Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

mysterious frankie posted:

Is Revelations worth playing on the 3DS\at all?

I enjoyed it, didn't it get a PC release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

s.i.r.e. posted:

I enjoyed it, didn't it get a PC release?

I think so, but I'd prefer to play it on 3DS.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Bogart posted:

bonsai tree instead of head

Designed by someone who thought the scary thing about pyramid head was his head

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Bogart posted:

bonsai tree instead of head
stop man i'm gonna have some for real nightmares here

But for real I had no idea it was supposed to be made into something real, since it never seemed like that at any point. Just crazy idea guy nonsense

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Night10194 posted:

Outbreak was a really cool idea that would've been great if it had come out later, when multiplayer gaming was easier.

The cool thing is there's a group who've put together a fanserver deal to play the Outbreak games with people over emulator now. Me and a buddy have hopped on there a few times and they're still fun stuff.

It might be kind of :filez: so I won't drop anything straight to it I guess, but the whole thing's real easy to find and figure out just googling "Resident Evil Outbreak Online", there's even a step by step 'for dummies' level guide.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 18, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

mysterious frankie posted:

Is Revelations worth playing on the 3DS\at all?

I beat it on 3DS and it's quite good. Surprisingly robust main game that switches between perspectives and provides a good balance between creepy old school RE and modern RE action. It has a Nemesis-esque villain that's fun to encounter and the most laughable haircuts in the series.

There's a Raid mode that I like over the traditional Mercenaries mode. It's basically a time rush with RE5 style weapon upgrades so if you need your RPG numbers fix it has it too. Really underrated entry in the series.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
"Horror comes in all kinds of forms yet we rely so heavily on darkness and gore. We would like to upset the balance a little bit by making a lovely uninspired Silent Hill-ripoff that relies on darkness and gore"

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I liked the ladybug artwork, it's just ideas guy nonsense like someone said

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

unpacked robinhood posted:

I liked the ladybug artwork, it's just ideas guy nonsense like someone said

Did he even contract with a studio to make a game? I think he just produced a ton of concept art and a pitch and everyone lost their minds over nothing actually being in development. He's not "cancelling" as much as he is admitting that he can't start in the first place.

He might be better off trying to make a side-scroller instead of hoping he can get a full AAA game off nothing but a pitch.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Yardbomb posted:

The cool thing is there's a group who've put together a fanserver deal to play the Outbreak games with people over emulator now. Me and a buddy have hopped on there a few times and they're still fun stuff.

It might be kind of :filez: so I won't drop anything straight to it I guess, but the whole thing's real easy to find and figure out just googling "Resident Evil Outbreak Online", there's even a step by step 'for dummies' level guide.

Neat. I know what I'm going to try and talk people into trying sometime

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8ERaueJt5s

on one hand, i really, really love dark corners, and this...feels? like it will be similar in scope to it

but on the other hand, cyanide games, purveyors of quality such as blood bowl, styx, and le tour de france

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

boy are my arms tired posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8ERaueJt5s

on one hand, i really, really love dark corners, and this...feels? like it will be similar in scope to it

but on the other hand, cyanide games, purveyors of quality such as blood bowl, styx, and le tour de france

Blood Bowl was fun and good though?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Len posted:

Blood Bowl was fun and good though?

i didn't like it personally, didn't realize it was well received

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

boy are my arms tired posted:

i didn't like it personally, didn't realize it was well received

When it first came out it was so bad that GW forced them to remake it. Now it's pretty great.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Styx is good too if you don't mind forced stealth.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Improbable Lobster posted:

When it first came out it was so bad that GW forced them to remake it. Now it's pretty great.

i must have played the first version then, i guess ill give the newest version a shot

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Improbable Lobster posted:

I thought that was their not-Blood Bowl that was poo poo and then GW went "hey no this is way too close to BB why don't you make that" and then they made Blood Bowl

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Yup

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Dark Corners had entirely too much great atmosphere to have it shoved on lame FPS gameplay. I wish the entire game wound up being like the opening, just creeping around Innsmouth being freaked out by the fishy people

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That freaking on rails bit on the back of the truck still gives me PTSD. I don't think I ever finished the game because I could never beat the enemy gauntlet in the last room, something like that anyway, it's been a while.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I probably died 50 times in the hotel chase sequence as you have to delay your attackers with random objects that are never highlighted. And yet I wasn't disappointed because the chase was perfectly executed.

Can't say the same about the truck bit, no sir.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
If it's the game I'm thinking of, I got as far as the ship and a bug prevented me from getting on board so I Youtubed the rest of the game. I'm glad I did as stuff around there looked really annoying.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

al-azad posted:

I probably died 50 times in the hotel chase sequence as you have to delay your attackers with random objects that are never highlighted. And yet I wasn't disappointed because the chase was perfectly executed.

Can't say the same about the truck bit, no sir.

That chase scene would have been a lot more fun if the controls were a bit tighter. It ended up being maddeningly hard not because I couldn't figure out what to do, but because I moved like a slug and had trouble making the jumps and climbs necessary.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I remember doing a thing in a plant and it was a complete slog, otherwise great atmosphere.
Gave up at the part where you're underwater I think ?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I remember doing a thing in a plant and it was a complete slog, otherwise great atmosphere.

Dark Corners of the Earth is a good way to remind yourself that J. Edgar Hoover was a massive dick.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

That chase scene would have been a lot more fun if the controls were a bit tighter. It ended up being maddeningly hard not because I couldn't figure out what to do, but because I moved like a slug and had trouble making the jumps and climbs necessary.

It slows you down when you get shot but you need full speed to make any of the jumps in that section so it's really a die roll whether or not you'll pass in a single run.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I didn't like that you couldn't look at scary things because it drained your sanity meter and then you would die. I like to be able to look at things.
At least when Frictional games did the same thing they made it so it didn't kill you, just caused some funky effects, which is tolerable.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Yeah, I think near the end of the factory raid you have to escape the terror in the basement (which was a tedious puzzle boss fight leading into an elevator...or something, it's been a while since I played it).

And yeah, if it's the actual underwater part then that was the final area of the game which was a tremendous pain. Especially if you made the mistake of playing it on PC cause the final escape was a timed affair but they had to lower the player's movement speed to account for some crash that would occur if you went too fast; so the only way to finish that part was to bunny hop like crazy to get the speed necessary or change the game's config file to increase movement speed. And amazingly that wasn't even the worse bug on PC; the worst one I remember was a turret section where you had to shoot lights on a distant shore, except they wouldn't show up if you were playing with an NVIDIA video card. I ended up having to find a hack that just force won that section of the game.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
The fan patch pretty much fixes all issues I've had on PC, and I've played through it multiple times with amd and Nvidia (and Intel I guess). Thank goodness for that

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RE7 reviews coming in and they're overwhelmingly positive.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What was the one boss towards the end of dark corners, the weird flying creatures? The flying _____s? Pulps?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

al-azad posted:

RE7 reviews coming in and they're overwhelmingly positive.

I'm watching this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PscFx-u9Rac

right now, and it looks like the main antagonists are like if you turned the family from Texas Chainsaw Massacre into Albert Wesker supermutants who are nigh indestructible. I'll definitely pick this up, I liked what little I played of the demo and the demo ran fine on my mid-low range computer.

e: I also love that we're now in an era where those pre-rendered backgrounds from REmake are just standard in-engine environments now.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 23, 2017

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

FirstAidKite posted:

What was the one boss towards the end of dark corners, the weird flying creatures? The flying _____s? Pulps?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_polyp

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

FirstAidKite posted:

Polyps

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

King Vidiot posted:

I'm watching this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PscFx-u9Rac

right now, and it looks like the main antagonists are like if you turned the family from Texas Chainsaw Massacre into Albert Wesker supermutants who are nigh indestructible. I'll definitely pick this up, I liked what little I played of the demo and the demo ran fine on my mid-low range computer.

e: I also love that we're now in an era where those pre-rendered backgrounds from REmake are just standard in-engine environments now.

I read the comments
Why did I read the comments :gonk:

It looks cool!
Loving the more personal environment and pacing but definitely not loving "yeah I can survive five body shots with an axe, no problem"

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Poulpe posted:

I read the comments
Why did I read the comments :gonk:

It looks cool!
Loving the more personal environment and pacing but definitely not loving "yeah I can survive five body shots with an axe, no problem"

Remember when Resident Evil 4 came out and people were complaining that there was no horror and it was nothing like the older games? Now you've got people who grew up with Resident Evil 4, 5 and 6 who are now complaining Resident Evil 7 isn't an action game. It really has come full circle.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
I skimmed the Time review since it was the lowest score and it sounds like damage scales to how badly you're doing maybe?

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Relin posted:

I skimmed the Time review since it was the lowest score and it sounds like damage scales to how badly you're doing maybe?

That's pretty cool if that's true. RE4 did the same thing, the more you die the easier it gets and vice versa.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Makes sense. All of the horror gets sucked out of even the most intense game if you have to do the same bit over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tribladeofchaos posted:

That's pretty cool if that's true. RE4 did the same thing, the more you die the easier it gets and vice versa.

RE4 was basically a series of triumphs of incredibly good design.

And then a Spanish midget sasses you.