Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Chilichimp posted:

Ever consider probating someone until they cool off? TB actually does contribute to discussion, maybe just not to this one which has become a discussion about your demodding of KM.

Agreed, TB is a pretty good poster usually. I've learned a fair amount from Her and KM in this and a few other D&D threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

flashman posted:

Just because someone in the clique reports a post doesn't force you to click probate.

It is pretty obvious when someone is being a poo poo stirrer or is drive by poo poo posting in most threads, especially when they are active in them.

What is this clique you are talking about?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

flashman posted:

Just because someone in the clique reports a post doesn't force you to click probate.

How old are you? This isn't middle school.

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

Lowtax posted:

Sorry, like before, I don't know or care about the skin color or genders of people on here (then you guys started making fun of me with the "I DONT SEE SKIN COLOR" references)

Yeah they're making fun of you for saying such patently ridiculous things when you're reaching in to take direct action regarding the negrotown, feminism, and misogynoir threads. I hope you can see why such information might be relevant context in this situation?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

I think we see the difference of opinion re:modding style.

You should have banned more folks, KM.

In hindsight I agree. I should've been the authoritarian SJW Black Supremacist they say I am.

But honestly I truly do care about D&D, which is why I want it to be a place where people can debate & discuss without racism, sexism, anti-lgbt poo poo, and general degenerates.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Isn't "I don't see skin color" right up there with "I'm not racist, but..."?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Lowtax I think that there is no good way to moderate D&D because having an uptight tone-moderated political forum on a site like this, especially if modern GBS is sort of the ideal of the site, is fruitless. Koalas March seems to do a pretty good job at avoiding the worst type of cat lady bans while still trying to keep a civil discussion going, which I think is about the best you're going to manage in here.

Edit km comes off like an sjw and a dick a lot because seemingly we're as a society unable to perceive anyone as anything but that or a ranting klansman anymore because the internet has broken the entire society and flooded real life.

shovelbum fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 19, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Koalas March posted:

In hindsight I agree. I should've been the authoritarian SJW Black Supremacist they say I am.

But honestly I truly do care about D&D, which is why I want it to be a place where people can debate & discuss without racism, sexism, anti-lgbt poo poo, and general degenerates.

Man, see, those are all legit viewpoint that are also worthy of resp....... HAAAAAAHAHAHAHAA, I can't even finish typing that sentence.

Jesus Christ, what a stupid forums derail this has become.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

well yeah but i was trying to ease into it mate

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Lowtax posted:

Sorry, like before, I don't know or care about the skin color or genders of people on here (then you guys started making fun of me with the "I DONT SEE SKIN COLOR" references)

The things is this is all well and fine when you're dealing with most of the rest of the site. Opinions and posts about movies, video games, tv shows, sports, or whatever should be gender and race apathetic as long as they aren't dealing with those specific aspects.

But here where we're talking about politics, society, and the events of things that affect people then they are important issues. These are things that have been used and are still used as a way of quelling opposition or silencing those that might say something that the Power That Is doesn't like, or overly promoting them as 'One of the Good Ones' when the Power That Is does like it.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Koalas March posted:

Yeah, would have made the Taxman more money if you had just banned people :10bux:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
I'm really disappointed to see KM demodded. She did a great job, and genuinely seems interested in elevating the discussion. When I had my spat with negromancer, she and TB were extremely patient over PMs explaining to me where I had some racial blinders on, and I'm grateful to both of them for helping me expand my perspective.

So I hope you reconsider, Lowtax, because all racial issues or other emotionally fraught issues aside, she's just a flat-out good mod. Obviously, I understand that you want the mods to represent the forums in a way that you like, and you have every right to insist upon that - you own the drat place, after all. But you could talk to her about it before you demod her, right? See if you can reach an understanding, or whatever?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I think what lowtax is saying is that he doesn't care if a poster is a sex/race, not that he doesn't see them.

But I mean, in this, the D&D sub-forum, where we discuss politics, political identity, et al; those seems like important things to give a poo poo about.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Majorian posted:

I'm really disappointed to see KM demodded. She did a great job, and genuinely seems interested in elevating the discussion. When I had my spat with negromancer, she and TB were extremely patient over PMs explaining to me where I had some racial blinders on, and I'm grateful to both of them for helping me expand my perspective.

So I hope you reconsider, Lowtax, because all racial issues or other emotionally fraught issues aside, she's just a flat-out good mod. Obviously, I understand that you want the mods to represent the forums in a way that you like, and you have every right to insist upon that - you own the drat place, after all. But you could talk to her about it before you demod her, right? See if you can reach an understanding, or whatever?

Yeah, about that.

fatherdog posted:

I would have addressed this in the mod forums, but you stopped responding to me. Since you're now actively misrepresenting the conversation that took place there, I don't feel I can trust you to be honest with posters regarding anything I say there, either. So -

You came in asking for a discussion about a post. You got several pages of honest discussion about that post. Then you vanished for 24 hours, came back and said you'd gotten nothing but snarky quips, and demodded people who were attempting to explain their position politely and extensively. I don't know if you're just incapable of reading, or if you decided beforehand the outcome you wanted and ignored any post that didn't fit your narrative, but at this point I don't much care. You've spent the last few years ignoring the site for months at a time, coming back for a couple days to blunder around banning and unbanning people without talking to the mods or admins or having any idea what's going on, and then vanishing again. I fully expect you to do so again once your attention span runs out, but the amount of damage you've done this time makes me disinclined to stick around to clean up afterwards. Consider this my request to be de-modded.

This is why having any thread at all about airing laundry from behind the scenes is bad in general. It should either be viewable to begin with so nobody can be accused of filtering a discussion or nobody should talk about it outside that area.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 19, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Koalas March posted:

But honestly I truly do care about D&D, which is why I want it to be a place where people can debate & discuss without... general degenerates.

:ohdear:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I genuinely thought KM was a good mod for her short time on the team. I know there aren't any hard and fast rules for how mods are chosen, but it seems to me like having someone who is respected by a good chunk of the forum as a Good Poster would be a no-brainer for mod. It's very disappointing to me to see this happen, and I hope the decision gets reversed.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Chilichimp posted:

Ever consider probating someone until they cool off?
Out of the 19 days so far this month TB was probated for 15 of them.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
It's pretty sad that black people can't even have a thread to post in in peace. I mean the internet is very vast you see. But no. Not one thread.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Koalas March posted:

So basically you're Barack Obama is what I'm seeing here

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

It's pretty sad that black people can't even have a thread to post in in peace. I mean the internet is very vast you see. But no. Not one thread.

I don't think this thread is going anywhere?

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Okay let me repeat this again: I DO NOT KNOW WHAT ETHNICITY OR GENDER PEOPLE ARE ON HERE BECAUSE I DO NOT ASK AND WHEN PEOPLE BUY AN ACCOUNT, I DO NOT REQUIRE THEM TO INFORM ME OF THEIR RACE, SKIN COLOR, SEXUALITY, GENDER, ETC ETC. All I see is the person's avatar. It is literally impossible for me to determine the race or gender of a person unless it's revealed in a post of theirs I have read. "I don't see skin color" is 100% true here because THERE IS NO RULE REQUIRING PEOPLE TO PREFACE EVERY POST WITH THEIR SKIN COLOR.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Fluffdaddy posted:

I don't think this thread is going anywhere?

the posters in it are though

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Lowtax posted:

Okay let me repeat this again: I DO NOT KNOW WHAT ETHNICITY OR GENDER PEOPLE ARE ON HERE BECAUSE I DO NOT ASK AND WHEN PEOPLE BUY AN ACCOUNT, I DO NOT REQUIRE THEM TO INFORM ME OF THEIR RACE, SKIN COLOR, SEXUALITY, GENDER, ETC ETC. All I see is the person's avatar. It is literally impossible for me to determine the race or gender of a person unless it's revealed in a post of theirs I have read. "I don't see skin color" is 100% true here because THERE IS NO RULE REQUIRING PEOPLE TO PREFACE EVERY POST WITH THEIR SKIN COLOR.

As a black man, can I have my Goku back instead of this stupid red text.

botany posted:

the posters in it are though

Why?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Lowtax, I think a lot of us would feel better about your decision to demod KM if you could just point to three probations she made that you don't agree with and why. Give us solid reasons for your decision. That should be easy, right?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Lowtax posted:

FYI that person never posts here and was just trolling you

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Lowtax posted:

the thing is a lot of the people that complain do see it and that's why that subset of complainers are complaining

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I agree that KM was a good mod.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I'm going to nth that I thought that KM was a really good mod, and the presence of someone willing to actively monitor and steer these conversations really increased my participation on this forum. This thread and the feminism thread in particular were able to move to a really informative, interesting place due in no small part to her participation and being unafraid to use her powers.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Lowtax posted:

Context is key, given the thread this discussion is happening in.

negromancer posted:

WELCOME TO NEGROTOWN!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg58d8opQKA

So this is the Black (not Blacks) Culture Thread!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZHwGnGrm_k

What will be discussed here:

Blackness

More Blackness

Super Blackness

Women of Color

Men of Color

Gay Men of Color

Trans People of Color

Aaaaaand everything in between!

GROUND RULES

Whooo! This is going to be a lot...so:

1. THIS AINT A RACISM OR ANTI-RACISM 101 CLASS!

Seriously, the posters here are not present to hold your hand through the discovery of your white privilege and all that it entails. We have jobs, families, and we won't be your magical negro to impart on you life wisdom on how to be a better person.

If you want a good primer, here's some good places to start.

Read those before you post.

After all, there's a test at the end.

2. SHUT UP AND LISTEN.

You don't know everything. In fact, in the sum totality of human knowledge, you really don't know poo poo. That goes for you, me, everyone. So if someone is posting about their lived experience, a study they read, etc, and you don't actually know (as in, not how you feel about something while lacking any actual context), then shut up and LISTEN. It's how we grow as people to become better people.

3. KILL WHITEY

Ooops, didn't mean to copy that one over from the Secret Black Cabal meeting....

I've said too much.

Moving on...

4. DON'T DOUBLE DOWN

Oh, no, you've stumbled in here on good faith and then said a thing some consider lovely.

DON'T DOUBLE DOWN!

Apologize, recognize what you said was lovely, and keep it moving. It's for the best.

5. DON'T BE THIS PERSON

"Black-on-white crime is proof that black people just hate all whites!"

"Talking about race is racist!"

"BET, Black Girls Rock and Black History Month exclude white people. How racist!!"

“I don’t see race. I only see the human race.”

“Talking about issues in terms of ‘white people’ and ‘white privilege’ is reverse racism.”

“You [person of color] clearly don’t know what racism is. According to Webster’s Dictionary...”

“You [person of color] said something about white people doing racist things, so I demand you explain this to me right now.”

“But my [person of color] friend said it was OK if I did it [racially problematic thing].”

“Stop attacking me for having privileges just because I’m white. It’s racist and hurtful.”

“I’m sick of pretending that [people of color] need special rights and programs just because they aren’t white. We have problems too, you know.”

All that has been addressed before.

6. RELAX

No one is going to jump down your throat if you ask a question, especially if its a nuanced one with no real right answer, like "Do all black people say nigga?" or "Is wearing weave ok?"

We will however, ask you to leave in a not polite manner if you ask "why do black people commit SO MUCH CRIME?"

...because gently caress you.

But seriously, I know you may feel awkward about coming in here and participating, and we as black people totally get it. That's pretty much everywhere for us. So sit back , learn, relax, have fun, and feel free to ask educated and quality questions.

7. RAGE FODDER

'Rage fodder' is oppressive memes or posts that will simply trigger and enrage group members without purpose. These threads are generally not productive, and are not conducive to a safe space. If you *have* to share something like this, please put the image(s) in the comments and explain how it makes you feel and what you need the group's help with when working through those emotions. You can also post the image via tumblr or imgur.

8. IF YOU'RE ALREADY THAT GUY FROM RULE 5, DON'T PARTICIPATE

We have dealt with plenty of unrepentant racists already, so if you feel like this is the place to defend or redeem yourself, or argue about how totally not racist you are and how you're just a poor understood white man 400 lb hacker covered in cheeto dust rear end in a top hat person.

We get it, and also we don't want you here. You know who you are.

The mods know about the creation of this thread, and will be keeping a very watchful eye, so unless you're looking to take a nice long break from SA, I suggest you troll elsewhere.

:siren: TAKE NOTE: :siren:
I’m Not Your Racial Confessor
The black person’s burden of managing white emotions in the age of Trump.

Also, if you want the black experience summed up in 2 music videos, here ya go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_AQFnqMY3E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lXD0vv-ds8

Now with that out the way, welcome to Negrotown!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Lowtax posted:

If you'd like to nominate another mod, I'd be up for it. I don't want the drive-bys here either.

This is such an empty offer. You don't know what a drive-by looks like in the context of a racism or sexism thread because you don't give a poo poo about those subjects.

So we nominate someone who will be effective, the people they rightfully ban come crying to you, and you reinstate them and de-mod our pick because you think think they're being too heavy handed.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

ThePeavstenator posted:

the thing is a lot of the people that complain do see it and that's why that subset of complainers are complaining

And the people who do tend to attack others because of that are also the types that tend to remember/record such details.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

FYI that person never posts here and was just trolling you
But that person was echoing a similar sentiment I've seen in this thread repeatedly.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Out of the 19 days so far this month TB was probated for 15 of them.

Including one from... hey look Koala's March.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Okay how about this: Negrotown can have its own subforum, and KM can mod it.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Yeah I don't particular like KM as a poster, but goodness knows that this thread, the feminism thread, and mysognoir need a mod who actually reads and participates in the thread, and her actually modding has been fine.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Lowtax posted:

hell yeah!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Lowtax posted:

What's the catch?

EDIT: Only if it's literally named Negrotown and it's with the understanding that people post there at their own risk?

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
Hopefully it doesn't turn into another greenwood.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Chilichimp posted:

Including one from... hey look Koala's March.
Yeah, because KM was a good mod.

Nobody who gets probabted every other day for 3 months needs "cooling off time."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
we can call the forum "bantustan" maybe!

• Locked thread