Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I'm really glad they managed to work a decent moral dilemma involving a monster you couldn't actually communicate with. Killing dopplers or succubi was generally just stupid and evil, but I could really go either way on the leshen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dr Cheeto posted:

I'm really glad they managed to work a decent moral dilemma involving a monster you couldn't actually communicate with. Killing dopplers or succubi was generally just stupid and evil, but I could really go either way on the leshen.

Just kill the villagers.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Dali Parton posted:

Newish to the game, have question/mild complaint. Do I eventually go back to killing monsters once I find Ciri or that one Dandelion dude? I'm in that huge city up north and I'm already quite tired of doing random gangster stuff for dickhead gang leaders. I had a TON of fun with the Bloody Baron quest line and the Three Crones thing was simultaneously disgusting and really cool.. I just wanna go back into the wilderness and keep exposing dens of ancient evil outside of villages. Yeah I know there's contracts, but those are seemingly pretty light on story and lore. I really want more of the three crones kinda stuff.

Yes, Velen and Skellige are wide open zones with spotted villages and a lot more of the kind of stuff you seem to enjoy. Novigrad is a big change of pace, like you said it's mostly running around chatting with dudes and there isn't much combat or exploration.

What level are you? iirc you can safely start Skellige around level 12-15 or so.

I always recommend breaking Novigrad up with some questing in Skellige and Velen if you're not feeling the Novigrad stuff. You can leave and come back and it won't break anything or fail any quests.

The Bloody Baron quest line is indeed one of the highest points of the game, there are a few more parts in the base game that are equally awesome but you don't get anything similar until Hearts of Stone.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The game warns you multiple times with big obvious pop-ups when you're about to Do The Thing That Might Break Your Sidequests and you should feel free to skip around and change the scenery if it's dragging on for you.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Dr Cheeto posted:

One of my required mods is one that gives the Novigrad alchemist a doppler and succubi mutagen to sell, because there's no way I'd ever be able to get those without feeling like a subhuman monster normally.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Constantly LARPing posted:

I just don't think there's anything we see in the games that indicate she was maliciously hiding things from Geralt.

It's been a long time since I played it, but I recall (having never read any of the books) taking an immediate dislike to Triss in Witcher 1 after that cutscene where you wake up and hear her talking on a megascope to another Sorceress, straight up telling her that she's manipulating and lying to Geralt in order to get what she wants regarding Alvin. You can confront her about it and she'll wave it off like it was nothing but refuse to talk any further, and shortly after you get the choice on whether to take Alvin to live with Triss or Shani. It just seemed reasonable to me to take Alvin to Shani rather than the lady who was openly lying to me and that basically knocked Triss out of the rest of the game.

I was irritated they were shoved back together at the start of Witcher 2 regardless, but Triss felt like a much better/likeable character in that game so it worked out. That all said:

The correct and only answer.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
gently caress all that noise. If CDPR had given Triss an actually good outfit all of you nYensayers would be team Triss the way god truly intended. :colbert:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Triss's default clothes are good :colbert:

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Popping in just to say Hearts of Stone is pretty great. I've been to the wedding and am about to do the heist. In many ways, it feels like a different game, still gritty but more adventurous and extravagant somehow. Seeing new sides of Geralt. Also running into some character that I killed an Arch-griffin for and not remembering him or the quest at all. Would be fun reading some short retelling of Geralts story in this game. "May 23d 1272. Raised the dead, broke out of prison, herded some swine, won a Gwent tournament, murdered a monarch and killed three werewolves."

One thing I've come to hate, though, is the fact they blocked off so many of Velen's waterways and lakes. Why even have boats if you can only use them to get around an inch of the map? I get they had to put of borders for the first chapter (I guess?), but they could've made them temporary. Like a engineering corps has built a temporary bridge blocking a river that later gets removed.

Also, I'm glad to see there is still debate on Yen vs Triss going on. :)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Also, I'm glad to see there is still debate on Yen vs Triss going on. :)

It would be done by now if all the Yenners would just fuckin' realize they are wrong. :argh:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Please don't insult our Yen Friends

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Get lost, Trisstards.

*rubs himself with lilac and gooseberry*

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Yen is a really great, good sorceress according to many reports. Triss is a talentless loser. Sad!

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Yen is a really great, good sorceress according to many reports. Triss is a talentless loser. Sad!

@realRadovidV

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
All you worthless schizophYennics need to take a long walk off a short cliff. :mad:

*rubs balls over stuffed unicorn*

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm curious what do people not like about gwent? I think the starting decks and cards can be pretty inhibiting in playstyle but once you collect enough+ heroes you start to have a lot of options on how you want to play. I really like Northern Faction for the Foltest's commander horn and its +1 card perk for winning a round...Get a hand with 1 or 2 spies, a decoy, 1-2 healers, and catapults that x2 their damage and it turns preeety zany to see how you can choke the other player out

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

bef posted:

I'm curious what do people not like about gwent?
Maybe it's just boring to some people.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The only right decision is that Gerald is such an emotionally broken and awkward person that he ends up with neither one of those women. They may have quite deep flaws, but they are still to good for him.

But I liked how disappointed Dijkstra was when he was shipping Triss and Gerald refused to kiss her.
Up to the end I kind of liked Dijkstra in general. Making that stupid power play while Gerald was still around was kind of retarded though. But I didn't really want to kill him either. He's probably the best of the underground rulers who keep Novigrad stable.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 20, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Shani was too good for the Witcher universe.

bef posted:

I'm curious what do people not like about gwent? I think the starting decks and cards can be pretty inhibiting in playstyle but once you collect enough+ heroes you start to have a lot of options on how you want to play. I really like Northern Faction for the Foltest's commander horn and its +1 card perk for winning a round...Get a hand with 1 or 2 spies, a decoy, 1-2 healers, and catapults that x2 their damage and it turns preeety zany to see how you can choke the other player out

I thought it was sort of unique in that it was a game of Card Chicken - bluffing instead of just overpowering your enemy -, but gently caress it was boring as poo poo.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Drifter posted:

I thought it was sort of unique in that it was a game of Card Chicken - bluffing instead of just overpowering your enemy

That's a nice way to describe it. Basically, the aim is to waste so many turns in the first round that the opponent is forced to play out most of his cards in the first turn, while you play basically nothing. In this case he has just two options. Either he keeps on adding cards, ruining his chances for the other two rounds, or he has to be satisfied with his 30 points lead, giving you all the time to play a strategic weather card and win the first round.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

bef posted:

I feel like it could be an interesting game with a human opponent, I'd love to look a man in the eyes and goad him into overcommitting to a round. As Gwent exists in Witcher 3, Northern Realms is kind of broken in my opinion. It's got the strongest card draw of any faction which turns out is really good in a game where you need to make ten cards last across three rounds. I pretty effortlessly made a Northern Realms deck that beat the everliving snot out of any deck that wasn't a siege-focused Northern Realms deck. I could have probably retooled it a bit to mop that one up, but instead I just threw together a siegebreaker Nilfgaard deck.

To be honest I never gave Monster or Scoia'tael a proper shot but given how many options exist to gently caress with melee cards I don't think they'd be great.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Easy to get the diagrams, but they're extremely expensive to get. Talking 20-30k per set easily so the biggest barrier to grandmaster armour is money.

Ah, maybe I'll build up my funds a bit then. I'm already half bankrupt from funding the wacky spell man, buying way too much Witcher gear, and also buying the pair of spectacles, which, as far as I can tell so far, do nothing except for add style, and were worth every penny.

Dr Cheeto posted:

I feel like it could be an interesting game with a human opponent, I'd love to look a man in the eyes and goad him into overcommitting to a round. As Gwent exists in Witcher 3, Northern Realms is kind of broken in my opinion. It's got the strongest card draw of any faction which turns out is really good in a game where you need to make ten cards last across three rounds. I pretty effortlessly made a Northern Realms deck that beat the everliving snot out of any deck that wasn't a siege-focused Northern Realms deck. I could have probably retooled it a bit to mop that one up, but instead I just threw together a siegebreaker Nilfgaard deck.

To be honest I never gave Monster or Scoia'tael a proper shot but given how many options exist to gently caress with melee cards I don't think they'd be great.

Everyone keeps saying Northern Realms is the best deck when Nilfgard has a leader ability that lets you play a card out of your opponent's discard pile and has just as much card draw through the spies. The extra card at the end of a round is only one card and it doesn't give Northern Realms an enormous card advantage. The Nilfgard deck is better. You can pull your own spy back from your opponents' discard pile after using it and if some Northern Realms fellow actually manages to play a spy that you can't decoy, the deck is absolutely loaded with enough recursion that you can replay their own spies on them from your own discard pile. I pretty much always empty my deck down to about 6-8 cards and win without ever going to round 3.

Monsters and Scoia Tael actually are just bad, though. I see their thinking - it has card draw in the form of instantly playing cards from its deck, but they're mostly cards that just get trashed by a good weather card and a scorch, and it isn't enough card draw. Plus playing from their own discard pile blows because they're mostly weaksauce 4-5 things that can't replay their ability to summon their friends. They're just bad decks.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
You've got a point, I was thinking more of the relative strength of the spies and hadn't actually noticed that particular Emyhr.

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010
I bought this game when the GotY edition came out, only just got around to playing it. I never got into the first two, and did not choose to simulate a Witcher 2 save when I started the game. I understand at least one quest will be blocked off because of this, so does anyone know a way to change that variable so the guy asks me the Witcher 2 questions when Geralt gets out of White Orchard?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Crummelhorn posted:

I bought this game when the GotY edition came out, only just got around to playing it. I never got into the first two, and did not choose to simulate a Witcher 2 save when I started the game. I understand at least one quest will be blocked off because of this, so does anyone know a way to change that variable so the guy asks me the Witcher 2 questions when Geralt gets out of White Orchard?

White Orchard really isn't very long, if you mash through all the dialogue you could probably get through it in two hours and just do it that way.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Goddamn, the ending to Heart of Stone is amazing. I almost wish I hadn't done it before the base game, because it's going to be hard for that ending to live up to Heart of Stone's.

I do hope the game starts dumping money once I start Blood and Wine. I spent down from about 60k to 30k making armor and whatnot and have never really recovered from it selling what I loot on quests. I suppose there will be a mountain of Hidden Treasures and Treasure Hunts in Toussant.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Drifter posted:

It would be done by now if all the Yenners would just fuckin' realize they are wrong. :argh:

I mean I'm used to it. The writers also took the time to tell me constantly that Yen is the best. I just assume everyone hates the smell of fresh bread. I pity them mostly.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

nah I just prefer love interests who actually have a personality

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, like I didn't know anything about Triss using Geralt after having his memories erased, except that she said that she used him one time, but she seems really boring. Her voice actor sounds bored and I don't really know that much about her besides that she wants to save the mages from Radovid. Yennifer's at least a character, even if a lot of her dialogue is weird entendre for no reason.

I hope that they do make a Witcher 4, but I'm a little torn on whether I'd want one that is in a totally different place or time in the Witcher universe, or if they focus on one of the Wolf School bros and let you load a save. Lambert just doesn't feel like a full game protagonist and Eskel feels too much like Geralt, but I'd love to play as a different character and encounter Geralt for one of the sidequests, or learn that I hosed myself out of a quest in the new game by making Cerys Queen.

On the other hand, playing as a witcher from some previously unheard of school in a distant kingdom would free them up to stretch away from the established lore a bit.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

nah I just prefer love interests who actually have a personality

And non-awful voice acting.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, like I didn't know anything about Triss using Geralt after having his memories erased, except that she said that she used him one time, but she seems really boring. Her voice actor sounds bored and I don't really know that much about her besides that she wants to save the mages from Radovid. Yennifer's at least a character, even if a lot of her dialogue is weird entendre for no reason.

I hope that they do make a Witcher 4, but I'm a little torn on whether I'd want one that is in a totally different place or time in the Witcher universe, or if they focus on one of the Wolf School bros and let you load a save. Lambert just doesn't feel like a full game protagonist and Eskel feels too much like Geralt, but I'd love to play as a different character and encounter Geralt for one of the sidequests, or learn that I hosed myself out of a quest in the new game by making Cerys Queen.

On the other hand, playing as a witcher from some previously unheard of school in a distant kingdom would free them up to stretch away from the established lore a bit.

I'd love to have a Vesemir game during his youth.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

SirSamVimes posted:

I'd love to have a Vesemir game during his youth.

The Witcher 0: Hat stories.

Also Ciri will be hidden somewhere in the new cyberpunk game, whenever that releases.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

DoctorTristan posted:

The Witcher 0: Hat stories.

Only if one of the sidequests references the Mad Hatter from the 60's Batman show.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

2house2fly posted:

There's a fair few monsters in Skellige, my favourite side quest was about a Leshen terrorising a village.

The shot where it walks behind a tree and comes out from behind a completely different tree much closer to the camera is cool af

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Digirat posted:

The shot where it walks behind a tree and comes out from behind a completely different tree much closer to the camera is cool af

That was the Novigrad one, but yeah, still a great shot.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

They've already said that they're not going to make another Witcher game. For now they're concentrating on Cyberpunk 2077 and even if they did make more Witcher after that is done I doubt it would be Geralt and co., their story is done.
Still the Witcher world is big enough to tell other stories in, so hopefully in the 2020s we'll get one!

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Helith posted:

They've already said that they're not going to make another Witcher game. For now they're concentrating on Cyberpunk 2077 and even if they did make more Witcher after that is done I doubt it would be Geralt and co., their story is done.
Still the Witcher world is big enough to tell other stories in, so hopefully in the 2020s we'll get one!

I'm sure you'll find there's plenty of stories to be told for Witcher Ciri which is the best ending.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Eopia posted:

I'm sure you'll find there's plenty of stories to be told for Witcher Ciri which is the best ending.

Yeah, I wonder what she's up to being the Empress/

:colbert:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Digirat posted:

Yeah that was one of the coolest little random moments of the game for me, I wasn't expecting anything like that and bam.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Helith posted:

They've just said that Geralt's story is done, they have not said anything about the Witcher universe being done.