Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I have the new FLIRC but I've been too lazy to set it up :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
The RC1 release really hosed things up on Android TV. The app auto updates but crashes before opening, either as a fresh install or as an auto update.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

thebushcommander posted:

Anyone else notice opensubtitales requires a username/pass now and seems to be a paid service? Also where the hell are the other subtitles addons, I went into the subtitles services menu and tried to get more, but opensub.org is the only one in the list where there used to be like 40 different options.

Edit: Apparently it's not paid, just showed like that on my phone. Anyway, is there a better service than this? Generally I am just looking for subtitles for non-english portions of movies or shows, I'd rather not have subs for the entire thing

I was able to get around this by going to the plugin and reverting to the oldest version available. Was under system > addon and then rollback on my version. You might have to disable auto update to expose this.

Bumpy Johnson
Oct 9, 2012

Hed posted:

I was able to get around this by going to the plugin and reverting to the oldest version available. Was under system > addon and then rollback on my version. You might have to disable auto update to expose this.

Fantastic tip, thanks! In Kodi 16.1, rollback is available in the Update dialog subsection in add-on information.

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009
So I want to give the Kodi Krypton beta a try on my Shield since I've been having weird issues with SPMC (video files are randomly skipped when playing in succession, videos will randomly be paused, etc), so I followed the steps provided previously in this thread. It installed Krypton 17.0 RC, which I'm assuming is the latest one because it says last updated on December 30th. The only problem is that it won't mount the SMB shares where my media sits, and it keeps timing out. I have 128-bit encryption turned off and password protected sharing off as well. Turning off Windows Firewall doesn't help. I was able to get to these shares with no problem using SPMC and LibreELEC.

Any ideas?

Edit: Nevermind, I added added the SMB share by its IP address instead of name, and that seems to work. The Krypton build must have some problem with resolving the name for reason.

Belle Isle Tech fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 3, 2017

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Just installed the Krypton RC2 for windows and I gotta say I am kind of disappointed. A lot of missing links interface. For instance, you can go to file manager to add a source repo, but then under addons in system menu there is no option to install addons via zip/repo initially, instead I am shown addons I have installed, then if I hit the folder up it goes to Addons/Addon installer where I can add things as normal, but it doesn't go there at first or give the option initially, seems like they forgot something. Half the interface doesn't scroll properly it shows my movies etc on the preview pane, but doesn't allow me to scroll to different rows, instead I have to click into "movies" and pull up the list that way. Obviously there are ways around it, but I found myself switching to Confluence to get to everything more quickly for setup etc. Also the skin doesn't really seem to be made for using a mouse even though there is a touch specific version.

Aside from all of that it actually runs much worse than 16.1 does. 16.1 uses about 1.2GB ram on my PC and runs really smooth. This Krypton RC was using close to 7GB of ram and everything felt lagged behind...Which is weird because I have 32GB ram in this PC so it could use more if it wanted. Didn't really touch my processor though.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Amazon is taking preorders for the new Shield TV set top box at $200.

It finally has Amazon Prime video support, and existing Shield TV units are supposed to get a software update later this month that will include Amazon as well.

Anyone looking for an Android TV set top box for Kodi should seriously consider it as it has the highest performance out of any of them and now supports all of the major streaming services.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, with real Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, etc. support, Kodi without any side loading/hacking bullshit, 4K, HDR, and Chromecast functionality, it is the best box. And the software is frequently updated. Just too expensive for me. The gaming stuff is of no use to me.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Lowen SoDium posted:

Amazon is taking preorders for the new Shield TV set top box at $200.

It finally has Amazon Prime video support, and existing Shield TV units are supposed to get a software update later this month that will include Amazon as well.

Anyone looking for an Android TV set top box for Kodi should seriously consider it as it has the highest performance out of any of them and now supports all of the major streaming services.

I just bought one last year. I read Amazon's page but I nothing stands out as to what is different other than the slim remote is included and the game controller is s little less original XBox looking

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Bonzo posted:

I just bought one last year. I read Amazon's page but I nothing stands out as to what is different other than the slim remote is included and the game controller is s little less original XBox looking

So far, it doesn't look like there is any difference in the console's hardware.

The remote and controller are both different. The new remote only has the headphone jack if you order the Pro model. Both versions of the new remote have IR for power and volume control on your TV. The new controller is shaped different and doesn't have the unused touchpad that the previous version had.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I'm hyped if they bring the steam app to the old models, I jump between it and my steam link all the time and if I can consolidate that's just icing on the cake!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I brought this up in one of these threads somewhere, but I hope they fix it so that you can use the Chromecast functionality in the nearby-devices mode like you can on a real chromecast. I'd upgrade my Shield for that alone.

In case you don't know, nearby-devices mode makes it where you don't have to give out your wifi password to everyone who comes over and wants to cast.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
The new one lacks the SD and MicroSD slots which I found pretty handy. So yeah I'll stick with my existing one and just get one of those Spot things so I can yell "bill burr" into the Youtube app and maybe launch Kodi with my voice once in awhile.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Minty Swagger posted:

I'm hyped if they bring the steam app to the old models, I jump between it and my steam link all the time and if I can consolidate that's just icing on the cake!

They should get it. Out of curiousity, why do you do that instead of Nvidia game stream? AMD video card?

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I just never set it up, I had a steam link before I got a shield TV. Is it a superior setup vs steam link? Or are you just wondering why I own redundant hardware? ;)

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Minty Swagger posted:

I just never set it up, I had a steam link before I got a shield TV. Is it a superior setup vs steam link? Or are you just wondering why I own redundant hardware? ;)

Honestly just curious. I didn't know if you were going to say that the steam link was superior for so reason. I have only used NV game stream and moon light. I didn't know how steam link compared.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have used both and they are pretty similar. I have a Steam Link and an Shield TV and the Steam Link sits in a box somewhere because it's redundant.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Sweet, sounds like I'll be freeing up an HDMI port on my TV soon!

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Minty Swagger posted:

Are they actually bringing Steam in-home streaming to Shield TV/Android? I can't find anything else on this.

That and Amazon Prime were the only two things I wished it could also do, so if that's the case I'll be set I guess.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

The Milkman posted:

Are they actually bringing Steam in-home streaming to Shield TV/Android? I can't find anything else on this.

That and Amazon Prime were the only two things I wished it could also do, so if that's the case I'll be set I guess.

You can already do it if you have a Nvidia video card and GeForce Experience installed on your gaming PC. Launch Steam via the GameStreaming option on the ShieldTV and it will load in Big Picture mode, just like Steam's native streaming does.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I found a couple of articles that mention a new Steam app, but no real details what it is going to offer over the current game stream.

Maybe had the Steam Big Picture rendered locally on the Shield instead on streaming it from my PC? Maybe support for Steam Controller or their Xinput remapping on other controllers? Not sure...

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

stevewm posted:

You can already do it if you have a Nvidia video card and GeForce Experience installed on your gaming PC. Launch Steam via the GameStreaming option on the ShieldTV and it will load in Big Picture mode, just like Steam's native streaming does.

Yeah, I know about GameStream but I strongly prefer something vendor neutral because I'm going back to a Radeon card as soon as their next high end stuff comes out.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
I preordered the new Shield TV so I'll post a mini-review when it gets here next week. I have two of the current gen models that will go to my non-4k guest room TVs.

Amazon Prime video support alone is killer (though you don't need the new model for that apparently as long as you don't care about HDR support). A long time coming - I've had Prime on my Sony Bravia TV for a year, which also runs Android TV (and finally got updated to 6+/Marshmallow last month) and the Prime TV client works great on it, so the support has been there for some time. About time Amazon got off their horses on this matter.

I'm wondering how well it will truly support HDR video streaming at launch. Support has been spotty even for the devices that have technically supported it (HDR shows not showing up that way with Netflix, etc.). Hopefully by now a lot of the kinks have been worked out. More HDR content is slowly trickling out.

Same Tegra processor but the HDMI hardware has been updated and it's smaller...not that the current Shield TV is really that large. It's just cheaper for them to make. Includes the remote now (so nVidia can stop the bundle promos where it was effectively "free") and the remote has infrared, which is a big deal because not having it meant I rarely used it since I couldn't control anything but the Shield.

I'm going to see how far IR support extends (i.e. is it for all buttons) because it would be nice to use with Flirc for other devices, especially for rooms where I don't have a Harmony remote. Also like that it has a little coin-sized replaceable battery because keeping the old one charged was a pain.

Of all the new stuff the Smart Home capabilities have me the most interested. In addition to full Google Home support and the upcoming nVidia Spot far-field mic they are also launching a usb dongle that supports Smartthings in the next couple months. That will enable other far-field devices (Alexa, mostly) to work with it and, for example, turn everything on, launch specific apps like Netflix, and even start a show stream (Ok Google, watch Daredevil on Netflix, for example). Could be neat.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Ixian posted:

Amazon Prime video support alone is killer (though you don't need the new model for that apparently as long as you don't care about HDR support).

The first gen supports 4k and HDR out already as far as I know. Did you read something to the contrary?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
From what I can tell, the big difference in the 2nd gen is in the remote. The slim remote will have the option to be "always on" so you can use Google Assistant without having to push the search button.

EDIT: http://www.androidcentral.com/heres-whats-happening-original-nvidia-shield-android-tv

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 10, 2017

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I always wished there was a way I could set up a channel on TV to just shuffle play episodes from a few of my favorite shows. I just tried making a smart playlist but it seems to just play through them in order which is no good. Is there a way to do this?

Also, Milkman, dont go back to AMD junk

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

codo27 posted:

I always wished there was a way I could set up a channel on TV to just shuffle play episodes from a few of my favorite shows. I just tried making a smart playlist but it seems to just play through them in order which is no good. Is there a way to do this?

Also, Milkman, dont go back to AMD junk

http://www.howtogeek.com/195099/how-to-recreate-the-channel-surfing-experience-on-xbmc/

Pseudo tv does this.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

codo27 posted:

You can toggles shuffle on and off when playing a playlist. On the skin I'm using (Aeon Nox), it's "C" to pull up the playlist, "left" to go to the playlist options, then checking the "shuffle" option. It seems to remember your setting when you stop and restart the playlist from scratch.

I used to tag a few shows and shuffle/play a random assortment like that. I'd go to the tag, then hit "P" to play a playlist of all the videos with that tag, and they'd play in random order. I redid my library, so I can't confirm that it does it still in Kodi 16.1. It does work if you select a show and hit "P". If you previously selected shuffle, it will play the entire TV Show in random order.

Playing with it now, I see that Kodi remembers the shuffle option, but if I go to an episode and select "play from here", it unchecks shuffle. That's a bit annoying. You'd need to start the playlist in order and turn shuffle back on after that.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
So it is looking like that Steam app is just a shortcut to Game Stream starting Steam in Big Picture mode. So nothing really new there.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
That means it still requires an NVIDIA card? Boo, I was hoping for something more device agnostic since it was a steam app.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Horn posted:

That means it still requires an NVIDIA card? Boo, I was hoping for something more device agnostic since it was a steam app.

That is correct. There is not really a Steam app, just a Game Stream shortcut for Big Picture mode that has all the same abilities and limitations that Game Stream had before.

I bought one of the new Shield TVs last night for the living room. I already had one for the TV in the bedroom.

The new Shield TV is surprisingly small. Not much bigger than a Roku. I never used the SD card on my old unit so I don't miss that.

The new controller has a more comfortable shape, but they game it this stupid angled polygonal build that would have been more comfortable if they had just made it smooth. It doesn't ruin it, but it was a really stupid design choice because someone thought it looked cool.

The new remote no longer needs to be charged and is supposed to get 12-18 months between battery replacements. It goes to sleep when it is not in use and wakes up when you touch it. I have found that it takes it a couple of seconds to wake up, but usually it is ready by the time you are pushing buttons on it.

No headphone jack on the new remote.

The mic on the new remote sucks sucks sucks. It fucks up about half of what I say or stops listening after the first word. The mic on the controller does not have this issue.

The IR blaster on the remote is a mixed bag. I have an old Westinghouse TV in my living room. The Shield TV did not have that brand listed and said it couldn't control that brand when I searched for it. Being stubborn, I just tried every other brand until I found out that LG codes would work on my TV... mostly. Volume control works, and the remote will turn the TV off when the shield is told to sleep, but the power on IR codes do not work on my TV (and I did use my cell phone camera to make sure that it was sending to power on. The TV just doesn't respond). Hopefully anyone else who uses this feature will have a better supported TV or can just use CEC.

For whatever reason, the new Amazon app does not list it's shows and movies in search results on the main screen. To search amazon, you have to go into the app and search using an onscreen keyboard. This is a major disappointment, after having used a Roku.

Everything else is exactly the same as the previous Shield TV. It is still the best Android TV unit you can get, but it is disappointing that nearly every new feature had something wrong with it, atleast for me. All of the old stuff still works better than any other set top box.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Size comparison I posted in another thread (the bottom box is my DTV Genie, then the old Shield, then new)

I generally agree with Lowen. It's still the best streaming box though the most costly. If you can spring for it you'll get your money's worth.

I like that the new remote is battery powered and some will surely find the IR blasting to be convenient, but it still has too few buttons, a weird touch-based slider for volume, and now lacks the headphone jack which is ironic because at least in my case that was literally the only reason I would use it at all over my Harmony.

It's now a decent remote if all you have is a TV with a Shield hooked up to it. Otherwise, Harmony it is. The mic - I am not sure if the one on the remote is far-field, the one on the controller is - is indeed poo poo. Basically it's going in a drawer.

I wasn't as let down by Amazon because I've been using the Android TV version on my Sony TV for over a year and it's exactly the same. It's perfectly functional, delivers 4k with HDR for programs that support it, and overall I am glad it is finally included, but it needs work. Now that it is on a more mainstream device as opposed to being regulated to a small subset of Android TV powered Sony models hopefully Amazon will be putting more work in to search and such.

Still the best streaming box you can get for Kodi. One other thing that I was reminded of when setting up the new one - it needs calibration. You can download basic DYI calibration patterns from sites like AVSForums and put them on a USB stick for playback. Out of the box all Shields suffer a little in terms of picture quality and you need to tune your display to adjust. This really goes for any input device but the Shield in particular benefits from it.

Also, I'm currently having issues getting my FLIRC to work with it. Worked fine on the previous model, not at all on this one. I've let the FLIRC folks know.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Lowen SoDium posted:

That is correct. There is not really a Steam app, just a Game Stream shortcut for Big Picture mode that has all the same abilities and limitations that Game Stream had before.
I also thought they said there was going to be an official Steam app which was just like steam link. I have a GTX 1070 so it seems to just be GameStream right now. I tried a couple of games and it worked (waggles hand) okish. I had problems where it would somehow mess up and the window it was streaming from the computer would not be the full size of the screen so I would see some desktop, or some games would launch and the taskbar would remain visible. I also hit the home button on the shield controller by mistake (more than once) and I was able to switch back to the game but the sound was muted with no way to get it back.

Also important to note is that the Google Home always-on mic isn't implemented yet either. It is listed as "Coming Soon" on the nvidia shield webpage. SPMC works friggin perfectly though, 4K right down to SD, audio passthrough for DTS/AC3/Atmos/etc as well as stereo PCM and refresh rate switching is perfect. The Chromecast functionality works as well as my O.G. chromecast dongle and being able to use a remote for play/pause is a welcome feature I've been missing since chromecast's inception. There does not appear to be any refresh rate switching outside of SPMC, Amazon, Google Play Movies, Netflix, and HBO Now all play at whatever the UI refresh rate is (59.940). HBO Now also only has stereo audio, but that is just because that's all they have I think. Other apps have 5.1 sound.

My Harmony Hub (Smart Control) remote also works with it via bluetooth (there is no IR receiver on this new model). However there are only a few buttons defined: play pause, directions, select, back home, ff/rw, skip forward/back. It would be nice to also get the 4 game controller buttons so I could map them in SPMC. The Harmony app also works as a keyboard so you can type in SPMC.

Speaking of freeing up HDMI ports, this Shield TV replaces my
  • Beelink Mini MX - Kodi video player off my Synology NAS
  • Chromecast - used for watching youtube, comedy central, seeso, and web content with no app
  • Roku 2 XD - Netflix mostly
  • Amazon Fire TV Stick - Amazon Prime Video, HBO Now, some Netflix

The first one was my main reason for updating, the beelink worked ok but the harmony remote mappings were wonky so pressing back actually sent 2-3 back presses. Pressing pause was the same. It could do 4k but not HDR though. Chromecast with a pause button was the second biggest reason to update. Then the Google Home stuff (which isn't great that it isn't there) and Steam Link. Overall a very nice tiny little box with a premium price tag, and I look forward to the rest of the things it can do being turned on.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Does it come with the Prime app baked in? I wonder when that will get pushed out. I just checked the App Store and for system updates.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Pretty sure that it is the same situation as Netflix on the Shield - it is a system app (i.e. baked in) although the new UI allows it to reside in the "regular" menu now.

Part of the reason for that is licensing and part because it's one of the few platforms both Netflix and Amazon support 4k HDR content on. Meaning there may be some special sauce involved with the hardware thus requiring system access...I don't know.

Short answer is you need to wait for the system update to get it on older Shields. I doubt you will see it this week; new Shields grab an update out of the box and they are probably prioritizing those.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Well this is amazing. Just one thing, one of my shows isn't showing up even though its in the same folder as everything else, all separated the same way \\folder\show\season\episode.extension. Its also not under TV shows in the main Kodi menu either. Though I can browse to it and watch them all.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I don't do anything fancy with kodi on my firetv, just have it play files off my nas. But I installed that pseudo tv and that is pretty cool. Got some weird behaviour that I think just comes down to customizing it but thanks for posting about it.

also why was the firetv thread closed?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Weird problem on Android Kodi running on a Hi DPI Chromebook. When playing 720p videos, the OSD is cutoff at the letterboxing. This includes the buttons that appear when I move the mouse, subtitles, the "play next" plugin, etc. It seems any GUI element gets covered by the video itself. If I want to change the audio settings, for example, I have to stop playback, open up a 1080p video, change the settings and choose "apply to all media" then go back to the original video. Because I can't see the menu. Is there any hope of fixing this?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Weird problem on Android Kodi running on a Hi DPI Chromebook. When playing 720p videos, the OSD is cutoff at the letterboxing. This includes the buttons that appear when I move the mouse, subtitles, the "play next" plugin, etc. It seems any GUI element gets covered by the video itself. If I want to change the audio settings, for example, I have to stop playback, open up a 1080p video, change the settings and choose "apply to all media" then go back to the original video. Because I can't see the menu. Is there any hope of fixing this?

Better chance of getting it addressed if you post it along with your logs on the Kodi forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Since the FireTV thread is locked, I need to ask this here. But I was having zero issues with Kodi on my 1st Gen FireTV box last night and when I went to run it this morning it wouldn't load. Just crash back to the Amazon screen. I tried uninstalling it, installing 17, then after that didn't do it installed 16.1 again with the exact file I used before.

Any ideas on why it'd suddenly stop working and even a reinstall not work? I rebooted my FTV FWIW.

edit: Of course by posting I AM NOW A LIAR. Literally tried to launch it ONE more time after hitting post and it came up....
edit2: I'm not a liar, still quitting to desktop.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 21, 2017