Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Sentient Data posted:

Nah, the best cheevo is when the game's antagonist talks you into committing suicide in Portal 2. That and basically any of the Stanley Parable ones

My copy of Stanley Parable was sent from a friend who was raving about it, but mine bugged, the announcer was happily announcing all the things my Stanley did for about 5 minutes, I was in the office looking around and nothing would happen, nothing was usable, the announcer had no more lines, it was just me in an empty and dead office for another 20 minutes or so before I assumed that was indeed the point, it was some kind of broken meta joke.

Quitting the game I told my buddy straight up I got the joke but it wasn't really that great a game. (At the time bat rats was being gifted round the clock to people and I thought it was another of those kind of games and he was just making GBS threads me.) I could not legitimately understand why he was getting upset when I told him I did not like it because there was nothing to do.

We left it at that and I uninstalled, it took months for the game to be brought back up again and people were talking about all the zany poo poo in it and I mentioned what happened to me did it finally click that for whatever reason mine bugged out and that I had missed some content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

StandardVC10 posted:

IIRC technically all but one of Half-Life 2's achievements can be retrieved on a single playthrough, and the one that can't is within the first 5-10 minutes of the game.

(That doesn't help you if one of them glitches and won't unlock, though. :doom: )

HL2: Episode 1's "One free bullet" achievement was a lot of fun and the best way to play the game. You had to finish the game firing only a single bullet from a gun the entire time. The one bullet was to open a lock. This didn't discount physics objects or explosives though, so it encouraged you to play around with the environment and use your rocket launcher more.

Lazy 'cheevos suck but good ones either encourage you to play in ways you wouldn't think to or unlock more fun stuff or reward you, like Dead Rising and Mass Effect's, which gave ingame bonuses.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Cloks posted:

The best achievement is Little Rocket Man in Half Life 2 : Episode 2.

For those who are unaware, you have to carry a garden gnome (Gnome Chompski) through the entire game and place him in a rocket near the end.

Gnome Chompski made it into Space Station 13 as well. If You sign up as an assistant (and/or possibly role miscreant), you may randomly get an objective to ensure that he's on the escape shuttle at the end of the round.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My favorite achievement is Buffalowned. Actually all the ones in Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 2011(?) were fantastic.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

neogeo0823 posted:

Gnome Chompski made it into Space Station 13 as well. If You sign up as an assistant (and/or possibly role miscreant), you may randomly get an objective to ensure that he's on the escape shuttle at the end of the round.

Left 4 Dead 2 also had an achievement for picking up a gnome and carrying it to the safe room.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Left 4 Dead 2 also had an achievement for picking up a gnome and carrying it to the safe room.

first you gotta play the shooting range minigame in the level and get a high enough score to unlock him.

my favorite half life 2 achievement is Two Points.

it's fairly obtuse so you have to go out of your way to look for it and is entirely reliant on Havok physics so you could potentially waste so much time and break the narrative flow of the game trying to get it.

and the best part? it only adds 2 points to your Gamerscore.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I think I posted it like a year back in this thread but my favorite achievement is still "So... I'll Call You?" for accidentally having my guy piss his pants while on a date in The Sims 4.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I quite like the "Why the hell did I bring this" achievement in Consuming Shadow. You have to carry a car muffler through the final dungeon, even though it's only useful during the driving sections. Other than that, achievements can gently caress off.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
The first boss you kill in Tales of Maj'Eyal drops an item called the Rod of Recall, which can be used to teleport yourself out of a dungeon.

An interesting fact, though, is that the first boss that you are required to kill is not until about halfway through the game, a vampire mage called the Master. You don't have to fight or kill any of the bosses before this, though in normal play you want to since they give huge amounts of exp and drops. There's a bunch of different achievements for having specific bosses drop the Rod, leading up to the one for the Master, called Leave the Big Boys Alone. (It turned out to be an interesting challenge!)

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Feonir posted:

My copy of Stanley Parable was sent from a friend who was raving about it, but mine bugged, the announcer was happily announcing all the things my Stanley did for about 5 minutes, I was in the office looking around and nothing would happen, nothing was usable, the announcer had no more lines, it was just me in an empty and dead office for another 20 minutes or so before I assumed that was indeed the point, it was some kind of broken meta joke.

Quitting the game I told my buddy straight up I got the joke but it wasn't really that great a game. (At the time bat rats was being gifted round the clock to people and I thought it was another of those kind of games and he was just making GBS threads me.) I could not legitimately understand why he was getting upset when I told him I did not like it because there was nothing to do.

We left it at that and I uninstalled, it took months for the game to be brought back up again and people were talking about all the zany poo poo in it and I mentioned what happened to me did it finally click that for whatever reason mine bugged out and that I had missed some content.

Man this is like somebody playing Frog Fractions and having it bug out and not letting them go down after they get the dragon

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I always thought a game should have an achievement for going through the entire game without getting any achievements.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
How many games is that even possible in? Every one I can think of pops an unavoidable achievement every time you beat a chapter/boss.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Feonir posted:

A friend went through the Stanley Parable after I raved about it, but they just did exactly what the narrator guided them to do the whole way through the "main" path, got to the end and didn't try it again because they'd completed it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

haveblue posted:

How many games is that even possible in? Every one I can think of pops an unavoidable achievement every time you beat a chapter/boss.

This drives me nuts because it's obvious why it happens but is so boring to actually do. Nobody finishes games anymore so end of chapter achievements are a really easy way for studios to see what percentage of players drop off at what point in the story. I don't give a poo poo about achievements at all other than occasionally smiling when a clever one pops after something unexpected, but "congratulations, you finished the prologue" isn't an achievement so much as a check that the disk works.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Shadow Complex has one of my favorite achievements. The game starts off with your girlfriend being captured by the bad guys but instead of moving forward you can hop in your car and drive off. This ends the game and gives you the "Status Update: Single " achievement.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I think that's a side effect of achievements being mandatory inclusions on consoles and less an effect themselves -- for example, The Witness has exactly two achievements on Steam (one for seeing the first ending which requires about 1/2 to 2/3 completion depending and another for unlocking and triumphing through the secret challenge, which requires about 4/5 completion and a bunch of skill), but on consoles it has those plus filler ones for every area of the game because it's mandated to have at least a certain number of achievements/trophies

Ideally you'd only be awarded achievements for doing actually notable things like beating content with an imposed limit of some sort, finishing the game at a high difficulty, finding an easter egg or a hidden part of the game, or even your standard notable things like completing it at 100%. Instead, the mandate leads to uncreative things like marking progress through the game or grinding out enemies to an arbitrary limit more often than not and it leads to the perception that the only reason to hunt for achievements is to boost your gamerscore or whatever. It's a bummer.

One of the things I really like is when achievements unlock actual in-game benefits, which I can only think of happening twice: Dead Rising had some clever and some rough achievements but they'd unlock permanent bonuses sometimes, one of them giving you the buster from Megaman which is ridiculously powerful and easily worth the time spent grinding it out. Mass Effect (or at least the first one, I still need to get onto the rest of the series) had a bunch of achievements that you'd get through gameplay that were fairly standard, but would unlock stuff for any future playthroughs, including an exclusive set of equipment and being able to put fun skills from other classes on your character at creation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

This drives me nuts because it's obvious why it happens but is so boring to actually do. Nobody finishes games anymore so end of chapter achievements are a really easy way for studios to see what percentage of players drop off at what point in the story. I don't give a poo poo about achievements at all other than occasionally smiling when a clever one pops after something unexpected, but "congratulations, you finished the prologue" isn't an achievement so much as a check that the disk works.

Those achievements are mostly for data mining purposes so they can get a rough idea of how far people get in the game or what things they focus on.

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.
Mass Effect 2 and 3's achievements sadly do nothing.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Danger - Octopus! posted:

A friend went through the Stanley Parable after I raved about it, but they just did exactly what the narrator guided them to do the whole way through the "main" path, got to the end and didn't try it again because they'd completed it.

And here we have unambiguous proof that p-zombies exist and walk among us.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

ImpAtom posted:

Those achievements are mostly for data mining purposes so they can get a rough idea of how far people get in the game or what things they focus on.

Yes, that is exactly what I said in my post, that you quoted.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

Yes, that is exactly what I said in my post, that you quoted.

Then I misunderstood what you said, sorry!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Danger - Octopus! posted:

they completed the game. Not everyone replays stuff, you know.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

No you see you were supposed to replay it and do the opposite of everything you were told because that's where the real game was at :smug:

IMO Stanley Parable wasn't very good and was yet another time I got burned taking goon praise as a good thing. I'm glad I don't do that anymore.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
FF15: I'm at chapter 13 now - the infamous chapter. I don't mind the gimmick so far, the new tools are interesting enough, and it's much less of a pain than I thought it would be. Although Venice's ending was awesome. The fight with The Hydrean was amazingly fun even if I had no idea what the gently caress was going on, I just loved fighting with all thirteen weapons, flying around Leviathan ripping her to pieces. So fun :allears:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Len posted:

No you see you were supposed to replay it and do the opposite of everything you were told because that's where the real game was at :smug:

IMO Stanley Parable wasn't very good and was yet another time I got burned taking goon praise as a good thing. I'm glad I don't do that anymore.

I'm hoping I'm being trolled but Stanley Parable is actually inherently built around exploring your options and seeing all the different endings + if you play the game exactly once and never again it'd have taken you about 5 minutes and (if you followed exactly what the announcer tells you to do) would be really boring.

It was my GOTY that year and I still think it's one of the funniest games I've ever played.

One of my favorite little things about the game is that there's actually a demo for it that has none of the content in the actual game -- it's a free, standalone, short illustration of the humor and tone you'd find in the actual game. You can download it on the sidebar here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/221910/

I think my favorite gag in the demo is when you first get control of your character and move the mouse.

flatluigi has a new favorite as of 23:46 on Jan 19, 2017

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Len posted:

Well, yeah. Pretty much.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Well, yeah. Pretty much.

It reminds me of The Path (a pretentious Red Riding Hood based game all about virginity, menstruation, rape and other artsy things) that starts with direct instructions to stay on the path. First thing I did was turn 90 degrees and run into the woods.

Who the hell follows instructions when a game gives you the choice not to? That's where all the good loot is!

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

flatluigi posted:

I'm hoping I'm being trolled but Stanley Parable is actually inherently built around exploring your options and seeing all the different endings + if you play the game exactly once and never again it'd have taken you about 5 minutes and (if you followed exactly what the announcer tells you to do) would be really boring.

It was my GOTY that year and I still think it's one of the funniest games I've ever played.

One of my favorite little things about the game is that there's actually a demo for it that has none of the content in the actual game -- it's a free, standalone, short illustration of the humor and tone you'd find in the actual game. You can download it on the sidebar here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/221910/

I think my favorite gag in the demo is when you first get control of your character and move the mouse.

i played it back when it was a sourcemod. it was impressive how much could be done with a handful of generic source assets and it was pretty obvious that the game expected you to replay it and try every sort of combination possible.

there was another sourcemod i played at the time and i think it was going for the same thing but was much more obtuse about the limits of your agency as a player.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Action Tortoise posted:

i played it back when it was a sourcemod. it was impressive how much could be done with a handful of generic source assets and it was pretty obvious that the game expected you to replay it and try every sort of combination possible.

there was another sourcemod i played at the time and i think it was going for the same thing but was much more obtuse about the limits of your agency as a player.

If you haven't played the full release definitely pick it up when you can; I had a lot of worries going into it as a fan of the free mod that it'd basically be the same thing in HD, but the changes and additions add up to a lot and I definitely don't regret spending the money.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Which Half Life (or was it even Half Life?) that had you walking through an area early in the game and a guard tells you to pick up a can and put it in the trash. You get an achievement for chucking it at his face.

Recently started replaying Far Cry 4. There's a lot of things that could be said about this game but I love that after the intro to the game, the bad guy tells you to wait in his dining area so he can go torture some guy. If you wait 15 minutes or so a cut scene happens and the game ends.

Not like he kills you. He just lets you do the thing you came to do and then is pretty much like "ok nice meeting you see ya!"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It reminds me of The Path (a pretentious Red Riding Hood based game all about virginity, menstruation, rape and other artsy things) that starts with direct instructions to stay on the path. First thing I did was turn 90 degrees and run into the woods.

Who the hell follows instructions when a game gives you the choice not to? That's where all the good loot is!

Most games actively punish you for not staying on the path, though. Whether it's with instant death screens, or with long empty corridors that end in dead ends or locked doors because you can't go here yet.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Not really? Ton of games have extra loot and poo poo like that tucked away in corners and side paths.

They don't get you raped like in The Path, at least.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

I like them because when I pop on Steam and see my friend activity it's cool to be able to see where people I know are in their games instantaneously and effortlessly based on their achievements. That way if I want to chat with them about the game I don't need to worry about what I can spoil or when to gush about a particularly cool part.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Joey Freshwater posted:

Which Half Life (or was it even Half Life?) that had you walking through an area early in the game and a guard tells you to pick up a can and put it in the trash. You get an achievement for chucking it at his face.

HL2

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

flatluigi posted:

One of the things I really like is when achievements unlock actual in-game benefits, which I can only think of happening twice: Dead Rising had some clever and some rough achievements but they'd unlock permanent bonuses sometimes, one of them giving you the buster from Megaman which is ridiculously powerful and easily worth the time spent grinding it out. Mass Effect (or at least the first one, I still need to get onto the rest of the series) had a bunch of achievements that you'd get through gameplay that were fairly standard, but would unlock stuff for any future playthroughs, including an exclusive set of equipment and being able to put fun skills from other classes on your character at creation.

TF2 also does this when you're new and don't want to spend any money. Doing some specific stuff will unlock different weapons and stuff to wear.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Who doesn't check out the weird alternate path before taking the direction they obviously want you to go?!

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Gizmo Chicken posted:

Mass Effect 2 and 3's achievements sadly do nothing.

I wanna say I saw a post somewhere from a Bioware guy explaining why they dropped tying bonuses to achievements, and apparently Microsoft was very against having achievements tied to unlocks and the like at that time. This was fairly early in the 360's cycle, back before anybody even had achievement systems.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Internet Wizard posted:

I wanna say I saw a post somewhere from a Bioware guy explaining why they dropped tying bonuses to achievements, and apparently Microsoft was very against having achievements tied to unlocks and the like at that time. This was fairly early in the 360's cycle, back before anybody even had achievement systems.

Oh man, that's really lame. I really liked when Dead Rising did it. Granted, I don't think it matters much these days, because everybody just makes what used to be unlockable items into DLC these days.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

RareAcumen posted:

TF2 also does this when you're new and don't want to spend any money. Doing some specific stuff will unlock different weapons and stuff to wear.

it was more 'get this many achievements for this specific class and you can unlock this item.' it's good so that if you're just not getting any drops you're guaranteed to get a class item if you play the game long enough, and the items themselves could be random drops anyways. holiday themed maps have achievements now that let you unlock certain vanity items as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

I've always been partial to the 'completed the game' achievement from Double Dragon Neon. Specifically, when it pops: https://youtu.be/ZJNDP_HTFp4

Unrelated to cheevo chat, I got Darkest Dungeon during the holiday sale and played it for the first time tonight. My Vestal (healing nun) started with a quirk that only allowed her to heal her stress via flagellation at the local church. After a relaxing vacation with the cat o' nine tails, her quirk morphed into a new one: Nymphomania, only healing stress via the brothel.