Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I really want to watch all the commentaries but I also just want to watch all the episodes again from the start for like the 6th time. What audio track should I pick :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you've seen it enough times, you don't need to hear the audio of the show to know what's going on.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

An important question, does the commentary go into a hushed silence so we can hear The Monarch scream,"GIVE ME THE..... cuttlefish.... :sigh:"?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

If there's ever a lull in conversation they freak out and start doing character stuff. Silence in a commentary is anathema to them.

JD
Jan 11, 2003
They do most of the commentaries with the audio of the show off while they record. So they kinda barely pay attention.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Jerusalem posted:

An important question, does the commentary go into a hushed silence so we can hear The Monarch scream,"GIVE ME THE..... cuttlefish.... :sigh:"?
I ate some cuttlefish on a Tinder date earlier this week and it was very difficult to refrain from quoting that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

You're a stronger man than I :)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I would have been mumbling things like "I have cuttlefish."

But more to the point...

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I ate some cuttlefish on a Tinder date earlier this week and it was very difficult to refrain from quoting that.

Dack seeks a good time, but he's not a hedonist. He seeks love! He just doesn't know look. He looks under the profiles on Tinder and in the hot stem of a crack pipe when he should look to nature. Gentle aquatic mammals have all the answers!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

tarlibone posted:

Dack seeks a good time, but he's not a hedonist. He seeks love! He just doesn't know look. He looks under the profiles on Tinder and in the hot stem of a crack pipe when he should look to nature. Gentle aquatic mammals have all the answers!

For some reason the death of Dr. Dugong was the most upsetting death scene on the show to me. I think it's because he's just so harmless and so frightened when the Monarch murders him.

Also, I recently learned that he was Wide Whale's brother: http://venturebrothers.wikia.com/wiki/Douglas_Ong

I wonder if that's the reason Wide Whale has such a huge grudge against the Monarch.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

For some reason the death of Dr. Dugong was the most upsetting death scene on the show to me. I think it's because he's just so harmless and so frightened when the Monarch murders him.

Also, I recently learned that he was Wide Whale's brother: http://venturebrothers.wikia.com/wiki/Douglas_Ong

I wonder if that's the reason Wide Whale has such a huge grudge against the Monarch.

That was a theory I was floating around. I mean, it does make sense. Wide Wale is a mobster-type, and they're stereotypically depicted as prone to vendettas when members of their immediate family are attacked/killed.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

It also plays into the whole brother motif the show has.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I really need to go to Sketchfest one of these times.

https://twitter.com/danasnyder/status/822315728837623809

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

tarlibone posted:

That was a theory I was floating around. I mean, it does make sense. Wide Wale is a mobster-type, and they're stereotypically depicted as prone to vendettas when members of their immediate family are attacked/killed.

Yeah I imagine that when Wale reveals this fact to The Monarch is going to be a hell of a scene(and probably give us a good look at just how physically potent of a villain he is)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah I imagine that when Wale reveals this fact to The Monarch is going to be a hell of a scene(and probably give us a good look at just how physically potent of a villain he is)

I imagine that reveal will come mere seconds before Wide Whale is killed by an unforeseen hazard.

That's how things work on this show.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Wide Wale: You killed my brother, Dr. Doug Ong!

Monarch: Eh, who?

edit: Happy?

Dazerbeams fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 20, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's Wide Wale, a type of corduroy which is what Wide Wale wears.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

JethroMcB posted:

I imagine that reveal will come mere seconds before Wide Whale is killed by an unforeseen hazard.

That's how things work on this show.

Yeah I know they often do that, this would be one of those times where it would be better to play things more straight though

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
which of the guys is it that has an encyclopedic knowledge of various kinds of fabrics?

Osiris Cultist: Ooohhh. Fill the Jackal’s head with OIL. Now it makes sense. At first I thought you said scalding hot voile.
Osiris High Priest: Wh-What the hell is voile?
Osiris Cultist: It’s a soft, sheer fabric. I warmed some up in the dryer.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

uber_stoat posted:

which of the guys is it that has an encyclopedic knowledge of various kinds of fabrics?

Osiris Cultist: Ooohhh. Fill the Jackal’s head with OIL. Now it makes sense. At first I thought you said scalding hot voile.
Osiris High Priest: Wh-What the hell is voile?
Osiris Cultist: It’s a soft, sheer fabric. I warmed some up in the dryer.

I CAN'T EVEN STAND TO LOOK AT YOU!

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

It's Doc. I think he talks about it in the commentary for that episode.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Cojawfee posted:

It's Wide Wale, a type of corduroy which is what Wide Wale wears.

Yeah, his loud corduroy is why he makes ocean sounds when he moves.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
If you don't like puns you're watching the wrong show.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

grilldos posted:

If you don't like puns you're watching the wrong show.

Truth.

I mean, in the commentary over a few seasons and in various conventions, they admit at least a few times that most of their villains are top-down creations that start with puns.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jet Jaguar posted:

I really need to go to Sketchfest one of these times.

https://twitter.com/danasnyder/status/822315728837623809

There's still tickets for this BTW.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

tarlibone posted:

Truth.

I mean, in the commentary over a few seasons and in various conventions, they admit at least a few times that most of their villains are top-down creations that start with puns.

BRRRRRRICK FROG!

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

In a show full of great puns and names, Wide Wale is maybe the best.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Wide Wale is great because of how obscure it is, but Phantom Limb is still supreme.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
That's not really a pun though. Sort of? I mean I guess it is. But it is very good.

grilldos fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 21, 2017

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Phantom Limb isn't really much of a pun, it's just such a perfectly supervillainous name that it boggles the mind that no one thought to use it until 2003.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

I'd say it's as much of a pun as wide wale.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

TK-42-1 posted:

I'd say it's as much of a pun as wide wale.

Yeah, phantom limb is both where an amputee feels a limb that isn't there, and a guy with invisible limbs.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Well Manicured Man posted:

Phantom Limb isn't really much of a pun, it's just such a perfectly supervillainous name that it boggles the mind that no one thought to use it until 2003.
It is definitely a pun, yes, just one that is much more obvious than Brick Frogs. I think only people who are into construction could get that one, right?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah, phantom limb is both where an amputee feels a limb that isn't there, and a guy with invisible limbs.

And he dresses kind of like The Phantom.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well Manicured Man posted:

This exactly. The guys can go to their graves knowing they executed the most perfect of all gag supervillain concepts and made it look stupefyingly easy.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
A pun needs wordplay - a homophone or something. Most of the villain names aren't puns by themselves, but pairing them with an extremely literal character design makes it into a kind of visual pun.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

^ White Noise is near the top of the heap of those for me.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Data Graham posted:

^ White Noise is near the top of the heap of those for me.

Oh I was white, once, before my tragic tv repair accident.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

X_Toad posted:

It is definitely a pun, yes, just one that is much more obvious than Brick Frogs. I think only people who are into construction could get that one, right?
I will freely admit I didn't know Brick Frog was a pun until a post here mentioned it. I just assumed he was a man in a frog suit with a brick and that was the entirety of the joke.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I will freely admit I didn't know Brick Frog was a pun until a post here mentioned it. I just assumed he was a man in a frog suit with a brick and that was the entirety of the joke.

It's funny on a lot of levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I still think Warsaw Gecko is their best pun name