Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Every time I dream of photography I get stuck in an anxiety-loop of not being able to load film or operate my camera. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

burzum karaoke posted:

Every time I dream of photography I get stuck in an anxiety-loop of not being able to load film or operate my camera. :(

I had this dream last night. I spotted an amazing picture, and I was loading what I thought was 120, and then the frames looked really small, and then I figured out that it was 35mm in 120mm frames (?!), and there was a dude over my shoulder trying to tell me what to do and I kept loving it up and just couldnt get it right and it was so stressful.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
https://twitter.com/mibuki3939/status/813722462986768384

insideoutside
Jan 27, 2009
Is he not being paid to pull up his own pants?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

insideoutside posted:

Is he not being paid to pull up his own pants?

People tell me that at work all the time.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
The portfolio site thread is archived and I don't think it's worth starting a new one, but I added the initial content to my new photo-blog. Mostly it's an excuse for me to talk about my collection of Soviet cameras but hopefully it will become more of a resource for me to point potential collaborators at and to showcase how terrible my photos are. I'd appreciate any feedback (telling me to take better pictures won't work however) and maybe people might be interested to read some hands-on impressions of various analogue cameras. Gear pages are here.

I have some more sample images from some of the cameras to post yet and I might do some video content too, talking about particular items.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
A friend of mine in his 60s recently started shooting 4x5, so I've been introduced to the "amazing" world of greybeard LF facebook groups. I know there was a goon who wound up receiving a series of ranting emails from Steve Icanberry after daring to ask him a question about one of his cameras. Thanks to you, he's had to go to gofundme for help!

An American Businessman posted:

The last six months I have had an unprecedented amount of potential customers suddenly back out of a deal to purchase a lightweight 4x5 format rangefinder camera, usually I sell in excess of 20 of these cameras on an annual basis, this year only 7 sold so far.

How dare you not make 4x5 conversions of polaroids a completely viable business for a man! :argh: And he's so reasonable too! :argh:

An American Businessman posted:

Now that this country is under new leadership it is hoped that funds will circulate more freely like they used to and my situation will improve in the future.

But at least Trump will make it all better!

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Shellman posted:

A friend of mine in his 60s recently started shooting 4x5, so I've been introduced to the "amazing" world of greybeard LF facebook groups. I know there was a goon who wound up receiving a series of ranting emails from Steve Icanberry after daring to ask him a question about one of his cameras. Thanks to you, he's had to go to gofundme for help!

Beware, though: he probably feels that by looking at his GoFundMe page, you're creating a legally-binding obligation to help him out, and if he can ever get a hold of your email address, he'll send you a monthly email about it.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I like how he mentions he's a veteran in the first sentence.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

bobmarleysghost posted:

I like how he mentions he's a veteran in the first sentence.

steve icanberry fought to defend are freedoms we should respect that and buy a bunch of 4x5s

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
I have a photo in the Analogue Portrait Exhibition as part of Month of Photography, Los Angeles.
The shot is here in the Peoples' Choice gallery, feel free to hit like.
https://www.facebook.com/MOPLA/photos/a.1170358706347436.1073741839.158301224219861/1170359173014056/?type=3&theater

I'm thinking of going down to LA for the opening on Sunday the 22nd. Are there any LA Dorkroomers who have been taking in the MOPLA shows?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

McMadCow posted:

I have a photo in the Analogue Portrait Exhibition as part of Month of Photography, Los Angeles.
The shot is here in the Peoples' Choice gallery, feel free to hit like.
https://www.facebook.com/MOPLA/photos/a.1170358706347436.1073741839.158301224219861/1170359173014056/?type=3&theater

I'm thinking of going down to LA for the opening on Sunday the 22nd. Are there any LA Dorkroomers who have been taking in the MOPLA shows?

Nice shot, nice result for you. Wish I could be there for the opening.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

torgeaux posted:

Nice shot, nice result for you. Wish I could be there for the opening.

Thanks! I'm trying to push the juried exhibition thing pretty hard in the New Year, and that was some great news to start off. I live in San Fran, but I'm thinking of making the drive down south if MY GIRLFRIEND and I can make a day or two work.

insideoutside
Jan 27, 2009
Guess I'm done ordering from B&H.

quote:

Dear customer,

B&H is expanding its distribution network to better serve our customers and will soon operate a fulfillment center in the state of New Jersey.

Our new facility will allow us to process and ship your orders faster; it also means that we will begin collecting sales tax on orders shipped to New Jersey addresses, starting on February 1st.

We wanted you to be among the first to know, since our records indicate that you’ve used a NJ shipping address in the past.

If you have any questions about taxes, or if you are a tax exempt entity and would like to set up your tax exemption with us, please contact our tax department:

B&H Photo Tax Department
taxdept@bhphoto.com
(212) 444 5031 or
(800) 259 8941

Just kidding, after a friend told me that they made minorities use a different bathroom i stopped ordering from them. But I had considered, in a pinch, getting the odd this and that from them.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

insideoutside posted:

Just kidding, after a friend told me that they made minorities use a different bathroom i stopped ordering from them. But I had considered, in a pinch, getting the odd this and that from them.

Adorama has become my go to. Not just because of the great sale I got on the XT2.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

insideoutside posted:

Just kidding, after a friend told me that they made minorities use a different bathroom i stopped ordering from them.

Come again

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Karl Barks posted:

Come again

Yeah I'd like to hear about this too because uhhhh :stare:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/29/us/bh-photo-lawsuit/

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

insideoutside posted:

Hassids: just as racist as anyone else!

insideoutside
Jan 27, 2009
I was curious if it is good old fashioned racism or even more old fashioned racism based on religious beliefs. I don't know enough about Orthodox Judaism to guess which kind of racism it is.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

NICE!

The only reason I use them sometimes over Amazon is because they don't charge sales tax. Guess I'll just order from another NY based camera store.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

akadajet posted:

NICE!

The only reason I use them sometimes over Amazon is because they don't charge sales tax. Guess I'll just order from another NY based camera store.

I'm not sure Adorama is much better. http://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/2015/02/workers_at_elizabeth_warehouse_claim_they_were_fir.html

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sucks to be sure, but if you want to boycott businesses that fire people for unionizing, you might as well stop buying anything from any store in the US.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Sucks to be sure, but if you want to boycott businesses that fire people for unionizing, you might as well stop buying anything from any store in the US.

I dunno, I haven't had much trouble buying my stuff (other than film) from companies that operate ethically. Try harder. Also: https://www.nlrb.gov/rights-we-protect/whats-law/employees/i-am-not-represented-union/your-rights-during-union-organizing

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

So I have been looking to enter some of my amazing art into competitions, but most of the ones I had seen, seem to be just cheap scams. "Pay us 35 bucks and you might be featured in our lovely magazine, or earn $500 gift certificate to McDonalds". I dont need an ego boost that badly.
Anyone can recommend places I should look into to have my amazing photographic fine art pieces shown to people?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Putrid Grin posted:

Anyone can recommend places I should look into to have my amazing photographic fine art pieces shown to people?

I've entered and been accepted to several exhibitions through SPE:
https://www.spenational.org/resources/calls-for-entry

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Am I hallucinating or did Facebook recently entirely disable any embedded gif functionality whatsoever? I seem to remember a half assed click to play gif from external website type thing but if it still exists I can't figure out how to activate it. My Nishika demands blood.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Which one of you was the hand model for this ad?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

At least the nails are clipped.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

And if you order their upgraded model you might be able to spot the Apollo landings!

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I worked at that Adorama warehouse for 2 months, it was loving awful. Dingy, gross warehouse, they keep all the windows sealed shut because of worries of theft, but the air circulation sucks so it's brutal in the summer.

insideoutside posted:

I was curious if it is good old fashioned racism or even more old fashioned racism based on religious beliefs. I don't know enough about Orthodox Judaism to guess which kind of racism it is.

It's not really overt racism, it's more like if you're outside the tribe you're not trustworthy. There's no upward mobility for workers, but somehow these Orthodox jewish people who know nothing about cameras are somehow managers, and there's at least 2-3 'managers' for every worker. They only begrudgingly put in a 'women's bathroom' to comply with basic workplace standards, but it quickly became the Management Only bathroom because "we try not to hire women" :stare: Their entire MO was absolute bare minimum compliance with the law.

They had a union vote shortly before I got there, and Adorama hired a union breaking corporate consulting company, who of course did everything they could to mediate, then broke up the secret vote along skilled/unskilled and racial lines, as anyone who's ever read a book on union organize would expect.

The mediation was hilarious and you could see the double cross coming a mile away, it was insane to watch. Like they had shop representatives meet with the consultants, and came up with a list of things to implement, like better conditions, better workstations, or like relaxing the rule that vacation days could only be used on Jewish holidays. So the consultants promised that these things would be implemented if they didn't vote to unionize. The vote failed and suddenly the response is 'we're working on it, it's complicated, lawyers, etc.'

They almost didn't pull it off though. The shop rep guy told me later, the consulting company sent a woman to work with them. He said the senior management, hardcore Orthodox guys, were like visibly upset that a woman was speaking to them as equals. In Orthodox/Hasidic culture women are second class citizens. I worked an Orthodox wedding a few weeks ago, it's unsettling to witness.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I was at my local camera store today to pick up some film and there were two ladies ahead of me in the queue waiting to have their pictures transferred off their little digital compact cameras onto a CD. The shop has a kiosk thing that you cam plug a USB cable or an SD card into and preview your pictures then print them but these ladies didn't want prints, they just wanted to have the pictures on CD 'so that they could see them on the computer'. After they'd gone, I asked about it and apparently this service makes up a massive portion of their daily take. Because old people can use a CD drive but not a USB port apparently.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Helen Highwater posted:

I was at my local camera store today to pick up some film and there were two ladies ahead of me in the queue waiting to have their pictures transferred off their little digital compact cameras onto a CD. The shop has a kiosk thing that you cam plug a USB cable or an SD card into and preview your pictures then print them but these ladies didn't want prints, they just wanted to have the pictures on CD 'so that they could see them on the computer'. After they'd gone, I asked about it and apparently this service makes up a massive portion of their daily take. Because old people can use a CD drive but not a USB port apparently.

It's probably more so the software that tries to install itself and set itself as default when they plug the camera in.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Connecting the camera to the computer is for suckers (with the exception of tethered shooting).

Everyone knows you eject the card and read it directly.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
CDs are widely believed to be a good way to store digital files long-term. Right or wrong, a camera store that's making money off of transfers like that isn't going to discourage it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Connecting the camera to the computer is for suckers (with the exception of tethered shooting).

You can't really do that easily with arthritic and old lovely fingers these days.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Anyone in the Bay Area, I'm giving an artist talk at the Harvey Milk Photo Center this Thursday, 2/9. Stop by and see me make a pretentious rear end of myself!

EDIT: JFC it won't resize. Sorry.
EDIT 2: Correct date.

McMadCow fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 5, 2017

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

I'm prepared to believe that they are using some lovely computer from the 1990s that doesn't have a card reader but I can't imagine a computer that has an optical drive but not a USB port. Also I'm pretty sure that any of these lovely point and shoots will be detected automatically by any flavour of Windows as an external drive so you don't even need to gently caress about with whatever software that comes with it.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
usb card readers aren't horrendous. they are faster than transferring from the camera and cost $3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

McMadCow posted:

Anyone in the Bay Area, I'm giving an artist talk at the Harvey Milk Photo Center this Thursday, 2/11. Stop by and see me make a pretentious rear end of myself!

EDIT: JFC it won't resize. Sorry.

Very cool, but I won't be able to make it.
Are you sure about the date? The image says Feb 9, which is Thursday. What's happening on the 11th?