Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Not surprised, as literally anything having to do with women ends up being perceived as lower status if women are involved in it due to tha patriarchy; it's been happening here with doctors and it's already happened with nurses and yeah, midwives.

It used to be that "we should pay these educated professionals good wages" but as things have shifted I've been hearing the old garbage "oh they're in it to help people" which if true would involve them joining MSF or going to Cuba and is the same sorta poo poo you hear about lovely conditions for teachers or any other caretaker job.

I know this mostly from the teachers side, as both my parents were teachers and dad was in the union and they've literally banned teachers from striking now. So much for freedom from the so called party of 'independence'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Still, there are huge issues with things like getting notes from a midwife and how much respect is given to the role. It's really sad to see.

The whole adversarial labor market that requires doctors notes in the first place is stupid. When I had a job like that during college I'd just show up, get everyone else and probably a few customers sick, then get sent home because I obviously looked like hell.

On midwives in particular, licensed midwifery is still a relatively new thing, so it's going to take time to catch up. Nurse practitioners have had to deal with the same poo poo even though they are true PCPs. It sounds like it's pretty accepted in your state; in MA it's not a protected term (last I checked) so you'd probably have a tough time getting people to accept a note.

It's a really terrible idea to support the deprofessionalization of medicine, so in states where there's no regulation beyond standard RN stuff (or where the regulation is just make-believe nonsense that the midwife lobby cooked up, like they're starting to do with naturopathy) then a note from them really shouldn't fly. The solution there is to get midwives treated legally as medical professionals, but I imagine there's no shortage of pushback there because idiots think of it as "lower".

[edit: uh, I just realized this was a very US centric post. oops.]

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 19, 2017

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I had always heard about Midwives from the Woo peddling types I'm related to. Usually in conjunction with "water birth" and home delivery (and then down the rabbit hole of placenta usage). I'm glad to hear it's not all like that, and that there is an associated medical degree with it.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Frankly, in many many cases, there's absolutely nothing wrong with home delivery, and there's unironically a long and misogynist history to hospital birth that prioritizes the convenience of the doctor over the health of the mother, and ease of birth, from the lying down position, to (thankfully waning) trends of overuse of epistotomy and c-section. The professional midwife is a sorely needed part of the pregnancy health team, as far as I'm concerned.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The fact that there is not an easy way to get emergency help is imo a wrong thing.

But that's speaking from someone whose wife and son would be dead if we'd tried to do it at home even though everything had looked fine in advance, so I will admit a bit of bias.

(Things like the attached midwifery centers my local hospital has are super cool though)

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yes, I think the thing that sums up the horrors of hospital birth best is the existence of the "daddy stitch," where the doctor sews up the woman's vaginal opening smaller than it naturally would be, without consulting her, just so her partner can have the pleasure of ripping it open.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yes, I think the thing that sums up the horrors of hospital birth best is the existence of the "daddy stitch," where the doctor sews up the woman's vaginal opening smaller than it naturally would be, without consulting her, just so her partner can have the pleasure of ripping it open.

Given the proximity of the fourchette to the anus, do women have to worry about fissures or rectovaginal fistulas??

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

stone cold posted:

Given the proximity of the fourchette to the anus, do women have to worry about fissures or rectovaginal fistulas??

I don't know what those words mean and I'm sure I would regret googling it, so I'm gonna guess "yes"

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Octatonic posted:

Frankly, in many many cases, there's absolutely nothing wrong with home delivery, and there's unironically a long and misogynist history to hospital birth that prioritizes the convenience of the doctor over the health of the mother, and ease of birth, from the lying down position, to (thankfully waning) trends of overuse of epistotomy and c-section. The professional midwife is a sorely needed part of the pregnancy health team, as far as I'm concerned.

"Professional" being the operative word. There's a trend with people like the Duggars getting bullshit certifications that don't properly prepare for complications etc.

Semi-related to this discussion, "Call the Midwife" is a really good show about midwifery in poor London around WWII.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Although that goes in the other direction too, before the current hospital era there was a lot of poo poo about how women shouldn't be given pain meds at all and poo poo because they were supposed to be able to tough it out and some of that is coming back which was really frustrating to deal with during my wife's pregnancy, there is definitely a not altogether pleasant push among many modern day health practitioners to not give pain relief or allow any assistance because birth should be "natural" even when the woman in question is expressly asking for it and they've been in labour for 9 loving hours.

Overriding the opinions of the woman actually giving birth is pretty poo poo now matter which way you go.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

I don't know what those words mean and I'm sure I would regret googling it, so I'm gonna guess "yes"

The fourchette is the bottom flap of skin in the vulva, and a rectovaginal fistula is basically a hole in between the vaginal canal and well....

yeah....

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Schmeichy posted:

"Professional" being the operative word. There's a trend with people like the Duggars getting bullshit certifications that don't properly prepare for complications etc.

Semi-related to this discussion, "Call the Midwife" is a really good show about midwifery in poor London around WWII.
To add to this, I believe the distinction is that real, professional midwives are certified as CNMs (certified nurse midwives). Getting this certification requires extensive education and training and they absolutely know what they are doing. The Duggar in question is certified as a CPM (certified professional midwife), which is a bullshit certification created by a bullshit organization made for the sole purpose of awarding it to people who ask.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Oh hey it's the two big reasons why I decided not to further my education in Japanese!

Story: We visited a Japanese company and I get to talking with one of the women working there. She's actually been a philosophy undergrad like me (though her masters was in something else) and were getting it on fairly well when she had to go out and do her job.

which was making tea for those of us visiting. The masters educated woman was made to do tea for the men

When I talked to her about it afterwards she told me it was something she'd grown used to and was just happy she wasn't still working in Japan and that her Icelandic boyfriend was way cooler than her Japanese one.

I worked with one Japanese company that did business with mine awhile ago. They had one female engineer on the team. She was actually born in the US (parents were both Japanese), had attended a major US University, and moved to Japan to work there since she still had family ties. She was one of the most senior engineers there, and wanted a management job. She got told that was never going to happen, so she ended up quitting and moving back to the states and finding a job here.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

I don't think text can accurately recreate the sound I just made but it's somewhere along the lines of "Buh?!". What the gently caress?

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Schmeichy posted:

I really enjoyed this show. Seconding.

So, since we're talking about women's health and pregancy and midwifery, here's a neat example of international feminist work doing some good. Back when I was in college, I attended a lecture by a local activist doing kind of equal parts somewhat frustrating self promotion and activism centering around the problems of birth in rural Afghanistan, which had at the time, one of, if not the highest infant mortality rate, and the highest rate of death during childbirth. Her organization's initial goal was promoting female literacy, in general, which they found was met with a lot of resistance in more conservative areas of the country. Eventually, between collaborating with local groups and lots of interviews, they switched their pitch to being more about training midwives. Patriarchs were much more enthusiastic about basic literacy, if it came in the service of basic medical knowledge, and though it's been a lot of years since I saw the talk, it's it's nice to see a relatively recent article showing that there's been some progress on this front, crediting midwife training specifically.

As far as I'm concerned, it's also a great example of how education efforts not only help women obtain "more fulfilling lives" or "obtain financial independence" or some of the phrases we use that to me are kind of tainted with ideology, but rather help women and children loving survive period. Our big dumb brains and our big dumb heads and our not-wide enough hips, along with the unusually high access human fetuses have to the bloodstream make pregnancy a gently caress ton more dangerous for us than most other mammals. Access to education about pregnancy and reproductive health, and moreover access to reproductive assistance, including birth control and abortion is loving imperative.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Octatonic posted:

Access to education about pregnancy and reproductive health, and moreover access to reproductive assistance, including birth control and abortion is loving imperative.

Unfortunately, the US is on a huge backslide in this regard. Texas has a huge pregnancy mortality rate, and ACA and Planned Parenthood defundings are going to really hurt.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/08/spike-rates-pregnancy-related-deaths-texas-national-embarrassment

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Schmeichy posted:

Unfortunately, the US is on a huge backslide in this regard. Texas has a huge pregnancy mortality rate, and ACA and Planned Parenthood defundings are going to really hurt.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/08/spike-rates-pregnancy-related-deaths-texas-national-embarrassment

Don't I know it. The US has one of the worst infant mortality rates and maternal mortality rates in the "developed world" and the GOP is real loving insistent on making it worse. The War on Women as much as I hate our overuse of that construction is not a misnomer. "Pro-life" conservative policies are killing and will kill women and children.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Hey, comrades!

Just wanted to remind y'all that we're only two days out from the Women's March on Washington!

If you're not gonna be at the march, consider signing up for a sister march near you.

There are international marches as well, you can find them in the sister march link, and more details here.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

stone cold posted:

Hey, comrades!

Just wanted to remind y'all that we're only two days out from the Women's March on Washington!

If you're not gonna be at the march, consider signing up for a sister march near you.

There are international marches as well, you can find them in the sister march link, and more details here.

I'll be at the Denver one, hoping for at least 40K people.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Pouring the Icelandic equivalent of a 40 down for a good poster

seiferguy posted:

I worked with one Japanese company that did business with mine awhile ago. They had one female engineer on the team. She was actually born in the US (parents were both Japanese), had attended a major US University, and moved to Japan to work there since she still had family ties. She was one of the most senior engineers there, and wanted a management job. She got told that was never going to happen, so she ended up quitting and moving back to the states and finding a job here.
Japan is such a loving bizarre shitshow when it comes to so many issues and gender issues is one of them; because pop cultural portrayals are often very female oriented and dominated, a buncha folks get fooled into thinking that they're way more socially aware than they are in reality and that they can adapt easily to society there when the reality is a lot harsher.

Like, I wish my country produced as much female made female oriented media on all levels, or really any other country did. But the flipside is that alongside that you have all sorts of cultural fuckups which show the deep and serious patriarchal culture that is so rooted I wouldn't even know where to start to deal with it.
(no im lying i do; it's in politics, then the beaurocracy and then business with quotas galore but lol that poo poo aint happenin)

stone cold posted:

Hey, comrades!

Weird, haven't heard much about this through the grapevine. I wonder if they contacted the big orgs? Gonna advertise it anyhow.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Japan is super misogynist to the point where they even have a word for women who are over 25. It's called "Christmas cake", and it means that after 25 you're no good. I learned this from a coworker whose brother married a Japanese woman, and while he was still in Japan with her her sister asked her why he liked her since she was Christmas cake. And if you look into it you see that it is a very real thing and a held belief there.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
That's a pan-east asian thang though.

hosed up but true: if you are a woman and want to get ahead in society, China is probably your best bet, though peeps argue which flavour of China is better. (I'd say that business wise mainland is better and politically Formosa but folks disagree)

also got some more orgs and people I know involved in the march now I know about it; rustled up some folks to help organize it too

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
FYI, the US Dept of Labor has put up an easy to download archive of the contents of the Women's Bureau section. If anyone wants to keep a local copy for... Reasons...

https://www.dol.gov/wb/resources/

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Great Metal Jesus posted:

I don't think text can accurately recreate the sound I just made but it's somewhere along the lines of "Buh?!". What the gently caress?

Pretty much my exact response when she mentioned it in the Mysoginoir thread many moons ago.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Schmeichy posted:

I adore Call the Midwife and am thirding the recommendation.

I'm sad that Netflix only has up to season 3, so that's as much as I've seen.

I've noticed that British shows seem much more willing to hire actresses that look like normal people. There's always the 1 or 2 attractive girls, but everyone else looks normal, like someone you might see on the street one day.

On that note, I also recommend Bletchley Circle, which is about a group of female, WWII code breakers who team up to catch a serial killer.

Broadchurch has some great lady characters too.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

That's a pan-east asian thang though.

hosed up but true: if you are a woman and want to get ahead in society, China is probably your best bet, though peeps argue which flavour of China is better. (I'd say that business wise mainland is better and politically Formosa but folks disagree)

Pffffft are you kidding? Hong Kong for the money (I guess that's mainland but :lol:one country/two systems:lol:) and Taiwan for the democracy. All day every day.

But yeah I'd argue that native Asians are probably the most discriminatory in general as things stand in the modern day. Hooo boy do they have some interesting ideas about redheaded women in particular. They're the ultimate trophies. An Irish friend was a deparment manager at a well-known aerospace manufacturer back in Europe and was emphatically not allowed to give any instructions at all to the Korean team. When she did, the Koreans would actually look at her male subordinates for a final yea or nay while she was still in the room.

There's also a persistent belief over there that Koreans/Japanese/whoever are the superior people group. And that's not racist you see. It's just science. Why haven't other scientists confirmed these findings? Well obviously you can't expect them to be as perceptive as scientists who are Korean/Japanese/whoever! For some reason this attitude is somewhat less common in China.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Hidden Figures is out in the US right? That movie isn't coming out for loving ages here unless we organize another effort to have it shown early like we did for Suffragette, so is it good?

DeusExMachinima posted:

Pffffft are you kidding? Hong Kong for the money (I guess that's mainland but :lol:one country/two systems:lol:) and Taiwan for the democracy. All day every day.
Pffffft, yeah, if you're already at least middle class/expat maybe. HK is still commonwealth enough, but even then I'd say that the mainland has a shitload more chances just because it's bigger. :v:
(HK is probably a very good mix though, because they haven't quite stamped out the British poo poo but they also have the few positives of the mainland)

DeusExMachinima posted:

But yeah I'd argue that native Asians are probably the most discriminatory in general as things stand in the modern day. Hooo boy do they have some interesting ideas about redheaded women in particular. They're the ultimate trophies. An Irish friend was a deparment manager at a well-known aerospace manufacturer back in Europe and was emphatically not allowed to give any instructions at all to the Korean team. When she did, the Koreans would actually look at her male subordinates for a final yea or nay while she was still in the room.

There's also a persistent belief over there that Koreans/Japanese/whoever are the superior people group. And that's not racist you see. It's just science. Why haven't other scientists confirmed these findings? Well obviously you can't expect them to be as perceptive as scientists who are Korean/Japanese/whoever! For some reason this attitude is somewhat less common in China.
Nihonjinron was like, for the longest time, some of my fav poo poo. A friend of mine now living there with his wife sometimes translates crazy poo poo and sends me 'cause he knows I love it.

And every country from Thailand to Japan has it going on, though it's heaviest in Japan/Korea/China afaik (though I haven't really studied SE-Asia to any depth)

EDIT: Lol relevant; Chinathread delivers a pretty decent documentary on the subject of Chinese Women:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QarOjjKfseo

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 20, 2017

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

stone cold posted:

Hey, comrades!

Sister marches in New Zealand went well and got very positive press coverage.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I take a very early am commuter train to work (~5:00am) and the station is usually empty. Today it was jam-packed with women going to Washington, all talking about the march tomorrow--like rush-hour-level amounts of people. It was cool.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
In a small town on the other side of the world...

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

slinkimalinki posted:

ooo I want that formation sign

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

slinkimalinki posted:

This makes me feel heartened, thank you for sharing :3:

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

stone cold posted:

This makes me feel heartened, thank you for sharing :3:

We did it so you would know you're not alone. And vice versa.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Courtesy of a friend, if you're at a march tomorrow:

quote:

Be safe and smart!
Write the number for your local chapter of the National Lawyers Guild on your arm in sharpie. The Women's March also has a hotline in conjunction with the NLG at (202)670-6866.
Disable the finger print unlock mechanism on your phone.
Stick with a friend.
Bring water and any medication you might need! The general rule of thumb is bring three days' worth of essential meds if you're risking arrest.
A bandana soaked in water will help you breathe in the event of tear gas or made being sprayed.

An ACLU resource for D.C. goons.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I also heard that if you aren't leadership to whatever organization you're supporting (if there is even a specific one), don't talk to the press. Direct them to leadership or find out if there's something specific you should be saying if a mic and a camera get stuck in your face

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
I can do a massive effortpost about women and men in Japan from like the 1800's to the modern day if anyone is interested in that derail. Doing a Japan and race thing in Negrotown at the moment

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

:stare:

This is so horrifying on so many levels. So what over here would be considered unprofessional, unethical and end up with the doctor facing multiple charges, losing his job and hopefully in prison, is actually a thing in the Land of the Free? This is disgusting!

If a doctor asked me to consent to this thing being done to my partner, I'd commit straight-up murder. I would just grab his dumb-rear end stereoscope and strangle that motherfucker. Seriously, I can not get over this, it's like something out of a horror movie.

To be honest, if SA hadn't made me numb and cynical to human assholery, I'd not believe this.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Libluini posted:

:stare:

This is so horrifying on so many levels. So what over here would be considered unprofessional, unethical and end up with the doctor facing multiple charges, losing his job and hopefully in prison, is actually a thing in the Land of the Free? This is disgusting!

If a doctor asked me to consent to this thing being done to my partner, I'd commit straight-up murder. I would just grab his dumb-rear end stereoscope and strangle that motherfucker. Seriously, I can not get over this, it's like something out of a horror movie.

To be honest, if SA hadn't made me numb and cynical to human assholery, I'd not believe this.

This post talks about sexual assault among doctors in some detail. Do not click the spoiler/links if you are sensitive to issues of sexual assault.

This is the psychotic country where doctors who actively rape and molest patients, nurses and other coworkers continue to practice unpunished because we don't have enough doctors to replace them if they were fired and punished. There was a big article about how fundamentally broken the doctor establishment is with regards to treatment of female patients and staff and how rampant and unreported and unaddressed sexual assault and harassment is and will continue to be because nobody cares.

Like, doctors carving their initials into patients while they were under anesthetic because they thought she was hot, or other such insanity, and still being allowed to practice afterwards with no meaningful punishment.

Edit:

http://doctors.ajc.com/doctors_sex_abuse/?ecmp=doctorssexabuse_microsite_nav

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/health/sexual-assault-by-doctors

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jan 21, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Lightning Knight posted:

This post talks about sexual assault among doctors in some detail. Do not click the spoiler/links if you are sensitive to issues of sexual assault.

This is the psychotic country where doctors who actively rape and molest patients, nurses and other coworkers continue to practice unpunished because we don't have enough doctors to replace them if they were fired and punished. There was a big article about how fundamentally broken the doctor establishment is with regards to treatment of female patients and staff and how rampant and unreported and unaddressed sexual assault and harassment is and will continue to be because nobody cares.

Like, doctors carving their initials into patients while they were under anesthetic because they thought she was hot, or other such insanity, and still being allowed to practice afterwards with no meaningful punishment.

Edit:

:stare: What the gently caress?!! Those should all be in prison, how hosed up is your legal system that criminals can just go :lol: "There aren't enough people working in my profession, you can't convict me!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Lightning Knight posted:

Edit:

what the gently caress

i'm actually at a loss for words

• Locked thread