Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I'm specifically referring to James Cameron's film Aliens, where the threat is understood not as capitalism but merely conservatism, and Ripley is fighting for corporations to become 'more progressive'. I wrote about it in more detail over in the Alien thread:

"Aliens is a rather-good film about a woman who fights to protect the Weyland-Yutani corporation from unfashionably greedy employees, stodgy bureaucracy, and alien attack 'from outside'.

Of course this is not her explicit motivation. Ripley simply wants a higher-paying and more prestigious job within the corporation, and to raise a family. But the unavoidable conclusion is that, for all her dreams to come true, Weyland-Yutani must be kept intact."
I think that I see what you're getting at, but even taking Aliens as a stand-alone film, I disagree. Take, for example, Ripley's decision to nuke the colony from orbit on her way out. Yes, it's counter to what the cartoonishly greedy corporate dude wants, and can be read as protecting Weyland-Yutani from employees like him, who otherwise would have gone back to the site to harvest more monsters, thereby creating future headaches for shareholders. But advancement within Weyland-Yutani is absolutely not part of her motivation when she makes that decision; she was, in fact, shown being chewed out by superiors earlier in the film for having made a similar decision in the past. She nukes the site from orbit after she realizes that Weyland is unsalvageably full of greedy assholes who would unleash monsters on the innocent for a goddamn percentage, and gives up her dream of being accepted by her managers while at the same time being true to herself. I mean, yeah, it's easier for Ripley to imagine the end of the world (nuking the colony) than the end of capitalism (collapse of Weyland-Yutani), but that doesn't mean that she's on Weyland-Yutani's side.

edit: I realize that this is a big derail, but it's more interesting than arguing about whether 2017 Major is too emo, as compared against 1995 Kusanagi, since they're different characters in different films, and we haven't seen one of the films yet.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ersatz posted:

She nukes the site from orbit after she realizes that Weyland is unsalvageably full of greedy assholes who would unleash monsters on the innocent for a goddamn percentage, and gives up her dream of being accepted by her managers while at the same time being true to herself.

The facility was accidentally destroyed by the Vasquez character when she disobeyed orders, not intentionally by Ripley.

In either case, the issue is precisely in how you perceive the conflict as one where the purity and innocence of the liberal-utopian worldbuilding project is corrupted by irredeemable 'greedy assholes'.

This is precisely the same notion of purity and corruption asserted by Mithaldu and MariusLecter: that greedy Hollywood filmmakers are sapping Kusunagi's natural (canonical) essence, turning her into an anemic alien - an emo. An alien quality is discernible in minor tics: this fake doesn't smile enough, or in the right way. She walks on a way unfamiliar to us. She is not our friend.

Their only response is a blanket rejection of the film, petitioning the corporation to produce more liberal films in the future, according to the natural logic of supply and demand. 'You'd better supply us with what we demand, or we'll ensure that you'll make less money!' Vote with your wallet, right?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
They don't learn that the facility is going to go critical until after Hicks and Ripley make the decision to nuke the site from orbit, IIRC. I guess in a sense this action could be read as a foreshadowing of Ripley's suicide in Alien 3 since it's likely going to entail spending the rest of her life in jail, if they had done it according to their initial plan.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

They don't learn that the facility is going to go critical until after Hicks and Ripley make the decision to nuke the site from orbit, IIRC. I guess in a sense this action could be read as a foreshadowing of Ripley's suicide in Alien 3 since it's likely going to entail spending the rest of her life in jail, if they had done it according to their initial plan.

We could say that Vasquez confronts Ripley with the full consequences of her initial outburst, (initiating what Ripley talked about but was unwilling to do herself). But this isn't the thread for this, and the point in either case is Ripley's focus on the eradication of the alien.

Ripley would never nuke a corporate facility if it wasn't first corrupted by aliens, via greed.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
But have you ever considered that Ripley died at the end of Alien and the sequel takes place in purgatory and the aliens are her sins and Bishop is a literal bishop who tries to teach her Christian values and to accept Jesus into her heart except Jesus is another alien (Alien 3) furthermore

Also hey this anime with people in it looks bad huh

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Have you considered that the aliens series does the themes Ghost in the Shell set out to do so much better and well that it's far easier for people to talk about "the Aliens series" than these nested groups of GiTS series? Like, frankly my take is most Ghost in the Shell anime adaptions are really bad, but certainly the first movie deserves its place in sci-fi cinema. You can't get away from that first movie and who gives a goddamn poo poo about the preluding manga or the subsequent sequels.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jan 25, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
This is totally true. The original manga is great on a technical level for its use of color and some other reasons people have said in the thread already but this is totally true. The 1995 movie is a great adaptation of the most important parts of it. But every Ghost in the Shell manga after that is absolutely loving awful, on multiple levels. The art is really bad (even by the standards of its contemporaneous comics that also used digital elements), the writing is just page after page of "huh I always thought of technology this way, but now I think of it this way, makes you think." The second movie looks great but is bad, all of the Arise animated movies are bad, and Stand Alone Complex is fun but is basically a totally different thing beyond "there are cyborgs and cute tanks," and is more like a cyberpunk anime Miami Vice, which is fine.

Stand Alone Complex is fun but the very first Ghost in the Shell manga and the first movie are the only things in the franchise I'd ever actually recommend to someone else to check out.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
That was a drat good post.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Overall I like the trailer, but boy does Batou look goofy.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Innocence is far from bad, but it entirely its own beast and doesn't quite measure up to the perfection of the 95 GitS.

Whenever I think GitS, I'm actually thinking about Oshii's first film. I'm not police procedural, wisecracking protagonists, or massive cathedral-industrial landscapes. I'm thinking moody action, an introspective warrior, and "not-hong kong."

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I watched GiTS 95 in the cinema last night, thinking about how the adaptation might different today. First up, there'll probably be way more exposition, because I have seen this movie three times now and still don't understand why there's a tank at the end.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to watch this film purely because of ScarJo and I look forward to anime fans seething over how terrible it is.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
The 90's Ghost in the Shell was the first anime I ever watched. I remember it not making very much sense. I think it may have turned me off anime because twenty years later I have only seen about 6 more anime movies and some episodes of The Dragons Balls.

This live action movie looks good.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

well why not posted:

I watched GiTS 95 in the cinema last night, thinking about how the adaptation might different today. First up, there'll probably be way more exposition, because I have seen this movie three times now and still don't understand why there's a tank at the end.

Because Section 6 and the American Empire are trying to recover their illegal surveillance AI at any costs. Plan A was to to just ditch Section 9 with the decoy car, Plan B was to kill the S9 if they managed to tail them. When you've resolved to go up against combat androids, bring your best hardware. If extraction was impossible, Plan C was to destroy all evidence via the snipers.

The exposition is all there already though...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I saw a bit of the Super Bowl commercial. Batou doesn't look that dumb in motion.

The face coming apart looks dumb, though.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
looks fine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYrdoQAjcww

Spider tank spotted :stare:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Do not watch it with headphones.

They're still absolute garbage at cutting trailers. Looked like there were some potentially interesting scenes in the movie, but they're not doing a good job of highlighting them. Just hire teagone already.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Major Kusanagi "never asked for this." :wank:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, rip.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Ersatz posted:

Major Kusanagi "never asked for this." :wank:
Where does it say that? The guy says that they stole her life from her. Who knows what story line they are going with, but having her end up choosing a path because of action by the government can be construed as being stolen, as in forced into doing something.

Maybe I took your comment wrong?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I have how loving expensive and therefore short SB commercials are. I think the trailer looksoks pretty good. The Major and Batou look good in action. There's even a bit of more traditional music. I'm still not a fan of the shot where she's jumping through the window, but I think everything else is good.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Hamelekim posted:

Where does it say that? The guy says that they stole her life from her. Who knows what story line they are going with, but having her end up choosing a path because of action by the government can be construed as being stolen, as in forced into doing something.

Lol

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Rough Lobster posted:

I have how loving expensive and therefore short SB commercials are. I think the trailer looksoks pretty good. The Major and Batou look good in action. There's even a bit of more traditional music. I'm still not a fan of the shot where she's jumping through the window, but I think everything else is good.

The decloaking scene looks much better than in the main trailer.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Hamelekim posted:

I'm referencing a recent Deus Ex game, which featured a special ops protagonist who was cyberized against his will, ostensibly to save his life. Like the film's version of the Major, he "never asked for this." This is really different from the traditional Kusanagi, who clearly enjoys her capabilities, and her work, despite being existentially troubled by her condition.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 2, 2017

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

UmOk posted:

The 90's Ghost in the Shell was the first anime I ever watched. I remember it not making very much sense. I think it may have turned me off anime because twenty years later I have only seen about 6 more anime movies and some episodes of The Dragons Balls.

This live action movie looks good.

well why not posted:

Don't worry, you're not the only ones who find GitS '95 perplexing.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ersatz posted:

I'm referencing a recent Deus Ex game, which featured a special ops protagonist who was cyberized against his will, ostensibly to save his life. Like the film's version of the Major, he "never asked for this." This is really different from the traditional Kusanagi, who clearly enjoys her capabilities, and her work, despite being existentially troubled by her condition.

From last year...

Young Freud posted:

Funny, I've been going over this recently and take a look and that synopsis could be for an entirely different property...

quote:

Based on the internationally-acclaimed sci-fi property, “GHOST IN THE SHELL” DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION follows the MajorAdam Jensen, a special ops, one-of-a-kind human-cyborg hybrid, who leads the elite task force Section 9. Devoted to stopping the most dangerous criminals and extremists, Section 9he is faced with an enemy whose singular goal is to wipe out Hanka Robotic’sSarif Industries' advancements in cyber technology.

Seriously, if the finished plot is anything like that pitch, I'd suspect that someone just erased the character names from their DX:HR movie script and inserted Kusanagi and gang.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Young Freud posted:

From last year...

Seriously, if the finished plot is anything like that pitch, I'd suspect that someone just erased the character names from their DX:HR movie script and inserted Kusanagi and gang.
Yeah, that's rather disappointing. :(

From the synopsis, they've apparently botched Kuze as well. poo poo.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 3, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
That's really more evidence that Deus Ex is also following a rather generic, dystopian action template.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Neuromancer -> Manga -> Anime -> Videogames -> Movies

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

K. Waste posted:

That's really more evidence that Deus Ex is also following a rather generic, dystopian action template.

The future was so dirty in those games!

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Everything old is new again.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Everything old is new again, again.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Next-Gen Boob-Butt Pose

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The movie that inspired the matrix is the new matrix.

Is comparing yourself to the matrix even a strong selling point these days?

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

Comparing yourself to The Matrix has not been a strong selling point since The Matrix Reloaded. Ghost in the Shell resembles more and more like The Dark Knight, which is very nearly a 10 year old movie itself.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I've generally found that any movie that puts a comparison to another movie up front, like, on the poster or DVD case or whatever, is terrible. Frequently irredeemably so.

Bugblatter posted:

I doubt it. People who really think highly of the matrix are probably aging out of the viable movie-going demographic. I was blown away by it when it first came out, and I'm just shy of thirty now.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

I'm small batman peeking out from behind the letter 'm'

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

I've generally found that any movie that puts a comparison to another movie up front, like, on the poster or DVD case or whatever, is terrible. Frequently irredeemably so.

Yeah basically. Though I think that doesn't apply to dumb lines from obsolete film magazines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

McSpanky posted:

The Next-Gen Boob-Butt Pose

Ballistic vest technology that allows for all that side boob is closer to reality than you think!

• Locked thread