Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

timp posted:

I'm not saying that a different game wouldn't be more fun, but they will never do that. It's way too hard of a sell.

That and people seem to be confused about the point of the show. The point is to have fun and tell a good story. They don't care about playing the game well. Any switch to another system would mean they've become too concerned with playing 'correctly', and then it would be bogged down with them getting used to new rules. They've found a groove where they just barely play the surface level rules of D&D and it works exactly how they need it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Varam posted:

That's a really backwards argument. D&D is hardly ideal for the game that they run and they make it work just fine -- swapping to an even friendlier system is not necessary, but it would hardly be a disaster either.

I agree, but they play it anyways because it is the D&D. Concessions are made because, well, that's-how-you-play this game. Explaining that, no, they're not playing the D&D that you've heard of before, but a different obscure tabletop game instead, would not play the way that the current podcast plays.

I'm saying that I don't think it matters if a different game is actually better to listen to, or easier to play. They're playing D&D because it's D&D. Your grandma has heard of Dungeons and Dragons. A second playthrough may afford them some wiggle room with editions/rules, but like I said, I think it's rather unlikely.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

I'd appreciate examples of how the podcast could improve by switching systems. I don't know enough about these systems to visualize/imagine the difference.

Season 2 of friends at the table, they switched from Mechnoir (which is based on a great system, just not one that lends itself well to fast-paced podcast storytelling) to The Sprawl.

Oh i thought you were asking for an example of a podcast that improved by switching systems. Basically, D&D 5 is super unbalanced and lovely, and also supports lovely people. There are other systems out there designed to be much more mechanically lightweight and straitforward, while encouraging the players to contribute to the story as much as the DM does. Something like Fiasco, a good example of play being the Giant Beastcast's 2015 Christmas Special episode.

timp posted:

I agree, but they play it anyways because it is the D&D. Concessions are made because, well, that's-how-you-play this game. Explaining that, no, they're not playing the D&D that you've heard of before, but a different obscure tabletop game instead, would not play the way that the current podcast plays.

I'm saying that I don't think it matters if a different game is actually better to listen to, or easier to play. They're playing D&D because it's D&D. Your grandma has heard of Dungeons and Dragons. A second playthrough may afford them some wiggle room with editions/rules, but like I said, I think it's rather unlikely.

this is loving awful reasoning, which is why it wouldn't surprise me if it's the reasoning griffin uses

Alaois fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 20, 2017

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
what is your beef with griffin for real?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

They could literally be playing no real game at all and just randomly rolling dice and I doubt it would matter substantially to the majority of their listeners who only really are there for the fun characters, interesting story, and hilarious banter between Tres Horny Boys. Caring about the actual mechanics runs completely counter to the entire aesthetic they've constructed.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

what is your beef with griffin for real?

For real? I used to think he was great, but over time I started getting annoyed at the lingo. It feels so incredibly forced and not natural at all. It put me off entirely.

Like seriously, try listening to the Rose Buddies Max Fun commercial, and think about what it sounds like to someone who isn't ingrained in it already.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Alaois posted:

For real? I used to think he was great, but over time I started getting annoyed at the lingo. It feels so incredibly forced and not natural at all. It put me off entirely.

Not this exactly, but I ended up having to stop listening to mbmbam because I start getting annoyed when I felt they'd play up their reactions too much. I understand it's good showmanship, but sometimes it just feels fake

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I am absolutely sure that they will never switch from DnD 5e except probably when they switch to DnD 6e. That being said, boy it sure would be nice if Magnus had abilities besides Hit Very Hard, Block Attack, and Hit Very Hard Again.

Alaois posted:

Like seriously, try listening to the Rose Buddies Max Fun commercial, and think about what it sounds like to someone who isn't ingrained in it already.

That's pretty reasonable. I certainly get annoyed when people tell inside jokes that I'm not in on, and that feeling sometimes doesn't go away when I am in on it. However, not liking the way a guy talks is (imo) not a justification for saying something like...

Alaois posted:

this is loving awful reasoning, which is why it wouldn't surprise me if it's the reasoning griffin uses

... which is a straight up insult. Why so rude?

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

ImPureAwesome posted:

Not this exactly, but I ended up having to stop listening to mbmbam because I start getting annoyed when I felt they'd play up their reactions too much. I understand it's good showmanship, but sometimes it just feels fake

I love the mcelboys and all these darn products they make but I can't listen to the Final Yahoo because when they fake laughing it hurts me.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ariong posted:

I am absolutely sure that they will never switch from DnD 5e except probably when they switch to DnD 6e. That being said, boy it sure would be nice if Magnus had abilities besides Hit Very Hard, Block Attack, and Hit Very Hard Again.

That's pretty reasonable. I certainly get annoyed when people tell inside jokes that I'm not in on, and that feeling sometimes doesn't go away when I am in on it. However, not liking the way a guy talks is (imo) not a justification for saying something like...

... which is a straight up insult. Why so rude?

I'm sorry, I'm a rude person. That's a legitimate apology by the way, not a "heh, sorry you don't like me being an rear end in a top hat :smug:" kind of thing. I really have to try to stop.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't blame Griffin for shutting Travis down in TAZ because everytime he asks for an action Travis gives him like a five paragraph essay with about twenty different actions his character is going to take.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I swear this exact same argument has happened like three times in this thread. It always ends with people who keep repeating how much better Dungeon World is than D&D, and Alaois yelling about role play mechanics and how much he hates the shows/the McElroys.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

I swear this exact same argument has happened like three times in this thread. It always ends with people who keep repeating how much better Dungeon World is than D&D, and Alaois yelling about role play mechanics and how much he hates the shows/the McElroys.

I like Justin

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Alaois posted:

I'm sorry, I'm a rude person. That's a legitimate apology by the way, not a "heh, sorry you don't like me being an rear end in a top hat :smug:" kind of thing. I really have to try to stop.

It's cool. I'm really happy that people are expressing Negative McElroy Opinions without it becoming a weird shitstorm of white knights and straw men. Super chill thread. :)

EDIT: welp

greatn posted:

I don't blame Griffin for shutting Travis down in TAZ because everytime he asks for an action Travis gives him like a five paragraph essay with about twenty different actions his character is going to take.

That's a good point, but on the other hand, it is really funny when Travis tricks Griffin into letting him do something, and then does something insane. It's almost like he's compensating for usually being the boring one by cranking it up to eleven whenever he does get the chance to do something cool.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I really doubt in any way that the brothers McElroy are faking their laughter on the podcast and I really don't know why people would think that

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Again, I am going to approach this from a position of complete honesty, the fact that they are using and seem committed to continue using D&D 5e has always and will always leave a bad taste in my mouth because of the people who were involved in the making of D&D 5e, even when I was a fan and regular listener of the Adventure Zone.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
everyone shut up about all that nerd poo poo* because someone on the Facebook group posted this

https://soundcloud.com/shawlsmusic/thunderwall

* I love TAZ but I'm like literally 3 or 4 arcs behind because it requires me to pay so much closer attention than most podcasts and I never feel like I have the effort to listen :smith:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I think a better system than 5e would probably result in a better end product but TAZ is pretty good as it is so v0v

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Alaois posted:

Again, I am going to approach this from a position of complete honesty, the fact that they are using and seem committed to continue using D&D 5e has always and will always leave a bad taste in my mouth because of the people who were involved in the making of D&D 5e, even when I was a fan and regular listener of the Adventure Zone.

I would be surprised if they were even aware of the drama behind the scenes of D&D 5e but even if they found out now I'd doubt they'd switch until the end of the campaign given how close to the finish we are.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

abraham linksys posted:

everyone shut up about all that nerd poo poo* because someone on the Facebook group posted this

https://soundcloud.com/shawlsmusic/thunderwall

* I love TAZ but I'm like literally 3 or 4 arcs behind because it requires me to pay so much closer attention than most podcasts and I never feel like I have the effort to listen :smith:

LMFAO indeed!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Alaois posted:

I like Justin

From the sounds of it they already have to put up with a lot of D&D purists every episode when the fudge something (for instance, casting times) so why the gently caress would they want to lean into rules even more by completely changing the rules of the entire game? If anything, they clearly want people to care less about the rules, and ironically enough, I think Justin is the biggest advocate of that.

In other news, I had a night off tonight and in addition to regular screwing around, I was occasionally refreshing the Polygon channel hoping for some more Car Boys. Nothing yet... :(

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Good news!

https://twitter.com/Babylonian/status/822307157714485250

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Alaois posted:

That dndrama is super loving gross

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

flatluigi posted:

I would be surprised if they were even aware of the drama behind the scenes of D&D 5e

Well, two of them do write about games for a living. Granted it's video games, but I'd say they're a lot more likely than the average D&D player to know about it.

Anyways, entirely because of this show I'm about to buy the intro kit Griffin used for the first adventure and DM it for my friends, having only played a few sessions of any tabletop roleplaying game before (to my friends' zero sessions). I'm sure some other edition is better in a bunch of nerd ways that I don't care about and I'm sure we'll all gently caress stuff up rules-wise despite our best efforts, and I don't really care much, because the reason I want to play it is the reason I like listening to the show: because it creates a structure for hilarious and dramatic make-em-ups with people I like. (And because I might get to kill my friends horribly.)

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

timp posted:

From the sounds of it they already have to put up with a lot of D&D purists every episode when the fudge something (for instance, casting times) so why the gently caress would they want to lean into rules even more by completely changing the rules of the entire game? If anything, they clearly want people to care less about the rules, and ironically enough, I think Justin is the biggest advocate of that.

Because if the rules are simpler, there will be less to memorize and they won't mess them up, meaning they're more free to do whatever they want. Even if that weren't the case there's no reason they couldn't play it fast and loose on any other system. You're arguing for sticking with D&D rules by saying D&D rules are bad.

I'm not saying they should change, cause I don't think it matters the much either way, but D&D is clearly hampering the podcast even with a loose play style.

mikeycp posted:

That dndrama is super loving gross

Got a link? I'm not aware of the drama.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

flatluigi posted:

I really doubt in any way that the brothers McElroy are faking their laughter on the podcast and I really don't know why people would think that

Obviously I don't know for sure and I guess it's subjective, but it definitely comes across that way to me occasionally. Not every goof can be gold, but sometimes I feel they overdue trying to make it feel like it is. Again, it's good showmanship in that it's an implicit 'yes, and', keeps the shows energy up, and supports each other, and stuff like that, and don't blame them, but it felt a little much and took a break from the show

ImPureAwesome fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 20, 2017

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

da beeper king BABY posted:

Got a link? I'm not aware of the drama.

I am currently waiting on a link to a blog post that goes into detail about everything but the gist is D&D 5e has special consultancy credits for Zak Sabbath aka Zak S and a guy named TheRPGPundit, both of whom are massive serial abusers of anybody who they consider to be "the wrong kind of gamer" and Zak S especially has a long history of doxxing and stalking/harassing trans people out of the hobby.

When confronted with this, the project lead/lead designer of 5e, Mike Mearls, went on Google+ and privately assured the two that nothing would happen and that he has their back.

e: got the link http://failforward.co.uk/post/93348768153/how-dungeons-and-dragons-is-endorsing-the-darkest

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
you guys talking about those guys consulting for 5e's design that were horrifically sexist and gross assholes?

you know "those" type of nerds

wedgie all of them imo

edit: oh beaten

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

That reminds me of the sort of screenshot I would send to a boss as proof that I TOTALLY started uploading this video on Thursday...........

(still not up :( )

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
There she is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uEGQnYCdg8

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

showbiz_liz posted:

Well, two of them do write about games for a living. Granted it's video games, but I'd say they're a lot more likely than the average D&D player to know about it.

Anyways, entirely because of this show I'm about to buy the intro kit Griffin used for the first adventure and DM it for my friends, having only played a few sessions of any tabletop roleplaying game before (to my friends' zero sessions). I'm sure some other edition is better in a bunch of nerd ways that I don't care about and I'm sure we'll all gently caress stuff up rules-wise despite our best efforts, and I don't really care much, because the reason I want to play it is the reason I like listening to the show: because it creates a structure for hilarious and dramatic make-em-ups with people I like. (And because I might get to kill my friends horribly.)

Different editions of D&D are good at doing different things, though 5e is far and away the best for a beginning group. The further back in time you go, the more D&D's strength moves away from "facilitates an easy to learn game and speedy experience" and moves towards "is the tabletop gaming equivalent of doing whippets"

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

beamng.drive is the best game ever made

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
around 18:30 looks like some kind of beautiful surrealistic oil panting

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

inthesto posted:

Different editions of D&D are good at doing different things, though 5e is far and away the best for a beginning group. The further back in time you go, the more D&D's strength moves away from "facilitates an easy to learn game and speedy experience" and moves towards "is the tabletop gaming equivalent of doing whippets"

Basic's better at that because it takes like 10 minutes to roll a character as opposed to the nightmare of pointless choices that is Post 2E character creation.

But basics a really bad game unless you wanna play specifically D&D but nethack where you die a lot and to basically everything.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
My first game of D&D I rolled a 1 for my hit points and died to the first enemy before I could act. That's just good old fashioned fun.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Alaois posted:

Try listening to literally any MaxFun ad, they're all complete garbage

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ba da ba ba ba~ It's time for the thread to gripe about MaxFun ads again~

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Oh my god, the carpet has an Instagram

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

greatn posted:

My feeling on it, based on tabletop experience, is that because of a choice Travis made early as a beginner on he is stuck playing a low engagement class (i.e. "Hit Very Hard, Block Attack, and Hit Very Hard Again") when he's now ready to play something with higher engagement and more options. He has to make a 5 paragraph essay to get to do what he finds entertaining and fun because (Griffin's interpretation of) what a fighter can legitimately do in this system forces him to do that to make his case.

Meanwhile, Justin (and occasionally Clint) get to throw out spells they COULD have and Griffin's like "you probably didn't have that ready but it would be fun to let you do it so go ahead". He rarely shuts spellcasters down because spells/effects make for good radio and he can twist them to convey information he wants to get out there (via blink, or detect magic, etc). That's cool for them but I feel bad for Travis. A happy (podcast) player is more likely to be a more entertaining one, after all.

If the campaign ends and they'd consider a new system, I'd say just pick literally anything else that puts all the players on more or less equal footing, now that they all have experience. Ideally, a system that encourages cinematic actions/stunting since that's what they obviously like, and listeners seem to as well. As an off-the-cuff pull of a system I've read but not played, Feng Shui could be loads of fun for them. Anything that lets someone like Travis approach things as "I put ranks in Being Batman, so I'm gonna Be Batman at this problem in the following way..." would be an improvement, to my mind.

I had mentioned a supers campaign earlier upthread because I think it's something a lot of people might have an easier time with running narratively, and because the genre intrinsically allows for shifting/smudging character classes/concepts (Spiderman gets the Venom suit for this arc, etc.) and it's also oriented around having discrete plot arcs which makes for good radio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Keep it D&D but make it all wizards. Wizard quest.