Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

fishing with the fam posted:

Is there a reason we don't see Toronto bandied about more often? That's quite a large market, and seems like a more natural fit than an expansion to London.

The canadians already have their own version of football. Toronto already has a professional football team: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Argonauts

So, cracking open a new market in London, after prepping the way for many years with exhibition games, is a different prospect from trying to get Canadians to (presumably) pay for a stadium for a home team for a foreign league with foreign rules of a game they already have and play.

e. Also reading the above article, attendance of CFL games has been in decline for decades. That is not promising precedent for an NFL investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

fishing with the fam posted:

Is there a reason we don't see Toronto bandied about more often? That's quite a large market, and seems like a more natural fit than an expansion to London.

The last time an attempt was made you guys dissed it because it was Bon Jovi :smith:

I'm glad the Bills stayed to become more miserable

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Mexico City would be lit.

I was impressed with the crowd at this years game there.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I just realized the relocation announcement was made today

the anniversary of the Tuck Rule game

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

i also remember when trump tried to buy the bills

that doesn't seem so bad now

Not That Into You
Oct 29, 2007

Phil Mickelson, real man of the people:

https://twitter.com/sdutSanders/status/822214253012619269
https://twitter.com/sdutSanders/status/822214396277493762
https://twitter.com/sdutSanders/status/822214529253679104
https://twitter.com/sdutSanders/status/822214745964953600
https://twitter.com/sdutSanders/status/822214992157999104

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Maybe because I'm still bitter about people using the "fans didn't try hard enough" excuse for the Sonics, but I hate it so much. It's just another form of blaming the victim.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

I don't blame the people of San Diego, but it's totally their fault.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

tk posted:

I don't blame the people of San Diego, but it's totally their fault.

"I mean, personally, I would have gladly given a billionaire millions in completely undeserved money, but, hey, I get it, some people don't want to do that. So uh....*sniffs own fart*...yeah"

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Chinatown posted:

"I mean, personally, I would have gladly given a billionaire millions in completely undeserved money, but, hey, I get it, some people don't want to do that. So uh....*sniffs own fart*...yeah"

But Raiders to Vegas with public money is rad cuz Mark Davis is goony

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Vertical Lime posted:

i also remember when trump tried to buy the bills

that doesn't seem so bad now

My monkey paw to end all monkey paws.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
It's a horseshit argument to blame the citizens for the Chargers leaving, because Dean basically never negotiated with the city in good faith. He always had one foot out the door, essentially; notice how's everywhere in LA, while he hid like the cowardly putz he really is while still "negotiating" in SD?

gently caress him.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
It's very sad that our perpetually underperforming sports franchise that's owned by a terrible person is paying the city to leave a dilapidated stadium and well over a hundred acres of prime real estate because the citizens refused to give him hundreds of millions of dollars.

How will I deal with not being bitterly disappointed for four months of the year?

Edit: also, Phil Mickelson has a net worth of about $375 million, so he could have probably bridged the financial gap himself because he loves the Chargers so much.

Glass of Milk fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 20, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Oh no the suites arent fancy enough! Maybe phil shouldve gotten a regular seat then.
Douche

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Glass of Milk posted:

Edit: also, Phil Mickelson has a net worth of about $375 million, so he could have probably bridged the financial gap himself because he loves the Chargers so much.

I really wish Jeff Sanders had said that to him.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Glass of Milk posted:

I was going to say the same thing. Phil is a selfish idiot-dick.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Raiders to Vegas can be rad and simultaneously bad for different reasons.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Raiders should have relocated to LA where they're still beloved. Vegas loves nothing, it is incapable

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Ammanas posted:

Vegas loves nothing, it is incapable

thats why it owns

nihilism owns

raiders are the perfect team therefore

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Ammanas posted:

Raiders should have relocated to LA where they're still beloved. Vegas loves nothing, it is incapable

They wanted LA.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

seiferguy posted:

Also, the Cubs asked Chicago for money to fund renovations to Wrigley, and Chicago kindly told them to pound sand, and the Ricketts' family ended up paying out of pocket.

Las Vegas Cubs.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
New Raiders logo-

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Vertical Lime posted:

what happens to oakland's pride if the a's find a way to move to san jose or anywhere that's not oakland

bawfuls posted:

With the Raiders gone, the A's will have a relatively easy time of getting a new stadium built at the existing O.co. site with private funds.

A's will not be building on the same site. Sounds like they're moving down town.

Ammanas posted:

But Raiders to Vegas with public money is rad cuz Mark Davis is goony

More specifically, this is rich tourist's money.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

warcrimes posted:

A's will not be building on the same site. Sounds like they're moving down town.

More specifically, this is rich tourist's money.

That the source of Vegas' tax money is rich tourists doesn't change the fact that it could be better spent on things which will actually benefit the residents.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

The canadians already have their own version of football. Toronto already has a professional football team: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Argonauts

So, cracking open a new market in London, after prepping the way for many years with exhibition games, is a different prospect from trying to get Canadians to (presumably) pay for a stadium for a home team for a foreign league with foreign rules of a game they already have and play.

e. Also reading the above article, attendance of CFL games has been in decline for decades. That is not promising precedent for an NFL investment.
The CFL is not the NFL and Canadians know this. Many people in Toronto already follow the NFL, and something like 10-20k Canadians drive across the border to go to every Bills home game already. Toronto could easily support an NFL team of it's own.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

That the source of Vegas' tax money is rich tourists doesn't change the fact that it could be better spent on things which will actually benefit the residents.

Yes and I trust local and state govts to spend the money wisely. California has a lottery system in place which generates hundreds of millions in revenue since the 80s and was specifically instituted to help schools. Cali spends more on education that some states's entire budgets yet the school system is almost dead last in rankings.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

But of course it would make too much sense for Las Vegas to let its citizens vote on it like San Diego did. Much easier for Sheldon Adelson to buy off a couple dozen lawmakers in a special session.

warcrimes posted:

Yes and I trust local and state govts to spend the money wisely. California has a lottery system in place which generates hundreds of millions in revenue since the 80s and was specifically instituted to help schools. Cali spends more on education that some states's entire budgets yet the school system is almost dead last in rankings.

How much worse would California's school system be without lottery revenue? And yeah you're right to mistrust the ability of local and state governments to spend money wisely, I mean Vegas is blowing a couple hundred million on a useless sports stadium!

Adun fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 20, 2017

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

warcrimes posted:

New Raiders logo-

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Durandal1707 posted:

It's a horseshit argument to blame the citizens for the Chargers leaving, because Dean basically never negotiated with the city in good faith. He always had one foot out the door, essentially; notice how's everywhere in LA, while he hid like the cowardly putz he really is while still "negotiating" in SD?

gently caress him.

Exactly. Spanos has been threatening to leave if the taxpayers didn't give him completely undeserved $$$ since I was a little kid. He's a poo poo who's been trying to blackmail our city for decades. The only thing San Diego is at fault for is not getting rid of him earlier.

gently caress Spanos and good riddance.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Gosh, Chargers <fans>, I just wish you coulda supported the team a little more.

*Team leaves to a city with less support*

Longpig Bard fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 20, 2017

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

You can tell we live in a good society when we have people sincerely advocate for a public policy of bread and circuses except without the bread.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

coupbrick posted:

Gosh, Chargers, I just wish you coulda supported the team a little more.

*Team leaves to a city that aggressively boos them whenever mentioned*

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
I was looking at Mark Davis' Wikipedia page, and it says he was born in 1954 or 1955. Is this a joke edit, or does nobody know when he was born?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

warcrimes posted:

New Raiders logo-

:laffo:

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

King Hong Kong posted:

You can tell we live in a good society when we have people sincerely advocate for a public policy of bread and circuses except without the bread.

Bread and circuses except the people of Rome are paying for it instead of caesar

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

coupbrick posted:

Gosh, Chargers <fans>, I just wish you coulda supported the team a little more.

*Team leaves to a city with less support*

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Zack posted:

I was looking at Mark Davis' Wikipedia page, and it says he was born in 1954 or 1955. Is this a joke edit, or does nobody know when he was born?

A lot of times, a public figure's exact birthday isn't known unless he tells somebody, so they just have to guess based on his age.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Members of the Davis family aren't born, they are conjured up.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

seiferguy posted:

Maybe because I'm still bitter about people using the "fans didn't try hard enough" excuse for the Sonics, but I hate it so much. It's just another form of blaming the victim.

Seriously, this is like history repeating. gently caress that argument with a splintery cedar trunk. The Chargers can go gently caress themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

warcrimes posted:

New Raiders logo-

@NFL_MEMES

• Locked thread