Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Laphroaig posted:

Also I was expecting more sanity damage from the Young Pope being revealed to be Irish, but there you go

Wasn't that vision about JFK?

The Unnamed One fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The Unnamed One posted:

Wasn't that vision about JFK?

The pope was phrenetically Italian. The president was Irish and giving the pope the American atom bombs

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Jonas Albrecht posted:

At least make it to the wax cylinder in the beginning.

I fuckin' love the crazy voice they do for the crank

"Zippedy zip zip skidoooooo"

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5AxV1SrTkE

Someone tell this channel that CTH news did their own investigation, and send the latest episode as proof.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
the call of Cthulhu tabletop pizzagate scenario was a really good idea

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Ron Jeremy posted:

The pope was phrenetically Italian. The president was Irish and giving the pope the American atom bombs

you are right, I should have listened more closely to what a reputable phrenologist was saying about race

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Strong Sad/Base Ball Rube stole the show.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Back in episode 19, they pointed out that Jason Jones (husband of Samantha Bee) is kind of a FYGM shithead. This depresses me; please tell me they haven't said terrible things about John Oliver? :ohdear:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
John Oliver sucks dick

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
A condescending limey lecturing middle America is exactly what liberals need

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

prefect posted:

Back in episode 19, they pointed out that Jason Jones (husband of Samantha Bee) is kind of a FYGM shithead. This depresses me; please tell me they haven't said terrible things about John Oliver? :ohdear:

I think they rip on him for the "Drumpf" thing at least once, but if they do mention him other than that it's just as a more general critique of liberal TV comedian-pundits. I believe Will said he's never actually seen the show.

Drumpf aside, LWT has some really fantastic reporting and explanatory segments that aren't the kind of thing the Chapo guys hate, and I wouldn't be surprised if they actually liked it given the chance.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

prefect posted:

they made fun of him for the whole "DRUMPF, HAHA OWNED YOUR NAME IS DRUMPF EVERYONE CALL HIM DRUMPF NOW" thing as if that meant anything at all but I don't think he's ever come up. Jones (and Bee by association) literally fighting for school segregation and getting angry that people call the pro-segregation side racists or question teachers at all is probably a better well to laugh at.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
I think Felix said on the Scumbag that he likes John Oliver but just hates that liberals lionize him, similar to how they did with Jon Stewart in treating him like an authoritative figure that has more power than he really has. Google "John Oliver destroys ______" and you'll see what he's referring to.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dr. Killjoy posted:

I think Felix said on the Scumbag that he likes John Oliver but just hates that liberals lionize him, similar to how they did with Jon Stewart in treating him like an authoritative figure that has more power than he really has. Google "John Oliver destroys ______" and you'll see what he's referring to.

That's a position I'm cool with.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I get where he's doing the same brand of smug nerd liberal clucking that's not helping but Goddamn if they're not doing the Lord's work with actual substantive investigative journalism.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 19, 2017

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I'm in the minority here I guess but my loathing for Oliver is dense and visceral

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

GalacticAcid posted:

I'm in the minority here I guess but my loathing for Oliver is dense and visceral

That's okay; you're allowed to dislike people and things. Sometimes X just doesn't appeal to you.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Felix was on the most recent Arsenal for democracy podcast talking about saudi arabia and it's worth a listen.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dr. Killjoy posted:

yea can't argue with that. Dude's funny (to me at least), he tends to try to actually know his poo poo but treating 'hey this is bad, here's why' as an EPIC TAKEDOWN is crazy

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I'm pretty over the Daily Show style stuff in general but to be completely fair, like 70% of my annoyance at Oliver probably has more to do with seeing "Watch John Oliver EVISCERATE Trump and BATHE IN HIS BLOOD" on Facebook every Monday morning than with the actual show itself.

Like someone else said, the reporting on their long-form segments is great.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
I honestly don't know how anyone can stand to watch Jon Oliver for more than 5 minutes. He is painfully unfunny.

You'd think that the fact that LWT has like 4 jokes that they just repeat variations on would make him improve with practice, but nope.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Ron Jeremy posted:

Felix was on the most recent Arsenal for democracy podcast talking about saudi arabia and it's worth a listen.

http://arsenalfordemocracy.com/

Pretty good listen, gave me some new perspective on the Yemen conflict in relation to Saudi Arabia's previous air commitment to Syria.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
I like LWT and Oliver, but they seem to have a problem inserting the humor in the pieces

Most of the show is structured like "info dump, non sequitur joke, more info dump, another non sequitur joke", and so on.

Sometimes they blend well, but mostly they don't and it's very noticeable.

I guess what I'm saying is go back to The Bugle, you bastard. You broke my Andy's heart.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
The trailer for the new season of LWT was funny.

John Oliver: My shows only a half hour!
Kumail Nanjiani: Could have fooled me.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ace of Baes posted:

The trailer for the new season of LWT was funny.

John Oliver: My shows only a half hour!
Kumail Nanjiani: Could have fooled me.

I was all :neckbeard: over Kumail and Larry showing up. :swoon:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I agree with the Chapo boys when they complain that people should be watching the daily show and LWT for catharsis and release of frustration, because then they don't channel that into doing something

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

hubris.height posted:

I agree with the Chapo boys when they complain that people should be watching the daily show and LWT for catharsis and release of frustration, because then they don't channel that into doing something

Which is kinda funny, since I first heard CTH after the election and that episode catharted me right out of my funk.

But it isn't really the same, what they do. They're not acting like pointing out GOP hypocracy like it's some kind of earth shattering own, or acting like Clinton is some kind of progressive ray of light.

I still watch LWT and even Full Frontal. LWT does interesting stories and I think John Oliver is funny.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I didn't realize there was a C-SPAM Chapo thread until just now since I exist in my bubble of bookmarks: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804951&pagenumber=1

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Which is kinda funny, since I first heard CTH after the election and that episode catharted me right out of my funk.

But it isn't really the same, what they do. They're not acting like pointing out GOP hypocracy like it's some kind of earth shattering own, or acting like Clinton is some kind of progressive ray of light.

I still watch LWT and even Full Frontal. LWT does interesting stories and I think John Oliver is funny.

word for word, same

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jonas Albrecht posted:

i thought samantha bee was one of the better people on the old daily show but her show kinda sucks

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
If they're going to do an episode on 'neoliberalism', then Mark Blyth would be a cool guest.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

This is just kind of sad at this point

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/822242001894723584

Hillary is not and has never been the person these folks so desperately want.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
I'm actually feeling sorry for them now. They do not realize just how little Hillary actually cares, and how she has done and will do nothing Election Night onward.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
someone on my friends list posted a snapchat story of her buying a hillary clinton t shirt lmao

These people will never not be in denial

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

someone on my friends list posted a snapchat story of her buying a hillary clinton t shirt lmao

These people will never not be in denial

Usually when people buy shirts of losing presidential candidates, they're the cool ones like McGovern or Debs.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
One thing I appreciate about this podcast is how it helped to shake me out of the lull I'd fallen into about the media, where if I started to read an article and I found it to be stupid or incoherent, I'd just give it the benefit of the doubt and go "well maybe there's just something here I'm missing." Or I'd see something making the rounds on Facebook and go "well that's obvious horseshit" but everybody would be so excited about it I'd just keep my mouth shut. And the truth is, usually, no, it's just bad. Aside from obvious idiots like D'souza, I think I also focused more on the politicians and ignored how incredibly inbred and pathetic the circus following them has gotten.

Touching briefly on the Jon Oliver thing, the show has also helped me realize what I found so jarring about about those JON DESTROYS DRUMPF or THIS TEENAGER JUST TOOK DOWN NOT-MY-PRESIDENT TRUMP IN ONE SASSY TWEET headlines, which is: Trump has spent the last year acting like a badger jacked up on steroids, and his critics have been spending the last year screaming about it. Except, Trump's about to become the loving president, and all his critics can think to do is... scream about it. Like, it makes sense for Trump to keep it up, because it's WORKING for him. What's everybody else's loving excuse? Why is everybody acting like just ONE MORE article about his conflicts of interest or ONE MORE really brutal standup set is going to do the trick? Change it up, bitches.

In short: love those boys.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the end of Hillary's career and the subsequent drop in the value of her merch all but guarantees that 75% of the population of sub-Saharan Africa will be wearing remaindered I'm With Her t-shirts by this time next year.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

uber_stoat posted:

the end of Hillary's career and the subsequent drop in the value of her merch all but guarantees that 75% of the population of sub-Saharan Africa will be wearing remaindered I'm With Her t-shirts by this time next year.

Well duh they call her sister Hillary

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Pharmaskittle posted:

Well duh they call her sister Hillary

Imagine, five hundred thousand years from now, being the sentient squid-monster tasked with understanding the fall of the decline and fall of American civilization based on the strange and sudden proliferation of terrible campaign slogan merchandise half the planet away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
clinton foundation will dump all unsold merch on haiti and write it off as charity