Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol, hired.com wants 7 days to approve my profile. also they ask for a base salary. I went very high, let's see how that goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

reminder for our readers: never disclose current salary

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Progressive JPEG posted:

"never" is awful strong

more like, you want to stay focused on desired salaries. it doesn't matter who gives a number first, but one of you should provide a target salary for the position to anchor negotiations

you really, really do not want your current salary to be that anchor, because then some hr drone will become obsessed with not giving you more than a 10% raise or whatever

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

lol, hired.com wants 7 days to approve my profile. also they ask for a base salary. I went very high, let's see how that goes.

hope you like interviewing with startups that will just waste your time on the basis that your "base" salary will definitely be comparable to peanuts + lottery tickets!!!

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Progressive JPEG posted:

1000% / or literally lie

if you absolutely cannot stomach saying 'no' awkwardly a few times, then your current salary is your minimum signing salary. if this isn't technically true to start with, find a way to convince yourself that it actually is: 'well my flexibility around scheduling is worth 10k, and i like my boss like about 10k so 100k salary + 10k + 10k = 120k = my current salary is 120k'

anyone that tells you lying about your current salary is unethical or mumbles some poo poo about your w-2 blah blah blah is 1) a piece of poo poo and 2) a (loving) idiot

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

hope you like interviewing with startups that will just waste your time on the basis that your "base" salary will definitely be comparable to peanuts + lottery tickets!!!

I do enjoy laughing at those kinds of offers so this might be entertaining.

also lol if base is all we're talking about.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Also I agree that it doesn't really matter who says a number first *if you know what you're worth + what your limits are*.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

1000% / or literally lie

if you absolutely cannot stomach saying 'no' awkwardly a few times, then your current salary is your minimum signing salary. if this isn't technically true to start with, find a way to convince yourself that it actually is: 'well my flexibility around scheduling is worth 10k, and i like my boss like about 10k so 100k salary + 10k + 10k = 120k = my current salary is 120k'

anyone that tells you lying about your current salary is unethical or mumbles some poo poo about your w-2 blah blah blah is 1) a piece of poo poo and 2) a (loving) idiot

well, on the one hand, you will almost certainly be caught in the lie.

"background checks" at my last two jobs required me to provide tax records because my prior employers wouldn't discuss my salary. both times this weirded me the gently caress out but there was no getting around it. (naturally i provided W2s instead of complete tax returns because holy lol who do you think you are?)

on the other hand, will anyone care that you lied? i don't know. seems dangerous.

it's much easier to just not say anything. why lie when you can simply refuse to discuss it until after you've begun dickering over offer details?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

does hired.com do remote now? I think they didn't whenever they started out

I've sent some *almost* regrettably snarky drunk responses to Googbookazon recruiters about remote work sort of recently :getin: Not looking, but hardpressed to pass up dunking on people.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

well, on the one hand, you will almost certainly be caught in the lie.

"background checks" at my last two jobs required me to provide tax records because my prior employers wouldn't discuss my salary. both times this weirded me the gently caress out but there was no getting around it. (naturally i provided W2s instead of complete tax returns because holy lol who do you think you are?)

on the other hand, will anyone care that you lied? i don't know. seems dangerous.

it's much easier to just not say anything. why lie when you can simply refuse to discuss it until after you've begun dickering over offer details?

Lol, I would literally refuse to provide my tax records. That is only being asked for to gently caress you over on salary. No thanks?

Anybody that actually 'needs' my tax records for a background check (i.e. the FBI, for a real clearance) can actually get them without my voluntary involvement.

I mean yes: absolutely refuse. Most people are giant babies though and slight awkwardness = immediate cave. We all feel it, don't deny it.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Also I agree that it doesn't really matter who says a number first *if you know what you're worth + what your limits are*.

bear in mind, it behooves you to delay anyone saying a number as long as possible. you want to already have them "on the hook," so to speak. you want the counterparty to be eager to hire you, not merely evaluating the possibility

once you have them in that position, it doesn't matter who says the number first. if you say it first, and you shoot too high, they'll bring you back to earth. if they say it first, and they shoot too low, you'll drag them up.

on the other hand, if you blurt out a number really early in the process, you might just convince an HR drone not to bother proceeding with the rest of the interview process. delay, delay, delay.

https://www.amazon.com/Negotiating-Your-Salary-Make-Minute/dp/0931213207/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

this is an extremely short book that just walks through the basics of salary negotiation. that's all. it's like 80 pages. you could literally read it in an hour. (the pages are quite short.)

the core bits of advice:
  • delay, delay, delay compensation discussions

• if you delayed long enough, it doesn't matter who says a number first

• before you begin negotiations, have a go/no-go number in mind. what is the actual minimum that you will take? not that you should ever ask for this number, but should they offer an insulting number, you need the firm pre-commitment to avoid arguing yourself into taking a lovely offer.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Lol, I would literally refuse to provide my tax records. That is only being asked for to gently caress you over on salary. No thanks?

it was part of the background check. in both cases, the offer letters had already been extended etc. the negotiations were most definitely over.

for some reason they were absolutely determined to verify my salary history, and my prior employers, being normal, declined to discuss it.

to this day i have no idea why, but i hesitate to make up a number when asked my current salary.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

mostly, :hfive:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

to this day i have no idea why, but i hesitate to make up a number when asked my current salary.
can dodge this with "tcomp", that way you're rolling in real/fake equity, health care, all the nebulous things

like idc how you get to the half million, we can work out the details if it's a good fit on both sides

and a background check had my previous salaries to the penny, certainly didn't get it from me

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JawnV6 posted:

can dodge this with "tcomp", that way you're rolling in real/fake equity, health care, all the nebulous things

related to this, I found out how much one of our clients is paying for my headcount - my actual paycheck is 60% of it. this is normal for my company, which emphasizes "total compensation". any outside interviews get the tcomp amount, not the actual from my w2.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

phoenix seems like a weird place to go for career reasons

what is your line of work?

I'm currently a "full stack" ruby-dev who is very uninterested in being a ruby developer. this position would be more focused on systems engineering, not frontend, and would not involve ruby. i'd be jumping up two levels of seniority and increasing my pay by (potentially, based on the number I gave them) 50%. More realistically 30%.

Also I'd be in a position where I'd be solving actual engineering problems instead of just trying to cram business nonsense into a crud layer. i realize that i'm probably imagining the job is cooler than it will be in reality, but it's absolutely going to be a big step up.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 19, 2017

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

PokeJoe posted:

i had to reverse a string for my current job.

i had to walk a tree not long after I started current job. tho it's possible I just gravitated to that solution because I still had interview poo poo in my head

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

massachusetts passed a law (taking effect next year, i think?) banning employers from asking candidates their current salary (and banning employers from preventing employees from discussing compensation) and i would love to hear about people slamming that dick down on the table during a conversation with some hr idiots

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bloody posted:

banning employers from preventing employees from discussing compensation

this is already banned at the federal level, thanks to the national labor relations board

(and yet, every job i've ever had has language about it in the employee handbook.)

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
tons of companies have employee policies that are completely illegal but don't care because none of those employees know their rights so

they also tend to be set up to make it easy to remove troublemakers that do

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
talked to the internal recruiter: i may not have to move to tempe, they may just have me go out and stay there for a month while I onboard. that would megaown

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
just rocked the team interview I went to, I even got called a professional interviewer lmao.

no, I just turned the charm up a little bit, was genuine, and I know what I'm talking about. I should hear back Tuesday hopefully!

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

talked to the internal recruiter: i may not have to move to tempe, they may just have me go out and stay there for a month while I onboard. that would megaown

arizona is a terrible state that no one should live in

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

mishaq posted:

phoenix.mp4

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mishaq posted:

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

*kicks down the door* hello INSERT NAME HERE! didn't read anything but I have a wonderful opportunity for a position half your current salary in a language you used once 7 years ago. Benefits include: a desk, a ping pong table needlessly close to said desk. Remote working is forbidden because the CTO believes in ghosts. Please send me your CV so I may pretend to have read it in our interview. If this position is not for you, feel free to ruin your relationships by forwarding it to your colleagues.

ahmeni fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 19, 2017

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

ahmeni posted:

*kicks down the door* hello INSERT NAME HERE! didn't read anything but I have a wonderful opportunity for a position half your current salary in a language you used once 7 years ago. Benefits include: a desk, a ping pong table needlessly close to said desk. Remote working is forbidden because the CTO believes in ghosts. Please send me your CV so I may pretend to have read it in our interview. If this position is not for you, feel free to ruin your relationships by forwarding it to your colleagues.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

ahmeni posted:

Reported for hacking my linkedin account

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

ahmeni posted:

Lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

ahmeni posted:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

jre posted:

Reported for hacking my linkedin account

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

ahmeni posted:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ahmeni posted:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
recruiter asked me on the phone today how much I'm making. I told her I want to know how much I'm worth to them. she let that go but not before disclaiming that they are a startup and therefore don't have that much cash and but they do have equity! also strongly implied that I will need to tell them what it was when we have a frank discussion about it later in the process because their CTO is a straight shooter or whatever.

lol.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

The Management posted:

recruiter asked me on the phone today how much I'm making. I told her I want to know how much I'm worth to them. she let that go but not before disclaiming that they are a startup and therefore don't have that much cash and but they do have equity! also strongly implied that I will need to tell them what it was when we have a frank discussion about it later in the process because their CTO is a straight shooter or whatever.

lol.

ask her how much she weighs

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Devonaut posted:

ask her how much she weighs

ask her for her salary, the CTO's salary, and the cap table

if we're all "straight shooters" then we should be able to get down to business immediately, right?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

ugh I hate interviewing other people so much

and resumes even more

so we're hiring for my manager. I think the only person directly asked on my team if they want to be the manager was me and I said "lol no."

these resumes are SO BAD. one talks about how they rolled their own encryption and is full of the worst grammar mistakes and uses the word "liased". this one I'm looking at now has a huge half-page block of Skills that I just spent the last 10 minutes highlighting all the repeated things in. and they're both just loving :words: and over 2 pages long.

the delete key is cool and good. please use it on your resume. the less dumb poo poo you put on there the less time I'm going to angrily circle the incorrectly used apostrophe and grill you on why you rolled your own crypto back in 2002.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ahmeni posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

i would be your manager minivan, my resume is free of spelling and grammatical errors, and does not repeat anything.

• Locked thread