Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spellman
May 31, 2011

Finally, a platform I can play Cave Story on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I keep waffling on getting this, so more explain-Nintendo-to-me questions.

Assuming that I don't get a pre-order, as I'm sure most places are sold out, how long (based on earlier Nintendo systems) am I bound to have to wait to get the system? Like, are pre-ordered systems the first manufacturing wave and I'd have to wait 6mo for the next wave, or are pre-orders just for those that must have it day one and after all those are scooped up, there will be systems for stragglers?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
In order to use the user-swapping feature, you'll have to tap your Miibo, a custom-made Amiibo figurine that looks like your avatar. They will retail for $39.99 USD

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
If the NES Mini is a guide about two months.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Assuming that I don't get a pre-order, as I'm sure most places are sold out, how long (based on earlier Nintendo systems) am I bound to have to wait to get the system? Like, are pre-ordered systems the first manufacturing wave and I'd have to wait 6mo for the next wave, or are pre-orders just for those that must have it day one and after all those are scooped up, there will be systems for stragglers?

I'm still waiting to buy a 3DS after they sold out on Black Friday, and the NES Mini sold out before then and is still unavailable. Is it because they've been focusing on manufacturing Switches and thus it won't be a problem for that system, or will they be just as sold out?

Nobody knows!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Someone figured out what the 4th game on Nicalis' Switch is: Hydra Castle Labyrinth.

There doesn't seem to be a trailer for it on YouTube so I hope this speedrun video suffices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqC6KkXjt8g

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Phantasium posted:

I'm still waiting to buy a 3DS after they sold out on Black Friday, and the NES Mini sold out before then and is still unavailable. Is it because they've been focusing on manufacturing Switches and thus it won't be a problem for that system, or will they be just as sold out?

Nobody knows!

Do you mean at the bf sale price? I walked into Walmart and they had several n3dsxl's

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ethanol posted:

Do you mean at the bf sale price? I walked into Walmart and they had several n3dsxl's

You're lucky as poo poo then, the stores around here have been completely empty since BF and getting them ordered online requires using nowinstock.com to find them during the ten minute periods where they've been available.

I mean I could grab a refurbished one from Nintendo but considering I'm trying to replace a system that's already busted I'm going to go with something new first.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Decius posted:

If the NES Mini is a guide about two months.

It's been 2 months since launch and NES mini is still more rare than a unicorn's rear end

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Phantasium posted:

You're lucky as poo poo then, the stores around here have been completely empty since BF and getting them ordered online requires using nowinstock.com to find them during the ten minute periods where they've been available.

I mean I could grab a refurbished one from Nintendo but considering I'm trying to replace a system that's already busted I'm going to go with something new first.

I noticed they were out of stock online everywhere local, but the actual store had them. Did you try just checking Walmart?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Just got my Invite to the Chicago Switch Event!

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Nintendo home consoles including the WiiU got awesome ifixit scores for repairability, by contrast switching the upper display on a (3)ds is guaranteed to gently caress you right the gently caress up

I have never put a screen protector on anything in my life. The only time I've had a screen get scratched is that 3DS screen and it was because of a stupid flaw in the design.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ethanol posted:

I noticed they were out of stock online everywhere local, but the actual store had them. Did you try just checking Walmart?

I've checked everywhere, trust me. I'm tired of checking, in fact. I just want to play Monster Hunter and Boxboy without a system crashing on me.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

ethanol posted:

There have been reports from a couple of 3DS related threads on how most brick and mortar are out of all models of the 3DS.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yeah, the closest I've seen is a 2DS at a Fred Meyer 30 minutes from downtown.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Oh guess I did get lucky then. Only tried one store

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nephzinho posted:

There have been reports from a couple of 3DS related threads on how most brick and mortar are out of all models of the 3DS.

Like it's not even that they're not getting them, I've been watching stock sites to see when they come in, and they maybe have some available for five minutes even for the in-store ones before they sell out again.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Louisgod posted:

sorry you live such a sheltered life at home by yourself surrounded by nobody and have the luxury of not having your stuff touched by other people.

Some of us have kids that love to gently caress poo poo up. The Hori screen on my 3DS has a decent scratch on it thanks to my kiddos that would've permanently marked the system if not for the protector.

Think before you post you turd

you're right, I didn't consider people w/ children, although I suspect most people who buy screen protectors ITT don't have any. still, you're right about that

gj making assumptions about my private life tho, double turd

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Well if you guys wind up in west New Hampshire they have some 3ds's and tax free

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Inspector Grosky vs Dick Gumshoe: Ace Detective confirmed for switch!!!

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Phantasium posted:

Nintendo's refurbs are basically new. You can't go wrong with one.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

MisterBibs posted:

There's no telling. The Wii U was sold out for a month, the Wii was hard to find for 2 years.

I'd bet you could get one by Summer, though.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

On actual Switch news, if you're fed up with the small launch lineup you might want to consider importing some JP launch titles from amazon.co.jp or something

Dragon Quest Heroes 1+2
Puyo Puyo Tetris S

seem cool if you can decipher enough moonrunes to play them. Given the type of games they are, you'll probably get by with Katakana and I strongly assume launch-starved US/EU players will come up with translation guides rather quickly. DQM1/2 is JP-exclusive, Puyo Tetris might ship west at some point but no one knows when. Disgaea 5 is also a JP-launch game but that would require actual Japanese skills

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

isn't Puyo Puyo coming later in the US?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

I said it'll ship west but atm all we know is "2017". Just saying, amazon.jp has started exporting games a while ago and it's actually not much more expensive than buying a full price US game. And for what it's worth, puyo Tetris has been out on PS4/Vita in Japan for like 3 years and never made it over to the West for some reason.

*edit: I just googled and they now say "Q2 2017" for both Switch and PS4

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Yes, "Q2 2017".

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

TFRazorsaw posted:

Yeah, it's coming out in April or May iirc.

e;fb twice

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mill Village posted:

I mean I'm not particularly worried about it so much that I can't wait, apparently people have been slowly getting in those $99 BF 3DS but of course they sell out immediately (and when Walmart gets them they charge $180 for them).

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

you know, come to think of it, the JP and Int'l launches of the Switch combined would actually make for a solid offering. Zelda, Bomberman, Disgaea, Tetris, DQH, Skylanders, Just Dance, 1-2-Bargain Bin and the indie stuff reads much better than just the JP or Int'l launches, respectively

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Katana Gomai posted:

you're right, I didn't consider people w/ children, although I suspect most people who buy screen protectors ITT don't have any. still, you're right about that

gj making assumptions about my private life tho, double turd

am I wrong

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mill Village posted:

Yeah I just got one in the mail today. It's nice.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Katana Gomai posted:

I said it'll ship west but atm all we know is "2017". Just saying, amazon.jp has started exporting games a while ago and it's actually not much more expensive than buying a full price US game. And for what it's worth, puyo Tetris has been out on PS4/Vita in Japan for like 3 years and never made it over to the West for some reason.

*edit: I just googled and they now say "Q2 2017" for both Switch and PS4

It has a date of May 2nd, I've seen somewhere.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
What are the odds this Nintendo app comes to Windows phones? Good thing I never talk to people while playing games anyways.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I hope the Virtual Console input lag for Switch isn't as laughable as Wii U. I'm currently playing Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii U VC and the input lag when playing on my TV with a classic controller is borderline unplayable. I wanted to play XBCX on Switch VC.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Clearly they're just building hype for the NintenPhone release

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Zero.

Not even Microsoft apps come to Windows phones. Which is too bad, apart from no apps they are really good phones.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

greatn posted:

Zero.

Not even Microsoft apps come to Windows phones. Which is too bad, apart from no apps they are really good phones.

They dropped minecraft support

uh oh pancho!
Sep 3, 2004

THE MARATHON WAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

CLEAR TIME SGDQ18

katkillad2 posted:

What are the odds this Nintendo app comes to Windows phones? Good thing I never talk to people while playing games anyways.

http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/3415117

probably 0

Only registered members can see post attachments!

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I hope the Virtual Console input lag for Switch isn't as laughable as Wii U. I'm currently playing Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii U VC and the input lag when playing on my TV with a classic controller is borderline unplayable. I wanted to play XBCX on Switch VC.

Sounds more like you need to adjust your TV settings.

Edit: It's me, I'm the 2.5%

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 19, 2017

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

katkillad2 posted:

Sounds more like you need to adjust your TV settings.

I'm in Game Mode, but even on my smaller monitor it's an issue. Tbf, the frame-rates are much better, the controller lag just feels so off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I've seen more than one person comment the console box doesn't come with grips.

It totally comes with grips. Just wanted to let everyone know

Nintendo Switch™ Console
Nintendo Switch Dock
Joy-Con™ (L) Gray
Joy-Con (R) Gray
Joy-Con Wrist Straps
Joy-Con Grip
eHigh Speed HDMI™ Cable
Nintendo Switch AC Adapter

• Locked thread