to be made that they should pick someone else to play him though.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Also in regards to him not being on podcasts a lot he also was traveling a lot doing the Bernie vs Trump show live a bit too. So he's still been busy.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Sinteres posted:

Easy joke or not, having Larry David do Bernie was obviously the right call from any perspective other than wanting to use the platform to help less famous comedians establish themselves. I totally understand why Adomian was upset, but I don't know how anyone else can blame SNL, especially since it was never going to be a part they'd need someone permanent to fill. Now that Trump seems to be around to stay, I think there's more of a case to be made that they should pick someone else to play him though.
Darrell Hammond best Trump

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

adomian should have been cast on snl like eight years ago so a lot of that is probably built up resentment

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Adomian's impression of Bernie Sanders is based on only two things: 1) the voice (which, c'mon, is a pretty easy voice to do) and 2) the dude likes to quote statistics. That's the extent of it. Wow, comedy gold right there. It's just like his Gary Busey (oh boy, time for a shitload of bad acronyms!).

I do still enjoy his Leykis and Shindler, even though those impressions are equally one-note.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

Adomian's impression of Bernie Sanders is based on only two things: 1) the voice (which, c'mon, is a pretty easy voice to do) and 2) the dude likes to quote statistics. That's the extent of it. Wow, comedy gold right there. It's just like his Gary Busey (oh boy, time for a shitload of bad acronyms!).

I do still enjoy his Leykis and Shindler, even though those impressions are equally one-note.

He's great at voices, and a funny guy, but yeah I think when people credit his characters with a lot of depth they're being generous.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

soggybagel posted:

Also in regards to him not being on podcasts a lot he also was traveling a lot doing the Bernie vs Trump show live a bit too. So he's still been busy.

He also gave this explanation: https://twitter.com/jadomian/status/687673929826041856

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

this is true of a lot of comedians who aren't already on tv

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I listened to his album when it was free on howl or whatever. What more can I do, James..

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Isn't the point of going on podcasts to promote the things you do outside of podcasts? Don't think it's the listeners faults.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

feedmyleg posted:

Isn't the point of going on podcasts to promote the things you do outside of podcasts? Don't think it's the listeners faults.

Have podcasts have been around long enough for comedians to be able to tell whether a random one-off or occasional appearance (as opposed to being a host of a podcast that really takes off) actually makes a difference IRL? I often wonder how much plugs on CBB and other kinda-big shows actually translate to ticket or album sales for the guests.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Podcast appearances are free so as a working comic, you shouldn't be expected to drop your other poo poo and do them. And it's not like CBB isn't prebooked; even if you're at the studios and Scott's best friend, the walk-in potential is "8 minutes of Jarls."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
To be honest, the only thing I know about James Adomian apart from his podcast appearances is that he played the sheriff of Nottingham on an episode of The Meltdown with Jonah and Kumail.

It was really funny.