Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I had a load of fun weathering up this Land Raider Armored Proteus, AKA the most World War I tank ever made after World War I:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I love the proteus :3:

Fat lil babby land raider. Mines been great in every game I've taken it. You did a phenomenal job!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
GreenMarine is escalating Seattle’s meta with his friendly triple knight allied detachment. Guess I need to start work on my Vultarax, Lighting Primes, Leviathans, and… ‘Friendmaker’

tallkidwithglasses posted:

So up until yesterday I just assumed a Vigilator was a support officer, but when I was re-reading the red book I realized that they can be the Warlord. I've been having a lot of fun figuring out fun things to do with that- scouting up a stealth'd acid heavy bolter squad into some cover is definitely going to be happening in one of my armies soon.

Anyone else have interesting non-delegatus/non-praetor warlord lists?

I usually take cheaper consuls instead of a praetor. Of these, the Chaplain is my favorite. Great for the points and a solid buff to any squad you shove him into. I like to run him in a big breacher or tactical blob with an attached navigator, but there are a lot of better choices. The Vigilator is another interesting choice. One popular combo is to put him into a large breacher squad and to scout them forward into cover. This is especially powerful for legions like Alpha Legion who can stack infiltrate ontop. You might laugh at this at first, but the gimmick here are x4 grav guns, melta bombs, shrouded, defensive grenades, and penalties for charging the unit. It’s a solid defensive unit in the mid field that is an annoying counter to knights and other high AV deathstars like Spartans. Honorable mention goes to the Centurion with Early Crusade Honors which is just a cheapo HQ that automatically gets one of the best warlord traits.

The other lesser used options are the Forgelord and Siege Breaker. The Forgelord is the better of the two and is probably the most customizable HQ outside of an Admech Magos. He can go up to a 3++, which makes him tanky, and he has access to rad grenades and an extra power axe attack which means he’s good in assault. On the flip side, he has some decent ranged and support options. He’s probably a good candidate for a biker lord or as a support HQ camping out in your backfield or inside a transport repairing it as it drives closer.

The Siege Breaker is pretty weak. Besides phosphex bombs all he brings to the table is tank hunters, but only for heavy weapons. Phosphex medusas aren’t that great. Most people take him as a tax for unlocking phosphex thud guns (which are very strong, but you pay for it) or to park inside a heavy support squad. For Iron Warriors specifically this guy is basically designed to camp out inside a Siege Tyrant squad.

In general I dislike the support officer rule especially in smaller games. If I could house rule it away I would. All the options should be leaders, but not all of them should allow you to take a ROW (which is currently the case anyway). For a bit of history people used the Master of Signal and Moritat waaay to much so FW just went and arbitrarily threw this rule into an FAQ and we’ve had it ever since.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

tallkidwithglasses posted:

So up until yesterday I just assumed a Vigilator was a support officer, but when I was re-reading the red book I realized that they can be the Warlord. I've been having a lot of fun figuring out fun things to do with that- scouting up a stealth'd acid heavy bolter squad into some cover is definitely going to be happening in one of my armies soon.

Anyone else have interesting non-delegatus/non-praetor warlord lists?

I ran two vigilators in a game last week. My opponent wasn't very happy about me getting first blood on his contemptor before the game even started. Tank hunter sabotage attacks from the Alpha Legion mutable tactic :rms:

I'm going to test drive an HQ deathstar tongiht. Going Praetor with paragon blade, full command squad with charnabal sabers, forgelord with rad grenades, chaplain, and apothecary in a phobos. Seems like it might do great things, but in reality the phobos will probably immobilize itself on a sign post turn 1, then the unit will get cut down as they run across the field.

Ghazk fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 19, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm a big fan of the Forge Lord consul. They're expensive, but you can really load up on utility options and make a complete rear end in a top hat. Playing Dark Angels as I do even adds some additional tools.

Forge Lord - Artificer armor and servo arm
* Terranic Greatsword - S6 AP3, Instant Death, Two-Handed
* Boarding shield - counts as defensive grenades in addition to the invulnerable save
* Familiar - boosts invulnerable save to 5++ at ranged, 4++ in melee
* Rad grenades - -1T on enemy units during the first round of close combat
* Stasis grenade combi-weapon - Makes enemies -1WS/-1I when it hits
* Augury Scanner - gently caress deep strikers and infiltrators
* Melta bombs

All that gear adds up to 160 points and I don't necessarily take all of it every game, but that's a heap of overlapping bullshit. If he can charge (and hit with the stasis grenade), that enemy unit, assuming they're marines, is at WS3 T3 I3. If he gets charged, enemy units don't get +1 attack and they're T3 just because. I don't know why the boarding shield's effect carries over to his whole unit, but those are the rules for defensive grenades so may as well use them. Also, while the greatsword is "only" AP3, it can still murder a character with a lucky hit and can cut down most monstrous creatures like they're nothing. He's even got a bonus powerfist attack from the servo arm just in case. My model's magnetized to swap the sword for a thunder hammer if I feel the need.

:pcgaming:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
sorry for the delay wrt the typhon - i was helping my grandmother get settled in her new house and got sidetracked. winner at some point today!

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
That's a weird way to explain you were busy with FF14

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
FINE.

I :toxx: both knights for the 2017 31st Dec goal.

They'll be done long before then. Everything is fine.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Was mulling this over in the Slack but I think a 2k Robit list is in my near future and a decent potential ally for my in-progress DG.

I thinking 2 x Thallax (2x lightning, 1 x Photon) and 2 x Castellax (one set with darkfires) in the troop slots, but I'm not sure what other robit goodness goes well with this start. I really like the look of Thanatars and Vorax so I'm leaning that way, maybe Vulturax too but I'm not sure how to equip them. My local group plays pretty hard lists so a little cheese is fine.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I've only had a couple games with my Mech but:

- Not sure special weapon options are needed on the Thallax.
- Lots of Castellax are great. They will soak up a ton of fire. However, they don't hit as hard as you might expect.
- Consider Ursurax, they are incredibly strong in assault. You will not be unhappy with 5 or 6 in a unit.
- Thanatar with the plasma volley has trouble hitting, but when he hits he hits hard. However, beware of danger close volleys. If he's not shooting every turn he's probably not getting much done so don't reposition him.
- A 35 point AdSec squad is a pretty good objective holder. Just have them go to ground and weather the storm.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

They rule, but of course no rules.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Pretty sure at one point I will buy that £250 bundle as that's basically what I want in a custodes allied force for IF.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
custodes more like cusTARDS

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

winner at some point today!

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

winner at some point today!

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

TKIY posted:

Was mulling this over in the Slack but I think a 2k Robit list is in my near future and a decent potential ally for my in-progress DG.

I thinking 2 x Thallax (2x lightning, 1 x Photon) and 2 x Castellax (one set with darkfires) in the troop slots, but I'm not sure what other robit goodness goes well with this start. I really like the look of Thanatars and Vorax so I'm leaning that way, maybe Vulturax too but I'm not sure how to equip them. My local group plays pretty hard lists so a little cheese is fine.

Kind of what I'm working on now at 3k:

Scoria w/ Pimp Ride
Magos Dominus w/ Scanner, Familiar, Melta Bombs, PSword, Servo Arm, Rad Cleanser

3 x Thallax
3 x Thallax
2 x Castellax w/ Darkfire, Enhanced Array
2 x Castellax w/ Bolters. Enhanced Array

2 x Domitar w/ Frag Grenades

3 x Vorax w/ Corrosive Ammo
2 x Vulturax w/ Blessed Autosimulacra

2 x Thanatar w/ Enhanced Array, Paragon of Metal

That's about 2,970....

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Of course not. Lies are for the filthy savages.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
I was going to go to some inauguration protests, but maybe I'll just riot over the Typhon itt instead.

*riots powerfully*

Bonely
Jan 15, 2017

Beep. Boop. Cuckling.
:siren:Beep. Boop.:siren:

Today is the last day to enter into Skullapaloozaa 2017- this thread [best thread]'s premiere skull [comedy] themed miniature painting and conversion contest. The contest begins tomorrow morning and will wrap up exactly nine weeks later on March 24th at 24:00 PST. There are multiple prizes [resin trinkets], several different awards [forums bans], a host of celebrity judges [drew short straw] , and some plot twist surprises [more comedy]. We will be posting the results of our Iron Warrior Haiku raffle, winner getting their very own Typhon [large resin tank], soon. We hope you’ll join us in having fun with our hobby:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3805534

Remember: A questioning servant is more dangerous than an ignorant heretic [obey]

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the winner of the Typhon is...sriracha! please message me your information and I will send it at some point probably this week maybe.t

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Grats! Better be painted by next new year!

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Mango Polo posted:

They rule, but of course no rules.

:eyepop:

Holy gently caress I want these

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Custodes Dread is almost cool enough to make me want to play good guys.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

I'll probably make a small custodes detachment.

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015

TKIY posted:

Kind of what I'm working on now at 3k:

Scoria w/ Pimp Ride
Magos Dominus w/ Scanner, Familiar, Melta Bombs, PSword, Servo Arm, Rad Cleanser

3 x Thallax
3 x Thallax
2 x Castellax w/ Darkfire, Enhanced Array
2 x Castellax w/ Bolters. Enhanced Array

2 x Domitar w/ Frag Grenades

2 x Vulturax w/ Blessed Autosimulacra

2 x Thanatar w/ Enhanced Array, Paragon of Metal

That's about 2,970....

Lose the Domitars. Domitars are terrible. Way overpriced. Pretty much anything else you could take for those 360pts is a better option.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Aesaar posted:

Lose the Domitars. Domitars are terrible. Way overpriced. Pretty much anything else you could take for those 360pts is a better option.

What unit does Scoria chill with then?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

TKIY posted:

What unit does Scoria chill with then?

Castellax (benefit from T7 majority) or Vorax (can Scout ahead with them, or gamble on outflanking).

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Don't think infantry can normally join monstrous creatures. Praevians are an exception.

Played some more VisV/Lightning Strike last night, got another couple of questions about a situation that came up:
If a model is base to base with a character and other models, can they allocate attacks to the character specifically? As an example, I had a terminator in combat with a seeker sergeant (a Leader) and three other seekers. Would my terminator have been able to attack the sergeant directly? If so, would he be able to Look Out Sir the wounds away?

Additionally, I have a friend who is interested in playing, but he wants to use his existing 40k IG which will probably mean a militia/cult list. Any ideas on how to handle provenances, points costs, and characters? :shepface:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Militia should work fine. Provenances are allowed as currently written since they a big part of how that army works. That said, he can't cherry pick them, and must choose two and stick to using only those two.

As for melee and allocating hits, unless you have precision strike, it's my understanding that your opponent chooses where to place those wounds. There are no challenges.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

Militia should work fine. Provenances are allowed as currently written since they a big part of how that army works. That said, he can't cherry pick them, and must choose two and stick to using only those two.

As for melee and allocating hits, unless you have precision strike, it's my understanding that your opponent chooses where to place those wounds. There are no challenges.
That's how we played it with melee. We just wanted clarification. It was an edge case where I had one solo terminator in combat with four models

The reason I brought up Provenances is that a lot of them are bought as army-wide upgrades through the commander. There's one that's 100 points for the whole army. Makes things kind of awkward and if they're applied like that, would the points come from rank and file? Should the character limit be bumped up because they're so cheap? Maybe with a decrease in the amount of AP leaders generate to compensate? There's a lot of issues with getting that army to work. On the other hand, they can swamp the board with 3 point guardsmen with zealot if they want. I don't know what to do here.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Safety Factor posted:

Don't think infantry can normally join monstrous creatures. Praevians are an exception.

Scoria has a special rule that allows it. I didn't want him with the Castellax because you want Scoria in assault eating Primarchs.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

TKIY posted:

Scoria has a special rule that allows it. I didn't want him with the Castellax because you want Scoria in assault eating Primarchs.

Then chuck him with vorax and use their scout move to get an extra 12 inches up the board buddy. Once you cast right of the beast on a charging unit of vorax who in a cyber list get buffed up to initiative 6 + Scoria in there...... drat it feels good to be the bad guys!

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Sulecrist and I played a ViV campaign with me running militia, and it seemed to work okay....other than on the first mission my leader rolling a penalty that can only be removed if you beat the enemy leader in close combat, and he kept his leader as far away from mine as possible for the rest of the campaign :bahgawd:

Seriously though, Militia work fine, but I would give him some leeway and make him commit to provences after the first game; if he chooses poorly he'd be gimping himself for the rest of the campaign when he's already at a handicap playing militia.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Arven posted:

Sulecrist and I played a ViV campaign with me running militia, and it seemed to work okay....other than on the first mission my leader rolling a penalty that can only be removed if you beat the enemy leader in close combat, and he kept his leader as far away from mine as possible for the rest of the campaign :bahgawd:

Seriously though, Militia work fine, but I would give him some leeway and make him commit to provences after the first game; if he chooses poorly he'd be gimping himself for the rest of the campaign when he's already at a handicap playing militia.
How did y'all handle provenances? I'm just doing one-offs until we get the ruleset ironed out and questions squared away, so committing to them isn't an issue right now. However, I am just trying to figure out how to include them cost-wise. For now, since militia are so goddamned cheap, I'm thinking of just telling my friend to pay the costs of each provenance out of his rank and file budget as if it was a normal army. That will still let him tool up a commander some leaders with his 150 character budget and flood the board if he really wants to. But on top of that, all of the unit weapon upgrades (lasrifles, laslocks, etc.) are costed per unit, not per model so I need to figure out what to do about that. It's weird.

Would you mind posting an example of a list you ran? I'd love to see how y'all broke them down.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I just found another crazy awful FW model to assemble- the kheres assault cannon

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

I just found another crazy awful FW model to assemble- the kheres assault cannon

What. It's crazy easy. Even if you replace the barrels with brass rod.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

How did y'all handle provenances? I'm just doing one-offs until we get the ruleset ironed out and questions squared away, so committing to them isn't an issue right now. However, I am just trying to figure out how to include them cost-wise. For now, since militia are so goddamned cheap, I'm thinking of just telling my friend to pay the costs of each provenance out of his rank and file budget as if it was a normal army. That will still let him tool up a commander some leaders with his 150 character budget and flood the board if he really wants to. But on top of that, all of the unit weapon upgrades (lasrifles, laslocks, etc.) are costed per unit, not per model so I need to figure out what to do about that. It's weird.

Would you mind posting an example of a list you ran? I'd love to see how y'all broke them down.

I think what we decided on for individual unit costs was figure out what the cost would be if you upgraded a whole squad, then divide it by the number of units of what would be a full squad. I still have a notepad document here of one of my early lists because I couldn't do it in battlescribe. The rest are long deleted on my old work computer. The campaign we played was probably two years ago.

code:
Leaders and Heroes
Force Commander -  112 pts
Flak Armor, Charnabal Sabre, Iron Halo, Bolt Pistol, Melta Bombs, Digital laser, Cyber-familiar
Provenances of War: Cyber-Augmetics

Grenadier Sargeant -19 pts
Carapace Armor, Augemented Weapon, Bolt pistol

Rank and File - 349 pts

Grenadier with Melta x2 - 40 (20) pts
Grenadier with Shotgun x7 - 42 (6) pts
Grenadier with Grenade Launcher x1 - 15 pts

Militia with Lascarbine x 15 - 52 (4) pts

Rhino with twin linked bolter x1 -  40 pts

Lascannon Team x2 - 60 (30) pts
Heavy Bolter Team x1 - 25 pts
Autocannon Team x2 50 (25) pts
Heavy Flamer x1 - 25 pts

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Oh yeah, that was an amazingly dumb design.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Is that the one where you've got to align six barrels two at a time into holes on both sides? I feel like I remember doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I don't understand why you're all having problems with the Kheres when you've put together Caestus and Storm Eagles :stare: