Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
6 weeks of undercover police propositioning people in the park led to one criminal charge.

And you guys are defending it. :bravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
Is it really that controversial to think that if, over the course of six weeks, TPS hands out thousands of dollars in fines to almost exclusively gay men for public loving, that maybe we should be looking for a different explanation and solution then sending out our finest jackbooted thugs to extort money until the gays go away?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
As a SWM who has hosed in High Park in broad daylight, I'm surprised how triggering this issue is for some of you.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

infernal machines posted:

As a SWM who has hosed in High Park in broad daylight, I'm surprised how triggering this issue is for some of you.

It's easy to forget the strong puritanical streak coursing just below the surface of the Ontario psyche.

e: At least I'm consistently surprised by it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have hosed In A Park before, lock me the hell up

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have hosed In A Park before, lock me the hell up

same, except don't lock me up please

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I like that this page is parkfuckers only so far, lets keep it going.

e: Here's a good little writeup about the Toronto bathhouse raids of the 70s/80s for anyone interested. http://torontoist.com/2015/05/historicist-raiding-the-bathhouses/

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009
i hope the tps turn their attention to teenagers trading handies in movie theatres next. Like i don't know if any of you guys have ever been to this park but it seems like the scourge public sex could have been way better handled with better lighting and regular bike cop patrols not a 6 week sting operation. The surrounding area has been heavily gentrified in the last 5 years which seems like the most salient bit.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Gatineau Park is the best for outdoor banging

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

There are tons of good places to Make The gently caress in Stanley Park in Van

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

lowly abject turd posted:

Like i don't know if any of you guys have ever been to this park but it seems like the scourge public sex could have been way better handled with better lighting and regular bike cop patrols not a 6 week sting operation. The surrounding area has been heavily gentrified in the last 5 years which seems like the most salient bit.

Yes, this would have been cheaper and more effective, as well as helped to reduce crime in general in the area and promoted positive police/community interactions. It would not however have disproportionately targeted homosexuals.

Funny, that.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Yes, this would have been cheaper and more effective, as well as helped to reduce crime in general in the area and promoted positive police/community interactions. It would not however have disproportionately targeted homosexuals.

Funny, that.
Wow can't believe you're actually defending perverts who have sex in the butt

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

THC posted:

Wow can't believe you're actually defending perverts who have sex in the butt

Listen buddy, missionary penis in vagina sex in the safety of my own bedroom only.

If I was allowed to be doing anything else, I'm sure the government would let me know.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Listen buddy, missionary penis in vagina sex in the safety of my own bedroom only.

If I was allowed to be doing anything else, I'm sure the government would let me know.

You ever hear of this guy named Pierre Elliot Trudeau?!?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Let's stop talking about parkfuckin' and start talking about our old friend Stevie.

Trump presidency could lead to more 'stable' U.S. foreign policy, Stephen Harper says

quote:

Speech in New Delhi is one of former PM's first major foreign policy speeches since leaving office

By John Paul Tasker, CBC News Posted: Jan 19, 2017 2:02 PM ET

Former prime minister Stephen Harper says he is taking a "glass half full" approach to the ascendancy of Donald Trump to the White House, while acknowledging the U.S. election is to blame for a great deal of uncertainty.

The former Conservative leader delivered one of his first major foreign policy speeches since leaving office Thursday in New Delhi, where he pronounced on a series of political shock waves, including the Brexit vote and Trump.

"I think if you look around the world, the big trend is unmistakable: it is growing political uncertainty, especially in places we used to think of the most politically stable in the world," Harper said in a 25-minute address.

He said that Trump's promise to be more "transactional" and isolationist in his approach to global affairs could lead to a "much more stable American foreign policy."

"I had a front row seat for 10 years, up close, watching the United States foreign policy swing back and forth from overreaching global adventures and then to withering self-criticism and retreat. Trump's approach could avoid both the tendency of the U.S. in one era to overestimate its capabilities and in another era to overstate its limitations."

Harper said while Trump has hardly been specific, there are "broad outlines" to how he will upend long-established U.S. positions, notably his more adversarial approach to China.

"Trump is going to reverse the cornerstone of American foreign policy," Harper said. "He is going to reject and reverse the idea that the U.S. has an overreaching responsibility for global affairs. The U.S. will cease to view the rise of China as essentially benign."

Big trade deals 'dead'

Harper said Trump is simply reflecting the mood of his voters by taking a stronger stance against China, with which the U.S. has run major trade imbalances.

The former prime minister also said he thinks large, multilateral trade deals are "dead."

He says Trump's position on the Trans-Pacific Partnership makes it a "certainty" that the 12 country trade-pact — which his government negotiated — will not see the light of day.

"You may be surprised to know I'm not entirely unsympathetic to Mr. Trump's view on this. I'm not entirely sure where he's going, but … what I share in common with Mr. Trump is I've actually negotiated deals."

Trump, in opposing TPP, is simply reflecting the anxiety of the U.S. voters who were not adequately "brought along," Harper said, unlike Canadians who were broadly supportive of his government's push to pen more free trade deals.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

MA-Horus posted:

There are honestly people defending dudes whipping they dicks out in front of minors in this thread

I'm pretty sure they were sticking their dicks in each others' butt, not whipping them out in front of anyone.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Don Davies, federal NDP health critic, says it's time Canada talks about legalizing hard drugs. The NDP MP for Vancouver Kingsway argues the fentanyl crisis has reached a point that requires a national discussion about ending prohibition

quote:

On a sunny but cold January afternoon, Don Davies, the NDP MP for Vancouver Kingsway, met with people in the Downtown Eastside working on the front lines of the fentanyl crisis.

In a back alley near the intersection of East Hastings and Columbia streets, he spoke with Ann Livingston, a long-time advocate for harm reduction who helped bring North America’s first supervised-injection site to Vancouver. At a nearby overdose-prevention site, Davies, the Opposition health critic, met with volunteers watching over people injecting drugs. At the headquarters of the Vancouver Area Network of Drug Users (VANDU), long-time member Hugh Lampkin told Davies about the roles that childhood trauma and abuse often play in an addiction to opioids. Up the street at a needle depot, Daniel Benson, a peer employed by the Portland Hotel Society, outlined an argument for the full legalization and regulation of hard drugs like heroin and cocaine.

Everyone recounted watching someone overdose on fentanyl, a synthetic opioid that was linked to 60 percent of illicit-drug deaths in 2016. A few people told Davies they had lost a friend to the crisis.

At the end of it all, Davies said the argument for legalization raised questions he has been contemplating for some time.

“What I heard was a lot of people talking about the need to discuss finding safe, cheap ways to distribute drugs in a legal form,” he told the Georgia Straight. “I think we are at the point, as a country, where we can start opening a dialogue about finding a better method of distributing drugs, legally, to those who are addicted to them so that we can avoid the unnecessary death, destruction, and crime that is so clearly associated with the current model [prohibition].”

Davies was quick to add he was not in a position to articulate a policy on legalization for the federal NDP as a whole. But he said his personal view is that it is time to have a national conversation about bringing hard drugs into a regulatory system, perhaps similar to how powerful prescription narcotics like methadone and OxyContin are controlled by the federal government and regional health authorities.

“I am in favour of starting that dialogue,” he said. “When we drive people underground to buy drugs in unsafe circumstances—so that people are not sure of what they are getting, not sure of the concentration of what they are getting, and forced to do drugs furtively and in isolated circumstances—it leads to a host of problems that I saw very clearly on my walk.”

(It’s important to understand the difference between decriminalization and legalization. Decriminalization simply removes judicial penalties for possessing drugs, leaving supply in the hands of criminals who might cut drugs like heroin with even more dangerous substances such as fentanyl. Legalization involves bringing the supply of narcotics under government control, and heavily regulating their distribution and sales.)

Federal health minister Jane Philpott was unavailable for an interview. Reached via phone, her spokesperson, Andrew MacKendrick, took no position on the legalization and regulation of hard drugs but said that in shaping the government’s response to the overdose epidemic, nothing is off the table.

“We’re not going to shut down ideas if they may help address the crisis,” he told the Straight.

“The Minister will always have an open ear to suggestions and ideas on how we can continue working with our partners across the country to address this national public health crisis.”

Health Canada, MacKendrick emphasized, recently announced a $5-billion, 10-year investment in mental-health care that is designed, in part, to address the overdose epidemic.

It is estimated that more than 800 people in B.C. died of an illicit-drug overdose in 2016. That’s up from 510 the previous year and 370 in 2014.

In a December interview with the Straight, B.C. health minister Terry Lake said he has heard conversations about legalization happening at the federal level.

“When I was at the opioid summit in Ottawa [on November 18], people would bring this up,” he said. “The federal government, really, has the policy pen on the way we look at controlled substances. A lot of people are saying we should be like some countries in Europe and just legalize all drugs and make sure there is a safe supply. But I’m not sure. I don’t know enough.”

Davies said there are obvious needs for greater investment in prevention and treatment. But he noted that some people will continue to use opioids regardless.

“When you see people obtaining dangerous drugs off the street that are killing them, I think it would be really interesting—and a timely discussion to have—to see if we can distribute those drugs in the established pharmaceutical system,” he said.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I firmly believe that we, as a nation, are okay with drug users dying and will be right up until suburban white kids start dying from fentanyl or whatever the next terror opiate is.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I firmly believe that we, as a nation, are okay with drug users dying and will be right up until suburban white kids start dying from fentanyl or whatever the next terror opiate is.

I saw the CBC make plenty of coverage over those two white girls who are now on an abstinence program. We're basically there already.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Reading about people's thoughts on drug deaths on social media, gossip around town, and gems like "Vibrant Victoria" there seems to be a ton, potentially majority, of people who don't care or even think it's a good thing. Street addicts cost society money, live miserable lives, and contribute nothing. Them dying from an OD ends their suffering and is a net benefit to society. People will either outright proudly admit this view, or at the least say that they dont' really feel anything and just don't care.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Actually, Ontarians of any colour would do.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 19, 2017

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

This country really blows

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Reading about people's thoughts on drug deaths on social media, gossip around town, and gems like "Vibrant Victoria" there seems to be a ton, potentially majority, of people who don't care or even think it's a good thing. Street addicts cost society money, live miserable lives, and contribute nothing. Them dying from an OD ends their suffering and is a net benefit to society. People will either outright proudly admit this view, or at the least say that they dont' really feel anything and just don't care.

The people on there really are scum. Human suffering and cost don't factor into their opinions. They are happy to have society pay more as long as homeless addicts experience more misery.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

Jan posted:

I'm pretty sure they were sticking their dicks in each others' butt, not whipping them out in front of anyone.

You can't even see a dick when it's in a butt. Technically, those fellows were doing the right thing by hiding their nightmare-inducing dongs from impressionable minds.

I suppose that never occurred to Toronto's finest in the minutes between when they finished up masturbating and moved in for the arrest, though.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Pinterest Mom posted:

My first boyfriend was a sex offender because I was 17 and he was 18.

Jesus. What poo poo hole US state was this in?

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

patonthebach posted:

Jesus. What poo poo hole US state was this in?

I thought there were exceptions if both parties were within 36 months of age or something

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Landsknecht posted:

I thought there were exceptions if both parties were within 36 months of age or something

Only for heterosexual couples 🙃

Age of consent for PIV sex is 16, with a five year grace window for 14 and 15 year olds.

Age of consent for sodomy is 18.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 20, 2017

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Pinterest Mom posted:

Only for heterosexual couples 🙃

Age of consent for PIV sex is 16, with a five year grace window for 14 and 15 year olds.

Age of consent for sodomy is 18.

gently caress I didn't think they have enforced that law since the eighties. That's just terrible. And how the judge didn't notice the one year in-between and withdraw the charges. And gently caress those parents if they ratted him out.

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 20, 2017

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Clearly he manipulated you into consensual butt stuff.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

patonthebach posted:

gently caress I didn't think they have enforced that law since the eighties. That's just terrible. And how the judge didn't notice the one year in-between and withdraw the charges. And gently caress those parents if they ratted him out.

:)

quote:

Anal intercourse remains in the Criminal Code and is in effect in five provinces and three territories. The pernicious effects of the law should concern all Canadians. To this day, there remains considerable confusion about its application. As usual, police have taken advantage of ambiguity in the law. Even after Ontario struck down the law in 1995, police continued to charge people with anal intercourse. Between 2008 and 2014 in Ontario, 22 people were charged with anal intercourse under Section 159. Two of those were youth. More than half of those charged in Quebec were youth.

http://egale.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/FINAL_REPORT_EGALE.pdf

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
How many of those were not also charged with sexual assault.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

M.McFly posted:

Just to add to this, there have instances where Police have been specifically invite to wear their uniforms in the march by Pride organizers. This happened just last year in Calgary. The only instances I can find where Police have been asked not to attend in uniform have all come from BLM and BLM-type groups, and all in the past year or so. This is why accusations of 'co-opting the march' are flying around.

I have a number of friends that march every year in Pride and they're universally disgusted with Toronto-Pride's actions. Yeah, I know how it sounds when I say "my gay friends say...", but they're really my only direction connection to Pride events. Unfortunately, I literally have no black friends in this city so I cant ask them for their opinions.

I was at College Park when the BLM protest happened. I can assure it was a rainbow coalition of pissed off people who thought they were under attack. And by that I mean, they started their protest off with smoke bombs one week after the Orlando massacre. On top of that there had been that Pride event overseas a year earlier that was attacked with smoke bombs. To pile on the "my gay friends say..." thing, I was with a POC gay couple, my lesbian sister and her wonderful bear friend, so it's just swell watching all my straight white friends talk about shutting up and letting BLM speak for all black and/or gay people in order to be a good ally. The idea that this ban has achieved anything progressive is magical thinking. Wokus pocus.

This whole thing has been the turning point of me realizing why I can barely stand activists anymore. It's not any of the causes, it's that the type of people who become their leaders all want to showcase power, when the thing that's going to win me over is showing their vulnerability. When someone is shouting "we dont feel safe with police around" over a megaphone while they're also setting off smoke bombs in a public space, I can barely take you seriously let alone have empathy for you. Someone taking the microphone and telling their personal stories of what made them come to fear police presence is more effective to me than slogans and posing.

Anyhow, if Pride felt like things with police had gotten better over the years, they were in a position to act as a bridge builder between BLM and cops and blew their chance to make a difference.

MasterSitsu fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 20, 2017

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Every night I pray for a Great Canadian leader whos both against the war on drugs and carbon taxes. I thought Kelly leitch was the one but apparently she wants to make weed illegal again So gently caress her.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I'm sorry those mean loud activists made you feel a pale sliver of the discomfort that is an everyday reality for queer people of colour in their dealings with Toronto cops

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

patonthebach posted:

It was still a thing enough that it was debated when Harper took power.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

THC posted:

I'm sorry those mean loud activists made you feel a pale sliver of the discomfort that is an everyday reality for queer people of colour in their dealings with Toronto cops

I'm a straight white person who people thought was gay in high school and was thusly myself, violently gay bashed in front of a noodle restaurant by older teens using their skateboards as weapons, so why don't you keep your comments in your pocket.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My white friend got attacked by a crazy homeless person who kept shouting "gently caress you friend of the family!! die friend of the family!!" at him. I should ask for his important opinion on race and BLM now that he knows how it is to be black.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 20, 2017

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Nah.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Just say you're bisexual. It doesn't matter if you'd never actually had sex with a dude or if you ever will, it's really more just a state of mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

As a straight white male with very important opinions I have lots of stories about being adjacent to queer POC, let me speak for them to tell you how they felt.