Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
What do you think of Concept? It sounded like an interesting idea but wondered if it would actually be fun to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Kerro posted:

What do you think of Concept? It sounded like an interesting idea but wondered if it would actually be fun to play.

It's alright for a party game. It's easy enough to explain. I enjoy the idea of using the subconcepts in addition to the main concept. My only huge complaint is that there are so many symbols that you have to grab the reference sheets, and there are only like 4 reference sheets. Also, like most frist to X games, play until you get tired of it, not whenever the manual says the end condition is.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Someday I'm actually gonna clean and organize my collection, I've got a huge walk in closet of games :getin:

Unfortunately the few that actually get decent playtime anymore are all stacked up by the DVDs in the living room. :(

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
We bought an enormous bookshelf for our collection a while ago and finally got around to adding a curtain rail to it to protect the games from sun-fading/hide my dorkiness from visitors.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
e: ^That looks good. Now I want a new bookcase :|

The Nastier Nate posted:

Finally fixed up the shelf for my meager collection. I never realized how big the Lords of Waterdeep box that it wouldn't fit on the lower shelves. In due time I'll need to expand to another wall.

One of us... One of us...

That's how I started, now I have one of these (IKEA bookshelf for like $40?) and am going to go to IKEA to get another one soon because I have like 5 games coming (Patchwork, Castles of Mad King, Santorini, Steampunk Rally, Pandemic Iberia) and a couple preordered whenever CSI gets them in stock (Terraforming Mars, Yamatai) and several I'm just waiting to get back in stock (Junk Art, A Feast for Odin, Scythe, Sherlock Holmes, and Targi) which will probably take another few months. I'm kinda unhappy with the organisation but oh well.

Of course many people here have like 10x that amount.

We've sworn that once the 2nd bookcase gets full that we're done... I swear!

Xaris fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 19, 2017

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

brave man keeping the wine on top

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Yeah...... that's probably stupid but I live in a small 1br with my gf and so we don't have much else to put them, I've tried wobbling it and it's pretty stable but it'll probably get knocked over at some point.

Anyways Amazon had a pricing mistake on 10-pack of 20"x30" black foam core boards for $5 which was supposedly going to ship in 1-2 months, but just got here in time for a nice rainy weekend :toot:

I wasn't really happy with using Plano boxes for some of the games, so I'm going to make a bunch of foamcore inserts for some of my games that have garbage inserts and where Planos just don't cut it. Not sure if anyone cares but I'll be documenting dimensions and such if anyone wants to make their own afterwards

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Please do document things, I've thought about doing foamcore and I'd be interested in reading your process.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Kerro posted:

My group has been playing this a lot. It's really fun, but you need the right clue and the included clue cards are pretty hit or miss. Each card has 3 easy clues, 3 medium clues, and 3 hard clues, but after a few rounds you'll probably find the easier clues lacking any real challenge. A large number of the hard clues are somewhat obscure turns of phrase like "dressed to the nines" or "the road to hell is paved with good intentions", these are difficult to give clues for and not very fun to guess. Specific movies, people, events, etc are usually the most fun, but then you run into a new problem: the clue has to be obscure enough that it isn't guessed without several details, but not so obscure that no one at the table is familiar with it. Two markers down on the spaces for "movie" and "animals" is all it takes for somebody to guess Bambi, on the other hand there might be nobody at the table that has heard of Bowling for Columbine, so you'll have to take the fact that you got somebody to say "bowling" and "Michael Moore" as the best victory you were going to get.

So, yeah, I recommend concept, just don't take it too seriously. Bigger groups are better because you get the most table talk and they make it more likely that somebody will actually get the answer.

Here is a clue I did the other day that nobody was familiar with, hopefully somebody here will get it. The green question mark is the main concept, exclamation points are sub-concepts, and cubes are associated with the concept of the same color.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Kerro posted:

My wife bought Concept and she's not a gaming person but she will tolerate party games and word games, while I prefer 2 hours of cold silence and mathematical computations about how to squeeze out one more VP. Her favorites are Concept and Codenames. It's fun, but here's how we house rule it:

1. 3 minute timer starting from when the green question mark hits the board.
2. +1 bonus point for medium clue, +2 for hard for both the guesser and clue giver (you'll need to get more counters cause there aren't enough light bulbs). Some of the medium and hard clues are actually pretty easy, I guess from the loss in translation from whatever language they were developed in.
3. No teams or anything as described in the instructions. Just play free for all.
4. If you don't like any of your 9 clues, you get one chance to pull another card.

I hope they make an add-on for more cards as I've started to see some repeats in not that many plays. People will gravitate towards some clues if you see the same card twice.

edit: If you have access to a color copier, make some copies of the cheat sheets, 2 isn't enough.

The Nastier Nate fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 20, 2017

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Fenn the Fool! posted:

A large number of the hard clues are somewhat obscure turns of phrase like "dressed to the nines" or "the road to hell is paved with good intentions", these are difficult to give clues for and not very fun to guess.
Your Concept-fu is subpar or perhaps you do not actually like Concept, the hard clues are great. Speaking of which,

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Here is a clue I did the other day that nobody was familiar with, hopefully somebody here will get it. The green question mark is the main concept, exclamation points are sub-concepts, and cubes are associated with the concept of the same color.

Shaolin Kung Fu Monk? I'm not completely sure on the yellow/white clue except maybe the colour of the robes.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Xaris posted:

Yeah...... that's probably stupid but I live in a small 1br with my gf and so we don't have much else to put them, I've tried wobbling it and it's pretty stable but it'll probably get knocked over at some point.

Anyways Amazon had a pricing mistake on 10-pack of 20"x30" black foam core boards for $5 which was supposedly going to ship in 1-2 months, but just got here in time for a nice rainy weekend :toot:

I wasn't really happy with using Plano boxes for some of the games, so I'm going to make a bunch of foamcore inserts for some of my games that have garbage inserts and where Planos just don't cut it. Not sure if anyone cares but I'll be documenting dimensions and such if anyone wants to make their own afterwards

Which games are you doing? There are a few I have that don't have Broken Token type inserts available, or are just a mess of poo poo in a box, and I love organizing the insides of boxes almost as much as I love playing the games.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So do any of you guys posting pictures of your game collection condense the games at all or are they all displayed there? I have only a small bookshelf to hold all mine so whenever I get a new game, after playing it at least a couple times, I start to see how sturdy the box is and how much space is left by removing inserts. For some games like FCM and Caverna, all the components just barely fit inside the box as is and an insert is actually an improvement. For others, like chicago express, the insert is huge and unnecessary. I'm really lucky that the last two games I got, CE and Broom Service, have the exact same size. The Broom insert is just large enough to hold all the needed components without getting crushed by the maps so they fit together perfectly inside the prettier CE box. So far, I've been able to fit games together by "weight" so I can at least pull a couple boxes out for board game night and be sure they're of roughly the same difficulty. Besides Tokaido deluxe edition, which needs the box to fit the huge game board; its partner game is Dungeon Lords. :v:

My only regret is that I chose to keep the Tash Kalar box over the Space Alert box. They are kept together.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Kruller posted:

Which games are you doing? There are a few I have that don't have Broken Token type inserts available, or are just a mess of poo poo in a box, and I love organizing the insides of boxes almost as much as I love playing the games.
Honestly not sure yet, going to go through each box and see which ones are really bad and need an entirely new ones, or just make some mini-trays, and then just have a fun little arts and craft day this weekend (when it's supposedly going to be pouring rain.)

I'll probably try to model some after Broken Token (from their pictures), they seem like did some cool stuff, but I can't justify spending $30 on cheap balsa-wood box inserts when game themselves are like $30-50.

Chill la Chill posted:

So do any of you guys posting pictures of your game collection condense the games at all or are they all displayed there?
Mine are all just displaced there. I think it would drive me crazy if I was putting games inside other games. Exception I guess would be expansions where I don't mind. I'm going to combine my Dominions into one box but that's one I need to make some stuff for.

I think if I really had to choose between games to keep out or not I would probably just take the underplayed ones and put them in the back of a closet or something instead of combining it. But that's just trading space one place for another.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 20, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I just condensed my Mage Knight + Krang + Volkare into the base box using a plano and deck boxes. Makes setup much easier and makes play take up less space. I had to ditch the custom foam core insert I made for the base box, but it's a better system now and cost $4 opposed to what the Broken Token insert costs. Mine is better organized too, hmmpf. I also condensed Roll for the Galaxy into the expansion box, which just barely fits everything and is much more portable. Generally that's the extent of compression though, I never mix match games and I always use the original boxes. I have 4 sets of Dominion in the Adventures box, for instance.

I'm considering making a travel game box with all of my smaller games like Valley of the Kings, Pixel Tactics, Codenames, etc. Anything that can fit in a single small or medium ziploc bag would be a good candidate, then I can just have a tupperware container with 10-15 games for grab and go times.

Also, I need a replacement Phoenix for my copy of Kemet, anyone have an email address for the company's customer service. I didn't lose it, my box was just missing the piece and I'm tired of using a DnD mini that sticks out like a sore thumb.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 20, 2017

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

BitBox should be coming out within a month or two, so we'll see how much that condenses space if you're okay with losing the boxes themselves. I imagine it'd be great for games like Chicago Express and Splendor which are in these huge boxes full of air, or even small box games like Resistance, Coup, Welcome to the Dungeon, etc. Games like Mage Knight, Millennium Blades and Argent and others filled to the brim with stuff would likely be unaffected.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Bottom Liner posted:

Also, I need a replacement Phoenix for my copy of Kemet, anyone have an email address for the company's customer service. I didn't lose it, my box was just missing the piece and I'm tired of using a DnD mini that sticks out like a sore thumb.
My instruction book lists contact@matagot.com
Give that a shot? I Dunno if theirs customer service exactly but they might be able to help you.

That reminds me, I need to print out a bunch of the colored cheat-sheets for the tiles and laminate them with my work's fancy new laminator :getin: Was using some garbage black and white copies for everyone else.

E: If anyone wants anything (rules/cheatsheets/whatever) laminated + cut, I'll mail you as much as you want if you just shoot me postage.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 20, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I've read about people putting games into storage bins like Plano boxes but that costs extra money and in my experience takes up even more space than just combining multiple games into one box. One nice perk about combining games is that all your game boxes achieve a higher density so every box becomes Feast for Odin.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

food court bailiff posted:

Is the Ultimate Edition of Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space going to be any good? I've mentioned a few times in this thread that one of the coolest/most unique games I remember playing a couple times as a kid was Clue: The Great Art Caper, which had an invisible thief moving around capturing paintings, and this looks to be kinda the same style of game.

Quoting myself here since I didn't get an answer way back when.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

I've read about people putting games into storage bins like Plano boxes but that costs extra money and in my experience takes up even more space than just combining multiple games into one box. One nice perk about combining games is that all your game boxes achieve a higher density so every box becomes Feast for Odin.

I think you're confused with people putting plano boxes inside their game boxes to organize everything, unless you mean big boxes to carry a bunch of games at once somewhere. Plus the small planos are like $2-4 a piece, which is a paltry amount. I plano almost every game that doesn't come with a good insert.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

If I like a game enough to hold on to it I tend to get a bit obsessive about expansions so pretty much all the boxes in the above picture are jammed full with the expansion bits. Apart from one or two games I just do plastic bags for components as my games travel a lot and most inserts can't deal with the boxes getting rotated around in transit.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

Xaris posted:

My instruction book lists contact@matagot.com
Give that a shot? I Dunno if theirs customer service exactly but they might be able to help you.

That reminds me, I need to print out a bunch of the colored cheat-sheets for the tiles and laminate them with my work's fancy new laminator :getin: Was using some garbage black and white copies for everyone else.

E: If anyone wants anything (rules/cheatsheets/whatever) laminated + cut, I'll mail you as much as you want if you just shoot me postage.

My experience with them was pretty good, there was a missing Mummy in my copy and they posted one to me really quickly with no fuss.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bottom Liner posted:

I think you're confused with people putting plano boxes inside their game boxes to organize everything, unless you mean big boxes to carry a bunch of games at once somewhere. Plus the small planos are like $2-4 a piece, which is a paltry amount. I plano almost every game that doesn't come with a good insert.

Ah, I play x-wing and assumed people were buying the plano toolboxes with the tackle boxes in them to house several games' worth. Was wondering how you could fit the game board in those. I should probably look into getting some of the cheap plano boxes just to use to hold chits but I found magic prerelease boxes that have several compartments' worth work really well for that purpose already.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Xaris posted:

e: ^That looks good. Now I want a new bookcase :|

One of us... One of us...

That's how I started, now I have one of these (IKEA bookshelf for like $40?) and am going to go to IKEA to get another one soon because I have like 5 games coming (Patchwork, Castles of Mad King, Santorini, Steampunk Rally, Pandemic Iberia) and a couple preordered whenever CSI gets them in stock (Terraforming Mars, Yamatai) and several I'm just waiting to get back in stock (Junk Art, A Feast for Odin, Scythe, Sherlock Holmes, and Targi) which will probably take another few months. I'm kinda unhappy with the organisation but oh well.

Of course many people here have like 10x that amount.

We've sworn that once the 2nd bookcase gets full that we're done... I swear!

my wife told me that once my second shelf is full I have to trade or sell stuff to add more.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Chill la Chill posted:

So do any of you guys posting pictures of your game collection condense the games at all or are they all displayed there? I have only a small bookshelf to hold all mine so whenever I get a new game, after playing it at least a couple times, I start to see how sturdy the box is and how much space is left by removing inserts. For some games like FCM and Caverna, all the components just barely fit inside the box as is and an insert is actually an improvement. For others, like chicago express, the insert is huge and unnecessary. I'm really lucky that the last two games I got, CE and Broom Service, have the exact same size. The Broom insert is just large enough to hold all the needed components without getting crushed by the maps so they fit together perfectly inside the prettier CE box. So far, I've been able to fit games together by "weight" so I can at least pull a couple boxes out for board game night and be sure they're of roughly the same difficulty. Besides Tokaido deluxe edition, which needs the box to fit the huge game board; its partner game is Dungeon Lords. :v:

My only regret is that I chose to keep the Tash Kalar box over the Space Alert box. They are kept together.

I condense as much as I can. I got upgraded bits for Orleans, as well as the expansion, so I cannot condense that down. Both of those boxes are packed. Most everything else is smashed into one box. My Mansions of Madness box is honestly a horror show, excluding the theme itself. It's just a pile of minis that don't stay on their bases mixed in with cards and tiles and I cringe every time I think about it. It's bad enough I've considered just not using the minis at all.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm not entirely sure what they were thinking with the Mansions of Madness bases. Cute idea but when I tried to insert the tokens into the bases some of them immediately got stuck, none of them would go in fully without a serious dose of effort, absolutely none of them stayed reasonably aligned, and even then the monsters just refused to stay upright on the tiles without some major cajoling.

On the upside we established that the lack of music in the app could be made up for with Silent Hill soundtracks.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

this is the current state of things. I refuse to go above a single shelf, so stuff is pretty packed in there. I put all expansion stuff into the base game box, or if (like pandemic) the expansion has a better insert, I use that instead. I keep the expansion boxes because I guess I still have the hoarder genes.

There's not too much shame in there, aside from a bad deckbuilder that I enjoy (Harry Potter) and a regional monopoly that I got as a gift.

I give away games if I don't have enough room. My friends just receive random gifts for stuff that I don't care for/don't play enough/they like more than me.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chill la Chill posted:

I compact my games to some degree. I will take out the inserts and stuff all expansions into the core box (if they fit). I save the expansions boxes for scrap cardboard. All of the Mage Knight in one box is a tight fit, but it manages! The Agricola expansions boxes have a bunch more than just their expansions in them, and the MtG box next to them contains a custom Agricola "cube" of 300 personally selected and crafted cards. I also compacted Twilight Imperium, the cookie tin next to Mage Knight contains all of TI3. It is amazing how much empty space that box had.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Lord Frisk posted:

this is the current state of things.

Seeing Archipelago stored on its side fills me with horror. The amount of time we spent sorting stuff in that game due to the stupid insert :|

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Kerro posted:

Seeing Archipelago stored on its side fills me with horror. The amount of time we spent sorting stuff in that game due to the stupid insert :|

Apart from like three or four tokens, it's all where it needs to be. I can post more pictures if you'd like (when I'm not drinking heavily)

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

I guess if it's just sitting on a shelf it's probably fine - I think ours mostly got jumbled every time from transporting it that way.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Just one shelf? Just two?

Not shown: the other shelf in this room, the two in the dining room, the boxes of exiled games in the basement...

You think you can stop. At one point, so did I.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I just put a hard limit on myself to encourage more plays of the games I really like and prevent buying new hotness until the hype settles. We're moving into our new home soon (first time buyers and we have a dedicated game room woo), so I may add a third 2x2 kallax.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
I have a single 2x2 kallax thats completely filled right now. I may eventually get a 2nd but that would be definitely be a hard limit.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

atholbrose posted:

Just one shelf? Just two?

Not shown: the other shelf in this room, the two in the dining room, the boxes of exiled games in the basement...

You think you can stop. At one point, so did I.
I wanted to laugh at you and ask how many you regularly play, but then I remembered my pile of boxes with custom inserts holding my giant backlog of unassembled and unpainted miniatures and I thought that maybe I shouldn't throw stones :shobon:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would like to watch a well done "actual play" of Fury of Dracula (3rd Edition) we've done a game and it took 3 - 4 hours which means we did SOMETHING wrong.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 20, 2017

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Some of those have expansions inside them (LOTR LCG is packed tight!). Some have Planos. The purple binder is full of Dominion. CoB and the Gric are in my "to sell or trade" section.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I have that same shelf thing. Looks nice.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

I would like to watch a well done "actual play" of Fury of Dracula (2nd Edition) we've done a game and it took 3 - 4 hours which means we did SOMETHING wrong.

I'm mostly familiar with the 3rd edition but the old edition has a time limit as well so I don't know. Either people are literally taking 10 minutes to perform their turn or Dracula isn't maturing vampires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My buying habits were tempered when I entered a 10x10 blood pact with a friend. We vow to play 10 games at least 10 times a year.

It certainly does radically alter my opinion of games I thought I would love. Like A Feast for Odin has 2 more plays to redeem itself in my mind although technically we've played it close to 20 times since December.