Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Vine is dying today so here we celebrate our baby brother being a comedy hero.
https://youtu.be/G_pcMxKmOOY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Gross, all those were filmed on a toilet

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Jesus these McDonald's commercials

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'm glad for Ron.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Jesus these McDonald's commercials

there's more holes

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Justice Sloth posted:

It also helps Taako's memorable moments that Justin is literally the only player in the group who actually remembers to use his unique class abilities.

It's not really Travis's fault. Fighters don't have a drat thing in their feature set more interesting than "I reduce that incoming damage by 1d8" or "I attack twice instead of once". The fact that Griffin is also stingy about gear with direct combat effects means Travis has ended up playing a pretty awful character from a combat effectiveness perspective.

Justin also blatantly cheats about spell slots and prepared spells. Which is fine from an entertainment angle* but means that he definitely comes across as a noticeably stronger and more important character.

*As an example of this, the True Seeing spell that served as the climax point for the most recent episode is a level 6 slot, one of the most powerful spells available to the party, which Taaco gets to cast once per day. He already spent that slot on a Disintegration spell to kill the ooze last episode. This is even in an arc which Griffin opened by saying "Now that your spells are so powerful I'm going to need you to actually keep track of spell slots for me". But casting that True Seeing was interesting and good for the story, even if it "shouldn't" have been possible.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
D&D whatever-ediyion seems to be one of those efitions where melee characters are boring and bad while spell casters can do whatever.

Serf
May 5, 2011

The problem is that in the Fighters Are Fun and Good Edition, combat takes forever and generally isn't all that interesting to listen to, and it needs an actual map. It wouldn't make for good podcasting.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Improbable Lobster posted:

D&D whatever-ediyion seems to be one of those efitions where melee characters are boring and bad while spell casters can do whatever.

Kinda, yeah, but it's more that fighters only real job is to hit things real good. Wizards can damage, but they are much better at utility, which because Griffin does non-standard combat a lot it just makes for cooler poo poo. Like Garyl doesn't do any damage, but he's cool as hell.

Also fighters are basically tanks compared to wizards being made of wet paper, which is why Taako is half or all the way dead from one hit most of the time.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Based on my experience with Mutants & Masterminds d20, which isn't even a particularly good supers game, if Clint ever gets a supers campaign off the ground it could be great, since it presumably wouldn't have the same wizard-supremacy problems that D&D tends toward.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
M&M has its own problems, though. Really, the gang would be better of going with something rules light for a future system, it'd match their play style a lot better.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

there's more holes

Griffin's aghast "Justin!..." absolutely destroyed me.

Serf
May 5, 2011

The funny thing is that Wizards of the Coast's D&D divison is now four people working in a forgotten broom closet in the Magic the Gathering office, so they can't even properly take advantage of the popularity of TAZ because no one at Hasbro cares about D&D aside from the brand name. And the brand name is probably the only reason they're using the system.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Undead Hippo posted:

It's not really Travis's fault. Fighters don't have a drat thing in their feature set more interesting than "I reduce that incoming damage by 1d8" or "I attack twice instead of once". The fact that Griffin is also stingy about gear with direct combat effects means Travis has ended up playing a pretty awful character from a combat effectiveness perspective.

Justin also blatantly cheats about spell slots and prepared spells. Which is fine from an entertainment angle* but means that he definitely comes across as a noticeably stronger and more important character.

*As an example of this, the True Seeing spell that served as the climax point for the most recent episode is a level 6 slot, one of the most powerful spells available to the party, which Taaco gets to cast once per day. He already spent that slot on a Disintegration spell to kill the ooze last episode. This is even in an arc which Griffin opened by saying "Now that your spells are so powerful I'm going to need you to actually keep track of spell slots for me". But casting that True Seeing was interesting and good for the story, even if it "shouldn't" have been possible.

I can understand being more lenient about spell slots and stuff when they're not being used in combat. If you're getting to use powerful spells left and right against an enemy, yeah, you want to keep track of that because it's unfair, but True Seeing was outside of that.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

I can understand being more lenient about spell slots and stuff when they're not being used in combat. If you're getting to use powerful spells left and right against an enemy, yeah, you want to keep track of that because it's unfair, but True Seeing was outside of that.

But that would just lead to Wizards being about to solve basically every problem with a few spells and then also win any fight because 3.X/5th ED spell design is busted. The only real balancing mechanic the class has is the preparing spells ahead of time and limited casts. It's a barely working system to start, ignoring it kind of just exacerbates the whole "Travis has to cheat on basically ever roll just to keep up with Justin and Clint" thing.

What I'm saying is I hope thier next adventure is in a better system that fits their free-form goofs a bit better.

mythomanic
Aug 19, 2009
I feel like the boys could do well switching to a PbtA system like Dungeon World next season. I haven't played it, but it seems to work well for the folks over at Friends at the Table.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Switching systems would be pointless because Griffin's story-focused approach is basically rolling homebrew at this point.

GymnastyThom
Nov 26, 2005
Do you smell something? You know what that reminds me of? That smells like.. vampire shit.
Hey guys, haven't read the whole thread but I feel like OP needs to be updated to reflect that Griffin is a Forbes Media Luminary 30 under 30 ultimate hero.

http://www.forbes.com/profile/griffin-mcelroy/

Serf
May 5, 2011

Man, if you think Clint can't play regular D&D, wait until you see him trying to trigger moves in Dungeon World.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

Switching systems would be pointless because Griffin's story-focused approach is basically rolling homebrew at this point.

Yeah, this is pretty much an improv podcast with a thin veneer of D&D over it, and I am 100% fine with that. Griffin is good at making it challenging without making it boring to listen to, which adhering super strictly to the rules would absolutely do.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I'd appreciate examples of how the podcast could improve by switching systems. I don't know enough about these systems to visualize/imagine the difference.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

I'd appreciate examples of how the podcast could improve by switching systems. I don't know enough about these systems to visualize/imagine the difference.

Basically from what I played of dungeon world, instead of a d20 with a check to beat made up from stats by the dm, it's 2d6 where 10-12 means perfect success, 7-9 means success with complications, and below means failure with negative consequences, which you use to solve combat and non-combat. Obviously each class gets moves and spells to add bonuses or utility/narrative effects

ImPureAwesome fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 19, 2017

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Lately Travis has been trying to do more creative gadget/fancy maneuver non-magic tricks that his concept (in this system) isn't oriented towards doing. There's one in particular from a couple eps back where he was fighting the flying electrified dire bear. Griffin barely let it through IIRC but it seemed kind of played down.

In a system that puts gadget/skill supers like Hawkeye or Batman on par with magic/alien powered heroes I think he would facilitated towards doing fun cool stuff rather than the advantage/disadvantage of the current D&D 5e. Even later editions of Shadowrun with its "Edgelord" (i.e. luck master) builds would work better than this.

E: phone posting but I'll try to think of some more examples of systems that avoid the fighter-wizard problems we've been talking about.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 19, 2017

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

travis has been complaining for a while that his character is weak damage wise compared to the other 2, so it makes sense that he's trying to get his damage in other ways.

griffin really needs to buff railsplitter or give him a new weapon. +1 at level 12 is kinda real lovely.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Roobanguy posted:

travis has been complaining for a while that his character is weak damage wise compared to the other 2, so it makes sense that he's trying to get his damage in other ways.

griffin really needs to buff railsplitter or give him a new weapon. +1 at level 12 is kinda real lovely.

The Chance Lance was a good move in that direction. The problem is he will always be equipment-dependent. He can't just say he has a projectile weapon or a piece of gear in the same way that Justin or Clint seem to consistently get away with saying they have spells they didn't prepare beforehand.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Jesus gently caress no

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

DoctorWhat posted:

I disagree because there's a lot of systems that encourage the story-focused approach and offer mechanics and structure to btoh make that easier and let the players AND DM work together one world building/story moments which I think is something the McElroy's could do some really great stuff with.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
They obviously should be playing the Cadillacs and Dinosaurs RPG like I did when I was a wee lad.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
They should do Bubblegumshoe, the teen detective rpg system, that way every character can be an Angus.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Hand Griffin a copy of the FATAL rulebook and let the rest sort itself out

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

They should do Bubblegumshoe, the teen detective rpg system, that way every character can be an Angus.

Have each character use a different rpg system.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Make them LARP

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Finish TAZ as soon as possible, so Travis can be the new DM and Griffin finally can play as Angus all the time

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
You know what I noticed when I listened through a second time - Angus was incredibly competent in that first arc. He whips out a crossbow to shoot a hellcrab before any of the other guys can respond and then drags an unconscious full-grown man to safety! I kinda hope we'll get to see some of that again in the last arc but I suspect they might all have forgotten about it (and/or think he's a lot funnier as a little goofball).

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Angus is legitimately my favourite character. I wish he was with them all the time.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Thanks for the examples ya'll. I think I might look into dungeon world because it seems like something even my non nerd friends could handle.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

inthesto posted:

Hand Griffin a copy of the FATAL rulebook and let the rest sort itself out

there are more holes

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
TATUM!!!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
THB playing anything other than whatever the latest, most standard version of D&D is would be a complete disaster. They draw in new listeners by downplaying all of the rules of the tabletop RPG that they're playing, so adding more convoluted, because-that's-how-the-game's-played rules would be an instant turn off for anyone not familiar with table top games.

I'm not saying that a different game wouldn't be more fun, but they will never do that. It's way too hard of a sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

timp posted:

THB playing anything other than whatever the latest, most standard version of D&D is would be a complete disaster. They draw in new listeners by downplaying all of the rules of the tabletop RPG that they're playing, so adding more convoluted, because-that's-how-the-game's-played rules would be an instant turn off for anyone not familiar with table top games.

I'm not saying that a different game wouldn't be more fun, but they will never do that. It's way too hard of a sell.

That's a really backwards argument. D&D is hardly ideal for the game that they run and they make it work just fine -- swapping to an even friendlier system is not necessary, but it would hardly be a disaster either.