Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Lets Pickle posted:

I think what I enjoyed most about TP is that I played through the game blind and many of the dungeon items were a huge surprise up until the moment I got them. When I beat the Arbiter's Grounds, I didn't know what item I would be getting at all. The spinner was super cool, even though it was stupid outside of that one dungeon. At snowpeak I expected to get some kind of fire item to melt the big pieces of ice, and instead I got a freakin ball and chain. In the Temple of time I thought I would get some kind of teleportation object,. but instead I got to control robots!

The problem I had with TP was that these unique, cool dungeon items had almost no use outside of the dungeons they were designed for. Except for the ball and chain, which was sick as hell. I would have loved to see the spinner or Rod of Something be useful against some enemies.

Skyward Sword had some good points, like the dungeons, and some bad points, like everything else.

I'm with you. It would have been nice to be able to use the Spinner to quickly traverse a lot of places; major missed opportunity. I guess that we will have to console ourselves (no pun intended) with shield surfing in Breath of the Wild, six weeks from now. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Cojawfee posted:

I think Skyward Sword definitely makes better use of items than Twilight Princess even if TP had some more interesting items. Even then, it is rare to use certain items in Skyward Sword. It does do a pretty decent job of reminding the player to use certain items. There was one dungeon where I didn't really know what to do until I got to a room that had dust piles in it. I used the blower thing on them and then realized that it also worked on another type of thing on the ground which helped to open up new areas. While not super realistic, it trains you to look for specific types of things like the hookshot targets, the dust piles, and the whip branches. I also think it's interesting that the bow is the last item you get in the game. The sword and the bow are the two main staples of Zelda games and they end up being first and last in this game.

The items are better utilized in SS but not by much since the game is built around the sword they still feel very underused. I cant tell you how pumped i was to get a whip with those controls, only to barely use it. Same with the bow.

The beetle and the dust buster felt adequately used though. I think the dust buster could be a classic Zelda item with some tweaks to make it easier to use.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

Not every item is going to be a massive game changer, some shrines will probably contain the usual quiver/etc upgrades or unique weapons/armor/equipment.

You'll get a chest with 100 rupees in it at the end of each one and like it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I hope there's a way to actually upgrade Link and friends' physical attributes. Make him climb faster, give him better stamina, improve your horses' running speed, stuff like that.

EDIT: Gliders that glide better, bombs and magnesis with more power/range, so on and so forth.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

You'll get a chest with 100 rupees in it at the end of each one and like it.

Don't Spend It All At Once!

It'd be cool if there was more diversity in powerups and items to collect. Not crafting recipes, but things like extra carrots for Hyah-ing the horse or extra stamina for Link. Watered down RPG stats stuff, basically.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

youcallthatatwist posted:

It looks like each shrine gives you a spirit orb, which can presumably be exchanged for goodies somewhere. Essentially each one will be a mini challenge, and the ones on the plateau seem to be exceptions in how easy they are, because they're basically tutorial rooms for the runes. The others they showed at E3 were significantly more complex.
This, but also every completed one becomes a fast travel point.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Calaveron posted:

I hope there's a way to actually upgrade Link and friends' physical attributes. Make him climb faster, give him better stamina, improve your horses' running speed, stuff like that.

EDIT: Gliders that glide better, bombs and magnesis with more power/range, so on and so forth.

The game awards footage had a second stamina wheel around the first one. Link is definitely getting upgraded somehow.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Evil Eagle posted:

The game awards footage had a second stamina wheel around the first one. Link is definitely getting upgraded somehow.

That might be tied to equipment though.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I'd be happy to buy cool-but-unnecessary upgrades with my orbs. Like ice bombs, or enemy-seeking arrows, or sword beams! loving love sword beams. Skyward Sword will always have a place in my heart for bringing sword beams back to Zelda.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Sword beams are very cool.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Evil Eagle posted:

Yeah, I saw that too, and yeah maybe it's tied to equipment or food but would be nice to make it a reward

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Actually, I just thought of another possibility; what if these orbs are replacements for heart pieces? Like you can use them to buy additional heart containers if you want to, but you can also use them to buy more stamina, faster running/climbing, a better bomb-throwing arm, etc. I think a mix of old/new systems would be cool; they could still award you heart containers for beating major storyline bosses, but past that, it's up to you to decide how much health you need to win and what you want your questing to give you.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I mean it wouldn't be bad but I also wouldn't be terribly excited to see the same "spend generic points on an rpg upgrade tree" mechanic that every pseudo-action game has done for years.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
What would be neat is if heart pieces/stamina upgrades/magic upgrades were spread around the world somewhat at random and you could find them as you explore OR you could pay in-game rupees for the location of the next upgrade of a specific type.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Febreeze posted:

Variety is going to be key. I like the sound of 4 main dungeons and cojaffee is right that there are usually 2 really new, great dungeons per game and others tend to just exist so more time focused on smaller dungeon amounts will probably mean better dungeons

the 100 shrines doesn't ease my mind on the worry that most of the game will be filler though. A map that keeps getting talked about for how massive it is, and there are 4 dungeons? 100 shrines sounds great at first, but how do you make 100+ shrines not feel samey and dull by like shrine 30? How big are these shrines? Like a puzzle room like that one room in TP with the ice blocks? I keep picturing shrines like those random caves you'd find in OoT or MM, little holes in the ground with a single thing of interest, which is cool, but again, 100+?

Im worried most of the game is going to be wandering around looking for something genuinely interesting to do

I'm kinda worried about this too. If there are only four big dungeons and they are inside the giant robot animals I hope the insides aren't all the same.

I hope they don't take out Heart Pieces, if they do what other collectable items will we be searching for in the wild? Bugs, Poes, Shrines, and Korok?

VanSandman posted:

What would be neat is if heart pieces/stamina upgrades/magic upgrades were spread around the world somewhat at random and you could find them as you explore OR you could pay in-game rupees for the location of the next upgrade of a specific type.

bring back Tingle to sell me the maps please

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Gorgolflox posted:

I'm kinda worried about this too. If there are only four big dungeons and they are inside the giant robot animals I hope the insides aren't all the same.

I hope they don't take out Heart Pieces, if they do what other collectable items will we be searching for in the wild? Bugs, Poes, Shrines, and Korok?

bring back Tingle to sell me the maps please

Those are Tingle's magic words. Don't steal them!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I think LBW has what amounts to Shrines in some caves, it's a really cool system. Rewards are usually rupees, which works in that game because it's so money-driven. BotW seems to have less focus on an economy, so I'm expecting rare foods and heart pieces being the main Shrine rewards.

there's been a lot of Monkey Paw discussion about Nintendo lately, and I realised the biggest one yet- windwaker. "It's a huge open ocean! Divided into a grid".

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

well why not posted:

I think LBW has what amounts to Shrines in some caves, it's a really cool system. Rewards are usually rupees, which works in that game because it's so money-driven. BotW seems to have less focus on an economy, so I'm expecting rare foods and heart pieces being the main Shrine rewards.

there's been a lot of Monkey Paw discussion about Nintendo lately, and I realised the biggest one yet- windwaker. "It's a huge open ocean! Divided into a grid".

Yeah, LBW's little cave puzzles where you have to use your wall-merging to get around are awesome as hell.

Regarding Wind Waker's ocean, it's weird. Yeah, it's divided into a grid, but I never really feel that when I'm playing it, if only because the way things are laid out within each grid varies enough that I never feel too much like I'm just moving square-to-square. I think the only time I did feel that way was when I was tracking down every single map-drawing fish, but that's because I knew there was one per square and I literally was just going square-to-square.

I really do love Wind Waker so much. I know there was some consternation about the Boss Keys video that trashed Wind Waker's dungeon design, but I think people missed that a) Boss Keys is explicitly only about dungeon design, and b) he finishes up by saying that Wind Waker is still a good Zelda game, because Zelda games aren't only dungeons and Wind Waker has so much more going for it than that.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Once I realized there was one island per grid, it made the world feel less overwhelmingly vast and unconquerable. Not sure if that was a good thing. It was fun going into a grid and stopping and spyglassing for some of the tiny islands, and sometimes something was SO huge that it was a grid away and I'd accidently navigate towards that.

BotW sounds like it wants to capture that spirit. Talk about you see something way in the distance you you go towards it adventuring on the way. Man I cant wait for this game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm concerned. I play Zelda for the dungeons and in general my favourite ones tend to be the ones with the most dungeons, so ALBW, OOT and TP. I hope the shrines can make up for this.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I'm concerned. I play Zelda for the dungeons and in general my favourite ones tend to be the ones with the most dungeons, so ALBW, OOT and TP. I hope the shrines can make up for this.

Yeah, WW had the small islands that were a mini puzzle, and that's all I can think of for a Shrine. I have a bad taste in my mouth from cookie cutter end game 'dungeons' in FFXV, and twilight Princess gave us Zelda precedence for "go down different paths until you happen on the right one" lovely mini dungeons. 100 sounds like a lot, so I have a back cookie cutter feeling.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Yeah I'm a little bummed there aren't more dungeons, but this game is fundamentally different from any of the other games so far that judging it by dungeons seems very premature.

I can't believe I have to wait another six goddamn weeks. How am I supposed to spend my life until then? By working and going on dates and hanging out with friends like some kind of LOSER? No give me that Zelda now dammit! It's done! Let me have it!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The lack of dungeons actually makes me feel a little better about waiting a while before buying it instead of jumping on it right at launch. (Well, that, and the one-two punch of Nioh and Nier: Automata dropping within a couple weeks of each other, too.) I'm really curious to see what everyone's impression of the game is, how fun the open world is, if the dungeons are good and if the shrines are fun or repetitive, etc.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Harrow posted:

The lack of dungeons actually makes me feel a little better about waiting a while before buying it instead of jumping on it right at launch. (Well, that, and the one-two punch of Nioh and Nier: Automata dropping within a couple weeks of each other, too.) I'm really curious to see what everyone's impression of the game is, how fun the open world is, if the dungeons are good and if the shrines are fun or repetitive, etc.

Theres a BUNCH of other games launching near this, but Zelda gonna take precedence. Still skeptical about Nioh, I didn't like the demo as much as everyone else, but maybe I didn't find my right style or couldn't get the notsouls timing down. I have to be in the mood to jump into a soulslike, Im always in the mood for a Zelda.

Nier was loving fantastic though, that's a tough call...probably still Zelda

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Theres a BUNCH of other games launching near this, but Zelda gonna take precedence. Still skeptical about Nioh, I didn't like the demo as much as everyone else, but maybe I didn't find my right style or couldn't get the notsouls timing down. I have to be in the mood to jump into a soulslike, Im always in the mood for a Zelda.

Nier was loving fantastic though, that's a tough call...probably still Zelda

I'm prioritizing Nier and Nioh because I've already gotten to try them, basically, and I remain just a little bit skeptical about Breath of the Wild. I've played enough open world games where the open world is just time-wasting boredom that I want to wait and make sure that it's actually fun to explore before I dive right in. Plus, I want to see how the Wii U version looks compared to the Switch version on launch to see if I'll be able to stand playing with worse visuals and sound than I could if I waited to play until I get a Switch one day.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Harrow posted:

I'm prioritizing Nier and Nioh because I've already gotten to try them, basically, and I remain just a little bit skeptical about Breath of the Wild. I've played enough open world games where the open world is just time-wasting boredom that I want to wait and make sure that it's actually fun to explore before I dive right in. Plus, I want to see how the Wii U version looks compared to the Switch version on launch to see if I'll be able to stand playing with worse visuals and sound than I could if I waited to play until I get a Switch one day.

Understandable, especially if you want to wait on the Switch until it has, you know, more then Zelda. I did demo both Nioh and Neir, Neir blew me away. Nioh, I couldn't get past the first group of 2 enemies.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Understandable, especially if you want to wait on the Switch until it has, you know, more then Zelda. I did demo both Nioh and Neir, Neir blew me away. Nioh, I couldn't get past the first group of 2 enemies.

I'm a huge Souls/Bloodborne fan and Nioh kicked my rear end a ton at first until I realized I had to treat it differently (basically, don't ever loving let an enemy see your back or you're going to get owned hard), then I started to have a lot of fun with it. I appreciate that it took some Souls elements but ended up making a game that plays very differently, rather than just mimicking almost everything (Lords of the Fallen).

And yeah, I definitely want to wait until the Switch has more than Zelda. Though if the Wii U version at least has decent colors and not the washed-out colors of the E3 demo (and doesn't have significantly worse framerate drops than the Switch version), I'll probably just get it on the Wii U so I don't end up waiting until like December or something.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I too love the Souldbourne's but its a commitment to them, I have to get into the swing and timing and feel like I cant play different games when Im playing them because Ill lose my rhythm with the game. Annoys me when DLC comes out and its hard to jump into end game content cold. So when I play Nioh, I will be playing Nioh, til Nioh's done.

Some BotW footage looks very "washed out" and "covered in Vaseline" Im interested to know which version the footage is from, and the WiiU footage we have is super old, and nobody knows for sure yet.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 20, 2017

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I had just played MM for the first time earlier last year, so i'm all for a 4 (+1 final probably) dungeon game.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I'm more of the other mind. My favourite Zelda is probably LttP, and one of the things I like about it is that there are 10 or 11 "official dungeons", depending upon how you look at it. OoT also has a high number and it's perhaps my second favourite, while MM is one I'm rather lukewarm on for a number of reasons, but only four dungeons seems a bit anaemic to me.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Are we even sure there are going to be only 4 dungeons? I thought that was a rumor.

Personally I'm hoping like hell for more.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Are we even sure there are going to be only 4 dungeons? I thought that was a rumor.

Personally I'm hoping like hell for more.

It's just a rumor, but that rumor came with "100+ mini-dungeons" before we found out about the 100+ shrines. Plus it makes sense with the little bit of lore we got so far, there's four beasts that helped unleash the robots or whatever, each in a corner of the world or something, so go to the four furthest points of the map to reach the main dungeons, thus explore as much as possible on your way.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

100+ Shrines gonna go full Other M and give you +1 arrow or +1 bomb per pickup.

Or some scraps where you get a piece of bomb cloth, find 4 more to upgrade your bomb bag.

100 is a LOT to have candy at the end of is what Im saying.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Eh, we've seen a good chunk of shrines so far. There's rare-ish materials in treasure chests in them and they all give an orb once you clear them. I feel like it'll probably be what someone mentioned earlier and remove heart pieces in favor of skill trees you max out with the orbs from the shrines. The biggest draw will probably be that you can just stumble upon them and decide to spend a bit solving puzzles instead of exploring.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

100+ Shrines gonna go full Other M and give you +1 arrow or +1 bomb per pickup.

Or some scraps where you get a piece of bomb cloth, find 4 more to upgrade your bomb bag.

100 is a LOT to have candy at the end of is what Im saying.

Some of the streams from later in the game when Link is geared out a lot more have a plus sign on the bombs when they are brought up in the Sheikah slate. There's also a way to increase the standard stamina wheel with an extra wheel. Unless there are only 5-6 main "items" 100 shrines is enough for heart pieces, collectibles, tons of rupees, item/slate upgrades, and high level equip-able gear..

Just going off the standard list of items in old Zelda games there will need to be 6-10 items for a wide diversity of puzzle options that are more then bombs, arrows, and hookshot targets. The stasis rune looks cool but it's got limited applications for anything other then storing momentum to launch something or freezing a switch to stay activated. The magnetic rune is the same, just move and place objects. The bombs have variety that are new but at the core are still bombs. The ice rune just creates platforms. Dungeon puzzles using those 4 features will get stale pretty quick, so either each rune has various upgrades to increase functionality or there are still non-rune things like the hookshot, grappling hook, hammer etc. that will get a lot of use as over-world exploration tools as well.

I'm hoping there's some form of universal storage in the game too. The 8 weapons allows for a good amount of collecting but it seems like the weapons break pretty quickly so you'd need 3-4 to stay combat ready, plus the korok leaf to sail, the element rods for fun, 2 handers, spears, etc. so that doesn't leave much room for finding and hoarding a great weapon for a boss fight if you need to carry it around the entire time and take up inventory space.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Eh, we've seen a good chunk of shrines so far. There's rare-ish materials in treasure chests in them and they all give an orb once you clear them. I feel like it'll probably be what someone mentioned earlier and remove heart pieces in favor of skill trees you max out with the orbs from the shrines. The biggest draw will probably be that you can just stumble upon them and decide to spend a bit solving puzzles instead of exploring.

Some of the rare materials have flavor text that basically says "This is really rare and will sell for a lot" so between that and rupee chests grinding out the shrines for quick cash will probably be the easiest way to bulk out the wallet.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
So where are you guys going to set out for first? I'm thinking of heading south - I've had enough of cold and snow, between Skyrim and it being January in Wisconsin right now.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
BotW Switch bundle isn't restocked yet. :qq:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Keiya posted:

So where are you guys going to set out for first? I'm thinking of heading south - I've had enough of cold and snow, between Skyrim and it being January in Wisconsin right now.

I'm going through the Twin Peaks ASAP.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
I love deserts so I will probably desert the main quest (hah) and head west. Also I wanna meet the gerudo.

I'm really hoping there's more going on storywise than just traditional jrpg "if you don't beat ganon soon the WORLD WILL END (but actually there's no tension and you can do all the sidequests you want whenever)" stuff. Then again zelda games have had pretty weak writing imo as of late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Keiya posted:

You should set out anywhere that isn't Wisconsin.