Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Bear in the Woods posted:

I found that if you strip someone before they die (I have a mod that reduces the chance to outright kill someone, so quite frequently), the clothes won't count as belonging to a dead person.

Seems like a loophole but welp.

What's the name of the mod that does that? I tried looking it up but just found a bunch of ridiculous cheat mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devdisigdu
Mar 23, 2016

The shadows lengthen
In Carcosa.

Truecon420 posted:

What's the name of the mod that does that? I tried looking it up but just found a bunch of ridiculous cheat mods.

No RNG in Death.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=27580.0

Because Tynan thinks that an incapacitating hit should also have a 67% chance of death for non colonists/prisoners. It cuts down on capture rate, sure. But people dying to having their toe blown off and collapsing from the pain shouldn't also lead to instant death.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
A simple solution to the deadmans clothing problem

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=731735894

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Devdisigdu posted:

No RNG in Death.

Because Tynan thinks that an incapacitating hit should also have a 67% chance of death for non colonists/prisoners. It cuts down on capture rate, sure. But people dying to having their toe blown off and collapsing from the pain shouldn't also lead to instant death.

I'm pretty sure it's less what Tynan thinks should happen and more that it's a deliberate nerf to picking the best recruits from raiders and organ harvesting.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Cling-Wrap Condom posted:

Dug into a rock face and some robot monster shot all me blokes dead, strewth. Game owns.

Yeah if you're new to the game you will get a note on the right that says ancient danger (when one of your pawns is close to the area). Basically, you don't want to open it until you have a mix of armored/helmeted pawns, automatic weapons and charge rifles. Be sure to build a marble square for each of your pawns to take cover behind before you open the ruin. It usually looks like a man made wall in the rocky part of the mountain. By the time you open the ruin you should have a decent prison setup so you can capture any people found inside (if you want to).

Radiohead71 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 20, 2017

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

Radiohead71 posted:

Yeah if you're new to the game you will get a note on the right that says ancient danger (when one of your pawns is close to the area). Basically, you don't want to open it until you have a mix of armored/helmeted pawns, automatic weapons and charge rifles. Be sure to build a marble square for each of your pawns to take cover behind before you open the ruin. It usually looks like a man made wall in the rocky part of the mountain. By the time you open the ruin you should have a decent prison setup so you can capture any people found inside (if you want to).

Yeah I had another crack at a similar structure on my tribal save where I've paradoxically got far better tech and it's full of chryochambers! sweet!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

We were doing so well, but then a disaster beyond any other occurred, and though these five survived it, we were far too weak to recover when a massive raid arrived and started grenading the hell out of us. We gave better than we got; we killed eight or nine of them outright, and left a couple of others wounded on the ground. But it was not to be. After surviving Deep Ones and Star Vampires, raids, drop assaults, food shortages, and a particularly vicious bout of malaria, the disaster that weakened us so was the maddenning of every boomrat on the map.

RIP in rest, Golden Castle.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Aaaaaa I took a patch from Steam and it just trashed all my mods :gonk:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'm pretty sure it's less what Tynan thinks should happen and more that it's a deliberate nerf to picking the best recruits from raiders and organ harvesting.

Except this is already punished pretty severely by the (stacking!) mood penalties for organ harvesting and selling prisoners and how hard it is to recruit prisoners.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Slime posted:

Except this is already punished pretty severely by the (stacking!) mood penalties for organ harvesting and selling prisoners and how hard it is to recruit prisoners.

There's a maximum stack to those penalties, and if you're willing to wait you can still recruit any prisoner you take. It's not a severe punishment, I harvest tons of organs and tank all the mood penalties with how happy my colonists are.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Slime posted:

Plus you've got to have the infrastructure to keep prisoners alive for however long you need them, meaning the bare resources for their lodgings (not much admittedly, but still), the power for heaters/coolers/etc., and the food they need, as well as any medical supplies you deem them worthy of (and whatever you need for harvesting). On top of all that, more of them downed means more time to bleed out before they can all be rescued. Capturing prisoners is powerful, and no question that mod is a buff, but it's not entirely free.

e; could probably do with a minor prisoner expansion, so you can put them to work, or even have them work towards their freedom or integration into the colony, and it can make recruitment easier because they're starting to get relationships with your pawns and have a general "This is a reasonable way to treat prisoners" buff or something, but at the same time if they see the chance they might just bugger off on you.

More than that though I want a mod that lets pawns become barbers and give haircuts.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 20, 2017

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I just slap torches in the room and never have any problems. Sure they might get heat stroke but they never die from it. And I have hundreds of healroot from harvesting a single sun lamp year round. It's really no cost at all for any colony of significant size, especially considering the enormous profit and extra labor from new colonists. That's why the mechanic exists.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Flesh Forge posted:

But you aren't shown the infection progress until after 63% (unless you cheat) so ... basically if anyone gets malaria early in the game those colonists are almost certainly doomed. Guess I need to start with a cheesier doctor colonist because Medicine: 6 was not enough even with constant micromanagement. It's neat that the disease is perfectly made to trash your whole autosave history, sort of a stealth iron man mode.
e: this happened late in the first season, and I don't think I could possibly have had a drug lab unlocked, built and batches of this stuff produced at that point even if I had ignored stonecutting and any defense research.

Treatments slow the progression of the disease. A 100% quality tend slows Malaria down to just 16% of the normal progression; high quality tends practically halt the progression and

Unfortunately, I lied about the full extent of the benefit of reactive Penoxycycline for Malaria. Since the wiki page calculated a much higher tend requirement than I was, I checked out my calculations... and there was a bug, I was calculating the tend quality required to die exactly one day before acquiring immunity. After fixing it, I get a slightly higher number than the wiki, because my math somewhat better considers the impact of malaria's blood filtration reduction, needing at least 8 skill medicine to survive with herbal medicine. Taking Penoxycycline reactively drops that down to "just" 6 skill.

Azhais posted:

I don't even care about the awesome armor I can't use, just that the only checkbox in my outfit editor is "allow non-deadman's clothing" and unchecking it results in people stripping everything that isn't corpse clothes.

I'll just edit my outfit to only permit armor vests, tshirts, dusters, cowboy hats, and pants with >80% durability I guess. Should eliminate most raider gear

There's no inverse checkbox because the pawn apparel selection code applies a massive penalty for deadman's apparel. Pawns will pick non-deadman's 50% hp Awful quality power armor over 100% hp Legendary deadman's power armor - and power armor is less affected by the penalty than any other item type. If your pawns are autonomously picking deadman's gear, it's because they have no non-deadman's option available.

Mzbundifund posted:

I'm not sure what exploit it's intended to balance. Raider clothes were already bad craftsmanship and heavily damaged. They sell for like 1-10 bucks.

In A15 (and earlier), there was a secret 50% sell value penalty to all apparel and weapons (on top of the already terrible sell prices), to limit the silver earned from looting dead raiders. Unfortunately, this hosed over any players that decided to make apparel or weapons to sell, and sell prices were too opaque for them to realize it. The intent of the deadman's debuff was to limit the value of dead raider clothes without loving player crafted clothes.

Devdisigdu posted:

No RNG in Death.

47%.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Zhentar posted:

Treatments slow the progression of the disease. A 100% quality tend slows Malaria down to just 16% of the normal progression; high quality tends practically halt the progression and

Unfortunately, I lied about the full extent of the benefit of reactive Penoxycycline for Malaria. Since the wiki page calculated a much higher tend requirement than I was, I checked out my calculations... and there was a bug, I was calculating the tend quality required to die exactly one day before acquiring immunity. After fixing it, I get a slightly higher number than the wiki, because my math somewhat better considers the impact of malaria's blood filtration reduction, needing at least 8 skill medicine to survive with herbal medicine. Taking Penoxycycline reactively drops that down to "just" 6 skill.

What I'm hearing is, start with at least one (preferably more than one) doctor with 10+ medical skill. I guess I'm OK with this new approach of handling disease, because previously Jungle was the easiest biome by far, except for heat wave incidents.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."
Do these mods exist?

Leather: Everything just drops one kind of leather
Dye: Select colors for clothing

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Is there a beginners guide for this? Never played this or dwarf fortress.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

There's a tutorial in game.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Flesh Forge posted:

Aaaaaa I took a patch from Steam and it just trashed all my mods :gonk:

loving hell it happened to me too!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
There wasn't a patch, Tynan said it was a bug caused by the latest steam update.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/294100/discussions/0/143387886726767756/
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=29516.msg301517#msg301517

But if you restart Steam it apparently works now.

...but you have to re-enable everything.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It wasn't a game patch, it was a patch of the Steam client itself.* And I had to take more steps than that, restarting the Steam client and then verifying game files did not help - I had to add a mod (the mod list backup mod, wish I had had it installed before this happened oops) before Steam would unfuck itself.

*yes I realize this is what you just said

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

straw man posted:

Do these mods exist?

I think you can skin anything skinnable already.

Oh wait, you mean getting rid of [animal] leather and replacing it with just leather?

DayGloOreo
May 2, 2012

Fblthp had always hated crowds.

Google Butt posted:

Is there a beginners guide for this? Never played this or dwarf fortress.

There is an excellent guide by Hieronymous Alloy, who posts in this thread regularly.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=813720217

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

straw man posted:

Do these mods exist?

yeah, i use patchwork leather and area rugs, but there are alternatives (i prefer area rugs for dyes, but i haven't really looked into the other leather mod)

e: there used to be a unified leathers mod, but it's discontinued

patchwork leather: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=833735722
stitched leather: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=840904991

area rugs: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=827346960
dye vat: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=740002420

Nut to Butt fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 20, 2017

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm convinced that a hotbox defense isn't viable, at least not in vanilla A16. Does anyone know of any good heating/freezing mods?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Is that no RNG death mod on steam? I can't get the mods downloaded from the ludeon forums to work or show up in my mod list, no matter how I extract them, where I extract them to, or what have you.

I have specifically looked at how steam formats and places the mod folders, and set them up the same, but no dice.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

McGiggins posted:

Is that no RNG death mod on steam? I can't get the mods downloaded from the ludeon forums to work or show up in my mod list, no matter how I extract them, where I extract them to, or what have you.

I have specifically looked at how steam formats and places the mod folders, and set them up the same, but no dice.

That's... odd because they are just drag and drop.

If you go steam > properties > local files > browse local files there should be a mods folder, mod folders go in that folder, that's it.

So the file structure should be mods/[mod folder] and then the [mod folder] folder should have at least an /about and a /defs folder.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jan 20, 2017

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

OwlFancier posted:

If you go steam > properties > local files > browse local files there should be a mods folder, mod folders go in that folder, that's it.

I'm pretty sure there's a literal "open mod folder" button on the mods page too

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

straw man posted:

Do these mods exist?

The closest I've seen for 16 is Vegetable Garden, where one of the new benches (loom) allows you to make blended leather.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
It wouldn't work. How would you handle the current system of different animals leather giving different insulation values when used in clothing?

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Just make them all the same across the board I guess. Most animal leathers have a relatively small variance in their insulation quality in real life anyways.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."

Carcer posted:

It wouldn't work. How would you handle the current system of different animals leather giving different insulation values when used in clothing?

Standardize on one. Thanks for the feedback on these everybody who replied. Spoiler alert, I asked hoping neither of these existed, as I'm looking to write them.

It looks like the leather types are part of the animal race defs, so I think that mod is as simple as going through and find/replacing all the existing leather types in the XML files.

Color is probably going to take code instead of just configuration. The interface I'm imagining has a regular Windows-style color picker dialog as part of the bill details on the tailor bench. Based on the way the others are implementing it - colored cloth - it sounds like that's not exactly how the game is architected and may take a bit of creativity to achieve.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Mzbundifund posted:

If someone gets a mental break and starts wandering they'll spend so much time out of bed they'll probably die.

Amputate leg.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
The game could really use a restrain action where the pawn tries not to hurt the target while taking them prisoner, with the downside being that if it fails then your pawn just took a few hits from the target. Success would increase a fuckton by multiple pawns piling on one. It would be handy for stopping berserking colonists without, y'know, maybe accidentally killing them.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

OwlFancier posted:

So the file structure should be mods/[mod folder] and then the [mod folder] folder should have at least an /about and a /defs folder.

yeah, that is the source of my confusion. I tried exactly that, to the letter, through that exact process, and it didn't work.

I gave up and went and learned javascript instead, seemed easier.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I send you this file in order to have your advice!
I've been playing this game without reading this thread... Dev mode is fun

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Slime posted:

The game could really use a restrain action where the pawn tries not to hurt the target while taking them prisoner, with the downside being that if it fails then your pawn just took a few hits from the target. Success would increase a fuckton by multiple pawns piling on one. It would be handy for stopping berserking colonists without, y'know, maybe accidentally killing them.

That'd be really good, I agree. The closest I know of is this: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=824831260 which lets you stick people in straitjackets so they can't do much while losing their marbles. Also, protip, the Cthulhu mods are ace and should be strongly considered by everyone.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Mister Adequate posted:

That'd be really good, I agree. The closest I know of is this: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=824831260 which lets you stick people in straitjackets so they can't do much while losing their marbles. Also, protip, the Cthulhu mods are ace and should be strongly considered by everyone.

I don't use the Cthulhu mods because I'm not really interested in injecting Lovecraft into my space opera, but everything I've heard about them has been good.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Mister Adequate posted:

Could you give a few sentence starter's guide for these? I'm not sure what I should be doing or when I should be attempting it. I did an unmodified crashlanded start scenario on Randy Intense, and nothing seems different apart from the fact that all my characters have this "cult-mindedness" meter in their needs & mood screen. Do I need to crack open the ancient danger or something to get the mod content started? I've only played for like 2 game days so far.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Eventually a big, red, scary tree will appear and one of your colonists will go to it and write an arcane book, which you can use to build a research bench that gives you access to cult stuff like altars and cult attire and such. You can then build a temple and designate how often your pawns worship the various gods you can discover through research. Once you've worshiped enough or sacrificed enough food and animals you'll be able to sacrifice pawns to use spells. For Cthulhu, the first god I discovered, there's a spell to cause ship pieces to rain down on the map and another that replaces one of your pawns appendages (Including eyes) with various tentacle themed limbs that give a significant boost to related stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
What is the best way to deal with Star vampires. Usually I have to sacrifice a pawn to see the drat things, then it charges my firing line.