Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

mandatory lesbian posted:

hetero privilege is having to explain to cis-female partners that no i'm not gonna dump them to suck some dick out the blue
If you think some female partner can get insanely jealous for no reason of any other girl you look a little too long, wait until you tell them you also gently caress men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

hetero privilege is having to explain to cis-female partners that no i'm not gonna dump them to suck some dick out the blue

homo privilege is having to explain that "no, I'm with you because I want to be not because I'm waiting for the right opposite sex person to come along so I can dump you for a more widely socially acceptable relationship."

bi-people aren't trusted by hetero or homo because hetero and homo don't understand why we can't just "pick a side" and stick with it or that not picking a side doesn't mean you can't be faithful to the person you are with. We are always lusting after the gender we are not currently with, even though we are with them because we want to be, according to insecure partners.
Being bi is a foreign concept that they cannot fully grasp.

Edit: granted, I couldn't even admit out loud that I was bisexual until last year and I've been married for almost 20 years so our relationship is mature enough that we can both point out who's hot and who's not and not feel threatened. If I'd been openly bisexual at the beginning, we probably would have had problems. Instead it was repressed and I just discounted "those" relationships as dalliances and mistakes, hormones and actual feeling be damned.

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 19, 2017

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

This one time I was gonna go out on a date with this bi woman until she made it very clear to me that I would have to meet her parents and pretend to be straight because, oh, turns out her dad's a pastor and she's still in the closet

somehow I turned down this opportunity to seize upon hetero privilege

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
You only have hetero privilege is nobody knows you are bi. So, if you are in the closet, you are golden. Just like a homosexual person in the closet.
So, not like having privilege at all.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

This one time I was gonna go out on a date with this bi woman until she made it very clear to me that I would have to meet her parents and pretend to be straight because, oh, turns out her dad's a pastor and she's still in the closet

somehow I turned down this opportunity to seize upon hetero privilege

except for the dad pastor, this was me in high school :smith:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Aleph Null posted:

homo privilege is having to explain that "no, I'm with you because I want to be not because I'm waiting for the right opposite sex person to come along so I can dump you for a more widely socially acceptable relationship."

bi-people aren't trusted by hetero or homo because hetero and homo don't understand why we can't just "pick a side" and stick with it or that not picking a side doesn't mean you can't be faithful to the person you are with. We are always lusting after the gender we are not currently with, even though we are with them because we want to be, according to insecure partners.
Being bi is a foreign concept that they cannot fully grasp.

Edit: granted, I couldn't even admit out loud that I was bisexual until last year and I've been married for almost 20 years so our relationship is mature enough that we can both point out who's hot and who's not and not feel threatened. If I'd been openly bisexual at the beginning, we probably would have had problems. Instead it was repressed and I just discounted "those" relationships as dalliances and mistakes, hormones and actual feeling be damned.

Ah yes the lovely "how can you not want to cheat on someone if you want to gently caress people of the other sex"

"I don't know, how do you manage not to do it when presumably you want to gently caress people of your preferred sex?"

It's not as if it's a particularly difficult concept to grasp, I don't know why so many people seem to have trouble with it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 19, 2017

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Bi people are actually insatiable lust demons in human skin

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well I guess I really lust for the pizza I'm going to have for tea and then I'm lusting forward to having a good sleep.

Depraved pizza and sleep.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Shukaro posted:

What are pan people then? I'm imagining something like The Violator.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nice! posted:

Indiscriminantly downloading hundreds of thousands of files and dumping them off to a russian stooge does not make you a whistleblower nor does it afford you any whistleblower protections.

Which was not at all the point of my post. All I was trying to say is that it's naive of others to think her life is ruined because of what happened to her.

Almost nobody actually deserves solitary, but many transwomen have to beg, borrow, and steal to even get by. She's going to be able to make a good living telling her story and sounding off about politics and culture for the rest of her life if she wants it.

She'll undoubtedly be the target of intense harassment, anonymous threats, etc for the rest of her life... which makes her not particularly different from any other trans person or famous woman.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Ah yes the lovely "how can you not want to cheat on someone if you want to gently caress people of the other sex"

"I don't know, how do you manage not to do it when presumably you want to gently caress people of your preferred sex?"

It's not as if it's a particularly difficult concept to grasp, I don't know why so many people seem to have trouble with it.

well clearly you can't choose a preferred sex so why choose 1 person!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Never mind, unnecessarily personal.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Thalantos posted:

Why did all the people she worked with who saw her violating OPSEC not do anything about it and not get punished?

I thought you worked in the military? You should know exactly how that happened - soldiers are lazy with security all the time. If anyone even noticed she was moving data around they probably were like "oh they're trying to sneak some games at work!" or something like that. I doubt she was like wearing a big ol' hat with the text "FYI I'M STEALING SECRETS" on it.

Leaks from the military and other classified information sources happen constantly. Even people doing it and sending it straight out into the public (as opposed to legit foreign spies/moles covertly sending stuff to their handlers) happens at least every couple years.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Shukaro posted:

I feel like I missed this memo somewhere. Are there sweet demonic powers I could have been taking advantage of this whole time?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Liquid Communism posted:

I feel like I missed this memo somewhere. Are there sweet demonic powers I could have been taking advantage of this whole time?

Gender ideology hoarded the cool demonic powers, sorry. You can probably get acidic saliva or something though.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Agnosticnixie posted:

Gender ideology hoarded the cool demonic powers, sorry. You can probably get acidic saliva or something though.

I've been trying to get conservatives to leap off church buildings like Damien for years but none do. What gives?!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Mr. Nice! posted:

What are you even trying to say? That you don't get treated like every other straight couple in the world because you have a few gay friends give you poo poo? What about when you and your girlfriend want to get married. Is anyone ever going to refuse to bake you a cake?

Thats what they mean by access to hetero priv is that when you're in an opposite sex relationship society at large will treat you just like every other one. Getting poo poo from your gay friends because they want your dick/rear end instead of you being with someone else does not negate how the world at large treats a M/F couple compared to any other.

Replace 'a few gay friends' with 'every gay person I've ever come out to' and you're on the mark. I haven't told you what relationship I am in, nor is it pertinent.

Sooo, because I get treated with dignity and respect when I erase my bi identity, I have privilege? I think you need to unfuck yourself, and quick.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Liquid Communism posted:

+1 Initiative, according to the last splatbook I read.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

+1 Initiative, according to the last splatbook I read.

Hrm. I should reroll as an Elf for that sweet Dex bonus. :smith:

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

fishmech posted:

I thought you worked in the military? You should know exactly how that happened - soldiers are lazy with security all the time. If anyone even noticed she was moving data around they probably were like "oh they're trying to sneak some games at work!" or something like that. I doubt she was like wearing a big ol' hat with the text "FYI I'M STEALING SECRETS" on it.

Leaks from the military and other classified information sources happen constantly. Even people doing it and sending it straight out into the public (as opposed to legit foreign spies/moles covertly sending stuff to their handlers) happens at least every couple years.

I mean, that's kinda exactly my point; you're supposed to report security violations. Yeah, they're awkward to work with, but, well, they're in place for a reason.

People reported that they saw her bring in a CD-r into the SCIF she worked in, and no one cared that it was against regs because everyone else was bringing in movies to watch and music to listen to.

Edit: I'm not in the military anymore, but part of my job when I was, was to enforce proper safeguarding of sensitive information.

Like, yah, I know that soldiers are lazy and break these laws, that's why there are soldiers like me who investigated and arrested if necessary, troops who were disobeying those laws.

Dwanyelle fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 19, 2017

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.
Just chiming in to say that ever since I came out as bi to my family, my situation's changed from "you just can't marry" ( it was assumed I was gay ) to "you can marry, but only if it's with the opposite gender".

That's what it is. Conditional acceptance. Privilege isn't conditional.

Circutron fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 20, 2017

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Thalantos posted:

People reported that they saw her bring in a CD-r into the SCIF she worked in, and no one cared that it was against regs because everyone else was bringing in movies to watch and music to listen to.
This is what the Army gets for using Intel as its dumping ground for losers and retards for the last 20 years.

Seriously, Manning should have washed out with a GD long before she ever got deployed to a warzone. But instead they assigned her a do-nothing job in the idiot cupboard so they could pretend they actually had sufficient manning levels.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 20, 2017

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
Yeah, the army is definitely terrible.

I guess, maybe, my roundabout point is that she messed up, and needed to receive a punishment for that, but she was also let down by a system that let things escalate to that point.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rent-A-Cop posted:

This is what the Army gets for using Intel as its dumping ground for losers and retards for the last 20 years.

Seriously, Manning should have washed out with a GD long before she ever got deployed to a warzone. But instead they assigned her a do-nothing job in the idiot cupboard so they could pretend they actually had sufficient manning levels.

I hope you meant that pun, because it's pretty great.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

quote:

The Freedoms of Speech and Conscience are core American values that have shaped America since its founding. Under the Trump Administration, Americans will no longer fear speaking their minds or face persecution for professing and practicing their Judeo-Christian beliefs. 

People of all faiths will be free to celebrate and express their religious rights as Americans, but too often the values that founded our nation were targeted by the government that was sworn to protect them.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck :stonk:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Yeah, that can't be good..

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

https://www.whitehouse.gov/lgbt no longer exists.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Wow.

Edit: like, gently caress me, wow. Not even a pretense of support. The wife told me last night, "don't worry; what's going to happen is going to happen whether you worry about it or not" but fuuuuuuuuck me.

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 20, 2017

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Keep your guns loaded and on your person at all times, they are starting to come for us.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Glazier posted:

Keep your guns loaded and on your person at all times, they are starting to come for us.

Get therapy before you hurt someone you moron.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I dunno, gun toting isolationism might make a pretty effective beard.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Eimi posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck :stonk:

Where are you quoting that from? Google's having no luck, and I don't want to lose my poo poo without attribution.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

RagnarokAngel posted:

Get therapy before you hurt someone you moron.

Keep saying that, all the way to the "showers".

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

OwlFancier posted:

I dunno, gun toting isolationism might make a pretty effective beard.

Are "armed paranoiac" and "pepperpot" our only choices?

E: pepperpot: a middle aged woman whose life revolves around 1) being worried, and 2) being offended.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 20, 2017

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

joat mon posted:

Are "armed paranoiac" and "pepperpot" our only choices?

Your choices are armed resistance or mass extermination.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

Where are you quoting that from? Google's having no luck, and I don't want to lose my poo poo without attribution.

Sorry I got it from the Trump thread. I'm having no luck either.

All I've got confirmed is removals of LGBT rights pages on Whitehouse.gov and dol

Eimi fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 20, 2017

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Firebert posted:

https://twitter.com/Sej_Singh/status/822559513786126336

Wow, another great pick he can help out civil rights hero Jeffrey Beauregard Sessions III

all is well.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I've heard a lot of/all .gov/whatever get deleted upon a president's inauguration. Probably still not great though.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Shukaro posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Coffee And Pie posted:

I've heard a lot of/all .gov/whatever get deleted upon a president's inauguration. Probably still not great though.

It's standard practice, but a lot of us are still very worried what will replace them. For instance, the exact spot where civil rights were, was replaced with the "respect law enforcement" page. It may or may not be symbolic, but if it is meant to be, then it's time to prepare.

• Locked thread