Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

fishmech posted:

Worth remembering that the average car on the road right now is 12 years old. Even if every car that was sold from tomorrow onward was fully autonomous, it would be likely to take at least 12 years for normal processes of car buying and junking to get us to a majority of cars on the road having the functionality.

What is the average age of a passenger railcar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Spazzle posted:

What is the average age of a passenger railcar rider?

Disclaimer: I love rail travel even after an Amtrak trip that was 18 hours late when we fled the train in Sacramento, 3 hours by car from home.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

remember when tesla autopilot decapitated one of tesla's biggest fans?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Remember when this thread was about unicorns?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I have a hard time believing that the tens of thousands of people spending billions of dollars to make automated cars a reality haven't considered it, or would implement a solution with such a predictable flaw.

Said the poster in the tech bubble thread.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Tokamak posted:

Said the poster in the tech bubble thread.
Even if you're skeptical of SV tech companies, Real Car Companies are also going whole hog into self-driving technology.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

fishmech posted:

Yeah, self-driving cars were prominently featured at General Motors' Futurama exhibit of a future city, in the 1939-1940 New York World's Fair. At that time GM was saying the cars would be widespread in just 20 years' time, 1960 or so.

It's weird how people (sometimes the same people) use both the argument that automatic cars can't be real or in our lifetime because they are so new it will take forever to get them and also that they can't happen in our life time because people have been working on them for 100 years and that means they are fake.

If car companies have been working on them for literal lifetimes, imagine all the legal and practical issues they must have already solved!

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Guys, please go to the other thread for the car stuff.

Weatherman posted:

Remember when this thread was about unicorns?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

JawnV6 posted:

The Tesla accident/mile comparisons always bug me because it seems like they're cherrypicking sunny highway miles against the national average that includes situations the system wouldn't even attempt like "light rain."

They are, and also they ignore China, where the accidents were so numerous they had to turn the feature off.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

dex_sda posted:

They are, and also they ignore China, where the accidents were so numerous they had to turn the feature off.

You are just making things up. There was two accidents in china, one fatal and in that one autopilot was very likely not even on since the guy reduced the amount demanded to 1000 something dollars and refused to share the part of the tesla that holds the data log.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Please, stop.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I don't understand why posters who don't like the way the auto car thread went think it will go any better in this one. Or why posting about auto cars in the thread that specifically said "hey, this is a bit of a derail, would you kindly post about it in this new thread over here so we can post more about the fall of Marissa Mayer and Peter Thiel in this one" isn't incredibly obnoxious.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Yeah, cars do need to go back to the cars thread. D&D needs to be better in general about technology threads, there isn't enough of them so every single one grows into being a catch all.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
At the very least, we'll have this thread as a fun record when Governerd Thiel raids the state's pension in a few years and leaves us a bloody mess.

I mean, SV will be a glass-dome fortress by then so no one up north will care.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, cars do need to go back to the cars thread. D&D needs to be better in general about technology threads, there isn't enough of them so every single one grows into being a catch all.

This is a business thread, not a technology thread!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

FilthyImp posted:

At the very least, we'll have this thread as a fun record when Governerd Thiel raids the state's pension in a few years and leaves us a bloody mess.

I mean, SV will be a glass-dome fortress by then so no one up north will care.

No way Peter Thiel lets all that blood go to waste :colbert:

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Subjunctive posted:

This is a business thread, not a technology thread!

It's on the internet, therefore it's a technology thread :colbert:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Spazzle posted:

That's not readily available, but there's a bunch of 40-50 year old stock inherited from private operators in the process of converting the nation's passenger rail from private ownership to near total public ownership, not much in the way of 30 year old cars as the 80s were mainly spent trying to keep the existing fleets going while repairs to systems and integrating formerly separate lines went on, and then since about the mid-90s a steadily increasing growth in straight up new fleet. Both from finally getting rid of even older equipment inherited from predecessors, and completely new systems springing up, some of which took the oldest cars from existing systems, and some of which just bought new.

It'd probably work out something along the lines of the average age being like 20 years, but that's with a huge chunk of 70s stock on the one side of that, and another huge chunk of post-2007 or so stock on the other because a lot of agencies did mass-modernization programs in the past 10 years.

You also have things like how there's a few passenger cars up here in Boston that are from the 1930s on certain lines, or how the NYC Subway still runs about 200 cars that were built and delivered in 1964-1965, though they'll finally be removed from service in like 2020. Of course in these cases, and in the cases of all the 70s cars on various agencies, they've all been rebuilt at least once over, sometimes twice or three times, so really only the outer shells are that old. You don't tend to get that with a regular person's auto unless they're some sort of serious enthusiast.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

If car companies have been working on them for literal lifetimes, imagine all the legal and practical issues they must have already solved!

Not as much as you seem to think, frankly. The legal side is still a huge loving mess, especially as far as liability and insurance goes. And there's still lots of problems with sensors and deciding how to handle it when critical sensors are disabled/blinded.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 20, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

fishmech posted:

Not as much as you seem to think, frankly. The legal side is still a huge loving mess, especially as far as liability and insurance goes. And there's still lots of problems with sensors and deciding how to handle it when critical sensors are disabled/blinded.

Wanna take this up in the automatic car thread?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Wanna take this up in the automatic car thread?

Bless you.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Hmm - seems like an app to remind people to take it to the automotive thread would be pretty disruptive... I wonder if I can get any VC investment for this.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
cars

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

fishmech posted:

That's not readily available, but there's a bunch of 40-50 year old stock inherited from private operators in the process of converting the nation's passenger rail from private ownership to near total public ownership, not much in the way of 30 year old cars as the 80s were mainly spent trying to keep the existing fleets going while repairs to systems and integrating formerly separate lines went on, and then since about the mid-90s a steadily increasing growth in straight up new fleet. Both from finally getting rid of even older equipment inherited from predecessors, and completely new systems springing up, some of which took the oldest cars from existing systems, and some of which just bought new.

It'd probably work out something along the lines of the average age being like 20 years, but that's with a huge chunk of 70s stock on the one side of that, and another huge chunk of post-2007 or so stock on the other because a lot of agencies did mass-modernization programs in the past 10 years.

You also have things like how there's a few passenger cars up here in Boston that are from the 1930s on certain lines, or how the NYC Subway still runs about 200 cars that were built and delivered in 1964-1965, though they'll finally be removed from service in like 2020. Of course in these cases, and in the cases of all the 70s cars on various agencies, they've all been rebuilt at least once over, sometimes twice or three times, so really only the outer shells are that old. You don't tend to get that with a regular person's auto unless they're some sort of serious enthusiast.

Essentially, guided missile on rails become ticking time bombs with age. Is there anything you lack an educated opinion on, Prof. Braniac MD? I wonder how someone can be so smart without being a device like a car, or meter, or terminator cyborg.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This article isn't about a unicorn, but the app company it talks about seems full of that unicorn spirit.

“We’re not trying to gamify or make fun of this experience. The adoption industry at large is a little bit underserved by the tech industry. We saw this unique opportunity to disrupt it, particularly when you’re talking about online adoption."

"Once you’ve created a parenting profile, simply set your search criteria and Adoptly will instantly filter through our database bringing the broadest range of adoptable kids straight to your fingertips. Just swipe right if you’re interested, or left to keep looking. And if a kid, through their agency or foster care, like you back it’s a match.”

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

RandomPauI posted:

“We’re not trying to gamify or make fun of this experience"

if that's the case, maybe you shouldn't have named your software "Adoptly" and put it on Kickstarter.

edit: jesus christ you can swipe left or right on pictures of children there is literally no way this isn't a parody

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Why does adoption need disruption

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

nachos posted:

NEVER ASK THAT QUESTION

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

RandomPauI posted:

This article isn't about a unicorn, but the app company it talks about seems full of that unicorn spirit.

“We’re not trying to gamify or make fun of this experience. The adoption industry at large is a little bit underserved by the tech industry. We saw this unique opportunity to disrupt it, particularly when you’re talking about online adoption."

"Once you’ve created a parenting profile, simply set your search criteria and Adoptly will instantly filter through our database bringing the broadest range of adoptable kids straight to your fingertips. Just swipe right if you’re interested, or left to keep looking. And if a kid, through their agency or foster care, like you back it’s a match.”

Just imagining children always swiping right like the jokes about tinder is kinda :smithicide:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

nachos posted:

You know how hard it is to obtain a child without people asking questions?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
https://twitter.com/arr/status/823198433209040897

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
My friends are telling me that adoptly thing is probably just an "edgy white liberal" "parodical stunt", I prefer it being real though

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I am trying super hard to believe it was a joke.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...m_medium=social

quote:

Four years ago, Sheryl Sandberg started a national conversation about women in the workplace with her wildly popular manifesto, Lean In. In it, she urged women to "lean in" to their work lives in ways that don't come naturally: Speak up in meetings and ask for raises, for example. For many, this advice was refreshing, even radical.

Unfortunately, a lot of it doesn't work, research has found. Sandberg herself has even walked back some of her claims, admitting it would be hard for a single mother to follow her advice. No matter what women do, they can't seem to get ahead. They still make up less than 20 percent of c-suite jobs, and the pay gap persists.

lean in is officially dead. :unsmith:

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

namaste faggots posted:

lean in is officially dead. :unsmith:

good. lean in was victim blaming bullshit

if companies want better diversity they need to put diverse people in positions of power and actually let them exercise that power. a token minority/woman in your c-suite isn't going to do poo poo if they only serve at the pleasure of the usual suspects

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
2017, where your chic 40-person luxury furniture startup includes two people who might be expected by title to know something about furniture. And, of course, no one to actually make the stuff, since obviously we still have to do that somewhere else or a $3000 couch isn't profitable.

https://joybird.com/team/

What kind of title is "Swatch Experience"

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Tim Raines IRL posted:

What kind of title is "Swatch Experience"

I know they mean "that binder of fabrics is now a hamburger menu" but it's fun to think of an executive level position that chides folks for using "minutes" or "hours" and forces everyone onto a calendar system using .beats to measure meetings.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

"Not a job, but a joy!"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bring back beats!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is it really custom furniture if the only thing that isn't mass produced is the fabric exterior but you only have a small list of choices for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RandomPauI posted:

Is it really custom furniture if the only thing that isn't mass produced is the fabric exterior but you only have a small list of choices for that?

Yeah, that's how the furniture industry rolls. It also has to take 8-12 weeks to arrive.