Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

mitztronic posted:

For the 10 millionth time, beat matching requires about 1 hour to learn for most people, 2 hours at the most, with a few hours of practice getting it down pretty good.

It's not some extremely difficult technical maneuver that takes 80 hours a week of practice that only a few people in the world can do, so let's please stop acting like it's some kind of good thing when it's not there.

Lets be honest, DJs were already a dime a dozen before the sync button came out, yet people keep acting like it was THE END and now everyone is going to be a DJ, and you can still see the artifacts of that today.

e: I realize the mild irony of me posting this :saddowns:

lololol

i really don't understand why it's even there on the high end models. They literally have everything you could possibly need to get 2 songs in time in under 5 seconds. I'm sure using it causes more harm then good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
It's not that hard to learn how to beatmatch when all you play is 4x4 house/big room edm music. It's harder to learn how to phrase match though. It's much harder to learn how to mix Hip Hop too.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Also if you warp your beat grids to quantize non quantized music, you're a loving monster.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
all I want to do is juggle hot cues ok

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

:smugvinyl:

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Fenarisk posted:

I find phrasing/lining up songs properly to be much harder, like those times you know what you want but it's like that horrific 2-3 seconds where one ends and the other hasn't kicked in fully yet.

this is what 4/8/16 bar loops are for :ssh:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

keevo posted:

It's not that hard to learn how to beatmatch when all you play is 4x4 house/big room edm music. It's harder to learn how to phrase match though. It's much harder to learn how to mix Hip Hop too.

The truth.

For beatmatching, as in 'getting the kicks to line up' that's completely teachable in an hour on a set of CDJs. I know, I taught a drunk bloke to do it at a house party. On vinyl it becomes more difficult because there's no big LED indicator telling you what the bpm is. That's definitely not an hour long lesson.

On a CDJ if the person you're teaching can count to 4 they'll be beatmatching in no time.

On vinyl you'll be there for a long time, it's a much more involved process.

As above, actually understanding music theory is more difficult and then applying it to genres that aren't simply 4/4 is another level too. Beatmatching is easy, becoming a solid DJ that can mix all sorts well is another matter entirely.

*edit: also sync mode on my DDJ-SX is far too confusing to ever use, it resets itself and seems to just sync when it feels like it. No idea why and it's not something I need to use so it's just a pointless feature to me. If you wanna use it though knock yourself out but know that your track selection better be on point...

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

vanilla slimfast posted:

this is what 4/8/16 bar loops are for :ssh:

I'll do that sometimes for outro/intro parts but I feel doing it too much is cheating, plus lining up two build ups to a drop at the same time doesn't afford looping anyway. It's definitely where I'm putting most of my practice.

I've decided after doing an after party for about 30 people in two weeks I'm gonna give the bar a shot, if nothing than to try the cdj's and to hear my poo poo really, really loud for once.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Fenarisk posted:

I'll do that sometimes for outro/intro parts but I feel doing it too much is cheating, plus lining up two build ups to a drop at the same time doesn't afford looping anyway. It's definitely where I'm putting most of my practice.

I've decided after doing an after party for about 30 people in two weeks I'm gonna give the bar a shot, if nothing than to try the cdj's and to hear my poo poo really, really loud for once.

It's not cheating. Everyone has their own style.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

keevo posted:

It's not cheating.

The only thing that is cheating in DJing is asking for someone else to give you their music/pick out tracks for them. It's happened on these very forums, and I see it happen all the time on the reddit DJ forum.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

mitztronic posted:

The only thing that is cheating in DJing is asking for someone else to give you their music/pick out tracks for them. It's happened on these very forums, and I see it happen all the time on the reddit DJ forum.

I hope you've seen a video of DJ Khaled playing live. It's the funniest poo poo.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

mitztronic posted:

Never understood this. I've tried to reach out and trade tracks (like actual records, I have tons of 2x) with other DJ's. About half are totally cool about it and the other half acts like you just asked David Cooperfield how he does all his tricks.

Me and a friend will often fire up a the decks with one handing the other a playlist in real time. It's fun. This poo poo's supposed to be fun. drat.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

DJs who treat tracks like trade secrets are almost all terrible. If you want to have something nobody else has get into making your own edits or dig up rare grooves at the record store.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Got to spend an hour at guitar center playing with their nexus 2's, drat these things are fun and it only took like a half hour to really get used to everything I do on my SX. The DJM is another story though with effects beyond high and low pass :psyduck:

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

revmoo posted:

Never understood this. I've tried to reach out and trade tracks (like actual records, I have tons of 2x) with other DJ's. About half are totally cool about it and the other half acts like you just asked David Cooperfield how he does all his tricks.

Me and a friend will often fire up a the decks with one handing the other a playlist in real time. It's fun. This poo poo's supposed to be fun. drat.

skull mask mcgee posted:

DJs who treat tracks like trade secrets are almost all terrible. If you want to have something nobody else has get into making your own edits or dig up rare grooves at the record store.

Uh, I'm amazed you would interpret my post like that. Like, seriously, what?

I'm talking about people that ask: "I'm playing at a <insert gig here>, can <community> give me music that I can play that will work"

e: There's obviously nothing wrong with either of the context you are saying

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 30, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah never give people entire racks of poo poo but throwing out a few known (or unknown) bombs is part of the fun. Every now and again I have DJ friends over and we run through poo poo we like back to back and swap tunes... It helps for those occasions when you back to back out, you have an idea for what kinda vibe they'll go for.

Scrub DJs need help not to be scrub DJs and people giving everything are dickholes. Advice should always be welcome though.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Me and my buddy just steal each other records. He has at this point absorbed almost my entire D&B collection.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Hey folks, I've been practicing spinning for about a month and a half now, and I did a little online house music show for my friends on Saturday for fun, but I think it turned out pretty good! I'd welcome some criticism from other DJs though, so if you feel like taking a listen it's the most recent upload on my mixlr showreel here: http://mixlr.com/dj-dropkick/showreel/

dropkickpikachu fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 1, 2017

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

I want to pickup DJing as a hobby and I don't have a laptop. Going to look at some DVJ-1000's (Identical to CDJ 1000 MK3) for pretty cheap tomorrow. There's also an XDJ-R1 for a little less.

Currently leaning towards the DVJ because of how standard it is, with its age, it's pretty much depreciated as much as it can, so if I sell them I'll likely break even. I also like the idea of the setup being modular / expandable.

The big advantage of the R1 is rekordbox, but whenever I try and do additional research, I'm coming up with a lot of people having various problems (all anticdotal but still).

Any suggestions one way or the other? Or anything to look out for on either?

Edit - DVJ's had a fairly sticky que button so I passed.

Back it up Terry fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 10, 2017

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I just picked up a (probably 35 year old) PROJECT/One turntable (not to be confused with Pro-Ject), this is a CEC re-brand. It's really nice though the anti-skate seems totally inop.

Anyway, I have a brand new WHLB cart and stylus installed and it skips like a motherfucker if you walk past it. I have set the tonearm weight on a miligram scale so I know I have that right. I'm using the default WHLB alignment but I'm about to set up a protractor and measure the angle. The tonearm appears to move freely and my sense of touch tells me it's all set right (for example, I set the weight to what I thought was 2 grams and it showed "2.00" on the scale, so I know what a tonearm is supposed to feel like).

Is there anything setup-wise I should be checking? This thing has a suspension system for the TT portion that has crumbled foam so I'll probably replace the foam eventually, but it doesn't seem like bad damping would be the cause of all this skipping. Any thoughts on possible causes?

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Sorry for posting a FB link, but I just stumbled into Excision: https://www.facebook.com/Excision/videos/10154141861202407/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED
Not quite my music flavor, but :aaa: with all that visual production

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Alfajor posted:

Sorry for posting a FB link, but I just stumbled into Excision: https://www.facebook.com/Excision/videos/10154141861202407/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

I just went to the milwaukee show, I'm not even a huge dubstep fan but his shows are fantastic, the mixing is always on point, and it's one of the best shows you can experience.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
His shambhala mixes from 2009-2013 are classic and full of songs that will make hoodie dudes all misty eyed with memories. Do not listen to any more recent ones, they're very very bad

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Alfajor posted:

Fenarisk posted:

I just went to the milwaukee show, I'm not even a huge dubstep fan but his shows are fantastic, the mixing is always on point, and it's one of the best shows you can experience.

He isn't mixing. It's a prerecorded set. All the big EDM guys do this when large scale visuals are involved.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

b0red posted:

He isn't mixing. It's a prerecorded set. All the big EDM guys do this when large scale visuals are involved.

Uh, this is not necessarily true and I wouldn't doubt that X's sets are legit - probably the same set from town to town, but not pre-recorded. From what I've seen of his booth, he seems to have some control over the visuals via a pair of controllers and a TV monitor, and even if he didn't the guys in the front-of-house booth probably control it on the fly.

I wish he'd kept his Executioner stage though. The Paradox looks kind of boring to me.

EDIT: this is the photo I was referring to, of the inside of the Executioner stage. Looks like the F1 controllers flanking his CDJs are setup to control Serato, not to trigger visual stuff - but who knows. In any case, two laptops/Serato boxes/controllers seems like a bit overkill for a pre-recorded set, especially considering all of it is hidden - not like a festival stage where the decks are in plain view (but the iPod playing the pre-recorded set is not). There are also videos of his production crew in the FOH booth clearly triggering visuals on the fly. I don't think X is one to play the pre-recorded set game.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 20, 2017

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Having stood 5 feet behind excision when he played at shamb last year he's definitely doing it all live

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

He's not in control of his video. It's all done by his VJ. He's probably not using pre-recorded mixes but is 100% playing the same set for every show. That show is so dependent on video content that you can't really play whatever you want.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

keevo posted:

He's not in control of his video. It's all done by his VJ. He's probably not using pre-recorded mixes but is 100% playing the same set for every show. That show is so dependent on video content that you can't really play whatever you want.

For what it's worth, someone in the comments of the video posted, "Shoutout to the VJ who is the real hero", and Excision replied saying he doesn't have a VJ and does it all himself. I'm sure a lot of it is pre-recorded, though, because it basically has to be for something like that. I think some artists, like deadmau5 and Feed Me (his Teeth production), have a lot of pre-recorded visuals for different tracks, but have the ability to mix the tracks however they want so that each show has some slight differences.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

So what is a good standalone VJ software?

also here is a sweet background vid for any chromakey biz you wanna do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA8_0qn-MdA

b0red fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 21, 2017

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

The one VJ I've known did some cool stuff with Arkaos and Madmapper.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Resolume is probably the most popular. Modul8, Arkaos, VDMX are also popular.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

thanks for the recs. i'll have to try to get a copy of one of them & map my mpc1000 into it with midi or some poo poo than pipe it into wirecast for chromakey goodness.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Bought a brand new WHLB cartridge 17 days ago. Yesterday I noticed that the cantilever had totally collapsed and the plastic guard was making contact with my records. This is on a playback-only turntable with a "release arm" or whatever that drops the needle for you.

Hoping B&H will do the right thing and replace it. I went ahead and ordered 2x new styluses, so I'm now at $230 in needles for the month of February. Ouch.

I've been using WHLB carts for a decade now and I've never seen this happen, the needle isn't bent at all, the suspension is just totally collapsed. Meanwhile the set that I have on my Techs can take all sorts of scratching and backspins with no issues.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Alfajor posted:

I was genuinely wondering when someone would play Scooter unironically in a set... :v:

I saw Excision when he came over to the UK back in 2010 or something, was a great set of just the dumbest sounding stuff, I had a smile on my face the entire show. M83 a few weeks later had more bass though amazingly. Same venue and system, obviously tweaked better.

MrSargent posted:

For what it's worth, someone in the comments of the video posted, "Shoutout to the VJ who is the real hero", and Excision replied saying he doesn't have a VJ and does it all himself. I'm sure a lot of it is pre-recorded, though, because it basically has to be for something like that. I think some artists, like deadmau5 and Feed Me (his Teeth production), have a lot of pre-recorded visuals for different tracks, but have the ability to mix the tracks however they want so that each show has some slight differences.

It'll all be time-linked to the tracks he's playing so each part of the animation is linked to the lead-in, drop, etc... Essentially cue points for the visuals. I imagine it could all easily go wrong if you miss a mix point but by now he's been playing the same genre so long it's not exactly difficult for him.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 27, 2017

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

The guy that made all of his graphics actually said that Excision mixes the video live by himself. Could be Serato (I'd be surprised if it was) but its hard to say whether its time coded without seeing his DJ setup.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
The music in that video above is the most generic brostep, seems like it would be a pretty boring show without those videos

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Had my first gig since moving to a new city. The crew I was with was filling in for another crew that couldn't make it that time. We ended up getting paid out & asked to do a monthly when a spot opens up in two months. Should be fun if it comes through

also this

Crime on a Dime posted:

The music in that video above is the most generic brostep, seems like it would be a pretty boring show without those videos

b0red fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 1, 2017

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Looks like Pioneer is serious about Rekordbox DVS, they just announced a $349 mixer with the license included. What's the cheapest Serato mixer, the Mixars Duo? That's a grand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bPY7nc7wpY

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

keevo posted:

I went to a Friday night and Saturday night show, both sets were drastically different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Fenarisk posted:

I went to a Friday night and Saturday night show, both sets were drastically different.

Please link to examples of drastic difference if you can. I don't mean the shows you mentioned unless you're ninja