Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I'm so loving ready for Gatchaman Crowds S3

Yes please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Gatchamaaaaan

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Parallax posted:

why would you assume it'd be mediocre

well according to wikipedia their only original work is yurikama lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yurikuma was a manga first anyway.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

wikipedia lied?!

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Davincie posted:

well according to wikipedia their only original work is yurikama lol

Yurikuma was good as long as you avoided any and all conversation about it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think the anime was announced first but morishima's manga began publication earlier

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

a kitten posted:

Gatchamaaaaan

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

What social evil will gatchaman tackle next?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Your posts

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

wow rude

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Donald Trump

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

populism was season 2

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Davincie posted:

populism was season 2

did they spend season two repudiating everything that happened in the first season or something

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
it was about populism + mood projection that made people lazy and transformed people from a collective of individuals to a collective subservient to one individual

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Gatchaman season 2 had a happy ending.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i dont think any piece of media that isnt deliberately satirical could have predicted the current situation

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

devtesla posted:

I want Silver Link to make their Shirobako

Also I want a Kyoani Shirobako that is just a slice of life show about an organised and stress free anime production.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

i dont think any piece of media that isnt deliberately satirical could have predicted the current situation

ah, Idiocracy

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Fangz posted:

Also I want a Kyoani Shirobako that is just a slice of life show about an organised and stress free anime production.

that sounds kind of grotesque, unless kyoani really is such an environment

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i want other studios to do cool original shows, instead of retreading ground well-covered

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That's the point, yeah

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

one of the big reasons kyoani shows are as well made as they are is because they, as a studio, are historically ridiculously good at keeping their poo poo together

i dunno about stress-free, but they treat their employees better than lots of other studios. a big example is the drama that came up a while back about how pa works treats inbetweeners, that's just common practice at a few studios because of weird views on what the job is about, and was actually carried over from practices at production ig. afaik kyoani's a lot more lax on that than lots of other studios

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 20, 2017

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Wasn't that 'drama' just one lady complaining because PA Works was pretty much trying to politely tell her she should leave and also not understanding that being an inbetweener is more of a part time job that leads to being a real animator? I remember her getting called out on it by a bunch of other animators.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the p.a. works thing was so convoluted by the end that i didn't even understand it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

AnoHito posted:

Wasn't that 'drama' just one lady complaining because PA Works was pretty much trying to politely tell her she should leave and also not understanding that being an inbetweener is more of a part time job that leads to being a real animator? I remember her getting called out on it by a bunch of other animators.

i'm not really a huge expert on the subject but there was a big post on sakugablog about it explaining why pa works isn't a bad studio but also why the situation was kind of hosed up and the industry has a pretty unfair view of inbetweening

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2016/11/08/anime-craft-weekly-18-pa-worls-but-not-really/

basically, inbetweening is definitely viewed pretty unfavorably, but that kind of ends up being an excuse to treat people who do the job like poo poo for something that still places them under a pretty heavy load, pa works just has it a practice to treat them better for a few years before deciding to lay down the hammer

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 20, 2017

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i think the anime was announced first but morishima's manga began publication earlier

I believe this is the case. The manga starts a lot differently from the anime but by the time the anime gets going, the manga starts to bring the anime plot lines in halfway through (like the invisible storm as well as the introduction of the glasses Yuri) and it presumably resolves the same way (I dropped Yurikuma around episode 3).

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Kyoani is fundamentally different in a lot of ways from basically all other anime studios. Unlike other studios who are essentially constructs of branding, and hire freelancers to do everything, all of Kyoani's people are salaried employees. They even run an animator school where they train people up straight from art school. They also typically own the rights to the stuff they are adapting (as opposed to being contracted by the publishers of the work), so they have perfect creative freedom to do whatever they want. They set schedules to usually give themselves a lot of time to do stuff, which is why all of their episodes have only a small number of animators because they don't have to share the workload - and coincidentally that produces good quality work. They are very supportive of female workers, there's a lot of them in fact in Maidragon and Euphonium 2 that are making their directorial debuts having only joined as key artist a few years ago. (Bet you couldn't tell which ones they were too, because hey, they actually support their employees so their efforts don't suck!)

Basically I can gush about Kyoani all day and they'd be basically the only studio that has the right to make such a 'happy' Shirobako. It's interesting to think about how so many of the crises in Shirobako just can't possibly have happened at Kyoani.

AnoHito posted:

By politely, I'd probably say 'passive aggressively'. Anyway I think this is probably the best writeup:

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2016/11/08/anime-craft-weekly-18-pa-worls-but-not-really/

e:f,b

Fangz fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 20, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Xelkelvos posted:

I believe this is the case. The manga starts a lot differently from the anime but by the time the anime gets going, the manga starts to bring the anime plot lines in halfway through (like the invisible storm as well as the introduction of the glasses Yuri) and it presumably resolves the same way (I dropped Yurikuma around episode 3).

generally people who hate the anime seem to love the manga so i doubt they end up being quite the same thing

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

They should make hyouka s2 for gently caress sakes

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

littleorv posted:

They should make hyouka s2 for gently caress sakes

There's only one newer book out and it's a bad place to have an ending.

The author did go write a viking detective novel though and I'd love to see that.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Fangz posted:

The author did go write a viking detective novel though and I'd love to see that.

I don't give a poo poo

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Fangz posted:

Holy cow that sounds like the best setting for a mystery.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Holy cow that sounds like the best setting for a mystery.

They would not be solving the crime, just determining whether the victim went to Valhalla.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

chumbler posted:

They would not be solving the crime, just determining whether the victim went to Valhalla.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KHxewWUNyo

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Where do I pay to get Kyoani to adapt this? :shepspends:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwOi_I0cEFU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
:swoon:
I still need to watch the original though...

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Yes you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Speaking of anime Nazis (and of blowing them up with giant beam cannons), someone high up at MAL seems to think they're being unfairly persecuted.

• Locked thread