Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

sirbeefalot posted:

At this point I think I just want proprietary plugs back instead. :lol:

Qualcomm at least is saying QC4.0 will be compliant. We'll see if that's really the case though.

There are really a ton of issues at play.

1) Incompatibilities between proprietary charging mechanisms and USB spec.

2) ODMs getting away with low quality poo poo for too long

3) OEMs not holding their ODMs to the fire and doing independent validation

4) Ineffective certification process that invites gaming the system

1 is a tough one. Standards should be standards, but the fact of the matter remains that Quick Charging and Adaptive Charging sprung up out of a need for faster charging because the spec wasn't delivering fast enough. I don't know if enough effort went into graceful failure mode design for things like emarkers to ensure that the cable couldn't be damaged when used with the two defacto fast charging standards already on the market.

2 is on us for insisting that accessories for our $700 pocket computers cost under $5. There's nothing terribly hard about the electrical spec, but the sheer permutations of devices and chargers means quality needs to be very high to avoid the edge cases.

3 is similar to 2. We kind of put the OEMs in this situation. They raise prices to cover things like independent third party testing or failing whole batches for a slight violation of spec, we'll just buy those rejected cables on eBay from the ODM at 1/4th the price.

4 is all on the standards group. Testing should be done with retail samples bought through normal channels and they should establish procedures with large retail channels to pull equipment that had USB-IF certification and later fails it on a follow up test (oh yes, and do follow up tests.) Also create a higher tier of badging for manufacturers that regularly send out samples for independent testing to ensure quality remains constant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Okay, the 3t and Android wear do not play well together AT ALL.

The 3t has a 3-way physical notification switch. "silent" "do not disturb" and "ring"
BOTH "silent" and "do not disturb" mode enforces DND

The ONLY way to silence notification sounds is by setting the switch to "silent" or "do not disturb" You cannot reduce the notification volume to 0 while on "ring"

Thus, you can't have your phone silent AND have your watch buzz to notify you.

Trying to disable DND mode on the watch immediately forces it back on, because the phone is constantly requesting it.

I'm about to return this piece of poo poo.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

OnePlus is poo poo everyone said so you should have listened

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

The 3t has a 3-way physical notification switch. "silent" "do not disturb" and "ring"

The ONLY way to silence notification sounds is by setting the switch to "silent" or "do not disturb" You cannot reduce the notification volume to 0 while on "ring"

Trying to disable DND mode on the watch immediately forces it back on, because the phone is constantly requesting it.

You were tempted by the 6G of Ram and got burned. Now return it and get a Pixel.

Or at least a Axon 7 or something that's known good in here if you need to stay around $400

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Gonna say pixel, Moto g4 variant, or nothing. nothing else justifies the price

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Apparently the most recent nouget beta build changes this behavior?

https://www.reddit.com/r/oneplus/comments/5le0kj/psa_3t_android_wear_finally_working_properly/

I might try this, assuming it doesn't gently caress up my ability to return the phone.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Apparently the most recent nouget beta build changes this behavior?

https://www.reddit.com/r/oneplus/comments/5le0kj/psa_3t_android_wear_finally_working_properly/

I might try this, assuming it doesn't gently caress up my ability to return the phone.

Yes, surely there won't be new hosed up things in the new OnePlus software. I'm sure Nougat will make everything work perfectly.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

"this lovely phone that everyone said was lovely turned out to be lovely. I know, I'll see if beta software makes it better!"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nitrousoxide posted:

Ayyyyyy lmao how many times did you burn the gently caress out of your hand on hot stoves as a child

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I'm still using MM on Oneplus 3 because of the volume slider fuckery.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

I'm still using MM on Oneplus 3 because of the volume slider fuckery.
I don't know what that is but it sounds like a bad solution to buying a bad phone!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
If you've actually been paying attention to the last couple years and still buy a Oneplus phone, you're getting exactly what you deserve.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

To be fair, the phone seems to otherwise be fine.

It's just that one thing that utterly demolishes my usecase for it.

I think someone with no android wear devices would have have a great time with the phone, although the speaker is a downgrade from my Nexus 6's dual stereo ones, it seems comparable to most other phones on the market in that respect.

In every other respect the phone is a straight upgrade for me.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Isn't the hardware pretty good now, just the Software is a clusterfuk since they burned the CM bridge and continue to make bad OEM software choices?

I know XDA is a taboo word here, but there are roms for the thing that are made buy guys who have been cooking roms longer than OnePlus has been around as a company. If you end up stuck with the device, wouldn't hurt to give one of the lesser crazy ones a shot.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Still no 7.0/7.1 for my Axon 7, but I'm genuinely still loving the phone. Normally I get some kind of buyers remorse with anything this "expensive" and disposable, but not here.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

A number of people I know have a Oneplus phone because it's cheap. That's the only reason. They think it's a good phone because of the specs. They don't listen to me :negative:

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Unlocked Moto Z is getting 7.0 in February and US Moto Z Play variants in March. Other countries may get it sooner. Unsurprising but still rather lovely.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Updating to the beta (http://downloads.oneplus.net/oneplus-3t/oneplus_3t_oxygenos_openbeta_2/) seems to have fixed it.

Now to see if I get some horrible other bug, or the infamous wifi bug people have been talking about.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Captain Yossarian posted:

Still no 7.0/7.1 for my Axon 7, but I'm genuinely still loving the phone. Normally I get some kind of buyers remorse with anything this "expensive" and disposable, but not here.

Bought one for my wife after several good recommendations here and it really is a very nice phone for the money. Comes with a TPU case, screen protector (plastic, but eh), micro USB to USB-C adapter along with the QC3 charger+cable, and it feels super snappy. She even says Snapchat is decent to use on it, which was an absolute dog on the 5X it replaced.

Oh, and a 2 year warranty. That was a surprise.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I'm very excited for the Android one to America rumors. It'd be real nice to recommend a cheap phone with no hesitation.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Grumpwagon posted:

I'm very excited for the Android one to America rumors. It'd be real nice to recommend a cheap phone with no hesitation.

LG's making it

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Literal Garbage

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Who would be the Goon Approved OEM?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, LG is the first anyways. The there should be multiple on board eventually.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

The Merkinman posted:

Moto (Lenovo), LG, HTC, Huawei, Doogee

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Merkinman posted:

Huawei seems to be the best of the cheap right now. LG is cranking out such poo poo and completely failed to give me a reasonable replacement or refund for my 5x that died within 1 year.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

so I was gonna buy a couple of those cables and

US Amazon doesn't ship this product to Canada. gently caress my entire life.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Take a look at iOrange. I have had good luck with all the cables I have from them so far.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

Take a look at iOrange. I have had good luck with all the cables I have from them so far.

I can't find those on the approved USB-C cable listings, and the C to C is twice the cost of the Anker one (at the non-insane apparently super canadian price) :(

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

The IOGear or Belkin cables appear to be your next best bets. Price ranges from USD14-16, but at least they're Benson/Nathan-approved, available where you live and are not hilarious price gouges.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

anakha posted:

The IOGear or Belkin cables appear to be your next best bets. Price ranges from USD14-16, but at least they're Benson/Nathan-approved, available where you live and are not hilarious price gouges.

Thanks. Honestly, it might almost be worth it to ship these cables to one of the US parcel services across the border and just drive down to pick them up. Amazon.ca has gotten a lot better over the years but this is an example of what we used to have to deal with all the time :(

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

To be fair, the phone seems to otherwise be fine.

This is the same phone that was referred to in that article about terrible touch latency that I linked to earlier, isn't it? Lag like this wouldn't be acceptable on a Gingerbread-era budget phone, but in a world where the Pixel gives iPhone-like perfect touch response, this is absolute dogshit garbage:

https://twitter.com/hallstephenj/status/821777169076654080?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

If this is "fine" I'd sure hate to see what you think is "bad" because that is objectively terrible.

Blistering Sunburn
Aug 2, 2005
Axon 7 vs Nexus 6P? My old Moto X has been a great phone but the frame/case is literally breaking off piece by piece so it's time for an upgrade. Was thinking 6P but very concerned with these reports of phones not working randomly since Nougat.

My priorities are battery life, as little non-Android crap as possible, build quality, smaller size if possible though everything is giant compared to my current phone. I don't do any gaming or serious photography but frequently work long hours so a full day of use is ideal.

Kind of leaning Axon but seems like the support may be better with Nexus 6P?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

G4 play is smallish and should be good enough if you don't play games. Camera samples here http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/moto-g4-play-1328624/review/4

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The Z Play has pretty awesome battery life from what I've read. Runs basically stock Android, has the sweet Moto Display/IR sensors, AMOLED screen, good camera in daytime lighting conditions (it's the same as the G4+), and feels pretty good in hand. You could add the battery mod and it would probably last you two days at work.

The Snapdragon 625 should be more than enough for any task. I think it's getting Nougat next month, but you never know with Motorola.

Melraidin
Oct 11, 2005

CFox posted:

We use the fire tablet for kids. I don't know if it's the best option anymore but it comes with a longer warranty, a foam cover, and is really cheap. The way it works is that there's an adult profile and a kids profile and if you're on the kids side you need a pin/password to leave it. Only the adult profile can download/install apps and it can set which apps can appear on the kids side or not. My only issue with is it ours is slow but it's a few years old now and there may have been an updated version since then.

I'm glad that they have the parent profile but what I was meaning was a way to lock it into a single application. It's not that I don't want the kids using other applications, just they're young enough and not coordinated enough to avoid hitting buttons. They'll accidentally go to the home screen or something and can't yet sort out how to get back. It's getting better but would be nice to be able to lock it to just one application unless some magic key press is made.

Uthor posted:

I'd say the same thing. They even make a "kids" version, which is the regular tablet in a bumper, but with a good protection plan thrown in (though they are cheap enough to be disposable, so...).

I've kept telling my sister to buy them instead of whatever fragile or crappy tablet her kids are currently breaking, but you can't install the YouTube Kids app on them and that's apparently a must for her.

Man, if only they sold them in Canada. Checking them out on Ebay but what a pain. Are they sold in any retail locations? Could just cross the border to buy one.

I notice Best Buy appears to have them:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...s=960&keys=keys

But the kids version is 30 $ more than the non-kids 16 GB version. Any reason for this, aside from a case? Is the case that magical?

ETA: Welp, answered my own question: it's a no questions asked warranty. In theory. I'm guessing this is unlikely to work for me in Canada, even if I try to use a US postal pickup address for the warranty?

Nitrousoxide posted:

How they've implemented the slider drives me insane. No idea why we can't customize volume and vibration for each slider position. Try one of these applications to make it not dumb:
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=oneplus%20slider&c=apps

Melraidin fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 20, 2017

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://twitter.com/DonWOWT/status/822285388144328705

Not that it's happening all over due to a design flaw but lol at maybe this being the new EOL status for Samsung phones.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Whenever I hear 'ac adapter'/'phone' ~exploded on a bed~ I can't help but think someone was stupid enough to lay on it or otherwise deny it room to radiate heat, and it's their own damned fault.

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010

Melraidin posted:

I'm glad that they have the parent profile but what I was meaning was a way to lock it into a single application. It's not that I don't want the kids using other applications, just they're young enough and not coordinated enough to avoid hitting buttons. They'll accidentally go to the home screen or something and can't yet sort out how to get back. It's getting better but would be nice to be able to lock it to just one application unless some magic key press is made.

Look up screen pinning. Think its only available on lollipop and above though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Whenever I hear 'ac adapter'/'phone' ~exploded on a bed~ I can't help but think someone was stupid enough to lay on it or otherwise deny it room to radiate heat, and it's their own damned fault.

Yeah and while the Note 7 incident makes this hilarious and all, most of the time when this poo poo happens the idiot was using a 3rd party chinese knockoff charger that pumped 30A instead of 3 into the phone