Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I don't know if she has to leave to the north actually, I assumed any direction would work. If it's gotta be north, booking it up the 12 column to start should work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Ardlen posted:

Doesn't Hanako have to withdraw out the north edge of the battlefield?

She knows these glaciers better than anyone. Surely there's a crevasse or the like she can slip into off to the west as well.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I mean leaving the map counts as being mission killed normally, despite whatever direction you do it in. I assume escaping off any side works, since it isn't specified.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Artificer posted:

I mean leaving the map counts as being mission killed normally, despite whatever direction you do it in. I assume escaping off any side works, since it isn't specified.

Retreating out of the deployment zone is usually fine, the deployment zones were the north and south map edges.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hmm. On one hand, if Hanako makes it out on her own she continues her crusade, which is cool. On the other hand, if she doesn't make it out, maybe she gets taken as a bondswoman, which would marginally increase the chances of us seeing her again in the future!

So hey, I'd say play it straight players. If you can whack that nearly intact Black Lanner before Hanako escapes, that's the way it goes. Maybe we'll see her again as a bondswoman some day. if she gets away fair and square, then that's cool too. The legend of the Glacier Dragon continues!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Well Hanako has her job simple. Make a beeline for the exit immediately.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Assuming Hakano has impressed them enough to get taken as a bondsman (bondswoman?) and get put back on the field to fight more Widowmakers, I'm pretty okay with either outcome.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
If the Goliath Scorpions take this area, I wouldn't put it past them to spin off Rasalhague and restore them to independence, just to spite the Widowmakers. "We respect these Inner Sphere guys more than you Widowmaker trash"

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Hanako Tjäder

:japan::respek::sweden:
That's certainly not a name I expected to see.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's exceedingly Rasalhague, yes.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Now's the perfect time to bet it all on the Black Lanner taking the whole Goonforce down single-handed! C'mon, missileboat medium, it's just seven mechs plus elementals! You can do it!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Dolash posted:

Now's the perfect time to bet it all on the Black Lanner taking the whole Goonforce down single-handed! C'mon, missileboat medium, it's just seven mechs plus elementals! You can do it!

Mechwarrior Ath in his Kraken 3 couldn't do it. :qq: The Black Lanner has no chance.

edit: Gotta say goonstar's failure to defend the MFBs still stings a little. I wonder if any other players who lost their missions feel similarly? I had an absolute blast but MAN. I wish my showing was better. :v:

Artificer fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 19, 2017

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Run on your little grand dragon legs as fast as you can! You've got to free Rasalhague!

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Artificer posted:

Mechwarrior Ath in his Kraken 3 couldn't do it. :qq: The Black Lanner has no chance.

edit: Gotta say goonstar's failure to defend the MFBs still stings a little. I wonder if any other players who lost their missions feel similarly? I had an absolute blast but MAN. I wish my showing was better. :v:

I had a great time, even if I did get DFA'd at the end. I think that I betrayed the other team a bit too early and my positioning was bad, but what can you do? It was amazing. Critting the ammo on a rommel was probably the highlight for me (other than getting DFA'd).

If I had it to do over again I would probably try to line myself up for some sweet backshots on the betrayal turn.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Octatonic posted:

Run on your little grand dragon legs as fast as you can! You've got to free Rasalhague!

Yes absolutely. RUN FOR THE HILLS. Not over ice though!!!

Olothreutes posted:

I had a great time, even if I did get DFA'd at the end. I think that I betrayed the other team a bit too early and my positioning was bad, but what can you do? It was amazing. Critting the ammo on a rommel was probably the highlight for me (other than getting DFA'd).

If I had it to do over again I would probably try to line myself up for some sweet backshots on the betrayal turn.

I would have picked a better spawn location. The Vapor Eagle went down earlier than expected, and if the spawn chance showed up again I would recommend pilots near even vaguely at-risk mechs to prepare to die facing good spawn directions immediately. Still, thanks to PoptartsNinja for running the mission. It was hella awesome and also

I partially blame him for my current fondness for MWO.

edit: eyyyy we took out more mechs than we piloted in that scenario! I think they won on the weight of mechs lost and the objective but still.

Hopefully Ath gets a happy ending of some sort. I like the guy, angry as he is.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 19, 2017

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Cooked Auto posted:

That's certainly not a name I expected to see.

I really hope she makes it off the glacier before you mop up the last clanner.

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011
As much as I'd like to see that happen, I cannot knowingly allow a Widowmaker to live an extra 10 seconds. Still, we'll be taking pretty marginal shots since I'm aiming for 10s on my iHLLs and 8s on my gauss and Centurium will be hitting on 9s on his ER ATMs if he goes for it.

If we get lucky, we pop that Black Lanner this turn. Then we can leave and not care about the insurgent or offer the insurgent a chance to join up with the big boys.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Artificer posted:

So, what, there's literally 1 remaining OpFor unit operational left? And the pilot only has a half of a shot left for his LRMs?

Ammo is counted not by individual missiles, but rather by how many full reloads a weapon has remaining. So he doesn't have only 10 missile left, but rather ten full 20-missile volleys of missiles left. It'd be like saying you have four extra clips for your assault rifle on your belt, as opposed to having four shots left.

This is also why smaller missile racks have more ammo. The number of missiles in the bin doesn't change, but an LRM shooting 20 of those missiles is going to go through that bin four times as fast as an LRM that only shoots 5 missiles at a time.

That might be a fun idea for a variant LRM/SRM system, where you can choose how many missiles out of your rack to fire off on any given shot, so you can use light volleys when your chances to hit aren't good, and heavier volleys once you have a clear shot. Would be an absolute nightmare to keep track of ammo though.

Rorahusky fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 19, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If our Rassalhaugian friend is already fleeing for the border (rather than standing and fighting, or moving towards them) by the time the last Widowmaker goes down, the Scorpions likely will not pursue. Afterall, what honor is there in backshooting a freebirth as they flee? You prove your Clan superiority by letting them live!

I don't think PTN is going to make a few hexes of movement (denied by a soft turn limit) the difference between "the players actually run down and murder the other player character despite that not being their intent" and "she gets away 100% scot free."

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Rorahusky posted:

That might be a fun idea for a variant LRM/SRM system, where you can choose how many missiles out of your rack to fire off on any given shot, so you can use light volleys when your chances to hit aren't good, and heavier volleys once you have a clear shot. Would be an absolute nightmare to keep track of ammo though.

I saw an idea long ago where this idea was applied to the auto-cannon. The V/AC, or Variable Autocannon, could downfire as a lighter AC - a V/AC-10 could fire as an AC-5 to extend their ammo, as well as getting better accuracy at longer ranges. Ammo counts was indeed a problem. This improvement could be applied to the Light Autocannon, and specialty ammo could still be used.

Balancing it and trying to divine a BV for it was unresolved by the time the project died.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Artificer posted:

I would have picked a better spawn location. The Vapor Eagle went down earlier than expected, and if the spawn chance showed up again I would recommend pilots near even vaguely at-risk mechs to prepare to die facing good spawn directions immediately. Still, thanks to PoptartsNinja for running the mission. It was hella awesome and also

In hindsight, I should've let you guys pick where you'd show up.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

berryjon posted:

I saw an idea long ago where this idea was applied to the auto-cannon. The V/AC, or Variable Autocannon, could downfire as a lighter AC - a V/AC-10 could fire as an AC-5 to extend their ammo, as well as getting better accuracy at longer ranges. Ammo counts was indeed a problem. This improvement could be applied to the Light Autocannon, and specialty ammo could still be used.

Balancing it and trying to divine a BV for it was unresolved by the time the project died.

This seems like the type of weapon a videogame could do (ammo tracking by individual round instead of per fixed salvo size is easy for a computer, not so much for an overworked human GM) but would be a total nightmare for TT.

Variable fire-rate missile launchers or autocannon could be pretty interesting to play with. Might work best in a game where there's just one player (like a Mechwarrior not made by PGI) or else you run into the problem of nerds finding a way to min/max a full lance of variable weapons so they're obnoxiously powerful at all ranges with no downsides. I mean, it's gonna happen. :v:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Fire with two ammo to do the alternate mode. Isn't that how ultras already work?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Chronojam posted:

Fire with two ammo to do the alternate mode. Isn't that how ultras already work?

This is the opposite of that though - instead of firing more rounds at once, it's fewer for accuracy and ammo conservation. Which means fractions, which means hell.

Now if it were fixed to exactly "1/2 ammo only" -- ok, maybe. Tracking ammo in halves is possible, I guess. But what if you have an AC/20 you want to downfire as an AC/5, now you're in 0.25 increments and what about that LRM-20 being fired as a -4 or -6 launcher and :shepface:

just ask anyone who runs this game if they want to track ammo in fractional increments, especially over a campaign where you have to track ammo over multiple engagements and resupplies. Unless you're running the campaign in Megamek, I sure wouldn't want to.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 19, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Psion posted:

This is the opposite of that though - instead of firing more rounds at once, it's fewer for accuracy and ammo conservation. Which means fractions, which means hell.

Now if it were fixed to exactly "1/2 ammo only" -- ok, maybe. Tracking ammo in halves is possible, I guess. But what if you have an AC/20 you want to downfire as an AC/5, now you're in 0.25 increments and what about that LRM-20 being fired as a -4 or -6 launcher and :shepface:

just ask anyone who runs this game if they want to track ammo in fractional increments, especially over a campaign where you have to track ammo over multiple engagements and resupplies. Unless you're running the campaign in Megamek, I sure wouldn't want to.

Instead of making it fractional, you just make your heavier fire modes cost more and use the lowest as default The lowest mode costs 1 ammo. Medium costs 2, heavy costs 3. No fractions, balance damage as needed. Mostly works in a PTN style "rounds of ammo" style counter, though.

Tracking individual rounds of ammo is always a bad idea for tabletop, this doesn't make it a worse idea it just points out why it's terrible to start with.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

vorebane posted:

I don't know if she has to leave to the north actually, I assumed any direction would work. If it's gotta be north, booking it up the 12 column to start should work.

Straight north is fastest and can be done with no movement to spare in two rounds with MASC on the second.

9 mp will take Hanako to the hole, then a 12-point MASC will take her off the map by 1 mp.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Dolash posted:

This calls for a punch and kick circle, for that extra added humiliation of trapping an enemy mech in a ring.
Bonus points if you can figure out how to move it clockwise in a circle so you get move mods and he doesn't.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

(P.S. you can feel free to ignore this request because no one gets to tell you how to play, I'm just sayin', Hanako Tjäder is awesome and I want to see them continue to be awesome)

I'd like to see the supersoaker yuki onna get away as well. Remember this is about humiliation! now toy with the last enemy!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Oh God I hope MASC doesn't fail her.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

I am going to nove her up the 12 line no masc this turn but there will be masc next turn

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Zaodai posted:

Instead of making it fractional, you just make your heavier fire modes cost more and use the lowest as default The lowest mode costs 1 ammo. Medium costs 2, heavy costs 3. No fractions, balance damage as needed. Mostly works in a PTN style "rounds of ammo" style counter, though.

Tracking individual rounds of ammo is always a bad idea for tabletop, this doesn't make it a worse idea it just points out why it's terrible to start with.

Sure, that's another approach, but then you have weirdness like an AC/20 with 20 rounds and a VAC/20 with 60, despite both of them being 20 rounds of AC/20 fire, and then what's an Ultra? I think your method is certainly a better approach than fractions or per-round counting for a person running a game, but :shrug:

Now the obvious endgame here is a Clan UVAC/20 which can select ultra mode and act as an AC/5, 10, or 20 and...

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 19, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Psion posted:

Sure, that's another approach, but then you have weirdness like an AC/20 with 20 rounds and a VAC/20 with 60, despite both of them being 20 rounds of AC/20 fire, and then what's an Ultra? I think your method is certainly a better approach than fractions or per-round counting for a person running a game, but :shrug:

Now the obvious endgame here is a Clan UVAC/20 which can select ultra mode and act as an AC/5, 10, or 20 and...

Well, in my fictional system, it's not a VAC 20. It's a VAC5, or a Light VAC, or something. You're not underpowering your AC20, you're packing an AC5 or whatever that has the ability to be overclocked to an AC20 if you really need to.

It really would be something that if you were designing a system you would use to replace Ultra ACs, or have them with different benefits and risks.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

Well, in my fictional system, it's not a VAC 20. It's a VAC5, or a Light VAC, or something. You're not underpowering your AC20, you're packing an AC5 or whatever that has the ability to be overclocked to an AC20 if you really need to.

It really would be something that if you were designing a system you would use to replace Ultra ACs, or have them with different benefits and risks.

My 'fix' for autocannons is reversing them and fixing the damage across all types. The lighter the autocannon the shorter the range, and all do 15 damage a pop, with the anti-autocannon armor dropping that damage down to 10.

You'd need some way to differentiate Gauss Rifles but since they're nearly always superior to Autocannons as-is I don't see that too big a downside. Giving the Gauss rifle HGR rules where the damage scales 10-15-20 with range would be my preference and turn the Gauss Rifle into the preferred close combat gun while Autocannons remain scary all-rounders.

It'd also make Urbies pretty terrifying mobile gun emplacements if they could actually attack targets at respectable ranges. They'd basically be mobile trench pillboxes rather than derpy "city fighters" that are poo poo at their supposed specialty.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

I feel like that would make AC/2s a terrifyingly efficient close combat weapon, unless you punched up the ac2 weight seriously. More things that headcap is probably a feature for you. :P

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

vorebane posted:

I feel like that would make AC/2s a terrifyingly efficient close combat weapon, unless you punched up the ac2 weight seriously. More things that headcap is probably a feature for you. :P

I feel that may be preferable to its current status of "completely useless." Range brackets are still a thing so a light autocannon would only be decent on a fast ambusher but it would actually have a use, unlike now.

I'm not a game designer, admittedly.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

ac2s are nice for AA work, though, as niche as it is. I would play such a proposed AC2 boat in MWO. It would be fun.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
They're really not. AC/2s just trick you into thinking they're AA weapons by having good range. The only time AC/2s are useful against fighters is when they're carried by fighters, in space, firing at warships (A squadron of fighters with a single AC/2 bay is doing a 12 standard damage hit which rounds to 1 capital damage at extreme range) or for mildly annoying the enemy's missile fighters at ranges where they can't instantly retaliate.

AC/2s are a bad ground-based anti-aircraft weapon because they can't force a threshhold crit and have such low damage they can't force a control roll even if you're shooting at the flying Locust equivalent. When a Thrush can laugh off anything a Partisan can throw its way you know you've built total garbage. If you're on the ground you're better off shooting fighters with any other weapon at all. If my only option were 'fire an AC/2 at a fighter' or 'try to hit it with a flying dropkick' I'd go for the dropkick. It would accomplish just as much but at least the dropkick would turn into a funny story back at the barracks.

The only thing a `Mech-mounted AC/2 is "good" at is shooting unarmored civilian vehicles from long ranges and occasionally being a source of "I got my Atlas crit-killed by an AC/2" anecdotes.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 20, 2017

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

PoptartsNinja posted:

If my only option were 'fire an AC/2 at a fighter' or 'try to hit it with a flying dropkick' I'd go for the dropkick.

Weeeellll..... this is the thread that gave us the Flying Elbow Drop, so the possibility of dropkicking a fighter is definitely non-zero.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

MWLL has the best implementation of AC/2s, and especially Ultra AC/2s, ever.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

berryjon posted:

Weeeellll..... this is the thread that gave us the Flying Elbow Drop, so the possibility of dropkicking a fighter is definitely non-zero.

I think the Screamer would be best at it. Maybe give it vibrofeet.

Ah I thought AC2s added up to a piloting test for some reason, then.

edit: well it doesn't have any robot fights yet, but it is a lot of words. http://dumptext.com/hgO4ExUa

vorebane fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jan 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Tythas posted:

I am going to nove her up the 12 line no masc this turn but there will be masc next turn

I think the destroyed mechs will slow you down though, making it 1 more expensive than the 13 line?

• Locked thread