Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'll raise my hand and say I was a big fan of Sandow, but even then I recognized he had a ceiling. It's not like I was clamoring for him to be world champion, but he had some charisma and was good at working crowds. WWE's midcard needs reliable guys like that, so I thought he could be better used than just a comedy jobber.

I don't know where the gently caress that charisma and crowd-working went, though, because Aron Rex is the wettest of wet farts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

"RVD wasn't buried in his TNA debut just because Sting kicked out at 3.1, beat him with a baseball bat for 8 minutes and the camera focused on Sting and Hogan while only showing him crying in agony."

Being squashed like you're nothing at Wrestlemania by The Big Show at the moment you finally turn on your evil boss is about the biggest possible burial you can give somebody. The network ensured more people saw that pre-show battle royal than probably any given episode of Smackdown that year.

Big Show didn't squash Sandow like he was nothing though? They had a competitive finish that Big Show ended up winning.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
Aron Rex is cool, he did this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qKi24EsjEM

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Big Show didn't squash Sandow like he was nothing though? They had a competitive finish that Big Show ended up winning.

Well, the actual burial was the Macho Man gimmick anyways. If you watch the promo he gets an at least decent response, more than enough to justify a midcard push off the Miz feud. But when he starts his dumb baby mimmick routine on Axel the crowd dies because they know they've been waiting all that time for nothing, again. The pop he gets for jumping Axel is tepid at best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txcrsgw_xlY

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jan 19, 2017

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm still surprised that out of the dozens of impressions Sandow did, Macho Man was the one thing he couldn't pull off.

You can find a dozen guys in a dozen bars who do "OHHH YEAH" better than Sandow did.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I like how Curtis Axel was being funny and entertaining with his "never eliminated from the Rumble" and "Axelmania!" shtick and WWE's response to his hard work was "HOGAN LOL" and just made him inexplicably start impersonating Hulk Hogan. The humor in the character was his deluded self-importance, not that he was a loving impersonator.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Julio Cruz posted:

Matt Morgan? He was never champion but usually heavily pushed despite never being any good at all.

e: also MVP has to be up there.

I thought Matt Morgan had something and Vince was dumb for letting him go.

Shows why I shouldn't operate a wrasslin' company. :downs:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, Morgan was big, had a great look, and never got any kind of real shot in WWE. So it's not that surprising that there were people behind pushing him. And if I remember right he was brought in while Cornette was involved and Cornette was a huge advocate of the guy from their OVW days.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Matt Morgan couldn't even do a lock up correctly. He had a look and that was it.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Matt Morgan had the gimmick of blue chipper who was going to be something some day for nearly a decade. He could have gone into his 40's with people talking about his potential.

Main thing I remember about Matt Morgan was that he botched something basic on a smaller indy guy in OVW, Paul London I think, and then tried to bully them into taking the blame despite the guy he botched on having a concussion and not knowing where he was.

Matt Morgan can gently caress off imo.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah TNA couldn't shut up about Morgan being this major can't-miss prospect for years.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DJExile posted:

Yeah TNA couldn't shut up about Morgan being this major can't-miss prospect for years.

They called him that in his Slammiversary 2015 match iirc

It was against another blue chipper who would carry this can into the future.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

They called him that in his Slammiversary 2015 match iirc

at which point he would have been 37 or 38. jesus christ

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, I was quickly proving wrong.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DJExile posted:

And had been with the company like six or seven years, if I remember right.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

whiteyfats posted:

And had been with the company like six or seven years, if I remember right.

Even longer. He debuted in 2007. He was there a long time.

E: I remember when he was the sole tag titles holder because.... I think Hernandez was legit hurt or something, and they still booked him as a heel, which was the dumbest drat thing.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DJExile posted:

He had actually retired by that point, but he came so his son could watch him wrestle a match.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

He had actually retired by that point, but he came so his son could watch him wrestle a match.

Aaah, i didn't know that

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
My kid likes me too much, book me in a TNA match.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gonzo McFee posted:

My kid likes me too much, book me in a TNA match.

What's Heat Slayer doing in the iMpact Zone?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Benne posted:

I'll raise my hand and say I was a big fan of Sandow, but even then I recognized he had a ceiling. It's not like I was clamoring for him to be world champion, but he had some charisma and was good at working crowds. WWE's midcard needs reliable guys like that, so I thought he could be better used than just a comedy jobber.

I don't know where the gently caress that charisma and crowd-working went, though, because Aron Rex is the wettest of wet farts.

Well, WWE has writers. And makeup artist. And probably body language coaches as well.

TNA let Rex be himself and boy did that turn out to be a mistake.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

http://www.tnamecca.com/2017/01/impact-live-discussion-for-jan-19-2017.html?m=1

Chris Regal could not live in a world without TNA and Dixie :(

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Holy poo poo

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Aw man now I'm gonna feel awful when I laugh while catching up with the Stupid Wrestling Fan Opinions thread.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

"Wow that is going to be one hilarious blow up."

"Oh.

Wow.

gently caress."

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Legit RIP.

Dude was a cornerstone in TNA fandom.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

lol

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TNA would be proud - he died on 1.18

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

his action wasnt total nonstop

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Chris Regal, a life wasted

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Thanks to the BigDawg for reporting this news

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I never believed that old "TNA will outlive us all" chestnut until this very moment.

LanceBurrito
Jan 6, 2013

EugeneJ posted:

Holy poo poo

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

EugeneJ posted:

:stare:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Really hosed up that rovert never reported that Chris Regal was TNA superfan Miguel Ferrer all along.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

:vince:

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

First they take away Josh Barnett's title reign, then they take away $30 guitars, now they take away Chris Regal.

When will it end, Jarrett?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

He was so thin skinned he's probably just changing his username to avoid heat

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

He was so thin skinned he's probably just changing his username to avoid heat

What's lageRsirhC doing on the TNA Mecca forums?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

coconono posted:

Legit RIP.

Dude was a cornerstone in TNA fandom.

Yeah, RIP.

EugeneJ posted:

Holy poo poo :stare: